Fire at DTD?

jmvd20

No, I just assumed that anyone reading it would be able to understand that I meant 'on the surface of' not the actual top.

Of course I knew what you meant, just being smart about the actual way it was worded... I just couldn't resist the temptation on this one.

The brick smiley was meant to convey 'no need to nitpick'

Agreed, I will cease all hostilities immediately :D

nelsonj3

As I said in my previous post, my parents and my sister said they actually heard an "explosion" sound (or a loud "boom") while they were on the boat from OKW to DTD. After they heard the explosion sound, they saw the black smoke rising. My Mom snapped a couple pictures of the smoke, but it looks like several pictures have already been posted to other sites.

Anyway, this was definitely NOT routine, and was definitely an accident of some kind.

I wouldn't have posted anything if I hadn't heard it directly from my family, who saw it firsthand.

brkgnews

No, its spot news. Right time, right place.

Closer woulda been better IMO tho.
Spot News? Don't you mean "A NewsChannel 38 Breaking News Alert with Team Coverage and live video from SkyWitness Chopper 38 HD hovering over the scene"? :lookaroun

Oh... that's right... my AP award says Best Spot News, not all that other crap. ;)

Of course my text message alert tone on my cell phone still is the Fox News Alert sounder. :lookaroun

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled DTD thread, already in progress. :D

brkgnews

Of course. Silly me. I forgot to offer "proof of benefit." :)

NewsChannel 38 was there...
(SOT: Fire truck sirens wailing; mother screaming "My Baby... My Baby!")
Keeping your family safe...
(SOT: "If I hadna been watchin thuh Teeeee-Vee, I'da been burnt to a crisp! Y'all're lifesavers!")
NewsChannel 38's ProblemPreventer SuperSolver I-Team with pinpoint uber doppler 38 trillion. Working for the little guy.

Greg34

The machine that was on fire is a specialized piece of equipment. This is not a normal paving machine they use on most highways or roads. This particular machine reuses the current asphalt on the ground be heating it with fire to extreme temps then the back of the machine will smooth it out and you have a newly paved road. To create this much heat to melt the asphalt, requires a large amount of propane be kept on the machine.

This Machine is becoming much more popular throughout Florida and I have never heard of any problems of any fire on this type of machine.

bpiper

Disney used a similar process to resurface the parking lot at MK last year. When we drove by, they had several of these machines running and you could see flames coming out of the bottom of them.

The parking lot in that area was getting bad. We parked in that area in February to visit DQ and I noticed that the asphalt was all cracked and starting to buckle in places. Large areas looked like something was eating into the surface. It reminded me how road salt up north will eat into the surface of concrete exposing the small stones in it.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The parking lots there also have a big problem with flooding. They would frequently become swimming pools and down helpless parked cars. My car was a victim once. That in turn leads to worse deterioration of the surface.

Disney will block off the worst sections with cones when it starts to really rain hard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom