First Trip to DLP

Minnie1986

Original Poster
For my birthday this year, my SO and I are going to Paris for 5 days, one of which will be spent in DLP (first time for both of us). Can anyone provide some must dos; should I get a ParkHopper? No kids, so no kiddie rides will be necessary. I know the RER is the best way to get there, but other than that, I am at your mercy. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bartattack

Yes, you should. Although The Walt Disney studios park is not the prettiest park... it has some rides that are fun. Ratatouille, Crush Coaster (and classics like Tower of Terror and Rock 'n rollercoaster). and some nice shows: cinémagique and the future replacement for animagicque: 'Mickey & the magician'.

When will you be going? At the moment lots of rides and buildings are in refurbishment (in preparation for their 25th anniversary, next year).
http://www.dlpguide.com/calendar/closures-refurbishments/
this might help to see what will be closed...

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I think (although I could be wrong) that all tickets are park hoppers. I would suggest planning to do the things you can't do or are different from WDW/DL. If Big Thunder is open for you definitely do that, it is the best of all the Big Thunders. Pirates too has a different experience, but that might be changing as they are making the mistake of adding Jack Sparrow to it. It is a very pretty park though.

We found the quick service restaurants in Disneyland Parc to be VERY disappointing, we had good meals at Walt's and Bistro Chez Remy (table service). You can also go to the Downtown Disney area (not its real name but I'm blanking on it) for decent food. The Dreams show at night is really great and I would suggest staying for that at night.

BoardwalkGlenn

We went to Paris last year and did a 1-day trip to DLP for our first visit. We bought our tickets from 365TicketsUSA website, and the Mini (low season) 1-day/2-park tickets were about $65 each. I was skeptical at first, but they worked perfectly.

Try to get do the Ratatouille ride first and explore that area of WDSP, walk through Toy Story Playland, see Cinemagique (post Happy Hour worked fine for us). I did ride their Tower of Terror since it was a short wait. The 30+ minute wait for Crush's Coaster didn't seem to move, so I got out of that line.

In DLP, ride Phantom Manor, Big Thunder (it's different because it's on an island, so there's a long tunnel at the beginning/end of the ride), PotC, Space Mountain 2, explore Main Street Arcades, Dragon's Lair under the Castle, Alice's Labyrinth, Pinocchio's Voyage.

We also found a Happy Hour spot in bar of King Ludwig's Castle restaurant in the Disney Village. Perfect way to rest for a bit after some rides but then go back in the parks for evening shows.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I think (although I could be wrong) that all tickets are park hoppers.

This is not correct - there are both 1 Park and 2 Parks tickets. In order to be able to go to both parks in the same day you would need to buy the appropriate ticket.

Also, certain tickets (the less expensive ones!) are not available at the gate but only if purchased in advance.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Yes, you should. Although The Walt Disney studios park is not the prettiest park... it has some rides that are fun. Ratatouille, Crush Coaster (and classics like Tower of Terror and Rock 'n rollercoaster). and some nice shows: cinémagique and the future replacement for animagicque: 'Mickey & the magician'.

When will you be going? At the moment lots of rides and buildings are in refurbishment (in preparation for their 25th anniversary, next year).
http://www.dlpguide.com/calendar/closures-refurbishments/
this might help to see what will be closed...

Thanks for this. I will be going in September, so unfortunately, those dates aren't up yet. Sucks that I am going the year BEFORE the anniversary, but oh well!

Minnie1986

Original Poster
We went to Paris last year and did a 1-day trip to DLP for our first visit. We bought our tickets from 365TicketsUSA website, and the Mini (low season) 1-day/2-park tickets were about $65 each. I was skeptical at first, but they worked perfectly.

Try to get do the Ratatouille ride first and explore that area of WDSP, walk through Toy Story Playland, see Cinemagique (post Happy Hour worked fine for us). I did ride their Tower of Terror since it was a short wait. The 30+ minute wait for Crush's Coaster didn't seem to move, so I got out of that line.

In DLP, ride Phantom Manor, Big Thunder (it's different because it's on an island, so there's a long tunnel at the beginning/end of the ride), PotC, Space Mountain 2, explore Main Street Arcades, Dragon's Lair under the Castle, Alice's Labyrinth, Pinocchio's Voyage.

We also found a Happy Hour spot in bar of King Ludwig's Castle restaurant in the Disney Village. Perfect way to rest for a bit after some rides but then go back in the parks for evening shows.
Great information. I was wondering where I could get tickets online. Thanks!!

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Is the fast pass system different in DLP than it is for WDW? How far in advance can ride reservations be made, etc?

JillC LI

Here's a link to my trip report from our first trip to DLP last summer. We got one day-two park passes in advance, and got there extra early to be first into the parks and be able to do as much in both parks as possible. If you don't do any sit-down meals, there will be more time to explore. Definitely hit as many attractions that are unique to Paris as possible - you will see that in my report.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/dlp-in-a-day-first-timer-trip-report.901563/

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Since you said you'd only be there for one day, avoid the weekend if possible, as the parks are much more crowded with annual passholders.
I'm definitely going on a weekday. I will always do my best to avoid a DW park on a weekend, when possible.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Here's a link to my trip report from our first trip to DLP last summer. We got one day-two park passes in advance, and got there extra early to be first into the parks and be able to do as much in both parks as possible. If you don't do any sit-down meals, there will be more time to explore. Definitely hit as many attractions that are unique to Paris as possible - you will see that in my report.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/dlp-in-a-day-first-timer-trip-report.901563/
Thank you so much for this information. Perfection description of how to do both parks in one day. I will definitely be printing this out before we leave the US!

friedriches

I can tell you that despite a lot of what you read online, the two-park ticket is definitely worth it, because even though it is a hot mess, you won't regret visiting the studios park. (It's good to see other people here agree!)

Rock'n Roller Coaster is, in my opinion, marginally better than in Orlando (it's weaker until you get through the launch, then the ride itself is actually wayyyyyy better). Crush's Coaster is super unique. And Cinemagique remains one of my favorite Disney Parks shows. Plus Ratatouille is a ton of fun. Hop over there, knock those out (Crush's Coaster doesn't have FP, so be ready to wait) and then go back to DL for nighttime stuff. The food options and nighttime experiences are just way better over there. I'd skip ToT.

Some personal notes re: DL itself:
1. Space Mountain is a blast but brace yourself at the start, leading up to the launch (has a launch like RnR). I've hurt my neck twice there.
2. They're not the best in Paris, not close, but I love getting a croque monsieur on Main Street for lunch.
3. Do the castle early on, the walkthrough and the cave... my first trip I forgot about it entirely in the rush of the day, and the second trip I almost did the same. You just don't think about it in the course of all of the really cool attractions.
4. BTMRR is undoubtedly the best version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom