finger print scan for children?

matt9112

Original Poster
so we have been to disney with my son several vacations ago and most recently we have had APs for about 4 months and go regularly. he has never had to scan his finger (just mickey to mickey) but this morning at EPCOT he had to scan his finger like we do. is this new or? his age didn't change.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Nothings changed. It happens. Some CM's are more insistent that finger scans be done, just like some security bag checks lines are more thorough than others. You just hit on a person being more thorough.... or they want your child to feel more adult, doing the finger scan like his parent. ;);)

matt9112

Original Poster
Nothings changed. It happens. Some CM's are more insistent that finger scans be done, just like some security bag checks lines are more thorough than others. You just hit on a person being more thorough.... or they want your child to feel more adult, doing the finger scan like his parent. ;);)

except this morning his finger wouldn't work 4 times they had to take his photo and than attach to moms finger. seems a little silly....5 year old ticket fraud is probably rampant.

JIMINYCR

except this morning his finger wouldn't work 4 times they had to take his photo and than attach to moms finger. seems a little silly....5 year old ticket fraud is probably rampant.

Yeah... lots of silly stuff they go through at entrance... like your experience. Someone tells them that thats what they need to do... so they do it.

JIMINYCR

After joining Disney forums close to a year ago, and reading so many ridiculous schemes and questions- I wouldn't put anything past people.

With so many different CM's on duty, with so many different personalities...it happens. Put some people in an authority position and they go strictly by the book. Others let the power go to their heads. Others let things slide because its not looked at as a big deal. Others try impressing their supervisors so they go to extremes. You just have to grin and bear it... and once you get past the entrance you forget it, and have the most fun you can that day.

21stamps

With so many different CM's on duty, with so many different personalities...it happens. Put some people in an authority position and they go strictly by the book. Others let the power go to their heads. Others let things slide because its not looked at as a big deal. Others try impressing their supervisors so they go to extremes. You just have to grin and bear it... and once you get past the entrance you forget it, and have the most fun you can that day.
Oh I agree! I think my son's finger was scanned almost every time, and I don't have a problem with it.

My response was to the "5 year old ticket fraud". For some reason trips to WDW seem to bring out the 'cheat' in people. I've read so many threads asking how to take advantage of something that they shouldn't be doing. I don't know if these people are like that in all aspects of life, or just when going to WDW. Based on those posts I wouldn't put ticket fraud past some people.

JIMINYCR

Based on those posts I wouldn't put ticket fraud past some people.

Certainly...times have changed and peoples sense of right & wrong, morality has changed. I guess Im a dinosaur... I work for what I want. I follow the rules. I dont lie, cheat , steal...I dont look to get something I didnt earn. Some people see that if they can get away with it, whose it going to hurt, after all Disneys got lots of money.

21stamps

Certainly...times have changed and peoples sense of right & wrong, morality has changed. I guess Im a dinosaur... I work for what I want. I follow the rules. I dont lie, cheat , steal...I dont look to get something I didnt earn. Some people see that if they can get away with it, whose it going to hurt, after all Disneys got lots of money.
Well I hope that isn't a "dinosaur" characteristic. We need more of that, and even though times are changing we can still pass our old sense of right and wrong onto our children. :)

JIMINYCR

Well I hope that isn't a "dinosaur" characteristic. We need more of that, and even though times are changing we can still pass our old sense of right and wrong onto our children. :)

;););) My DS has grown up to be a fine young man...( Whew... glad he got through those teen :in pain:& early 20s years ) I've done my part. :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:

JLipnick

we were just at WDW for two weeks (annual passholders) and the very last day, my 8 year old son was asked to scan his finger. we asked why all of a sudden and they said they were starting to scan everyone, including children. not sure if that was just a test or if it is a new policy, but we were rather shocked.

MissMarmalade

I am a park arrival cast member at Disney and this is a new feature that was rolled out this month. Before, only adult tickets (10 and up) required a finger biometric scan. If your child had to use a bio scan before this new feature than that meant either the family had their tickets mixed up or they purchased all adult tickets. The reason why Disney is now bio scanning all tickets now is so Disney knows each person has their own ticket and not multiple people using a child's ticket so they would avoid a biometric scan. It is harder for the biometric scanner to measure child's fingers since they are so tiny so some CMs ask for a parents finger and that they can use to replace the child's.

Also a FAQ: it is NOT a finger print! It is a finger biometric. All it does is measure the outline of your finger. Once your vacation is over, it is deleted from the ticket. Why does Disney want a biometric? In case you ever lost your card or magic band no one can use it except you. Also for Disney's benefit so no one is sharing a ticket. Still want to opt out and think Disney is working for the government and we are all collecting fingerprints and sending them out to the FBI? No worries what we do is call a guest relation CM over and they attach your picture to your ticket.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
You's be surprised at the amount of people dressing up like five years olds just to scam the system at Walt Disney World.

matt9112

Original Poster
I am a park arrival cast member at Disney and this is a new feature that was rolled out this month. Before, only adult tickets (10 and up) required a finger biometric scan. If your child had to use a bio scan before this new feature than that meant either the family had their tickets mixed up or they purchased all adult tickets. The reason why Disney is now bio scanning all tickets now is so Disney knows each person has their own ticket and not multiple people using a child's ticket so they would avoid a biometric scan. It is harder for the biometric scanner to measure child's fingers since they are so tiny so some CMs ask for a parents finger and that they can use to replace the child's.

Also a FAQ: it is NOT a finger print! It is a finger biometric. All it does is measure the outline of your finger. Once your vacation is over, it is deleted from the ticket. Why does Disney want a biometric? In case you ever lost your card or magic band no one can use it except you. Also for Disney's benefit so no one is sharing a ticket. Still want to opt out and think Disney is working for the government and we are all collecting fingerprints and sending them out to the FBI? No worries what we do is call a guest relation CM over and they attach your picture to your ticket.

they did the picture after his finger failed a bunch of times. and the aforementioned adult finger attachment. side note they have no problem doing this but the far right side of the guitar base at RNRC cant get a good mopping? just sayin #prioritys as an AP holder its sad to see some things fall by the wayside but they countinue to improve and streamline money making. for the record i dont mind the child scan. just think they have 100 prioritys ahead of it is all.

Raineman

I agree with you, but I think sometimes, people can take the whole "right and wrong" thing to the extreme, especially when it comes to how much $ Disney is making off of their customers. For example, there is a thread on here about a couple, who both have APs, and if they are going to WDW with friends who are in another car, one person will go in their friends car so that they scan their magic band and their friends don't have to pay for parking. There were people commenting that they were cheating and scamming Disney, they should have their APs revoked, etc, and I don't see this as cheating. What if both cars belonged to the couple, and one of them brought friends with them? I just think that there are a few things that people see as cheating that may not be. Having more than one child use the same Magic Band? That is definitely cheating.

matt9112

Original Poster
I agree with you, but I think sometimes, people can take the whole "right and wrong" thing to the extreme, especially when it comes to how much $ Disney is making off of their customers. For example, there is a thread on here about a couple, who both have APs, and if they are going to WDW with friends who are in another car, one person will go in their friends car so that they scan their magic band and their friends don't have to pay for parking. There were people commenting that they were cheating and scamming Disney, they should have their APs revoked, etc, and I don't see this as cheating. What if both cars belonged to the couple, and one of them brought friends with them? I just think that there are a few things that people see as cheating that may not be. Having more than one child use the same Magic Band? That is definitely cheating.

yeah i agree with you if you owned two cars? most people often do. the point is the AP is going to the park in x car. i have noticed the scan our card alot more now its like ummm....why dont you fix your parks....than nitpick profits

21stamps

yeah i agree with you if you owned two cars? most people often do. the point is the AP is going to the park in x car. i have noticed the scan our card alot more now its like ummm....why dont you fix your parks....than nitpick profits

I know plenty of online disney peeps don't think this is true- but the 2 go hand in hand. Cheating/stealing takes away from profits. What seems minuscule to "you" (not you, just general) when "you" decide to cheat/steal, can add up to plenty of money lost. We have watched things change over the years to prevent that kind of fraud, not just at Disney. It may be something to stop stealing soda, or it may be to stop people from switching magic bands...the range can be broad. I'm not saying the parks should be in bad shape because some losers steal. I'm just saying that there is a big picture as to why a company will try to prevent that, and it benefits us when they can. On the same hand, it also hurts us, because we are paying for whatever new gadget or procedure that must be implement to prevent the stealing/cheating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom