Fix or replace the monorail

DisneyNerd12

Original Poster
So I was going to the Magic Kingdom from the TTC and we took monorail lime I think and we sat in the 2nd car... First off, The A/C was broken the whole ride but not only that the car kept making these cracking sounds and was dirty as hell! Someone needs to do something about the monorails... I also heard there was a monorail beam crack somewhere by the Grand Floridan... Is there any news or rumors if they are fixing or replacing the monorails and tracks anytime soon? (They are in very poor conditions and are in need of being replaced)
DIctuedUIAAXMw6.jpg:large

Last edited by a moderator:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
What people agreeing with me that TDO is looking for an excuse to discontinue monorail operations???

The temperarure in hell is dropping and the fabric of space and time is tearing as I write this.

I'm glad i am no longer alone in thinking that Disney believes that cheap airport shuttle buses are more MAGICal (to institutional shareholders) than the WDWMonorail System. Which just happens to be one of my favorite attractions

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Technology has improved greatly since its construction. And here Disney could be a leader. Would hate to see them make such a decision. Maybe if they'd stop building more DVC, they'd have the funding. It's one of the unique aspects of WDW.

Kamikaze

There's gonna be this big hole in a resort they'll need to do something with....

You mean close the hurricane doors? Tough one.

Technology has improved greatly since its construction. And here Disney could be a leader. Would hate to see them make such a decision. Maybe if they'd stop building more DVC, they'd have the funding. It's one of the unique aspects of WDW.

DVC is a different division with a different budget. Has nothing to do with Capital Expenditures at the WDW Resort.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
You might close the hurricane doors? Tough one.

DVC is a different division with a different budget. Has nothing to do with Capital Expenditures at the WDW Resort.

But you still have the space inside...and abandoned tracks.

TDWC can easily shift budget around in their divisions - just would need board approval.

Kamikaze

But you still have the space inside...and abandoned tracks.

TDWC can easily shift budget around in their divisions - just would need board approval.

The abandoned tracks would be an eyesore, sure.

Because of the way timeshare laws work, I don't think DVC money can be allocated to other divisions. Thats why CRO buys blocks of points at the DVC resorts so they can sell them as normal hotel rooms.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The abandoned tracks would be an eyesore, sure.

Because of the way timeshare laws work, I don't think DVC money can be allocated to other divisions. Thats why CRO buys blocks of points at the DVC resorts so they can sell them as normal hotel rooms.

I didn't mean existing budget and DVC revenues. Take revenues that might be allocated from other sources to build new resorts and instead replace the monorail. Invest in a transportation method that can move more guests than buses, avoiding all the congestion of surface transportation and has the added bonus of the cool factor. You can only put so many buses on the roads before moving guests via surface transportation becomes like getting around LA.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Disneyland has suffered the blemish of the abandoned Peoplemover tracks for going on two decades now and no one really seems to care. I can't imagine the WDW monorail beams will be any different.

Abandoned monorail beams would be an eyesore - and hazard - no one would miss.

I just don't get it. Everyone's trying to reduce their carbon footprint. Disney built a small solar farm, for goodness sakes. Why not upgrade the monorail, expanding it through the property and reduce the number of desiel exhaust genetating buses on the roads?

DisAl

The system will be decommissioned before any significant Capex outlay occurs.
Anything other than a major upgrade would be O&M rather than capital. O&M money is usually harder to come by in most large companies than capital because of the way tax laws are structured. That being said, it still stinks that they are not properly taking care of one of the iconic symbols of WDW. I think Walt would be very disappointed if he saw how the parks are being run.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Abandoned monorail beams would be an eyesore - and hazard - no one would miss.

I just don't get it. Everyone's trying to reduce their carbon footprint. Disney built a small solar farm, for goodness sakes. Why not upgrade the monorail, expanding it through the property and reduce the number of desiel exhaust genetating buses on the roads?

Your point assumes TDO cares for anything beyond gross profit margin anymore. As to the solar farm rest assured somehow the taxpayer funded that project

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Anything other than a major upgrade would be O&M rather than capital. O&M money is usually harder to come by in most large companies than capital because of the way tax laws are structured. That being said, it still stinks that they are not properly taking care of one of the iconic symbols of WDW. I think Walt would be very disappointed if he saw how the parks are being run.

The only thing that counts anymore at WDW is the gross margin. Everything else is expendable

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom