First time doing a split stay. Question about moving day.

Plowboy

Soooo, after going to WDW for over 30 years we are doing our first split stay. Our first three nights will be at OKW, the second three nights will be at AKL. My question is "What is the most efficient way others have done moving day?" (I suppose you could use the bus, but I would think that a lyft or uber would be way more time efficient.) Your thoughts? Please and Thank You!

We usually just get ready for the day, then drop our bags at bell services to have them transfer them to our next resort.

Then we can just head to the parks for the day and take a bus to our new resort that night.

Works great since the rooms are never ready till after 3 anyway!

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Unless you have perishable groceries that you need to transport (because Disney Bell Services won't refrigerate them for you anymore),* the best way is what @WaitingforDisney described. Drop your bags with Bell Services at OKW before you head out for the day, and let them know you need them taken to AKL. Note that the transfer can take several hours, so the earlier you drop your bags off, the better the chances that they'll be at your next resort by afternoon.

After you're done in the parks -- ideally, well after the 3pm (for regular rooms) or 4pm (for DVC) check-in time, and/or after you've received your "room ready" text -- head to AKL. The Bell Services desk will be directly to your left when you step inside the main entrance at Jambo House. (I'm not sure where it is at Kidani Village if you are staying there, but it should be conspicuous and easy to spot.) Some resorts will let you pick up your bags from Bell Services yourself, and some (I'm looking at you, Poly) will tell you to go to your room and they'll bring them to you. Either way, a $1-$2 tip per bag is appreciated at the time you collect your bags or get them delivered.

*If you _do_ have perishables or otherwise feel the need to transport the luggage yourself, the best way to do that would be a rideshare. Last I knew, Disney does not allow guests to bring luggage (by which I mean suitcases - backpacks are always fine) on the park buses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WorldExplorer

Wish I'd read this thread before I manually moved my stuff to a different resort.
Unless you have perishable groceries that you need to transport (because Disney Bell Services won't refrigerate them for you anymore),* the best way is what @WaitingforDisney described. Drop your bags with Bell Services at OKW before you head out for the day, and let them know you need them taken to AKL.

After you're done in the parks -- ideally, well after the 3pm (for regular rooms) or 4pm (for DVC) check-in time, and/or after you've received your "room ready" text -- head to AKL. The Bell Services desk will be directly to your left when you step inside the main entrance at Jambo House. (I'm not sure where it is at Kidani Village if you are staying there, but it should be conspicuous and easy to spot.) Some resorts will let you pick up your bags from Bell Services yourself, and some (I'm looking at you, Poly) will tell you to go to your room and they'll bring them to you. Either way, a $1-$2 tip per bag is appreciated at the time you collect your bags or get them delivered.

*If you _do_ have perishables or otherwise feel the need to transport the luggage yourself, the best way to do that would be a rideshare. Last I knew, Disney does not allow guests to bring luggage (by which I mean suitcases - backpacks are always fine) on the park buses.

Is there a special rule against groceries? They've refrigerated my stuff very recently.

Upvote 0

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
I recommend NOT relying on bell services (opposite everyone else's advice) because they can and will deliver your luggage any dang time they please. (Apparently there is some fine print somewhere, or so we were told). Anyhow, check in was at 4:00 and we waited and waited for our luggage so we could freshen up and change for our dinner ADR. Spoiler: we went to dinner wilted, dirty and smelly.
Uber if you can and bring your luggage with you to bell services. Then go enjoy your day. (Btw, one person can do this while the rest go live their best Disney life. “Taking one for the team”)

Upvote 0
Unless you have perishable groceries that you need to transport (because Disney Bell Services won't refrigerate them for you anymore),* the best way is what @WaitingforDisney described. Drop your bags with Bell Services at OKW before you head out for the day, and let them know you need them taken to AKL.

Same place at Kidani lol off to left as you enter lobby.

Upvote 0

crawale

Soooo, after going to WDW for over 30 years we are doing our first split stay. Our first three nights will be at OKW, the second three nights will be at AKL. My question is "What is the most efficient way others have done moving day?" (I suppose you could use the bus, but I would think that a lyft or uber would be way more time efficient.) Your thoughts? Please and Thank You!
Why not get Bell Services to move your bags? However it can be a while before they reach your second hotel - you can never be sure.

Upvote 0

The Colonel

I've done many split stays. Uber or lift to your new hotel with your bags. Check your bags at bell services and let the hotel know you are there. Then go about your day. You will avoid many potential pitfalls.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Note that the transfer can take several hours, so the earlier you drop your bags off, the better the chances that they'll be at your next resort by afternoon.
I don’t think it makes any difference. The bags etc are all moved together during the afternoon. All luggage gets moved between the resorts in one operational manoeuvre involving several trucks etc.

As long as you get your bags to Bell Services by noon you should be fine. That said we had one delay where our luggage got left in the corner of the store room at Kidani instead of being moved. By the time we got to our new room and phoned it was after 10pm and they had to track it down. It took until midnight. So mistakes can happen. Have a day bag with you containing medications and anything else you might need that day.

If you need to move refrigerated items though you might just as well Uber over. It wouldn’t have to be first thing if you wanted to rope drop, you could do it during the day or in the evening. Just leave your luggage at Bell Services until you’re ready.

Upvote 0

Plowboy

Original Poster
Thank you to everyone for the input. I think Darstarr hit the nail on the head. For $20 (or whatever) it may be worth it for the peace of mind knowing that when we get back to the new hotel to freshen up we know our bags are there.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom