Fix or replace the monorail

asianway

Considering an, what appeared to be, extended and enhanced monorail loop through epcot is in the blue sky future world drawing, and they hired a new transportation chief, I'm hoping the monorail system will be pleasantly maintained and enhanced in the next few years.

EDITED for grammar...stupid phone.
I must be missing it - the drawing has the same monorail track, only with the Communicore buildings demolished.

peter11435

Considering an, what appeared to be, extended and enhanced monorail loop through epcot is in the blue sky future world drawing, and they hired a new transportation chief, I'm hoping the monorail system will be pleasantly maintained and enhanced in the next few years.

EDITED for grammar...stupid phone.
The artwork shows the monorail unchanged from its current configuration.

Laketravis

I've said it before and I'll say it again - The day they get rid of the monorails is likely the day I stop visiting WDW. That will be the straw that breaks my back. If there's one thing that, for me, is synonymous with WDW, it's the monorails. I love them. And I cannot imagine visiting the place without them.

100% agreement. For our family, WDW without a monorail is like a Mouse without ears. It may seem silly to some, but the monorail is an icon of uniqueness that we've long associated with WDW since our first visit in 1972.

As far as these astronomical cost projections based on municipal/government projects (which are bad examples in of themselves since they have severely inflated costs) the original cost of the monorail infrastructure was estimated to be at $1M per mile. Even adjusted for inflation since 1970 ($1.00:$6.40) with a healthy amount added for contingencies, it doesn't take a seasoned construction estimator to calculate the current costs of the piers/beams/electrical at somewhere in the ballpark of $10M per mile. Refurbing the existing line and adding 10 more miles of line would be approximately $150M-$200M. Then add new monorails themselves and the cost to upgrade/expand this icon would be less than that of NFE.

montyz81

I don't understand how Parks and Resort can replace 3 trains in CA but can't continue to replace trains in FL. How dose one get the budget and the other doesn't. I thought they were all run by the same division within Parks and Resorts.

Monorail Lime

I don't understand how Parks and Resort can replace 3 trains in CA but can't continue to replace trains in FL. How dose one get the budget and the other doesn't. I thought they were all run by the same division within Parks and Resorts.
Disneyland only put new fiberglass bodies on their existing (very small) trains. Didn't replace them.

That whole project was peanuts compared to the cost of developing new trains for WDW.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Because TWDC is headquartered out there and DLR is in their back yard?

montyz81

Disneyland only put new fiberglass bodies on their existing (very small) trains. Didn't replace them.

That whole project was peanuts compared to the cost of developing new trains for WDW.
I thought the entire MK V trains were scrapped. If what you say is true, then the frames for those monorails have been running around the tracks since the late 60s

Monorail Lime

I thought the entire MK V trains were scrapped. If what you say is true, then the frames for those monorails have been running around the tracks since the late 60s
It's true but I misspoke slightly. Mark V were the brand new bodies on the Mark III chassis. Mark VII is a restyling of the existing V bodies plus new noses. Still the Mark III chassis from the late 60s underneath!

Brer Oswald

The Monorail is how most people get to the Magic Kingdom. Disney makes a ton of money off of the Magic Kingdom. When the Monorails are in dire need of repair, they will be fixed. They won't ever be discontinued.

Monorail_Orange

This section of beam has been fixed for about a week now. Its on the resort side of the MK Station. However, thank you for starting yet another "complain about the monorail" thread.
This is part of the problem with the interwebz...old info being propagated as if it were current. Good to hear the corrective action has already happened.

Monorail_Orange

The Monorail is how most people get to the Magic Kingdom. Disney makes a ton of money off of the Magic Kingdom. When the Monorails are in dire need of repair, they will be fixed. They won't ever be discontinued.
I made the point earlier to never say never. But I certainly hope you're right.

Smiley/OCD

No, the monorail is NOT how most guests get to the MK...most resorts are not on the loops

Smiley/OCD

Do you think that most of the guests visiting the Magic Kingdom are staying on property? Most people can't even afford to stay on property.
No, what I am saying is that MANY guests stay on property resorts that are NOT connected via monorail...(POP, AS resorts, AOA, etc.)
I don't know about you, but we're NOT paying 500.+/ night to stay in ANY resort for the amount of time we actually spend in our rooms...I'm probably one of the ONLY people who LOVES the bus system...I'm not paying extra for Minnie vans, Uber or rickshaw. We (family of 4) has NEVER had a problem making our tours, B'fast reservations, etc. while using the busses.

peter11435

Don't dare say the ferry boat. That's even less reliable than the Monorail. And trust me, I've used all ways to get to the Magic Kingdom. Parking at the Contemporary and walking over is the best way, but Disney isn't always keen on letting you do that.
Well actually the ferry boats are significantly more reliable then the monorails.

You seem not to realize that there are many occasions even during peak periods where the monorails are not operational and the magic kingdom gets by just fine with operating watercraft and buses.

Brer Oswald

Well actually the ferry boats are significantly more reliable then the monorails.

You seem not to realize that there are many occasions even during peak periods where the monorails are not operational and the magic kingdom gets by just fine with operating watercraft and buses.
Yes, the ferry boat is TOTALLY more reliable than the Monorails. I love it when there is only one ferry boat in operation and you have to wait an hour and 40 minutes to get on one. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom