Fire Mountain/Atlantis Mountain

Chad

Original Poster
Ok, finally saw atlantis, I was VERY impressed, the only thing that bugged me was the people had triangular fingernails..but thats another story. I said awhile ago that I wasn't going to do anything with the firemountain idea until I SAW the movie, and I did, and thoughts bubbled up like mad. And the idea was actually a roller coaster, and the last time I had an idea for a roller coaster was my 'minotaur' idea for beastly kingdom..

So, here goes. I want my villians land! SO I want this ride to either be in adventureland or in that 'proposed' jules verne type land. But I haven't really thought much about the place I want it to be.

I might as well warn you that some spoilers may be in here. You have been warned.

So, you enter the building, depending on where it is, you will either be entering into some ruins <adventureland> or into a mock submarine <jules verne land> either way, you'll weave through the line, and enter into some elevators, which serve two purposes, preshow, and gets them high up, so they bypass the lift. On the way up, the premise would be that you are ALREADY onboard the big submarine, there would be a screen, where milo, the commander guy, and the crew are there, and they welcome you'recruits' aboard, they thank you for joining the mission, and explain parts of it, the whole journey, etc...Milo tell how atlantis is situated, the whole 'grease trap' thing like in the movie...So they basically set things up. Suddenly, the lights flash, and the elevator drops slightly, rumbling and straining metal is heard, "Its a huge lobster!" the leviathan is attacking! " Quick! Everyone to the EVAC subs! then, you exit the elevators into another, short que area where you get into you cars, they wouold be four rows of four, and a single car, holding 6 people. It would be styled like the evacs, just without a top, very box-shaped. After you are loaded, your car swerves to the left, and dives through the hatch into a big room, heres where the first part of the coaster would start, very tame, just with some big drops and steep curves...Oh did I forget to mention the Leviathin animitronics that you are swerving around? Yes, the leviathan would be there, growling and snaping its claws, while shooting beams from its head. Lasers would be used to create an underwater look, like in the littlemermaid show at MGM, but the room would be very dark, no need for excessive decor. The end of this segments would be a steep drop with you heading into a rock crevice, then going up a hill and bsting through a fake retractable rock wall, and emerging on a bridge suspended over lava, where Atlantis would be, standing in its glory. It would be painted on the wall, and parts would be standing off the wall, it wouldn't be a full replica, as you near the city, an AA kida would say "Welcome to Atlantis!" And you would enter the city through a tunnel, with a water fall that would stop as you got under it. You would next move into the crystal chamber, the large, glistening,, crystal floating in the center, those heads floating around it. The room would be round, and your cars would move around the room, while heading up, the room would actually serve as a lift. as you head up, Milo explains what the crystal does, how it absorbs a person when it is threatened, etc..etc..and as you circle around it, it starts to turn red, and those red spotlights circle around the room. As soon as you reach the top, you see Kida standing therem and a bright blue light locks onto her, and she floats towards the crystal, over your car...
The next room resembles a tunnel, its dark, and the car stops, where an AA commander stands,"We Have to get that crystal, it's worth a fortune.." he says,"Crew! Go get it!" your car moves foward, and stops again, this time an AA of milo is there,"No! You'll kill an entire civilization! We must do whats right! Save the girl!" etc..etc.. suddenly, your car drops, down a steep drop, and enters a loop, the room is light, and decorated like the inside of a volcano, with that hot air ballon in the middle, lifting the crystal out, replicas of the atlanteen ship things are found flying aound the room, you zoom around, joining in the fight, dodging bullets and flying around the room, hitting helixs and loops, use whatever momentum the car has left to go up a reasonably big hill, where at the top a voice says,"The volcano is gonna blow!" suddenly, you drop down, and land in a big pool, water spraying everywhere, soaking the passengers...! the car moves back around, where you see all the atlanteens waving goodbye, kida in milo's arms..you get off the car and exit to the giftshop. The end! Tell me what you think?

WDW-Imagineer

Good Idea, but I'm wondering about the part from the elevator to the escape subs. If the ship is under attack, it would be unrealistic because it would take too long for people to jump into the cars, get strapped in, have CMs check them, and finally launch them. And if there is a handicap person, forget about it.

People would think "well, if this lobster is attacking us, why are we taking so long to board and how do we have time for the CMs to check our safety belts?"

I think you need to improve on this area - perhaps turn the elevators into the cars and have them strapped in at that point (like TOT were the elevators move forward, etc.)

Let me know what you think.

Chad

Original Poster
well, each car carries 16 people, if there are 32 people in each elevator, then it shouldn't take too long to load people into the cars, its only two of them, and they can be loaded at the same time, and the second one would just have to wait a moment or two until they could go, then the next elevator would bring in the new ones...I thought about that, And I don't think a 5 minute to be loaded and sent out would ruin the realism... Also, I would have sirens and read lights flashing, along with water pouring from certain parts of the walls, just to add to the realism. You have to remember, that noone is really gonna believe they are there,(except for little kids), you just try to make it as realistic as possible. PLus the story wouldn't work out as good if you got in your EVAC in the elevator..This way it plays along well with the story

Yeah, reading it would ruin the movie, and you probably would understand it better if you saw the movie :)

Chad

Original Poster
Yeah, the efects would be crutial for the realism, otherwise it would be ruined. I think haing that old woman <name escapes me> over the intercom, saying stuff would be funny, ecspecially with that melodramatic pesimistic out look on life..Sort of comedy relief for the scene.

scan_man

WDW-Imagineering.
The Idea is solid, but I don't know if they could have the Sirens blaring. I think it would be good idea, but I think Disney would have to turn them off just so some one doesn't get to excited or stressed out just incase they are proned to heart attacks.
Or if they could have them in the mini attach subs rather than the egres subs would be fun if you could try to attack the Leviathen as well?
Why not have a enclosed Sub, and have rolls in the track, make it feel like your the Leviathen's claws?

Chad

Original Poster
I did mean have the sirens BLARING, just sort of a background sound, nothing too loud...
I was thinking of the idea of an enclosed sub, but I didn't really go for it, It sort of defeats the purpose of a roller coaster, If I go on a coaster, I like to feel the wind in my hair, etc..etc..The actually two coaster parts are sketchy, as for barrell rolls and loops and stuff, basically you're just dodging the leviathan. In the movie, none of the ships that fought the leviathan survived anyways, it was only the Evacs

scan_man

They did have the Evac subs doging the Leviathen while they were fighting it. when they first came upon it, they had the mini subs out there to give the Leviathen more targets to track, and more guns on it so that they might be able to Distroy it if they could have.
True you might get the wind in your hair, but was also thinking that you could start the subs by dropping them into water, then the water changing into a roller coaster, simular to the Buzz Saw Falls there at Silver Dollar City. They have combinded a log flume, and a actual Roller Coaster and it sounded Pretty neat.
Have the Cars get dropped into water and submerge about 2-5 feet then be pushed out on to a roller coaster, and start the dog fight simulation?

Chad

Original Poster
I guess, but you have to remember, this isn't just a roller coaster,t here are other scenes, and I don't know how they will look with a plastic covering over it, think of all the smudgy hand prints...I still am gonna stick with my origiinal idea.

Goofster

:D
Wicked Idea!
I just got back from the movie now and didn't want to read your explanation until seeing the movie in case of spoilers, and im glad i didn't read it this morning. I had no idea about the Capt!

Anyway, awesome ride idea, I agree with you, don't change anything! The evacs are great, but you could probably fit 5 rows just to make it seem a little less boxy and a little more rectangular, like in the movie.

And it would be easy to load people in knowing there's an emergency, they do it in Rock N Roller Coaster, you know you're in a hurry and you gotta get to the concert, and a short line and loading doesn't take away from the excitement at all.

I do just have one thing to add, before you see the preshow, there should be someway that you get onto the ship, I'm thinking just make a room sort of larger than the queline walkway you were in, and make a bridge going across some water, and make the opposite wall that you are walking into look like the exterior of the Ulysses, so you feel like you are getting onto the ship, you're just in a sort of tunnel like thing, so you don't have to build the whole ship or anything. You understand, i hope that wasn't confusing?

Chad

Original Poster
Yeah, I was thinking just making the entire wall look like the sub, with the walkways going over water, like the hydrolaters, so it would look like you were boarding the submarine..Glad you liked it :)

Goofster

Chad, wow, i just, wow!
That sounds so incredibly awesome there isn't anyway to change it! This is definately the Atlantis ride they need to build, how soon will you be there?

Goofster

I just read it again and I've got one question, how do you think you're goin to pull off the effects, I mean, Do you think you'll use screens at someplaces or just have really complex animatronics, which I think would be cool, but it sure wouldn't be easy. Things could get a little confusing in the climax.:)

Chad

Original Poster
The effects? There really aren't many that I would consider complex..For the leviathan, there would be three or so of them, that would light up as the car went by them, and they wouldn't be full animitronics, they would be limited, their arms and head would move, but nothing else. The crystal room is the other one that I am having some trouble with. The kida that foats in I want to be lmade of glass. Anyone ever been to spencers? and seen those glass dolphin sculptures that have electricity flowing in them? Thats what I want the kida too be, and she would be on a ledge up to the left, and wires would suspend her up and towards the crystal. The crystal itself is causing som trouble. It has to be suspended in mid-air, light up, change colors at different time for different cars, and have those stone heads floating around it.

The only solution I have is that the room would be VERY dark. and there would be a pole in the room, that the crystal would sit on. The crystal would have Lots of fiber optics inbedded in it. Other poles would stick out from the crystal to support the heads that float around it, and as the cars travelled around the crystal, the fiberoptics would allow the side that the car is on to chane from red to blue, while the cars just entering the room would see a different color.

Chad

Original Poster
The effects? There really aren't many that I would consider complex..For the leviathan, there would be three or so of them, that would light up as the car went by them, and they wouldn't be full animitronics, they would be limited, their arms and head would move, but nothing else. The crystal room is the other one that I am having some trouble with. The kida that foats in I want to be lmade of glass. Anyone ever been to spencers? and seen those glass dolphin sculptures that have electricity flowing in them? Thats what I want the kida too be, and she would be on a ledge up to the left, and wires would suspend her up and towards the crystal. The crystal itself is causing som trouble. It has to be suspended in mid-air, light up, change colors at different time for different cars, and have those stone heads floating around it.

The only solution I have is that the room would be VERY dark. and there would be a pole in the room, that the crystal would sit on. The crystal would have Lots of fiber optics inbedded in it. Other poles would stick out from the crystal to support the heads that float around it, and as the cars travelled around the crystal, the fiberoptics would allow the side that the car is on to chane from red to blue, while the cars just entering the room would see a different color.

Glad you liked it, btw, How soon will I be in there? not for another 6 years.. :(

Goofster

Ohh ok, that makes sense, cool!
Why don't you just use strong cables and hide them somehow?
That would work wouldn't it?
Yeah, I just bought the Aqua Evac Building thing from target and I can just imagine it as a roller coaster, awesome idea!
You would have to make it short enough so it would be able to go through the loops, u know?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom