First time with kids

Fantasia2017

Hi everyone! The hubs and I are taking our two kids, ages 3 and 7, to Disney for the first time. I've been reading through these "first time " threads and they've been so helpful. However, I do have a few more questions. Everyone here is so knowledgeable!!

1- Bibbity Bobbity Boutique
Is it worth it? How expensive is it? I see they cater to boys as well. What can a boy get done? (My son is the 3 yr old).
Do they make over adults-just kidding.

2- We have 4 days to days to explore. We were thinking of doing universal studios- Harry Potter for one day. But man, it's so expensive. Then one day at MK and one day at Epcot. Or 2 days at MK. I'd love some Thoughts in this.

3- are the double strollers hard to navigate through the crowds? I'd like to rent one, even if it just holds our stuff. I am positive my kids would want to sit too. My 7 yr old is petite and I am sure she'd fit.

4- we are not staying on site so the dining option is not available to us. How much do I budget for food?

5- we are not renting a car how would we get to the parks? Uber? Are they required to have car seats?

I am positive I will have more questions!

Thanks!!

oliviosis

You may also want to ask this on the WDW with Kids board.
Can't help with #1, haven't done it
Same goes for Uni.
#3, the double stroller isn't easy to navigate through crowds but it's doable and a necessary evil for my kids. Be aware, strollers are not allowed in lines at attractions. We rented from Kingdom Stollers and got their double City Mini and it was great!
#4, I literally looked at menus for each park and picked out what I knew my kids/family was likely to eat and budgeted that way. It's different for each family so try to think about what is realistic not only for meals but also for snacks/treats.
#5, I've heard Uber is or was going to offer car seats in the Orlando area but I'm not sure where they are with that. You cannot have your child unrestrained in a vehicle so if that's not rolled out, I'm not sure if your options.

Upvote 0

oliviosis

You may also want to ask this on the WDW with Kids board.
Can't help with #1, haven't done it
Same goes for Uni.
#3, the double stroller isn't easy to navigate through crowds but it's doable and a necessary evil for my kids. Be aware, strollers are not allowed in lines at attractions. We rented from Kingdom Stollers and got their double City Mini and it was great!
#4, I literally looked at menus for each park and picked out what I knew my kids/family was likely to eat and budgeted that way. It's different for each family so try to think about what is realistic not only for meals but also for snacks/treats.
#5, I've heard Uber is or was going to offer car seats in the Orlando area but I'm not sure where they are with that. You cannot have your child unrestrained in a vehicle so if that's not rolled out, I'm not sure if your options.
Also be aware of the weight restrictions for the doubles. I think the combined weight is 100 lbs on the stroller I mentioned above.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

Congrats on your family's first trip! You guys are going to love it!

So this is just my personal, childless opinion having been to Uni and both Harry Potter areas a few times. I personally would not take my 3 and 7 year old there. Yes, you and your spouse are there too and I'm sure you'd love it. But considering how few days you guys have to spend and how expensive and extensive Uni is, I'd save it for when they're older and taller and can really take everything in and justify the cost. That's just me.

If I had 4 days with two young children, I personally would do an AK/Pool day, a Magic Kingdom day, an Epcot day, then go back to where your family loved it the most on the 4th day.

As for budgeting for food because we don't get the dining plan either, I do what @oliviosis does. I literally scroll through restaurant/snack cart menus to see what we would likely order, add around 15% to prepare for anything additional, and add for tipping if you plan to eat at any full service restaurants. Budget for water and drinks too unless you plan to bring that with you in.

What are your travel dates? That's helpful to know to prepare for crowds, special events, etc.

Upvote 0

MotherofaPrincessLover

#1 I think Bibbity Bobbity Boutique is great (as long as your daughter likes getting her hair and makeup done). We've never done it at Disney World, but have done it at Disneyland and on a cruise. There's pricing on the Disney website. Only you can really say if it's worth it.
#5 There are Ubers with car seats (I checked because I might be needing to take an Uber once or twice on my trip). The car seat Ubers are more expensive than the regular ones.

Upvote 0

becca_

So this is just my personal, childless opinion having been to Uni and both Harry Potter areas a few times. I personally would not take my 3 and 7 year old there. Yes, you and your spouse are there too and I'm sure you'd love it. But considering how few days you guys have to spend and how expensive and extensive Uni is, I'd save it for when they're older and taller and can really take everything in and justify the cost. That's just me.
I agree! I'd wait until a, they are older/taller, and b, until you can spend more time in Orlando. It's hard enough to "do it all" at Disney in just a few days, so throwing Uni in makes it more difficult!

If your 7 year old is able to walk without issue, I think you should only get a single stroller, doubles are very bulky, hard to maneuver.

Upvote 0

12in12

I would also skip Universal, your kids are too young for it and you have such a short amount of time. Can I ask why you are not renting a car? Cars are very cheap in Orlando and I think it would make your trip a whole lot easier if you had a car since you are staying off site. It would also give you the option to eat at local restaurants for at least some of your meals.
I would get a double stroller as a day in the park is exhausting even for adults let alone kids. It is also nice for the kids to sit in while waiting for the parade or fireworks etc.

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

1. I would personally skip BBB for your first trip. (Unless you know you won't be back for many years to come).
2. Skip Zuni as most everyone else has said. I would plan 2 days at MK, 1 day at Epcot and the last at either AK or HS
3. Definitely get a double. I would rent from Kingdom Stroller and absolutely get a double.
4. You can eat breakfast at your room/hotel and pack a lunch and then eat out for dinner. That's my plan for my upcoming trip. It will save you tons of money.
5. Uber is good. Keep in mind that Uber can only drop you off at TTC not st the MK front gates, so plan accordingly if you want to make rope drop at MK in the am. It will take you longer to get to the front of the park as you will have to take the monorail. Just a heads up.

You and the kids will have a blast! Happy planning

Upvote 0

FirstTimeForeigner

I recently brought a 7 year old and a 4 year old. We just rented a single and the kids took turns. We did take afternoon breaks though. Also both the 4 year old and the 7 year old enjoyed Hollywood studios because of the muppets, toy story, and Disney junior. It was easier to just keep everything within WDW for us as we also didn't have a car rental.

Upvote 0

RMichael21

1. Couldn't say, I don't have kids.
2. Like others, I'd say the perfect age for a first time at Universal is once they've both gotten tall enough to ride the bulk of the attractions AND when you think they'd be brave enough to try them. Plus, you have so little time, I'd recommend you wait a few years until you visit Universal. I would do 1 MK day, 1 day for Epcot (if you'd ever tried a Hibachi restaurant, Epcot has one that's a must-do on every trip) and 1 day for either AK or HS with a break at the pool. Then, you can use your last day for either MK again or whatever you didn't do on your AK/HS pool day.
3. Like I said, I don't have kids, but Disney's double strollers do seem like a hassle to maneuver through crowds.
4. Do what others said and check out the menus. Where it really adds up is the lunches, so pack sandwiches to save money. Also, instead of buying water at the parks, maybe shop at the grocery store when you get there and bring it to the park with you.
5. Uber's very easy to use. :)

Upvote 0

G8rchamps

1. Yes BBB before she is too old. Our DD is 10 and not as interested anymore. They could "prince" you son, but if he doesn't mind facepaint look into the pirates experience for him at Pirates in Adventureland! (less expensive too for a 3 yr old). You could also look into a haircut at the Main Street barber shop. They do gel and glitter.
2. Check the min height requirements for rides at UNI- we are Disney biased but have had UNI AP's for the last 11 months. My kids DS 12 and DD 10 don't care if we go back to UNI- they are waiting for me to get them back to Disney.
3. We were big on the stroller when they were smaller and for storage. If you plan to do long park days to see as much as you can I recommend getting one. Also remember it is OK to take a break/snack/sit so you don't wear anyone out (adults too)
4. Pre-reading menus is a great idea. We do shakes, granola, cereal, or doughnuts in the room for breakfast to $ave. QS lunch for 4 is usually at least $40 and up to $60 depending on selections, drinks, dessert, etc.. (most of the QS desserts are just OK). Dinner really depends of where you eat, but plan $25/adult and $10/kid to start for table service - although the 40oz porterhouse at the Yachtsman's Steakhouse is pretty good if you want to afford it.
5. I hear good things on UBER if you don't want to rent a car, but have not used at the parks. Remember to leave time for tram, monorail, ferry, etc for the parks. It can be 30-60 mins from parking a car to getting through security and into a park. I hate feeling rushed to get in.

Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

correcaminos

My personal experience with Universal is also to wait for the youngest to get older. I would suggest doing a park hopper if you are Harry Potter fans at least. I would do at least one day each at MK and Epcot. I would skip DHS this trip. Last day is up to you (AK or MK again).

I cannot speak for BBB. I don't have girls so we've never done it :)

I do not think your 7yo will need a stroller even if she is petite. We were well done with strolled by age 6. Age 5 was kind of silly to have them but where we stayed we walked to/from a lot of the parks.

Where offsite are you staying? I ask only for food options. Budgeting you can spend as little or as much as you like. We often do 2 meals in our room but we go back to relax. I'd opt to do breakfast in the bedroom if you can handle it with wherever you are staying and then do TS for lunch and QS for dinner. Most cost effective that way IMO.

Uber has car seats but you have to pay more to get the level that has them. Only your 4yo will need them in FL.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Commando

1. I wouldn't do BBB for the first trip. The kids are already going to be over the moon, and the packages there aren't cheap.
2. With a relatively short amount of time, I would stick to Disney. You could get a 4-day base ticket to Disney for the same as it would cost to do 2 days at Disney and 1 at Universal to see all the Harry Potter stuff. You could get 4-day park hoppers to Disney for a little more than the 2/1 plan.
3. A City Mini double is not a pain to push around the parks. Anything bigger, and I think would be too big.
4. Dining can vary from bringing your own food into the parks (which is allowed) to eating three character buffets a day. You need to figure out a plan and look at menus.
5. It seems like trouble neither staying onsite, nor having a rental car. I haven't heard of any offsite hotels that have a good shuttle service, and those shuttles are further away from the parks than the Disney buses. Even doing one trip to a park and one trip back to the hotel per day would add up quickly with Uber and a car seat. Probably $40 per day?That doesn't include possibly taking a mid-day break to go swimming at the hotel, stopping for groceries, or eating at an offsite restaurant that's not within walking distance of your hotel. Personally, I would either stay onsite or rent a car at the airport.

Personally, I would take the money that you would have spent on Uber, BBB, and Universal and do 4 days at Disney at Pop Century.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Congrats on your family's first trip! You guys are going to love it!

If I had 4 days with two young children, I personally would do an AK/Pool day, a Magic Kingdom day, an Epcot day, then go back to where your family loved it the most on the 4th day.

As for budgeting for food because we don't get the dining plan either, I do what @oliviosis does. I literally scroll through restaurant/snack cart menus to see what we would likely order, add around 15% to prepare for anything additional, and add for tipping if you plan to eat at any full service restaurants. Budget for water and drinks too unless you plan to bring that with you in.

What are your travel dates? That's helpful to know to prepare for crowds, special events, etc.

^^This.

Florida law requires children to be restrained when riding in a vehicle - and it's now a primary offense, so the cops can pull over any drivers they see with unrestrained children. I doubt every Uber driver will have a car seat for your 3 year old and will probably refuse to pick you up. I'm not sure if Florida law requires taxis to comply with the child restraint law, so that will be your option, if Uber is out. Are you staying in the Disney resort area? Many hotels have shuttles to the parks, but they don't run as frequently as Disney buses.

Upvote 0

correcaminos

^^This.

Florida law requires children to be restrained when riding in a vehicle - and it's now a primary offense, so the cops can pull over any drivers they see with unrestrained children. I doubt every Uber driver will have a car seat for your 3 year old and will probably refuse to pick you up. I'm not sure if Florida law requires taxis to comply with the child restraint law, so that will be your option, if Uber is out. Are you staying in the Disney resort area? Many hotels have shuttles to the parks, but they don't run as frequently as Disney buses.
With Uber you request specifically to have a car seat. It's not luck of the draw if you get it or not. It's a specific request.

Upvote 0

TiggerDad

Thanks for all the replies! We've decided not to visit universal. The kids are just too young. My daughter saw the bbb online and got super excited. We are not staying on the Disney property but my husband said our hotel providers a shuttle. We are very excited!
Better ask what times the hotel shuttle runs and which parks it goes to. Many hotel shuttles are infrequent and not at the times you want to go.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom