Fifth gate

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I've been arguing about this with several people spread across several unrelated threads here. Instead of continuing the discussion disconbopulated on those threads, I want to continue it here on its own focused thread.

We can go back and forth forever and get nowhere with "it's coming" and "no it's not", so that's not where I want to go here. I won't be vindicated, any way, for many years to come, so arguing about it is pointless. You are welcome to keep your opinion that it will never happen until it happens.

Where I want to go from here (whether it happens or not) is discussion of something I heard Eisner say many years ago that has stuck out in my memory like a nagging headache.

When DAK opened, Eisner was interviewed. In that interview, he was asked if there would ever be a fifth gate. He said there are DETAILED plans for a fifth gate, and less detailed plans for a sixth gate. He said these are long term plans and he shouldn't be talking about it. The interviewer kept prying for information, asking what the themes are. Eisner's response was something I will never forget.

He said "I know what the theme for the fifth gate is. We have several concepts being tossed around for the sixth gate, but nothing has been decided yet."

The reporter pressed for information for the theme of the fifth gate, which Eisner claimed had already been decided on. Eisner said he already gave too much information and that both parks are long-term projects that would be announced long after he's retired from the company. He would not devulge the theme of the fifth park, regardless how much the reporter tried asking.

What stood out more than anything was that Eisner said that he knew the theme of the fifth gate. He devulged that it is a project that's been in the planning stages for some time, as well as a pathfinder exploratory project for a sixth gate. It stood out also in my mind because he said he wouldn't be working for the company in the future when either park is ready to be announced.

It's possible that Bob Iger cancelled these two projects, but it sounded like (from the way Eisner spoke about it) that the fifth gate was pretty solid and conceptually advanced in its planning by the time Iger took charge, so it makes no sense to me if Iger was to terminate work on it in its advanced stages. He could have finished planning for it and then shelved it (like WRE was) - that's possible.

Again, this isn't a "no, it will" / "yes, it won't" get built discussion. These plans are/were actual. Whether it will get built or not, my curiosity is what exactly are or were these plans. What was this theme that Eisner "knew" but couldn't share?!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Probably not cancelled at all...just shelved until the time is right.

Eisner did say "long after he gone." In the grand scheme of WDW it hasn't been that long.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Fix the other parks before building a 5th one...
I agree, but that is not focus of this thread. Eisner "knew" the theme for a supposed fifth gate at a time when DAK opened. This is fact. Whether it was canceled or not, I want to know what he supposedly "knew" back then! If it were canceled, it's good to know for "historical" reasons. If not, it makes it even more curious (like how Star Wars 7-9 were supposedly never planned and now we know that they always were planned).

lazyboy97o

I agree, but that is not focus of this thread. Eisner "knew" the theme for a supposed fifth gate at a time when DAK opened. This is fact. Whether it was canceled or not, I want to know what he supposed "knew" back then! If it were canceled, it's good to know for "historical" reasons. If not, it makes it even more curious (like how Star Wars 7-9 were supposedly never planned and now we know that they always were planned).
The difference here is that Lucas changing from twelve mostly unrelated films, to nine films of one story to six films of one story back to nine films is rather well documented.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
You know, I wish I could go into my memory and "look up" my memory's citation for it, but I've been banging my head and Googling all over trying to find it. So far, no success. I know what I read. My memory does not lie. It was the odd nature of it which is why I haven't forgotten that quote over the years.

Everyone is welcome to search the archives for Eisner interviews - given around the time DAK opened - for it. In fact, I beg everyone to search (and post a link, if it's found). I want to nail this and find it!

lunchbox1175

It would be great if they could turn HS into a Pixar Park or Animation only park and then build a new park that is movie themed with Lucas Films and Marvel, I know they have limitations on what they can do becasue of the whole no characters east of the mississippi thing, but i am hoping they can work that out eventually and think this would be awesome.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
The difference here is that Lucas changing from twelve mostly unrelated films, to nine films of one story to six films of one story back to nine films is rather well documented.
This too is documented. We just need to find it. I went through the same for Star Wars. I knew what I read when Lucas publicly discussed 9 movies before he changed his tune and said he never said such a thing. It took a while for me to actually find those interviews that stood out in my memory. No difference this time.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I've been arguing about this with several people spread across several unrelated threads here. Instead of continuing the discussion disconbopulated on those threads, I want to continue it here on its own focused thread.

We can go back and forth forever and get nowhere with "it's coming" and "no it's not", so that's not where I want to go here. I won't be vindicated, any way, for many years to come, so arguing about it is pointless. You are welcome to keep your opinion that it will never happen until it happens.

Where I want to go from here (whether it happens or not) is discussion of something I heard Eisner say many years ago that has stuck out in my memory like a nagging headache.

When DAK opened, Eisner was interviewed. In that interview, he was asked if there would ever be a fifth gate. He said there are DETAILED plans for a fifth gate, and less detailed plans for a sixth gate. He said these are long term plans and he shouldn't be talking about it. The interviewer kept prying for information, asking what the themes are. Eisner's response was something I will never forget.

He said "I know what the theme for the fifth gate is. We have several concepts being tossed around for the sixth gate, but nothing has been decided yet."

The reporter pressed for information for the theme of the fifth gate, which Eisner claimed had already been decided on. Eisner said he already gave too much information and that both parks are long-term projects that would be announced long after he's retired from the company. He would not devulge the theme of the fifth park, regardless how much the reporter tried asking.

What stood out more than anything was that Eisner said that he knew the theme of the fifth gate. He devulged that it is a project that's been in the planning stages for some time, as well as a pathfinder exploratory project for a sixth gate. It stood out also in my mind because he said he wouldn't be working for the company in the future when either park is ready to be announced.

It's possible that Bob Iger cancelled these two projects, but it sounded like (from the way Eisner spoke about it) that the fifth gate was pretty solid and conceptually advanced in its planning by the time Iger took charge, so it makes no sense to me if Iger was to terminate work on it in its advanced stages. He could have finished planning for it and then shelved it (like WRE was) - that's possible.

Again, this isn't a "no, it will" / "yes, it won't" get built discussion. These plans are/were actual. Whether it will get built or not, my curiosity is what exactly are or were these plans. What was this theme that Eisner "knew" but couldn't share?!

I found this from 1998:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...50707_1_walt-disney-animal-kingdom-theme-park

"Disney executives, including Walt Disney Co. Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Michael Eisner, said they have ideas for a fifth theme park but aren't ready to disclose them publicly."

``I don't know when it (Walt Disney World) will get its fifth theme park,'' Eisner said last week. ``I'm just barely getting over its fourth theme park. And it's too early for me to say what I think it will be. I have some ideas. I haven't told anybody in the company about them yet.''

So based on this article at the time of AK opening, Eisner only had an idea, doesn't sound like there were detailed plans.

lazyboy97o

My memory does not lie.
That is simply not true, for any of us.

This too is documented. We just need to find it. I went through the same for Star Wars. I knew what I read when Lucas publicly discussed 9 movies before he changed his tune and said he never said such a thing. It took a while for me to actually find those interviews that stood out in my memory. No difference this time.
You say that as though you're the only person who recalled the nine films, but that was widely know even amongst the barest of Star Wars fans.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I found this from 1998:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...50707_1_walt-disney-animal-kingdom-theme-park

"Disney executives, including Walt Disney Co. Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Michael Eisner, said they have ideas for a fifth theme park but aren't ready to disclose them publicly."

``I don't know when it (Walt Disney World) will get its fifth theme park,'' Eisner said last week. ``I'm just barely getting over its fourth theme park. And it's too early for me to say what I think it will be. I have some ideas. I haven't told anybody in the company about them yet.''

So based on this article at the time of AK opening, Eisner only had an idea, doesn't sound like there were detailed plans.
I wonder if this is what I read and my memory had embellished and evolved it into the above over the years, or if he said something more in line of what I said at a later date? In either case, the part where he said he has ideas that he hadn't, at the time, discussed with anyone else at the company is curious in and of itself. What were those ideas?

PeterAlt

Original Poster
That is simply not true, for any of us.

You say that as though you're the only person who recalled the nine films, but that was widely know even amongst the barest of Star Wars fans.
I wish you were around when I had those discussions. I could have used someone who could "back me up" on that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom