First week of January is COLD!

Driver

Original Poster
Anyone coming down this week may want to leave bathing suits and shorts at home. Our local weather reports are telling of a chance of snow flurries Tuesday/Wednesday nights, lows around 32. We are worried about some of our plants. Daytime highs upper forties to low fifties on those days. It doesn't get descent again till Sunday 1-7-18 and even then it's only upper 60's. Bring clothing for layering. Some guest claim they brought long johns. (not kidding)

Driver

Original Poster
Sounds similar to our first week on vacation on Dec. 7th - very cold. Is this normal for January?
It's not out of the question but it does happen on occasion. Last year we had one or two days like that but it wasn't a whole week at once. It's the jet stream. I have family in the northeast and they are getting hammered compared to what we are seeing down here. It must be the global warming LOL. But seriously I put the thread out there for the benefit of anyone coming down this week to be prepared. Last night the park (MK) was sparse (30,000) good night to walk on attractions if you could brave the cold.

The Mom

Premium Member
Florida Winter of 1983/84 was colder than this. The high was only in the teens for a few days in a row; my SIL visited WDW and had to wear the clothes (including hat and gloves) that she had worn down from Chicago. A lot of the housing that is in the Orlando area came about because of the failure of so many orange groves that year- the farmers just sold the land off to developers.

Raineman

It's not out of the question but it does happen on occasion. Last year we had one or two days like that but it wasn't a whole week at once. It's the jet stream. I have family in the northeast and they are getting hammered compared to what we are seeing down here. It must be the global warming LOL. But seriously I put the thread out there for the benefit of anyone coming down this week to be prepared. Last night the park (MK) was sparse (30,000) good night to walk on attractions if you could brave the cold.
I'd bet if people want to ride Splash Mountain or Kali River Rapids this week, they may have the whole ride to themselves.

21stamps

Didn’t it snow in Orlando NYE in 2001 or around there? I remember one year it was freezing. Key West ran out of space heaters for sale.

It’s -1 where I am today. :(

StarWarsGirl

It's not unheard of. We go every January/February and have experienced temperatures that low. Last time was two Januarys ago. There was a blizzard going on back home in Maryland. I had to reschedule my flight home because of it. Extra Disney day, oh well. :joyfull:

We were completely bundled up walking around MK. Temps in the low 40s and high 30s. Sent a couple of pictures home to friends and said, "Look, we're cold!" To which I got a "Shut up, SWG" response. :hilarious:

We always watch the weather in the winter so we're prepared for how we should pack. It could be 80. It could be 40. It's Florida.

Minnesota disney fan

Here in Maine, furnaces are failing, pipes are freezing up and bursting , events being cancelled. Day after day after day of minus degree cold. OMG ... its only the beginning of winter!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I hear you. Here in northern Minnesota, we have had -45 degree days. Today it is finally getting above zero, to 7 degrees. However, the wind is 15 to 20, so the wind chill is around -20 to -25.
So, 60's sound great, and even 40's would be wonderful to us:)
It's all in your perspective.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom