First Time Visitor - Where to stay?

GaryNorris777

Hello everyone, first time onto this site looks really good, am travelling with family (2 kids and ptnr) for first time on 19.10.04 for 3 weeks, we want to do a disney hotel for first 4 days then we are staying in a villa which is owned by friends. As it's first time i want a really nice disney themed hotel which the kids will like but don't want to pay too much as i'm sure we wont use that often? Also i have pre-bought a 10 day world hopper pass i think it was called but at a little confused what sort of pass to get for Universal & Sea World? What's the weather likely to be for October and November and do they make a big thing of Halloween?
Thanks for any replies sorry if i have gone on a bit? :veryconfu :snore:

dandaman

Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge tie for best themeing, but they're both deluxe resorts (i.e. $$$). Port Orleans French Quarter has down-to-earth pricing, and good themeing (P.S. rooms there have many Hidden Mickeys in them!).

Upvote 0

TheDisneyGirl02

Well, let's see...
It depends on how much money you want to spend. If you want to stay at a relatively new and less expensive hotel, stay at Pop Century. I know that the Carribean Beach is great too! When it comes down to it, it's up to you and your family! I hope you all have a wonderful trip!

TheDisneyGirl02

Upvote 0

EmeraldDolphin

Welcome! :wave:

you don't mention the ages of the 2 kids, but if they're younger they would really enjoy any of the All Star's Resorts.. and they are the least expensive. If the kids are older I would suggest any of the mid-priced range resorts, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs or Port Orleans French Quarter. Of course any resort you choose is going to be super-duper awesome... 'cuz you're in WDW!!! :) The weather in Oct. & Nov. is still fairly warm, you'll need shorts as well as slacks & don't forget a sweatshirt or two. Hopefully there won't be anymore hurricane's as that's toward the end of hurricane season! Enjoy your trip!!!

Upvote 0

Lauriebar

Hey Gary, welcome to the boards!!:wave:

With the fall specials that are going on right now, Animal Kingdom Lodge is a great deal. It is a deluxe resort and its theming is spectacular!! If AKL is still out of your price range try a moderate resort like Coronado Springs. Go to the Walt Disney World website and check them out!!

Are you speaking of a park hopper pass that is only for the Disney properties? Or a pass that includes Sea World and Universal as well as Disney? I'm not familiar with the latter but I am sure someone here is. We usually just buy one day tix to the non Disney parks if we go.

Oct. is great weather!! Still warm but not overbearing and little rain.

Since you will be there in Oct. you should look into Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party! This event is lots of fun. There are several threads describing it here or you can go to the Disney World site for info!!

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

GaryNorris777

Original Poster
Cheers Dandaman my first choicwould be AK and you can get that for $239 a night which is cool........but after reading a few reviews some people seemed to suggest that it was not very disney like? Thannks for the info.... :wave:

Upvote 0

GaryNorris777

Original Poster
What a great site so much information.....my kids are 5 & 10....I have just read loads about the Mickey's not so scary Halloween party.....sounds great....I was thinking of a budget of between $200 & $250 per night for the 4 nights....My disney tickets are just for Disney and associated parks!!!

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

Animal Kingdom Lodge

GaryNorris777 said:
Cheers Dandaman my first choicwould be AK and you can get that for $239 a night which is cool........but after reading a few reviews some people seemed to suggest that it was not very disney like? Thannks for the info.... :wave:

I think you should check the specials that are occurring on the rates now. We booked an AKL standard savannah room for $183+tax/night. These rooms are typically $315+tax/night. If you call WDW reservations every now and then to check availability, you should find something reasonable. We have never stayed at the AKL, so I can't tell you about the theme, but you can check the virtual tour on Disney.com. The theme looks excellent.

We were also considering the Fort Wilderness Cabins as well. We also found a special for those ($170+tax vs. $230+tax). Basically, you can't go wrong with any of the deluxe resorts, IMO.

As for the moderates, I have only stayed at the Caribbean Beach, which was wonderful. I thought it was very well themed. I am sure that the other moderate resorts are great, just never had time to check them, since we spend most of our time in the parks anyways.

Most of all, if you can't find a good rate for a deluxe, then the moderates are an extremely close second. Besides, you probably won't be spending a great deal of time in the resort anyways.

I was wrong earlier :brick: , we have 45 days to go :sohappy: :sohappy:

See you there :wave: :wave:

Upvote 0

BG Rugger

I would recommend the Carribean Beach or Port Orleans French Quarter.

By the way, has anyone ever noticed when a first timer to Disney is on the boards the members drool over the chance to tell them about things like a pack of wolves on a deer carcase??

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
One of the cheaper beautifully themed Resorts is Port Orleans. It's a moderately priced resort and you can choose between Riverside which reminds us of the old South and French Quarter which reminds you of New Orleans. Both a beautiful and if you are watching the $$ then I would go with a moderate. They also offer an arcade for the kids and a nice playground along with wonderfully themed pools. I do agree that you should take advantage of the new discounts that are out now.

If you need any help making the reservations, please contact me. I will give you free itinerary planning which will save $$ for you with phone calls to the US. I will help you set up all of the dining that you would like to do.

Pam

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

BG Rugger said:
I would recommend the Carribean Beach or Port Orleans French Quarter.

By the way, has anyone ever noticed when a first timer to Disney is on the boards the members drool over the chance to tell them about things like a pack of wolves on a deer carcase??

:lol: :lol: Agreed..

We all have our different opinions about where to stay and what to do first. But we all do agree on 1 thing, where to spend our vacation/free time--- WDW :sohappy:

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Welcome

I would encourage you to take Pam up on her offer. If you aren't familiar with the many many options, she can be a lifesaver.

As for general research, I would suggest getting a copy of the unofficial guide to WDW to begin mapping your time and giving the kids (and YOU) a chance to pick out some preferred activities.

I also suggest you check out the site www.allearsnet.com for a good idea of the various hotels, and my favorite, the restaurant menus. They also have good references to seasonal activities including halloween (MNSSHP) and the Food and Wine festival at Epcot.

After you get a basic framework established, get back to us and we can help (or possibly confuse more) with the trip details.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Well what type of "Disney Theme Resort" are you looking for? If you want something that says "Disney" all over then I would say All Star Movies, but it is not a delux resort, so you might not be happy there if you are looking for loads of extras.

If you want something that says Disney w/o big giant characters all over the place then I would go for a monorail resort just for the sheer fun of being on the monorail line and feeling like you are really and truly at DISNEY!

Either way, enjoy your holiday!

Upvote 0

GaryNorris777

Original Poster
Thanks for all the Info.......I have found a rate of $139 per night for Animal Kingdom just a standard room......but i can't see that we'll spend much time in the Hotel and that rate does seem pretty good? A little too good to be true? It's only for the first 4 days before we go to our friends villa in kissimmee so i think i'll go for that!!!!

Thanks for everyone's help......I'm sure i will have more questions sooner or later............

Gary
48 Days to go!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

v&adad

You can't beat AKL, IMO! We have a 1 year old and a 3 1/2 year old and they both love it. We also did not think that we would spend a lot of time in the hotel but the great thing about AKL is- you can go back to the room for the kids naps and (if you have a savannah view) the adults can sit on their private balcony and watch the animals. There is also a kids club, storytelling (at night) and an unbelievable lobby! We have stayed in almost ever resort and this place is a park on to itself. If it is too much for you the all-stars are my next pick for kids. Cool, bigger then life themes but small rooms.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
GaryNorris777

.......I have found a rate of $139 per night for Animal Kingdom just a standard room......

I think thats a great start. I suggest you innocently ask during checkin if you can see the animals from that room (actually a savannah room), and when the CM says no...check if any are available (in other words, look for an upgrade...if not fully booked, they are very good about doing this)

AKL has two superior restaurants, I would suggest you have your travel party check them out. Following are links to the menu's and a general list of activities while you are there:

http://allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm#res AKL restaurants
http://allearsnet.com/tp/ep/foodwine.htm Epcot Food and Wine Festival
http://allearsnet.com/tp/mk/mnssh.htm MNNSHP

Of course, back up to the general allearsnet.com site for great information for all aspects of the park. Check out the pictures of your hotel as well as details of all the parks.

Enjoy! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

ClemsonTigger said:
I think thats a great start. I suggest you innocently ask during checkin if you can see the animals from that room (actually a savannah room), and when the CM says no...check if any are available (in other words, look for an upgrade...if not fully booked, they are very good about doing this)

:

So, if I have a standard Savannah room, can I upgrade to a deluxe savannah, if there is availability? I assume that means that I will not have the same rate, correct? Have you ever made this request?

I am just excited to be staying at the AKL. It looks like there is just so much to do there, especially the pool area. :sohappy: :sohappy:

44 days to go!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom