First Trip. Did I Forget Anything??

Ariel4711

Hi all! :)

My husband and I are taking our girls on our very first trip (yes, first trip for both of us, too) to WDW in 20 days and I am starting to panic. I feel like I'm forgetting important details; HELP please!

I have done tons of research on here and other sites/blogs; spoken with family/friends who have gone to WDW multiple times; etc. We have the Park Hopper and got the Deluxe DP. I know we won't be able to fit everything in to our trip, especially since we will only be there for 4 days, so I have prioritized some things and am hoping to knock those out.

As of right now, our schedule looks like this:
Day 1
9am ADR at Hollywood & Vine
Stay in HS, FP+ TSMM, TOT, SWST(all before 2:30pm)
3pm check in at AOA (did early online check in)
Maybe go to Fantasmic..? Suggestions please.

Day 2
8am ADR at Tusker House
Day in AK (EM hour day), FP+ end around 1pm
Hoping to walk around and check out the animals in AK, specifically the giraffes (my youngest has never seen one and it's her fave animal)
6pm ADR at Rainforest Café (I know, I know -- the food isn't great, but we're going for our daughters)
Nothing scheduled after that.

Day 3
8am ADR at Crystal Palace
Day in MK; FP+
Considering going back to AOA for a break around 12 noon. Thoughts?
4pm ADR at CRT
MVMCP that evening (hence the mid-day break)

Day 4
No plans at all, except for maybe sleeping in ;) Open to any suggestions/recommendations you all have.

So here is a HUGE question I have -- should we drive to and from the parks and AOA?? (We will have our car)
I have heard so many negative things about Disney transportation, but I have also heard good things. I am SUPER nervous about the idea of going back to AOA midday on Day 3 and then being able to make it to our 4pm ADR at CRT on time if we use the buses. PLEASE HELP!

Another question -- is it worth using a FP+ on a character M&G? I know A&E are crazy popular, but I would hate to use up a FP+ for this. I was thinking of trying to meet them towards the end of the night when we go to MVMCP. Does anyone know if this may work?

Last question -- realistically, how much should we expect to spend while at WDW? I am having such a hard time gauging this because of the fact that we already have our meal plan/food included. We are planning on limiting our girls to only 2 souvenirs/toys each and don't plan on doing much shopping. We want to spend our time in the parks.
I also found out recently that there are tolls on the way to WDW, which I didn't realize. (Don't judge -- the only other times I've gone to FL I have gone to Miami ;) )

Is there anything else I am missing or forgetting?? (Sorry for making this so long!)
Any and all suggestions/recommendations/bits of advice are greatly appreciated! :)

Beckett

Sounds like you have everything! Did you do your online check in? And also, as a mother of a 9 year old, I have found it is better to give them an amount of money to spend instead of telling them pick 1 or 2 things because then they realize their worth and can decide if they want a few small things or one big thing. Have fun!

Upvote 0

DisneyFans4Life

I think you've captured pretty much everything. As for the transportation, I would use it for MK as the bus will drop you off right in front and it will save you from having to park and then take a ferry/monorail.

As for the souvenirs, give your kids a set amount of money to spend and let them decide. Whatever you decide to allow them, set aside some additional money just as a back up; the reason I say this is because it's your first trip and once you get in there and see everything and are excited...it's easy to go a bit overboard or want to buy something you may not have planned on getting. If you have a bit extra put aside...it won't be so bad to splurge.

Upvote 0

Ariel4711

Original Poster
Sounds like you have everything! Did you do your online check in? And also, as a mother of a 9 year old, I have found it is better to give them an amount of money to spend instead of telling them pick 1 or 2 things because then they realize their worth and can decide if they want a few small things or one big thing. Have fun!

Thank you!! :)
What do you consider a fair amount? Again, I am really bad at this part since I am not sure what to expect.

Upvote 0

Ariel4711

Original Poster
We usually do DHS and Epcot in the same day. Not sure if you know, but you can walk or boat to and from the parks.

Thank you!!
Now for my question -- do you mean that I can walk or boat from HS to Epcot, or do you mean in general? I have heard the boat ride into MK is worthwhile, but I also heard that would mean we have to drive there first.
I know WL has the boat that also takes you to MK, and I was considering that, but I'm not totally sure how that would work. (I'm assuming we would have to park at WL first?)

Upvote 0

Ariel4711

Original Poster
I think you've captured pretty much everything. As for the transportation, I would use it for MK as the bus will drop you off right in front and it will save you from having to park and then take a ferry/monorail.

Thank you for the advice!! Do you think we would make it on time if we leave AOA at 7:15am to get to MK by 8am for our ADR? I have heard the traffic getting in can be a nightmare! I don't want to get stuck.

As for the souvenirs, give your kids a set amount of money to spend and let them decide. Whatever you decide to allow them, set aside some additional money just as a back up; the reason I say this is because it's your first trip and once you get in there and see everything and are excited...it's easy to go a bit overboard or want to buy something you may not have planned on getting. If you have a bit extra put aside...it won't be so bad to splurge.
I am hoping we have enough saved up, because I am positive I will want to buy a ton of stuff (that I wasn't planning on originally spending money on) once I get there.

Thanks again! :)

Upvote 0

DisDadWoz

First piece of advice is RELAX...you look to have everything in order and it is a vacation:) Make sure you actually take in all the sights, sounds and smells that are WDW. If you take it too seriously you will not have fun. With that said, I would say drive your own car to and from if you really feel like it's going to be cutting it close time wise. Otherwise the transportation and/walking will get you there on time. As far as spending goes, much of it depends on what your kids are in to. This is just us but when we were initially going our girls each had a $25 Disney gift card that was "theirs" to use on whatever they wanted. It then moved up in $$$ as they grew older. That way they can buy what they want. One item for the entire amount or they used it for a few little things. Either way we knew exactly what the price was going to be. Enjoy your trip!!

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

Looks like we'll be at AoA at the same time. We arrive on the 12th and leave the 19th. This will be our 8th or 9th stay at AoA.
We have found that driving to the parks is much better, most of the time. We do take the bus to MK to avoid the ferry or monorail.
HS and Epcot are close to AoA. It doesn't take long to get there. We drive to MK on the days we have a very early adr at Crystal Palace. We just don't trust that the bus will get us there on time. We have gotten to the bus stop just as the bus was leaving and had to wait 20 minutes for another. We have CP early on the 15th. so we'll drive that morning. We have 'Ohana at 9:30 on the 13th, so we'll probably take the bus and either the launch or monorail to get to that one. We have gotten stuck on the monorail for 15 minutes or more many times. So be aware that does happen.
The bus stop at Epcot is far from the front gate. The tram drops you off right at the front at HS and Epcot if you drive to those parks. The parking lot at AK is so small, you can walk to the main gate if you don't want to wait for the tram. The buses do run fairly regularly at AoA.
Be aware that waits at park close can be 40 minutes, easy, to get on the bus, so take that into consideration. If we want to run back to the resort during the day and plan to come back to the same park, we do ride the bus for that.
Just for clarification, the giraffes are in the savannah, so you have to go on the safari in a truck to see those. You can't walk to see them except if you go to Animal Kingdom Lodge. There are two walk-through areas with tigers, gorillas, huge bats and such in the park though.
AoA has a really good food court, but get there early as it does get crowded.

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

Thank you!!
Now for my question -- do you mean that I can walk or boat from HS to Epcot, or do you mean in general? I have heard the boat ride into MK is worthwhile, but I also heard that would mean we have to drive there first.
I know WL has the boat that also takes you to MK, and I was considering that, but I'm not totally sure how that would work. (I'm assuming we would have to park at WL first?)
That launch is for the WL guests to get to the park. You aren't suppose to go to WL to park and then ride the launch. There really isn't any reason to do that anyway.

Upvote 0

Ariel4711

Original Poster
First piece of advice is RELAX...you look to have everything in order and it is a vacation:) Make sure you actually take in all the sights, sounds and smells that are WDW. If you take it too seriously you will not have fun. With that said, I would say drive your own car to and from if you really feel like it's going to be cutting it close time wise. Otherwise the transportation and/walking will get you there on time. As far as spending goes, much of it depends on what your kids are in to. This is just us but when we were initially going our girls each had a $25 Disney gift card that was "theirs" to use on whatever they wanted. It then moved up in $$$ as they grew older. That way they can buy what they want. One item for the entire amount or they used it for a few little things. Either way we knew exactly what the price was going to be. Enjoy your trip!!

Thank you!! I am trying to remember to breathe amidst preparing for this trip. I think I will feel much better once we are actually on our way there and it hits me that we are really on our way to WDW :D

Upvote 0

Ted Daggett

Remember that the meal plan is "included", but it does not include tips for the sit down service. The tips on your five meals could add up quickly...

I don't think it is worth wasting 90-120 minutes on the round trip from MK to AOA (depending on where you are in the park) to rest... maybe consider taking a couple of rides on the People Mover to rest, or watching Mickey's Philharmagic, instead of going back to the hotel.

It is probably too late to get a FP+ for A+E. I think are "sold out" seconds after the 60 day window opens up. You have plenty of character meals, I would think that is enough time with the characters, rather than wasting your time in line for a M&G.

We did early check in back in May 2015 at the Polynesian, and our room was ready at 11:30 am. You can set it up so you get a text when it is ready; you may not have to wait until 3:00.

You bought the park hopper, but based on your itinerary, it does not appear that you are hopping?

Upvote 0

Greenlawler

Answering Your Questions:
Maybe go to Fantasmic..? Suggestions please: Yes absolutely, if the kids are young there are frightening images and loud noises but for the most part this is a home run for our family.

6pm ADR at Rainforest Café (I know, I know -- the food isn't great, but we're going for our daughters) Skip it and try to get in Yak and Yeti or Tusker House
Nothing scheduled after that. Go back and enjoy your resorts pool, according to "Unofficial Guide's" research team the number one memory of a kids Disney vacation? Swimming in the resort pool.

Day 3
Considering going back to AOA for a break around 12 noon. Thoughts? 100% yes, my kids always need a break especially on Hard Ticket Party Days, if you don't take the break you will have sleepy, grumpy kids that night.
Day 4
No plans at all, except for maybe sleeping in ;) Open to any suggestions/recommendations you all have. I am guessing you have three day base tickets and that is why you have no Epcot? Stay the resort or do Disney Springs. Catch the Good Dinosaur at Disney.

So here is a HUGE question I have -- should we drive to and from the parks and AOA?? (We will have our car) Always use the buses when going to MK IMO. That way you do not have to deal with the headache of the Ticket and Transportation stop, with strollers. AK and DHS meh, but I would just take the buses.

Another question -- is it worth using a FP+ on a character M&G? I know A&E are crazy popular, but I would hate to use up a FP+ for this. I was thinking of trying to meet them towards the end of the night when we go to MVMCP. Does anyone know if this may work? I don't think so, I think that line is going to long all night.

Last question -- realistically, how much should we expect to spend while at WDW? I am having such a hard time gauging this because of the fact that we already have our meal plan/food included. We are planning on limiting our girls to only 2 souvenirs/toys each and don't plan on doing much shopping. We want to spend our time in the parks.
I also found out recently that there are tolls on the way to WDW, which I didn't realize. (Don't judge -- the only other times I've gone to FL I have gone to Miami ;) ) Your going to spend about $15 on tolls. The tips for your meals are the biggest hidden expense, get ready to blow $30-40 on that per table service meal. Your also going to be tipping your baggage person since you are going to the park before you can check in.

Most importantly like Dizdadmoz stated "Relax"! You've made your "plan" but do not stick to it to the detriment of your vacation. Just my opinion I might have scheduled AK or DHS day on your MVMCP night. That way you could have had another entire day at MK but I don't mean to stress you out ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Well, based on your plan you are missing several meals. If you did order the deluxe dining plan, you get 3 meals a day, and I don't think any of your listed ADRs require 2 credits. As the deluxe plan runs $100+ per night for an adult, you may be very hard pressed to get your money back if you are doing just 1 TS meal and 2 CS meals each day. While that is a totally valid use of the credits, just doesn't strike me as being cost effective.

Outside of that, have fun!

Upvote 0

Ariel4711

Original Poster
Remember that the meal plan is "included", but it does not include tips for the sit down service. The tips on your five meals could add up quickly...
Good to know, thank you! :)

It is probably too late to get a FP+ for A+E. I think are "sold out" seconds after the 60 day window opens up. You have plenty of character meals, I would think that is enough time with the characters, rather than wasting your time in line for a M&G.
This wasn't a "must do" for us, so that is fine with me. I thought I may try going at night *if possible*, but our youngest will live if she doesn't see them ;)

We did early check in back in May 2015 at the Polynesian, and our room was ready at 11:30 am. You can set it up so you get a text when it is ready; you may not have to wait until 3:00.
Already set up our text notification, and I am hoping the room may be ready a little early! I can't wait to check out the pool.

You bought the park hopper, but based on your itinerary, it does not appear that you are hopping?
We will may park hop on our first day, have thought about hopping after our meal at Rainforest Café (in AK), and may on Day 4, but I'm not 100% sure what we will do that day yet. My husband and I were thinking of possibly going back to MK in the morning, then Epcot in the afternoon...? Any suggestions? :)

Upvote 0

Beckett

Thank you!! :)
What do you consider a fair amount? Again, I am really bad at this part since I am not sure what to expect.
I give my 9 year old $100 for trips. She also has money saved up from her grandparents and dad. But to be honest, I do give her tiny extras here and there :rolleyes:... as for Anna and Elsa fastpasses, I know this might sound unbelievable but I am going during late December - early January and am 30 something days away from my trip and sometimes when playing around with my fastpasses I have seen availability for them! More than once! My daughter isn't that into it so I skip it but I was very surprised at this. Also, remember that after those 3 fastpasses are used you can add more one at a time :). Oh, and trip reports are greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

Ariel4711

Original Poster
Well, based on your plan you are missing several meals. If you did order the deluxe dining plan, you get 3 meals a day, and I don't think any of your listed ADRs require 2 credits. As the deluxe plan runs $100+ per night for an adult, you may be very hard pressed to get your money back if you are doing just 1 TS meal and 2 CS meals each day. While that is a totally valid use of the credits, just doesn't strike me as being cost effective.

Outside of that, have fun!
Thank you! :)

I left the other meals up in the air because I didn't want to bog us down with ADRs. Whereas I love to plan, my husband is very spontaneous, so I have a feeling that after spending some time in DHS (day 1) he is going to want to hop to another park in the evening. Same thing for Day 4 -- I didn't schedule any ADRs because I figured we would sleep in and then hop between 2 parks that day.
Our must-do ADR was CRT (2 credits), which we did get just before we go to MVMCP. (It will be an early dinner/late lunch.)

Upvote 0

Ariel4711

Original Poster
I give my 9 year old $100 for trips. She also has money saved up from her grandparents and dad. But to be honest, I do give her tiny extras here and there :rolleyes:... as for Anna and Elsa fastpasses, I know this might sound unbelievable but I am going during late December - early January and am 30 something days away from my trip and sometimes when playing around with my fastpasses I have seen availability for them! More than once! My daughter isn't that into it so I skip it but I was very surprised at this. Also, remember that after those 3 fastpasses are used you can add more one at a time :). Oh, and trip reports are greatly appreciated!

Awesome, thank you! My husband and I were about $100 each would be fair, but I wanted to check with those of you who have experience with this ;)

My girls' favorite princesses are Ariel and Cinderella, so I do think we will be ok without seeing the great A&E. My thinking behind our Character Meals was that that time would be used to do M&G, if you will, and then we could use FP+ for actual rides. Hopefully my youngest will be ok with that... haha!

I will def do some kind of a trip report when we get back, thanks! :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom