Finish the monorail system

Albert

Original Poster
It's been talked about ever year since MGM has been built. It according to Disney Cast Members it is one of the most asked questions. It is also all over the internet. What is it?

It is the question why dosen't the monorail system go to MGM or The Animal Kindom? It to me makes Disney World look like it is and has been having money problems. The monorail like Mickey Mouse is a symbol of Disney World. Why would you build 2 other parks and not have the system hooked up to them? The monorail is just not a transpotation veichle but to many people a Disney ride. You can talk about adding new rides at the parks all you want. But the monorail should be expanded first.

josh_e_washie

Albert said:
It's been talked about ever year since MGM has been built. It according to Disney Cast Members it is one of the most asked questions. It is also all over the internet. What is it?

It is the question why dosen't the monorail system go to MGM or The Animal Kindom? It to me makes Disney World look like it is and has been having money problems. The monorail like Mickey Mouse is a symbol of Disney World. Why would you build 2 other parks and not have the system hooked up to them? The monorail is just not a transpotation veichle but to many people a Disney ride. You can talk about adding new rides at the parks all you want. But the monorail should be expanded first.

YES...this has been the subject of literally dozens of posts here. The truth is, Disney is not expanding the monorail due to money issues. It costs in the MILLIONS and MILLIONS per section of track, meaning that an expansion either from EPCOT or the TTC would be nearly half a BILLION dollars...currently, WDW is fixing other problems within the parks and resorts and putting this on a back burner. It is relying now on its vast network of buses and ferries, which are actually very cheap and quite efficient.
Because of such a dely (or cancellation entirely) of the monorail expansion project, many rumors have emerged. Some include where the monorail was to go (a particularly fun one was a photoshoped picture showing the monorail running through the Swan resort's 'black' section of windows, as if it were the Contemporary Resort), or even reports that foundation blocks have been poured but the project haulted. If you check the forums you will find a lot of great stuff.
But no....expansion will not happen...at least now. :) :wave:

Albert

Original Poster
I laugh when people say that expanding the monorail system is to expensive. Isn't Disney the same company that paid 4 billion dollars for a TV channel called the fox family channel? It makes Disney World look cheap with the monorail system unfinished.

Disney did a study years ago on expanding or finishing the monorail system. The study showed that expanding the monorail system would save Disney money in the long run. Why it wasn't done when MGM was built is a mystery. Also if I want to ride on a bus, I can go to New York City.

se8472

You have to remember disney does not have a unlimited supply of $$$$, I know it might seem like that but it doesn't.

crazydaveh

Albert said:
Disney did a study years ago on expanding or finishing the monorail system. The study showed that expanding the monorail system would save Disney money in the long run. Why it wasn't done when MGM was built is a mystery. Also if I want to ride on a bus, I can go to New York City.

The long run may mean in the VERY LONG run... In my opinion it may be at least 10-20 years before the savings kick in.

With the company in the state that it is, stock holders (like myself) are happy that we're seeing the price of the company increasing. It's held flat for a while, and while I would love to see the monorail expand, I want to see more of a return on my investment before an expansion.

Just my thoughts... you can start bashing them now.

celticdog

The monorail is a very expensive system to maintain. A lot of money goes into the exsting system. By doubling or even tripling the track and cars to cover AK and MGM would take money that would be better used elsewhere.

I'm not sure I'd really want to see elevated track criscrossing all over WDW. It would be obtrusive and spoil the splender and beauty of AK as well as many of the resorts.

Albert

Original Poster
What are you talking about.
Roy Disney has been saying that Eisner has been taking millions out of the parks to go to ABC and ESPN for years. Building a straight track to MGM and then the Animal Kindom would be like chump change for Disney. They have done it it Las Vegas without spending allot of money.

se8472

Yes but LV is not WDW here. LV had many companies pitch in for there project as well as local and federal funding I belive.

In terms of money going into ABC and ESPN, that is needed for both of those, TV channels can't just run themselves

Granted I would love to see this done as much as the next man but its just not logical.

Albert

Original Poster
What's not logical, is that you see a neat ride of transportation going to 2 parks and not the other one's. That is why it is according to Disney Cast members the most asked question these days. People who believe that Disney is not rolling in billions of dollars should be come a stock holder like me and learn what Eisner is doing with the money. It not going toward the parks. That is why he is under so much fire from us stock holders.

nicholas

Another VERY common question asked by guests is "What time is the 3 o'clock parade?" Just because it is often asked, doesn't mean it's logical.

se8472

Albert said:
What's not logical, is that you see a neat ride of transportation going to 2 parks and not the other one's. That is why it is according to Disney Cast members the most asked question these days. People who believe that Disney is not rolling in billions of dollars should be come a stock holder like me and learn what Eisner is doing with the money. It not going toward the parks. That is why he is under so much fire from us stock holders.

Not all of us stock holders are giving him fire, nor or us CMs.

crazygirley

LMAO, people get so worked up about things.

Buying a television station, Albert, is a very large investment... much more so than a small convienience in transportation. The bus system works just fine for transporting park patrons to the different parks, maybe even more convienient at certian times (I don't know how many times you have fought for a Monorail at the end of a long day at MK or Epcot, but I have - both for a bus and a seat on the Monorail. Guess which one was faster). Adding the Monorail to the other two parks would be a costly and time consuming thing to do, both in design and actual construction. In my opinion, I am sure that the folks at Disney have thought long and hard about it, and I am sure that someday when the need is extreme, they will finish with the construction and add the Monorail to the other parks. For now the bus service is working just fine!

Albert

Original Poster
Yeah that makes Disney really look like a different World.
Lets take a bus to MGM. I really enjoy those bus rides.

Lee

Adventurer
So a search of the forums and you will find literally dozens of pages of discussion about the monorails. Invero (Tyler) can give you a lot more detail, but here it is in a nutshell:

1. Money. Not cost-effective. Very little if any return on investment. Unlike a ride, no guests spend good money to go to WDW just because of monorails.

2. With the amount of people Disney has to move, and the distances involved, monorails are one of the least effective ways to get it done. The bus system moves more people, to more places, faster than the monorail ever could.

crazygirley

Albert said:
Yeah that makes Disney really look like a different World.
Lets take a bus to MGM. I really enjoy those bus rides.
Your first posts on a Disney site were to bash the way they do things. Hate the busses and the way things are run? Don't go. Why are you coming in here to complain?

Erika

Albert said:
What are you talking about.
Roy Disney has been saying that Eisner has been taking millions out of the parks to go to ABC and ESPN for years. Building a straight track to MGM and then the Animal Kindom would be like chump change for Disney. They have done it it Las Vegas without spending allot of money.

And how much ground do the monorails in Las Vegas cover, in comparison to the amount of land between all 4 Disney parks?

Albert

Original Poster
I am not bashing Disney anymore than Roy Disney has.He has brought up the same issue's. I don't think you ever heard of Savedisney.com. You should check it out. Crazygirley

nicholas

Albert said:
I am not bashing Disney anymore than Roy Disney has.He has brought up the same issue's. I don't think you ever heard of Savedisney.com. You should check it out.
Anyone who has been on this site for more than seven minutes knows what savedisney is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom