First Trip in a couple weeks

Matt7187

Original Poster
Ok, so I am going to be in Universal for the 1st time from October 8-12th, and I am very excited! I know the big things like Harry Potter, Transformers and stuff and know to hit those first. What are some suggestions on what order to hit the rides, some that don't live to the hype, some better than the hype, and such. Also, what are some good places to eat in the parks? Thanks!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Based on trips to Uni last November and this past April, here's the list of attractions that I found had long lines -- these are not necessarily the best attractions, by the way.

Harry Pottter and the Forbidden Journey -- buy by the end of the day, it was virtually a walk-on
Minion Mayhem -- line remained long throughout the day. Do this first.
Simpson's Ride -- stayed long
Dr. Seuss High in the Sky Long-Name Thing -- Very slow loader. Catch it early, cuz it aint worth a long wait.
Pteranodon Flyers -- this is the little pseudo-coaster in the Jurassic Park play area. It has a terrible ride capacity -- Maybe 300 people per hour...or less. If you're gonna ride it (mostly for kids), hit it up early.
The waterslide in the kid's area at Universal Studios -- again, low capacity.

Everything else, including Spider-Man, Transformers, Mummy, Rip Ride Rocket, etc., had lines significantly shorter than the ones noted above, to the point where I'd say just ride everything else in whatever order you want.

Almost all of the attractions at Uni are worth a visit. Here are a few that I would say you could skip without missing anything, but frankly, if you have time, hit 'em all.

Dr. Seuss High in the Sky thing
Caroseussel
Sinbad show
Pteranodon Flyers
Fear Factor, Beetlejuice, and Blues Brothers shows (catch 'em if the timing works, but no big deal if you miss)
Daytime parade (really nothing special at all - Disney does parades well, not so much Uni)
One Fish Two Fish and Kang and Kodos -- Both are spinners with a little extra. I like 'em, but you could skip 'em.
Storm Force -- Tea Cups with noise. Pretty sure Uni put this in just to make sure they laid claim to the X-men

My top ten, in no order (haven't been to Diagon Alley):

Forbidden Journey, Spider-Man, Hulk, Minion Mayhem, Rip Ride Rocket, Simpsons, Shrek, Twister, Mummy, Disaster

As for food, I have been underwhelmed at Uni. It's better than Six Flags, but doesn't compare, IMHO, to WDW. Mythos is the highest rated spot. I found it decent, but nothing special. Three Broomsticks has great atmosphere and the food was good, although there is a limted menu. If the menu looks good to you, I can recommend that. All else is standard park fare, with a decent amount of variety. Simpson's fast food lane is cool because of the diversity, but the food was nothing special. You can also hit up CityWalk for food options. I found those more interesting in general.

JillC LI

Since you will be there multiple days, on the day you go to IoA first, hit Ollivander's Wand Shop before Forbidden Journey because the lines get long and move very slowly for the wand show since only about 25 people can fit inside the shop for each show. Try a frozen butterbeer.

DisneyDaver

We are still thinking about whether we are doing HHN. And we are staying on property, so we have unlimited express

I would highly recommend HHN. I'm not even a haunted house fan in general, but HHN an incredibly well done event and I love the houses there.

As previous posters have mentioned, there are some great rides at UOR in addition to the ones you mentioned ... I particularly love Spiderman and Mummy.

Matt7187

Original Poster
I would highly recommend HHN. I'm not even a haunted house fan in general, but HHN an incredibly well done event and I love the houses there.

As previous posters have mentioned, there are some great rides at UOR in addition to the ones you mentioned ... I particularly love Spiderman and Mummy.
I am on the edge about HHN. I am the furthest thing from a fan of being scared, but some of those houses themes really are drawing me in, especially Alien vs Predator, Halloween, and Roanoake.

DisneyDaver

I am on the edge about HHN. I am the furthest thing from a fan of being scared, but some of those houses themes really are drawing me in, especially Alien vs Predator, Halloween, and Roanoake.

I went to HHN in 2012. In general I don't like "getting scared" either, but I still loved the event (even though I jumped from being scared a number of times). I would have liked to go this year as Alien vs Predator sounds very cool, but I can't make it down to Orlando until November.

danpam1024

IOA:
IDK if your a "drinker" but the Back Water Bar attached to Confisco's is a great place to chill out for a bit.
We try to walk around by the lagoon- the views are just spectacular from every angle- especially at night.
Hulk- after dark- gives it something extra.
RipSaw and Popeye are really great, but you will be SOAKED. I prefer to use the water cannons and make sure EVERY rider is completely drenched- makes my little black heart skip a beat.
JP scares me-still- and I'm 38.
I like to walk through the caves in Camp Jurassic. I think the area is beautifully done.
FJ is THE BEST RIDE EVER. Hands down- the queue is stunning.
Suess Landing is cute, we usually make time for all the rides, just because they're silly and remind me of being a kid.

Walking over to USF- stop at the HRC for a quick drink/snack. Love the bartenders there- Birdie is amazing :)

USF:
My favorite ride is MIB- I.Love.It. The first time, even if you have express pass, go through the "regular line"- it's a better show :)
I like to watch the little magic shows- in either park (and end up buying the crap too :D)
HRRR is fun, love to rock out on a coaster.
Mummy is unique, also a must do.
Simpsons makes me queezy, but I still ride- it's silly. Plus it gives me a reason to chill out at Duff Beer gardens and have a Duff Dry (not that I need a reason) and a Big Pink.
T2 and Transformers- I personally could take it or leave it- no line, give it a whirl.
ET- THE classic.
Cinematic Spectacular is worth staying late for, but I'm a sucker for night time shows.
We like to walk around "Streets of NY" the detail is really incredible.

One of my very favorite things to do is go to the mini golf after dark. The Sci Fi side.
We really enjoy CW- there's so much to do and such a variety of GOOD food. Bob Marley's is one of our favs, but the service (although they are super nice) is WAY TOO SLOW. So just relax if you go, you're going to be there for a while :)

EDIT- I just saw that you're 15- so disregard the drinking stuff :D although you're parents might appreciate it!

Matt7187

Original Poster
Well, I am back, and I loved it!

I did not do HHN, but I still had a very good time. HP mostly lived up to it for me. I just didn't think Gringotts was that good. I thought the land was stunning though. Butterbeer is bæ, and I had too many to count. And I also love express so so so much, 10 times better than old FP, and a million times better than FP+.

4 rides made it into my top 10; Jurassic Park, FJ, Spiderman, and the Mummy. I would probably not go to Universal again for 3 days, but on a trip to Florida, I would for sure spend one day with Express.

Now for the question everyone loves to argue over; is disney or universal better? My answer...

Neither. They are totally different and geared towards different people. Disney is geared towards families, and built on nostalgia. Universal is geared towards teenagers and young adults, and built on cutting edge technology. It is like comparing apples and broccoli, you can't.

But thank you again for all of the tips, I implemented them into my families plans as much as I could!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom