Pre-Trip First Stay at AKL 12/6-12/12/14 and back at BLT 8/16! It's a twofer!!

We will be going back to the world 12/6 – 12/12 (YAY!), and this will be our first time staying at AKL. We live in PA and will visit family in FL 12/12 – 12/14.

The cast: Me, my son, husband, FIL and MIL. FIL and MIL have not been to WDW since the 70s! They think they were there the first year WDW opened, but they’re not sure. NOT SURE?!?! Good lord.

So, here’s what I have planned so far:

Sat 12/6: Arrive and go to AK because we’re staying at AKL and that seems like the right thing to do! Also, they’re taping the holiday parade at MK and I don’t want to go near that with my FIL. Oh, did I mention that he doesn’t like crowds? No? hmm… should be an easy fix at WDW.
DSC01083_zps8a8b96de.jpg

The hubby Facetiming with his mom (my MIL - obviously) at AKL when we ate at Sanaa. She loved it so much over the phone that now we are taking them for a trip!

Tentative ADR at Boma that I just made last night. However, I don’t really want an ADR in case we want to hop to EP at night.

Sun 12/7: MK, 1:00 ADR at CP. I know, it’s risky bc it’s the rain date for the parade taping. But I NEED to get to MK!
DSC01310_zpsb85d0d90.jpg

LOVE CP, but Tigger tackled my kid! Bad Tigger!!

It’s also a MVMCP day, and we’ve decided not to spend the extra money bc we have PAPs. Boo. Think we may go to TOTWT for drinks and fireworks.

Anyone know what the atmosphere at TOTWT is like during the “parties?” Do they still pipe in the sound?
DSC04930_zps1ba97e90.jpg

Me and DS and some lab tech in the background at TOTWT.

Mon 12/8: HS. Here’s a day I keep flip-flopping about. Do we spend the whole day in HS and see the Osborne Lights? OR Do we have dinner in EP and walk around WS?

Plan A: HS all day; 1:20 ADR at 50’s Prime Time Café (a new ressie for us); No desire to see Fantasmic (don’t blast hate mail – my son isn’t a fireworks kid)
-or-
Plan B: HS most of the day; boat to EP to show off the boardwalk area to FIL and MIL; 6:00 ADR at Tutto Italia; walk around WS – no celeb for the Candlelight Proc yet. Does WS get nuts during the showings?

Tue 12/9: AK/Pool if weather cooperates. Ok, so my son will disown me if I don’t put in some scheduled pool time. We crammed in some pool time on our last night in Jan at BLT bc I never think to schedule resort time – what?? people want to rest on vacation?? Crazy talk.
DSC06399_zps4258c309.jpg

Who can say no to that face?

oh, and early 8:15 ADR at TH – thought it would be nice to be in the park pre-opening.

Wed 12/10: MK ALL DAY! YAY! Scored BOG for 7:10 and I’m a happy chickie.

Thur 12/11: EP ALL DAY! yay! (Doesn’t get the all caps “yay” since that’s reserved for MK); 6:10 ADR at Chefs de France.

Fri 12/12: 9:30 breakfast at CM. We originally thought we would need to rent a car, so I wanted to find something close to TTC. But, my inlaws are driving and now we don’t need to get a car. This might still be a nice way to end the trip and sneak into MK one last time.

We’re on the DDP, so one ADR has got to go… thoughts?

Next up: My thoughts on FP+

DVCPluto

Original Poster
Boma is off the ADR list - sticking with my original thought of not having an ADR on arrival day.

However, if we can get early flights that don't break the bank, I may switch our TH ADR to an arrival day lunch. That would leave Tue open for a Boma breakfast, which I've heard is amazing, and park hopping to where ever the wind takes us.

Next up, take 2: My thoughts on FP+

DVCPluto

Original Poster
Decided to add a trip for Aug 2015! Getting up early tomorrow to book - wish me luck!

If all goes well, they'll be a pre-trip report twofer!

CAPTAIN HOOK

That would leave Tue open for a Boma breakfast, which I've heard is amazing
It is. On our last trip (our first staying at AKL) we booked a Boma breakfast, for convenience really. We were so impressed we cancelled one of our other breakfast ADR's so we could eat at Boma again

DVCPluto

Original Poster
And now I can't keep all the times when things (ADRs, FP+s, room res, etc.) become available, straight in my head... I was up at 6 a.m. EST to make DVC ressies - but one cannot do that until 8 a.m.!! Which I stupidly remembered as the pop up screen yelled at me.

*sigh* more caffeine is very much needed

DVCPluto

Original Poster
It's official! BLT is booked for Aug 2015!! Just booked 7 nights with the plan to add on 2 or 3.

FIRST time we've ever had TWO trips booked at once! I may pass out from excitement! WOO HOO!!!!

DVCPluto

Original Poster
Since it's DS's 7th bday today, I thought I'd share his first trip to MK:
1stMKday_zps041bf986.png

And 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th trips - Green Army Man Style
GreenArmyMan4_zps744e3002.png

Some people have pics in front of the castle to document their trips - not how we roll.

Happy birthday to the BEST. KID. EVER.

DVCPluto

Original Poster
Just added our last night of our Aug trip! We will be there for 10 nights starting 8/16 - which also happens to be our anniversary!

The plan for Aug is to live. it. up. It's been a while since we've had a 2 digit night stay and I am super pumped. I'm hoping to surprise DS with a month early birthday celebration. However, he also enjoys planning our trips, so we'll see.

Back to our Dec trip:
I bought the in-laws their park tickets (I'm not paying for them - just ordered them - I wish I was that cool!) We have been getting the DVC PAP, so buying tickets and linking them to MBs was a new experience. AND I made it way more difficult than it had to be!

During the purchase, I had to have my hand held and used the chat option to "talk" with a CM. Very helpful, for us neurotic people. My concern was being able to make our FP+ selections at the 60 day mark. My inner thoughts: Would I have the tickets in time?? Should we pick them up at will call?? Should I have them delivered?? Is the US postal system reliable anymore?? When will they arrive?? Can we activate them at check-in?? Do we have to go to will call anyway?? The CM talked me down off the ledge and was wonderful!

It's beyond easy - just choose the tickets, buy them, link them to whom they will belong (during the purchase). And it all magically appeared on MDE. Who knew technology could work?!

Maybe the next post will be about FP+, maybe not. I'm obviously horrible about planning out my posts!

DVCPluto

Original Poster
Focussing on our Dec trip for now: Checked available ADRs at TH for our arrival day (12/6) and only 3:00 is available.

I'm going to stick with our original plan of eating an early breakfast at TH on Tue (12/9) because I don't want to give up character meals while DS is still young. Boma may have to wait until another trip. It just seems such a shame since we will be staying at AKL, but we'll just have to go again!

I've been reading/discussing ride closures, park changes, construction, etc. on other threads. I'm starting to be concerned about all the construction walls during our trip. Like I've mentioned, my in-laws haven't been to the parks in 30+ years. I want them to experience the magic that I do on every trip - but, I'm doubtful that their experience won't be impacted by all the current changes.

What are you thoughts on making the best of being at the parks during this crazy transition time?

DVCPluto

Original Poster
Our FP+ selections are just 12 days away!! Even though it sometimes feels that Disney is making us jump through hoops with all the different time windows (DVC, ADR, FP+, etc.) that open up, it does make it pretty exciting to reach each landmark event! In less than 2 weeks, I can choose which rides we want to prioritize! Yippie!!

Here's my plan:

Sat: AK/EP
1. SE
2. Soarin'
3. Character Spot

Sun: MK
1. BTMRR
2. PP
3. UTS

Mon: HS
1. TSM
2. ST
3. Indie

Tue: AK
1. KS
2. Lion King
3. Nemo

Wed: MK
1. 7DMT (fingers crossed)
2. Splash
3. Buzz

Thur: EP
1. Soarin
2. Nemo
3. MS

Fri: MK
1. 7DMT
2. PP
3. BTMRR or Splash
(Not sure we'll use any this day - it's travel day)

So - help me out. We have not been on property since legacy FP was completely gone. In January, we hardly needed any FP+s except for TSM, Soarin, and TT. We used FP+ on the go and changed it daily. Can you still do this and have good options?

The other piece is that my FIL has had 3 hip replacements - he is mobile, but he cannot ride anything where his knees would be above his hips when seated. Anyone else have to accommodate a loved one or themselves in this way? For example, IaSW is out because of this. I can't ride anything that is too jerky because I have back issues. DS doesn't like spooky scary things. MIL and DH just deal with us, but can do most rides if we let them. ;) We're a really fun group, I swear!! (Sidebar: Not being able to do some of the big headliners has made me see so much more of the park - for this I am super grateful!!)

I based the FPs on what I think DS will most likely want to do (I know, spoiled much?) Then I thought I could switch FIL and myself later. Thoughts on switching later/day of?

DVCPluto

Original Poster
I started playing around with an agenda for my in-laws. I thought it would be fun to hand them a fun print out - and I'm a crazy person. I never used to plan like this, but FP+ has made me "Disney Type A" (yes, those parks are color coded).

So, I'm torn about our first and third days (Sat and Mon).
Screenshot2014-09-29at65946PM_zps96e4faf1.png

Is Whoopie Goldberg a huge draw? Will crowds be bad? Our other option would be to go to DAK on Sat, and go to EPCOT the second half of Mon. I'm also struggling with what else we would do at DHS after the Great Movie Ride. We won't be doing Fantasmic because my son doesn't like fire or fireworks that much.

Screenshot2014-09-29at70353PM_zpsa26bfdc5.png

I also feel like I'm squishing everything DAK into Tue. But, with all the construction at DAK, do we want to be at the park the full day anyway?

Seriously, the only reason I'm giving each day this much thought is because of FP+. I used to plan meals and parks and we would just go with the flow. It may be nice when we get there to have a plan, but know we can be flexible.

Give me your thoughts!!

DVCPluto

Original Poster
Last night, I had my FP+ midnight party (by myself - DH and DS were not as hard core). I was on my computer, checking out the boards prior to the stroke of midnight. Have to say, I enjoyed getting my disney dork on!

I jumped on MDE right at 12. I didn't have to re-log in, my December calendar automatically became available at 12. The website compared to January, is AMAZING. Yup, I said it. I LOVE that you can see all three choices, change a time, update, and then change some more. (In January, it was such a pain with the old site set-up, and that damn Donald page came up about a billion times, but I'm sure this is old news for most.) So happy with the newer MDE - guess when the bar is low... ;)

So, here are the results of my late night:

Screenshot2014-10-07at90917AM_zps55ca6948.png

Screenshot2014-10-07at90951AM_zps39be54b4.png

Screenshot2014-10-07at91006AM_zps8d66f2bb.png

Sorry about the duplicate Wednesday, but HOLY COW it's worth posting twice! Very excited for every day - I was able to get most of our FP+ wish list within a few min of the times I wanted.

Now, I want to go RIGHT NOW!

Let me know what you think... :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom