Finish the monorail system

Jekyll

Lee said:
While we are talking about monorails, here's two different perspectives...

2. Tokyo has the BEST monorails of all. Check out the photos on Robb Alvey's site, near the bottom of the page. Sweeeeeeeeet.

I agree I like the mickey mouse hand holders. But, I fee like looking at those I would feel as if I where on a NYC subway and not a monorail. But leave it to the Japanese to make even the monorail efficient. Hmmmm. Maybe WDW should take a cue.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Jekyll said:
I agree I like the mickey mouse hand holders. But, I fee like looking at those I would feel as if I where on a NYC subway and not a monorail. But leave it to the Japanese to make even the monorail efficient. Hmmmm. Maybe WDW should take a cue.

Man if they did that with the monorail, just think what they could due with the TTA or sea cabs at EPCOT!!!!!!!

Captain Hank

Just that-a toilet seat made out of gold. There was an analogy made that Erika would have liked to have a full monorail system, but she would also like to have a toilet made out of gold--and neither are going to happen. A few of us (myself included) ran with this and suggested that maybe the golden toilet play the "please remain seated" spiel when someone sits down, and a "Please stand clear of the toilet" spiel (complete with Spanish translation!) when the toilet was flushed. It was a fun drift.

Edit: It starts at the very bottom of page 4

trdisneyfan

Ok, business-wise, a monorail expansion doesn't make sense. Buuut, I don't think theming is an issue when tied to the other parks. After all, the monorail already passes through or near a turn of the-century American city (MK), the Polynesian resort, the Grand Floridian, and through the Golden Gate bridge in DCA. Disney's all about creative (and completely out of place if you really think about it) cross-theming. Putting the monorail in front of MGM or AK wouldn't be any more out-of-place than it would be anywhere else.

However. Busses are boring. We don't go to Disney to ride a bus. Monorails are an integral part of the experience, and I always feel somewhat cheeted when I have to take a bus instead of the monorail.

But, if they were to branch out the monorail from the TTC to each park, the cars themselves could be themed appropriately - art-deco for the MGM route, something beat up and safari-like for the AK route (see the Indy ride in DL for theming possibilities).

Maybe this park-specific theming is something they can do to spruce up the ol' bus experience. They're kinda vanilla as-is.

WDWScottieBoy

trdisneyfan said:
Maybe this park-specific theming is something they can do to spruce up the ol' bus experience. They're kinda vanilla as-is.

I actually love vanilla. With that said, I love the busses and don't see the need to expand the monorail. Leave it as is or we're just going to start complaining that WDI starts making really cheap attractions and then blame it on Eisner. If they expand it, they will use up A LOT of the budget they're given I'm sure. So, get an expansion and really cheap rides for years to come, or....leave the monorail alone and get rides/shows that we really want to see. You weigh the costs, I'm going to stick with how it is now and enjoy riding the bus because I love them! :wave:

Jekyll

Even the most efficient subway in the world only come once every 15 minutes or so. Just like the buses plus. Think about all the fun you've had over the years with different bus drivers.

jasonchas

FamilyMan said:
Come on! It's only about $70,000,000 a mile! :hammer:

Actually, they just built one in Los Vegas. It's four miles long, it's cost was over $650 Million. Per mile that is around $162.5 million per mile. WDW currently has 13.6 miles rail. I would imagine that they yould need about 25 more (AK is a long way from the other parks, plus remember that the system is double railed) to complete the loop.

So at 162.5 MM per mile total cost to complet the loop would be about $4.06 BILLION bucks.

Facts from: www.lvmonorail.com

Lynx04

jasonchas said:
So at 162.5 MM per mile total cost to complet the loop would be about $4.06 BILLION bucks.
You could create a whole new theme park with that money, which by the way would bring in money and guests, which a monorail expansion would not do.

imagineer99

trdisneyfan said:
However. Busses are boring. We don't go to Disney to ride a bus. Monorails are an integral part of the experience, and I always feel somewhat cheeted when I have to take a bus instead of the monorail.

But, if they were to branch out the monorail from the TTC to each park, the cars themselves could be themed appropriately - art-deco for the MGM route, something beat up and safari-like for the AK route (see the Indy ride in DL for theming possibilities).

logisitcally that sounds neat...

But logistically that is just not probable. Busses need to be able to switch routes constantly. By theming a bus to a specific destination, you are limiting where it can go.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I really had no opinion on the expansion of the monorail until the though crossed my head. If WDW would extend the monorail to my house in Houston Texas, I would probably go every weekend. Anyone think this is a possibility???? :hammer:

wannab@dis

Lynx04 said:
You could create a whole new theme park with that money, which by the way would bring in money and guests, which a monorail expansion would not do.

Yeah, but another park is not necessary, let's just add to the 4 already there.

Just think... $160M for a mile of Monorail... $100M for Expedition Everest...

hmmm... I'll take several more Everest projects any day!! :)

geez... felt like a mastercard commercial for a minute...

Jekyll

wannab@dis said:

Agreed...Those of us who enjoy a good monorail ride can take it To Magic Kingdom and Epcot but, all of us can enjoy new projects. I agree that the money should be spent else where. Remember they still have room for 2 more full size theme parks. And I know many of us have dreams of what the next park should be.

hakunamatata said:
I really had no opinion on the expansion of the monorail until the though crossed my head. If WDW would extend the monorail to my house in Houston Texas, I would probably go every weekend. Anyone think this is a possibility???? :hammer:

Wouldn't we all lover our own personal Monorail to Disney. I would even take a highspeed underground tube. Like Val Kilmer used in Batman Forever. Looks like this guys have the right idea.

http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/Niles.html

If there where more of us like him we could all have our own Monorail to disney world and from our hotels to the parks. Heck why stop there! TO EVERY RIDE OUR OWN PERSONAL MONORAIL!!!!!

MJL

Just one question please

There is one question to those people are singing the financial blues regarding monorail expansion. Granted it is a huge investment, but how did they justify the huge monorail expansion for Epcot? Did it make financial sense then?

Lynx04

wannab@dis said:

Yes, you are right, no park is needed. Like I said earlier, I think AK expansion is the should be the biggest priority when it comes to expansion. Also, upgrading EPCOT so that all of their pavilons in Future World are utilized to the point where you don't have 80 min lines on one attraction (TT), 30 to 45 on another (MS), and walk-ons on all the rest. Like I said in another thread, EPCOT has already walked down the street to more thrilling attraction, and there is no turning back. See my post on the bottom of this thread for an explaination (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=46135&page=2). Further, 20 TLUTS at MK can be used for expansion. I am sure there is something in the works for MGM, I have heard rumors of an Indy ride to replace the stunt show on this site. All of these things are a bigger priority then the monorail expansion. All of these have a much stronger chance of bringing in customers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom