First Stay at Deluxe

DisneyPrincess5

Congrats on your first delux stay! It's a big choice, but a nice problem to have!

My best advice would be to research each resort you're considering thoroughly. Check out their amenities, food offerings, and most importantly you must consider the locations as this is helpful with young kids.

For your first deluxe stay, I would steer clear of AKL unless you're AK nuts because IMO it feels very separated. Your first delux stay should be fully emersive with special transportation. Out of your other options, well you couldn't go wrong!

Happy choosing!

Sudcaro- Sudcaro

If you have a car, then AKL would be a great choice. We stayed there with our (then) almost 4 year old and it was wonderful.
But if you rely on Disney transportation, then I would advise one of the monorail resorts as it will be easier and faster than buses.

Tinkerbell397

With 5 year old twins, I think that your best choice is The CR and if it is in your budget, choose a tower room with a MK view. The kids, and you, will love it. You will also be walking distance to the MK where you will probably spend most of your time. You also have the convenience of hopping on the monorail and accessing the Poly and the GF and the MK. There is nothing like getting off the monorail at the end of a long day at the MK and being inside and an elevator ride to your room. The WL is very nice and I believe that the pool was just refurbished and it is all fenced in...very safe. You can take a boat to the MK but it is a bus to the other parks. And when you get off the boat at the end of the day with 2 tired 5 year olds, the walk to your room can be a bit of a chore. The bus stop at the CR is very very convenient to the lobby and therefore to your room if you stay in the tower. We stayed there on our first trip when the kids were 3 and 5 and they loved watching the monorail "wiz" through the main concourse. Just my thoughts on a big decision. I am sure that you will be happy with the choice you make for your family. Have a Magical Trip! :cat:

Dog Ate Mouse

When it comes to Deluxe resorts it's the WL. Why because they have so much to do and enjoy for you and the kids. You have the light pageant at night if they can stay awake that long, great, pool, beach area, boats, bikes and so on. Great and easy to get to gift shop with drinks and snacks and a really nice late night service area for PB&J, milk and so on. Also a good restaurant that will amuse the kids as well as the adults. The next Deluxe for us is the AKL, Just an all around great experience and if you can pay a little more can get a view of the animals for the kids. What ever deluxe you choose, have a great time and don't forget yourself to be a kid while performing the duties of Mom.

MaryJaneP

Beach and swimming to us says only Beach Club. Not real beach, but sand and swimming cannot be beat (Storm Along Bay). With kids that age, though, Magic Kingdom access says CR or BLT (walking distance) win. Which do you want to compromise, access or swimming? Young kids in general prefer MK over Epcot or DHS, so Beach Club proximity to Epcot and DHS not as influential.

HouCuseChickie

This is tough because everyone's preferences are different. We have stayed at all 4 resorts that you're considering. I can give you my thoughts on each, but in the end...what's right for us may not be right for you.

Contemporary - This is my favorite. I think it is the most convenient of all of the WDW resorts. You can walk to and from MK, you are 1 stop on the monorail from the TTC - so it's super quick/easy to transfer to the Epcot line, you're on the resort loop- so any dining at the Poly or GF is super easy, and you have boat access to WL and Ft Wilderness. The rooms are also very spacious. While staying in the towers is a bit more convenient and a theme park view gives you that amazing perk of watching Wishes from your balcony, you also have the Garden Wing which is arguably one of the best values (from a deluxe mindset) on property. The rooms in the GW are the same size as the tower rooms, decorated the same too, and IMO a VERY EASY walk to the tower. Contemporary is also the best place to be if you want a 7am ADR at Chef Mickey's since you don't have to worry about cabs or grabbing the earliest bus.

Poly - I know many people on here LOVE the Poly, so let me state for the record that I'm just not a Poly person. The theme does nothing for me. It's a pretty resort, but I don't like the longhouses being separate from GCH. You can walk to the TTC from the Poly, but I still think the monorail from the Contemporary to the TTC is easier. The boat access to MK is great, the beach (at least pre-construction) was my fave, and of course- you're on the monorail line- so that's awesome convenience. The room decor is not my thing, but they are very spacious well appointed rooms. Once construction is done, assuming they don't mess with things too much, I'd say this is the best pool of the 4.

Wilderness Lodge - Another one that I know many LOVE, but I really did not like staying at WL. The common areas are neat, but I hated the room. The room felt dark and cramped. I also felt a woods view was a joke. I know you're supposed to feel like you're out in the wild and transported to a place other than WDW, but it never felt that way to me. Maybe it's that I could make out the castle and the Contemporary through the trees, but I was disappointed. We even stayed during the holidays and the big tree in the lobby wasn't enough to sway me. It also didn't help that the bus service at WL was downright disgraceful during our stay. The boat service was good, but we've had issues on multiple trips with it not always running. When we stayed there, they suspended some of the early boats due to cold weather. During a summer trip, we couldn't make it over there because the boats couldn't operate with lightning. Understandable, but frustrating since it felt like bus service to MK was really spotty due to the boat service.

Animal Kingdom Lodge - I was nervous staying here because of how I felt about WL. I mean, they are similar in design and the rooms are the same size. I was shocked at how much I loved AKL. I liked the common areas even better than WL and the rooms felt so much brighter. Obviously, having animals off of the balcony is a big help and it really did make you feel like you were someplace other than WDW. The CMs at AKL were wonderful, I loved being able to walk to Sanaa over at Kidani, the kids really enjoyed the zero entry pool, and while it's a longer bus drive...it's some of the best bus service we've had at WDW. We also were given savanna options at 60-day check in for room preferences, yet we were not booked in a savanna view room. So, that was very awesome. The only real issue...and it's an issue we had at WL as well...was the beds. I know they are all queens, but I swear...the ones at the Contemporary and the Poly were so much more comfortable.

So, now that I'm done with my mini novel :D LOL - I rank Contemporary first and AKL second.

Fizban

Another vote for WL here. They have a really fun pool area and its a treat to either take busses or a boat depending on where your destination is.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
With kids your children's age: You're going to spend most of your time at the MK, you're going to want to get back and forth to the room easily. All the monorail resorts offer the best and easiest options.

You like swimming and the beach: Go with the Poly or any of the Monorail resorts.

Gaston's gal

It really does depend on what is your top reasons for staying at the resort. AKL is so much fun for kids with all of the animals, activities galore and the pool area is fun too, but it's far from the parks. The CR is right on the monorail for ease to Epcot & HS, walking distance to MK and if you get into BLT, a fabulous pool area. You can't go wrong with the Poly with their food and upcoming refurbished pool area, plus on the monorail. WL is a relaxing boat ride away from MK and the monorail, plus I love the fun atmosphere & yummy food in Whispering Canyon Cafe. You will have a magical time wherever you stay. Enjoy!

Pghdrumr

when my kids were 3 + 5, we chose the C R. The convenience to MK is essential with little ones. We love the quick monorail ride back to take a nap, or at the end of the night. The fireworks from your room, with the soundtrack on the TV is a great way to end the day. The kids love the pool and play areas also. They still say that it is "their" pool.

BigRedDad

We are a little different. We do not "need" deluxe accommodations. If we get a great rate through DVC renters, then we go for it. Our daughter was happy just to be at WDW. We could have been in a refrigerator box and she would have enjoyed it. Accommodations come down to the parents. At 5, they want the parks and pools.

I have not stayed at many deluxe resorts, but I have been to BW, AKL, and WL. BW and AKL have great activities for kids to enjoy. AKL obviously has the animals. They also have kids activities where they can earn beads. It is fun interaction for kids. BW has the street performers which is a blast to see as well. WL is very nice, but I thought less to do for the kids. You can walk to FW for the campfire sing-a-long and movies.

aw14

My first deluxe stay was the poly last March. Had a great time and really enjoyed it. With kids though, maybe a tower room at CR would be better, they can watch fireworks (if your on that side of the tower) from MK and plus their beach/pool is pretty cool too.
This was exactly what we did last summer. My DD absolutely loved watching fireworks from her bed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom