"Festival of the Lion King" shines brighter!!!

wbboy29

Original Poster
Hey y'all. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not. I did a search and didn't find anything so I just thought y'all might like to know.

On Sunday, September 19th, after nine months of planning and three days of the show being dark, Festival of the Lion King at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park re-opened with a new cutting-edge lighting design. Prompted by the recent theater enclosure, the new look enhances the Guest experience and overall quality of this crowd pleasing favorite. To minimize the number of days that the theater would be dark, there were crews working around the clock for 55 hours straight!
In addition to the new lighting design, the crew installed 9 new Mac 2K fixtures and 70 Source Four lekos. Forty percent of the lighting instruments were moved, all of the instruments were re-colored and all new gobos were added. The entire theater was re-cabled and a new audience lighting package was installed.

On top of all that they also added new fog machines to create a light haze around the theater so that the lights could be more visible, and make for a cool looking effect. The show really looks very different with the new lights. It feels light an entirely new show. Make sure you all go check it out on your next visit to the world.

LSUxStitch

Once again, this company seems to amaze me STILL..lol...gettin crews out there to get the job done..and cut down guests missing the show

CAPTAIN HOOK

Sounds great - The show is excellent and I didn't think that there was room to improve on it, except to make it a longer performance. Well worth checking out.

Joevn

Wow! That's good news! Thanks for posting that. Like some others, this is my favorite stage show at WDW. Can't wait to see it with the changes on my next visit!

Joe

speck76

I saw the show this last Sunday...the day it reopened. I had only seen the show once prior (about a year and a half ago), and I did not recognize a difference, but I did think the lighting and sound were fantastic!

TheDisneyGirl02

Thanks for the info! I loved seeing FOLK with the theater enclosed this past summer when I was there...I thought it looked wonderful! Can't wait to see it now!

TheDisneyGirl02

Gucci65

imo - FoTLK is the best show in all of WDW!! That said I'm glad to hear they have new lights, but I would be there even if it was done by candlelight.

AndyP

I saw the show when it had been enclosed, this made the colorus so much more enhanced and the special effects(you know what i mean), more noticeable, a great improvement, money well spent!

wbboy29

Original Poster
yeah the show does look great. Not that it didn't before. Its just has more of a broadway/concert feel to it now. The show was always my favorite and now it looks even better. The smoke machines they added also really add to the show too. The only problem I have with the new lights is the fact that it is now harder to see the faces of the performers that are not on the central platform, by that I mean the dancers and stilt walkers. But the show does look great none-the-less.

Grizz's post reminds me of how I light dance shows. Little kids = lots of front lights so the parents can see the little ones. More experience dancers=more dramatic lighting and less fronts. I want to see the changes they made. It was a huge difference between when it was more exposed to after it was enclosed. They had some hazers before so I imagine that they just added more. They were using Neutron hazers.

djmatthews

Why do I get the feeling that FOTLK Theatre & Camp Minnie Mickey was a temporary land/attraction? There really isn't anything substantial there in terms of buildings and attractions.

peter11435

dr_teeth90210 said:
I still doubt it's even half the show that Katonga is...

You waste your first post on something like that, why did you even register on a Disney forum. It sounds like you haven't even seen the FOTLK.

Why do I get the feeling that FOTLK Theatre & Camp Minnie Mickey was a temporary land/attraction? There really isn't anything substantial there in terms of buildings and attractions.

Because it was, Camp Minnie Mickey was built as a tempory thing in the place of Beastly Kingdom. However, it doesn't appear like it will be going anywhere soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom