Fix or replace the monorail

Figment2005

Your figures are almost spot on ... good job!. But I wasn't looking at it from a " which is more efficient " My line of thinking is how they both serve a valuable role. Hands down the train is more efficient, but it has limits. Like if it stops " you got a problem" and it can only go where there is a beam. A bus can go anywhere but cannot carry as many guest. As already mentioned you have to look at transportation as a whole, when it's all up, it's good. And as I said earlier what do they do when things go wrong?..., call in the busses they are the quick fix! In the end I love the trains, I truly enjoy just going for a ride I can't imagine WDW without them it's an icon.
I wasn't disagreeing. My post was more about the energy being used rather than the people being moved regarding efficiency. Are 4 trains more energy efficient than 20 buses?

Driver

I wasn't disagreeing. My post was more about the energy being used rather than the people being moved regarding efficiency. Are 4 trains more energy efficient than 20 buses?
I understand and I am agreeing with you as well. Again for efficiency trains always win.

Andrew M

WDW does not experience much freezing (<32) weather. This can greatly extend the lifespan of concrete.

Additionally the beamway is made from pre-tensioned concrete members. (Google this for further information). In essence the internal steel tendons within the concrete which are used to accomplish structural integrity of the beam are designed for maximum durability, corrosion resistance and lifespan. These beams are most likely over-engineered and with proper maintenance can have an indefinite lifespan.

I know the picture on the first page was dramatic, there was not penetration to the internal structure of the beam, it was a pothole on the beam. I know still traveling today, if you keep a lookout for it, you can see patch jobs done many years ago and ones done more recent. It's something that has been going on for a while and will continue to do so.

I think I remember the most recent major structural issue with the beamway was an expansion joint on the high portion of the beamway between the GF and MK which over extended. The problem was resolved by placing stiffening braces between the support columns which made up the expansion joint.

Just remember the NYC subway system is running on an infrastructure that dates back to the beginning of the 20th century, and it is a much bigger and less maintained system than WDW. There's no reason why these beam ways can go another 50 years.

I'm sorry but sound structural analysis and topical facts have no place on these boards.. ;)

But yes, completely right. The photo at the start is some minor surface wear and does not at all impact the structural integrity of the beam. Pre-cast concrete has a very long lifespan when it is spared from a constant freeze-thaw cycle.

rsm

The monorail is my favorite part of WDW...

But I'd bet money that within 15 years we'll see the Epcot beam demo'd and replaced with gondolas & the 12 trains cannibalized for parts to "refurb" into 5-10 trains to cover the 7SL beams.

jt04

The monorail is my favorite part of WDW...

But I'd bet money that within 15 years we'll see the Epcot beam demo'd and replaced with gondolas & the 12 trains cannibalized for parts to "refurb" into 5-10 trains to cover the 7SL beams.

I think the part about the monorails only existing on the original beams is 100% correct.

The Epcot tracks need something more 21st century. IMO.

Disone

Its not a matter of clean with Orange and Blue. The trains do get washed on a schedule, but the custodial crew also causes damage. Its been a known issue and management is trying to take action.

For cabins, There is no custodial crew for monorail. Yes I have asked and been told they are not cleaned while in storage because they are not at level and while in operation you never see a custodial host cleaning a train. Whoever told you a custodial host is damaging the trains made that up. That said There is nothing custodial host would do to the cabin that guests aren't already doing. Most of the damage inside the cabins comes from guests pulling on things and climbing on things where they should not be in from Wheelchairs and strollers going rogue.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Some were trying to claim they were in need of replacement.
Well, that's what he just said -- "there's no reason why these beamways can go another 50 years." I read that as saying the beams will have to be replaced.

jt04

Well, that's what he just said -- "there's no reason why these beamways can go another 50 years." I read that as saying the beams will have to be replaced.

They are fine with proper maintenance. In 50 years automated individual transport will have long since been perfected. That is what will finally replace beams. Not wear and tear. IMO.

ABQ

Actually Duke Energy built the solar farm but at the same time it is the largest hidden Mickey in the world. You have to go on Goggle earth to see it.
Actually, the forest is a larger one.

8-31-2017 9-36-13 AM.jpg

rsm

It would seem that the confusion is from a typo. I believe the statement that the OP was trying to make was 'there's no reason why these beamways can't go another 50 years.'

Figment2005

For cabins, There is no custodial crew for monorail. Yes I have asked and been told they are not cleaned while in storage because they are not at level and while in operation you never see a custodial host cleaning a train. Whoever told you a custodial host is damaging the trains made that up. That said There is nothing custodial host would do to the cabin that guests aren't already doing. Most of the damage inside the cabins comes from guests pulling on things and climbing on things where they should not be in from Wheelchairs and strollers going rogue.
Nobody told me anything. My information is first hand thank you. I also never said anything about the interiors being damaged by custodial, but the outsides being scratched by lifts and hoses being used to clean the exterior. Please refrain accusing someone of bad information unless you are certain your information is correct.

Disone

Nobody told me anything. My information is first hand thank you. I also never said anything about the interiors being damaged by custodial, but the outsides being scratched by lifts and hoses being used to clean the exterior. Please refrain accusing someone of bad information unless you are certain your information is correct.
Your first hand knowledge and mine are different. Are you a custodial manager in mk resorts? I am and what you are speaking of is not custodial. Thank you. I am sorry you took offense, none was intended.

Last edited:

Figment2005

Your first hand knowledge and mine are different. Are you a custodial manager in mk resorts? I am and what you are speaking of is not custodial. Thank you. I am sorry you took offense, none was intended.
It is the after hours cleaning crew. Not sure if they are under the custodial banner or maintenance, but it is the crews that clean them in shop or in the station after hours that has caused some of the problems. One night they completely soaked the interior of one of the cabs because they chose not to shut a simple window while washing. I just lumped the teams together since they both "clean". Sorry if I offended.

ppete1975

Its in every promo video and commercial for Disney since it opened (I seriously didn't research this so if there was a video in 1987 I'm sorry), I would say... CASTLE...... then way way down is monorail..... then spaceship earth......and that's all of the iconic imagery at WDW, and some might even say spaceship earth isn't on that list. But the castle and to a lesser extent the monorail are the things most people identify

Jedi Stitch

IMHO.....uh, no...In My wildest Imagination that defines Tangent, ya that's it.
Disney should build a dedicated Mono rail from MCO to a new Guest Relations Center, where you check in for your accommodations. Then by Boat, Gondola, Bus, Monorail, Train, "Minnie"van, Bike, Segway, Pedi-cab, or LPC (Leather Personnel Carriers) you are taken to your hotel.

With monorail expansion being so expensive, is it possible to build the rail at ground level in undeveloped areas to decrease cost? Can the trains navigate mild inclines?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom