Festival of the Lion King moving to Africa

elchippo

I wish they kept some form of Camp Mickey Minnie-I feel, as most of AK is so....whats the word....global (Asia/African inspired), that there is definitely a place for a smaller, American-woodsy section (not unlike Critter Country) that can continue to serve as home for properties like Brother Bear, Pocahantas, Song of the South, and even older stuff like Humphrey and the ranger, etc.

wdweric2.0

I wish they kept some form of Camp Mickey Minnie-I feel, as most of AK is so....whats the word....global (Asia/African inspired), that there is definitely a place for a smaller, American-woodsy section (not unlike Critter Country) that can continue to serve as home for properties like Brother Bear, Pocahantas, Song of the South, and even older stuff like Humphrey and the ranger, etc.
I agree. I wish there was a place in AK for North American Animals. Bears,Elk,Moose,etc. Think Wilderness Lodge Atmosphere except Animals. Would also see more in the way of Artic Animals. Penguins, Polar Bears, Walrus, Seals

Tip Top Club

Agreed, I would love to see The American Wilderness in DAK. Bison, Wolves, Bears. People love bears, plus it's home to Mickey and Friends and other Disney Characters as well. I don't understand this move at all.

mm52200

The thing I don't understand is why they plan on having one of the most popular shows at WDW/DAK closed for ten months...couldn't they of already been building the theatre and then close it for maybe a month, two months at the most for the switch over?

SirLink

The thing I don't understand is why they plan on having one of the most popular shows at WDW/DAK closed for ten months...couldn't they of already been building the theatre and then close it for maybe a month, two months at the most for the switch over?

Those Equity performers sure cost a lot.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Amazing planning?

Fox&Hound

So, maybe Avatar will happen? I can't say I'm thrilled about Avatar but Disney could pull off something great. I wonder if they will ever do a paradise falls area for "Up"? Could be great in Animal Kingdom with Kevin the colorful bird acting as a guide or something. I enjoy Animal Kingdom but I never feel like there is a lot to do. And somehow, I wish it had more of a Disney feel. I mean, when I'm in Magic Kingdom it feels like Disney to me. In Animal Kingdom....no so much. I'm not talking about a character explosion but a few more would be nice. Maybe a Jungle Book ride???? Either way, excited that they are making room for more expansion.

Ignohippo

Those Equity performers sure cost a lot.

I've heard this a lot, but certainly Disney will continue to pay them when they're off. Training and finding new actors, dancers, acrobats and singers would be more expensive than just paying them during the downtime. Training a new cast would probably take 3-6 months anyway.

SirLink

I've heard this a lot, but certainly Disney will continue to pay them when they're off. Training and finding new actors, dancers, acrobats and singers would be more expensive than just paying them during the downtime. Training a new cast would probably take 3-6 months anyway.

I would imagine they would let go of the current cast and ask the current cast to reapply for them.

elchippo

Agreed, I would love to see The American Wilderness in DAK. Bison, Wolves, Bears. People love bears, plus it's home to Mickey and Friends and other Disney Characters as well. I don't understand this move at all.
\

I like the American Wilderness idea a lot. Could also utilize Fox and Hound, Paul Bunyan/Babe in this concept as well.

I also really like the small presence of UP in AK....puts Pixar somewhere thats not Studios or MK, and it isn't an obvious choice for AK at first, but with its theme of exotic locales and exploration, it certainly fits.

GiveMeTheMusic

Equity performers are not super highly paid, at least on a real world scale. They're currently paid $15.55/hr (principal roles; chorus dancers like in BatB and DWAM get $13.83).

Most of the non-singing roles in FotLK are staffed by parades department dancers, which are paid even less than Equity performers. From a performer perspective, the shows at WDW are very inexpensive to run thanks to their special Equity contract. (In contrast, a Disney Broadway show is required to pay performers, also Equity, a minimum of $1,653 per week). For any contract nerds out there, you can read the WDW agreement online at Equity's site.

Auditions are now up for Belle/Gaston and Ariel at DHS as well - it all seems odd if these shows and FotLK are all going down in early 2013.

RSoxNo1

Since they're going to close down to Festival of the Lion King for 6 months, why not close down Dinosaur and Expedition Everest as well and fix them?

SirLink

Since they're going to close down to Festival of the Lion King for 6 months, why not close down Dinosaur and Expedition Everest as well and fix them?

What would people even do at that park though - apart from staring at animals - to justify a one day ticket?

RSoxNo1

What would people even do at that park though - apart from staring at animals - to justify a one day ticket?
They won't take Everest offline for 6 months, but they'll take Festival of the Lion King offline? The show doesn't have as high a capacity as Everest, but it's closer than you'd think. My post was sarcasm though, might as well take everything offline and fix it all at once.

Cosmic Commando

Well based on what movies and TV have told me about the 12 step program, step 1 is admitting you have a problem... good luck!

Skyway

Especially when the rumored reason behind Space Mountain's scaled back refurb, the Yeti's 5-year paralysis, and other delayed maintenance is Disney's reluctance to take an attraction out of commission for so long.

Why is this show OK to mothball, but others are not?

RunnerEd

In the military we say P6 (Prior Planning Prevents -Poor Performance). Question: Why couldn't they have built the new theater while the show continues in its current location? After the Christmas rush, close the show for a few days to move the equipment/do sound checks/etc. and keep rolling. Answer: TDO doesn't seem to be familiar with the concept of P6.

BTW: Lions are nocturnal hunters and in the wild, do pretty much what you see them do on the safari....very little during the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom