Fix or replace the monorail

Disone

Well actually the ferry boats are significantly more reliable then the monorails.

You seem not to realize that there are many occasions even during peak periods where the monorails are not operational and the magic kingdom gets by just fine with operating watercraft and buses.
I don't know that I would call it "just fine". Massive bottle neck of humanity is more like it. But yes, technically the can get by with out it, but unless it happens at a really low time for transportation demands, its pretty much Chaos at the MK entrance with the monorails down.

peter11435

Yes, the ferry boat is TOTALLY more reliable than the Monorails. I love it when there is only one ferry boat in operation and you have to wait an hour and 40 minutes to get on one. :rolleyes:
I don't think you understand what the term reliability means in this context.

Regardless the point is that the magic kingdom can function just fine without the monorail. The ferry boat and buses when fully operational can accommodate the demand to and from the magic kingdom.

I have to ask, why would you have chosen to wait nearly two hours to ride the ferry boat?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

Regardless the point is that the magic kingdom can function just fine without the monorail. The ferry boat and buses when fully operational can accommodate the demand to and from the magic kingdom.

I have to ask, why would you have chosen to wait nearly two hours to ride the ferry boat?

You've clearly never been to a closing when the Monorails were down.

peter11435

I don't know that I would call it "just fine". Massive bottle neck of humanity is more like it. But yes, technically the can get by with out it, but unless it happens at a really low time for transportation demands, its pretty much Chaos at the MK entrance with the monorails are down.
That's because they are usually unprepared for it when the unreliable monorails go down and down have staffing and vehicles ready to efficiently handle the crowd with watercraft and buses. If the the monorails were closed permanently they could replace their capacity with mouse house buses and fully operational ferry boat.

Brer Oswald

No, what I am saying is that MANY guests stay on property resorts that are NOT connected via monorail...(POP, AS resorts, AOA, etc.)
I don't know about you, but we're NOT paying 500.+/ night to stay in ANY resort for the amount of time we actually spend in our rooms...I'm probably one of the ONLY people who LOVES the bus system...I'm not paying extra for Minnie vans, Uber or rickshaw. We (family of 4) has NEVER had a problem making our tours, B'fast reservations, etc. while using the busses.
Yes I see what you are saying, but the majority (over half) of people visiting the park are staying off site and driving to park at the TTC, and there are a few people staying onsite that have a car and drive over to the TTC as well. Disney isn't stupid, they know that they can't possibly transport people from the TTC to Magic Kingdom by ferry alone, especially when they have only 2 during peak times, and only 1 during non peak times (which are still busy mind you). So unless Disney fills in part of Seven Seas Lagoon to make a parking lot right in front of Magi Kingdom, I don't see why they would ever close the Monorails.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I have, and I know how chaotic it can be. But this is because they are not prepared when the monorails suddenly go down unexpectedly.

Which just goes to prove that Monorail is critical to meeting the transportation needs and can not easily be replaced. Buses are maxed out and Ferries are maxed out. There is no excess capacity available.

Brer Oswald

Because they said 20 minutes for the ferry boat and 20 minutes for the monorail. I had not yet ridden the ferry boat that trip.

peter11435

Yes I see what you are saying, but the majority (over half) of people visiting the park are staying off site and driving to park at the TTC, and there are a few people staying onsite that have a car and drive over to the TTC as well. Disney isn't stupid, they know that they can't possibly transport people from the TTC to Magic Kingdom by ferry alone, especially when they have only 2 during peak times, and only 1 during non peak times (which are still busy mind you). So unless Disney fills in part of Seven Seas Lagoon to make a parking lot right in front of Magi Kingdom, I don't see why they would ever close the Monorails.
They can and do run three ferry boats during peak times as well as mouse house buses to the MK from the TTC.

There have been peak times, including a Fourth of July a few years back where the monorails were down and they operated with only watercraft and buses from the TTC. So actually Disney knows that they can transport guests to the magic kingdom without the monorails.

peter11435

Which just goes to prove that Monorail is critical to meeting the transportation needs and can not easily be replaced. Buses are maxed out and Ferries are maxed out. There is no excess capacity available.
No, it can't be easily replaced with no warning, because the staffing is simply not available. But when necessary they can and do run buses from TTC to MK to supplement the watercraft and replace the monorails. If they planned to close the monorails acccomadoations could be made to bus operation to ensure this was always an efficient option.

peter11435

Because they said 20 minutes for the ferry boat and 20 minutes for the monorail. I had not yet ridden the ferry boat that trip.
I don't understand why you would have continued waiting that long. After 30-40 minutes I would have went to the monorail line myself.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
No, it can't be easily replaced with no warning, because the staffing is simply not available. But when necessary they can and do run buses from TTC to MK to supplement the watercraft and replace the monorails. If they planned to close the monorails acccomadoations could be made to bus operation to ensure this was always an efficient option.

World Drive is a two lane road with the limitation of the water bridge, it is a parking lot already during peak times. Watercraft have a long cycle time and are weather dependent. When monorail watercraft and buses work together they make a good system, take one out and it gets bad. I really doubt they're going to extend a dual carageway highway to the MK.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
It's interesting to see historical pictures of the front of the magic kingdom from the 70's till today and the expansion of bus stations and docks, no matter how much is added it still can't meet the transportation needs. Getting corralled into holding pens and queues to leave the park doesn't do well for guest satisfaction.

peter11435

World Drive is a two lane road with the limitation of the water bridge, it is a parking lot already during peak times. Watercraft have a long cycle time and are weather dependent. When monorail watercraft and buses work together they make a good system, take one out and it gets bad. I really doubt they're going to extend a dual carageway highway to the MK.
Look I don't actually think Disney will ever get rid of the monorails. For many reasons. I was simply challenging the accusation that Disney would not get rid of the monorails because they couldn't get guests to the MK any other way. That is simply not true. If they wanted to they could transfer the guests to the MK without the monorail. I'm not saying it would be easy or convenient but it could be done.

Disone

That's because they are usually unprepared for it when the unreliable monorails go down and down have staffing and vehicles ready to efficiently handle the crowd with watercraft and buses. If the the monorails were closed permanently they could replace their capacity with mouse house buses and fully operational ferry boat.

I have seen it both planned and unplanned. Planned is better but also IS planned at the lowest demand times, and still was not efficient as having the trains running.

peter11435

I have seen it both planned and unplanned. Planned is better but also IS planned at the lowest demand times, and still was not efficient as having the trains running.
I've seen both. Including unplanned on a major holiday. I'll take mouse house buses to the Magic Kingdom over the monorail any day of the week.

Driver

Abandoned monorail beams would be an eyesore - and hazard - no one would miss.

I just don't get it. Everyone's trying to reduce their carbon footprint. Disney built a small solar farm, for goodness sakes. Why not upgrade the monorail, expanding it through the property and reduce the number of desiel exhaust genetating buses on the roads?
Actually Duke Energy built the solar farm but at the same time it is the largest hidden Mickey in the world. You have to go on Goggle earth to see it.

Disone

I've seen both. Including unplanned on a major holiday. I'll take mouse house buses to the Magic Kingdom over the monorail any day of the week.
unplanned on a major holiday huh? Sorry, I have too much experience at the MK to believe this statement. Your trying to sell me that the monorail went down on a busy holiday crush and they compensated just fine with ferry boats and bus. I know this is not possible. I will not argue this anymore.

Monorail Lime

As for the World Drive water bridge crunch problem, I could see them circumventing that by sending TTC/GF/Poly buses the long way around on Floridian Way once the road improvements in that area are complete. It's a much longer route but would benefit from splitting the load and being almost exclusively bus traffic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom