Fences going up at Poly

Missymoe4

The Gator incident is going to have deep ramifications for years. And I have felt for a long time that DISNEYS mind set is more on the dollars. I could mention a few thoughts from the past, but that ain't gonna happen as Disney does have a building with a few floors of lawyers...Nuff Said.
I do not believe the beaches will re-open, ever! The crazy thought to get rid of the alligators can't happen. First, they are protected, you can't kill them all off. Second, they are very portable, having legs, they can walk on land, around fences, etc.
Even with the barriers that are intended to restrain alligator movement from the streams to lakes, it does not have a 100 percent success rating.
... The water / lake use from the original design has greatly changed over the years. The lakes had water sking, wind surfing, small boating, beach access... Today, well, this IS Florida.
I see a sort of raised Board walk built around the lake beaches at the resorts. It would have a pleasant look about it, well lit, for the guests can get up and walk leisurely down the "boardwalk" to maybe little restaurants or party areas, show areas etc. But the actual intent of the board walk will be is to stop any alligator or WILDLIFE being able to get near any guest. ( AND to keep Guests on the Resort side). This is possible as the off-site non-Disney attractions that feature Gators have done this successfully.
... In Disneys case, it may be a complete boardwalk stretching from one end of the resort beach to the other side,at each resort or it may connect areas beyond to a next resort if possible. Obviously, the areas by the unimproved areas may just be some kind of fence. The boardwalk could also be just short versions with connecting areas that are themed in some way but do not have the board walk crossing them. Again, any exposed area to the lagoon side is made to keep the alligators out, and in a similar thought, keep the people in and safe.
.... In a similar thought, they could create a nature area on the lake-beach area. The resort beach side would be raised using a barrier. Raise the beach with a wall and a decorative fence allowing the beach to be used by Guests, keeping the less desirable WILDLIFE on the lake side, but the lake not accessible to Guests.
... With themeing, plants, sitting areas randomly placed for night time viewing of the boat traffic, water shows and fireworks, this could be attractive.
... This lake side nature area would run up to the barrior or boardwalk which separates the nature area from the guest area. Gators and other animals lay eggs and nest in these nature areas and may be visible from the board walk or raised beach area... No matter what they come up with it will still be a challange to keep the gators out further down the path where the land has been allowed to grow wild and where the tributaries pour in, or out. The gators are very mobile and have no problem moving about on land.
... It will be a long time if ever for this tragic time to be forgotten and it seems since guests tend to ignore or not see the signs, disney will need to take huge measures to KEEP the guests save, and to feel safe once again at the beach resorts. If Disney can put all those Headstones in front of Epcots Golfball, they can build a nice boardwalk, tastefully with the quiet purpose to keep the gators at bay...... Its gonna take a very long time for this sad event to become a thing of the past.

I'm confused...why would the GF, Poly or CR need a boardwalk in the first place?

They already have concrete walkways, correct? So why a boardwalk on top of that? To get closer to the water? The CR probably doesn't need it. That beach is fairly tiny in regard to width, and the 20 plus times I have stayed there, I have seen 1 little girl building a sand castle right next to the brick walkway (the beach is really long and runs up to the pool area).

So, why not just block off the beach near the water and be done with it? Why the boardwalk? The water is fairly disgusting anyway, who truly wants to be in it in the first place, let alone look at it up close?

Phantom Mickey

I'm confused...why would the GF, Poly or CR need a boardwalk in the first place?

They already have concrete walkways, correct? So why a boardwalk on top of that? To get closer to the water? The CR probably doesn't need it. That beach is fairly tiny in regard to width, and the 20 plus times I have stayed there, I have seen 1 little girl building a sand castle right next to the brick walkway (the beach is really long and runs up to the pool area).

So, why not just block off the beach near the water and be done with it? Why the boardwalk? The water is fairly disgusting anyway, who truly wants to be in it in the first place, let alone look at it up close?

The Disney Company is going through big changes from when the Magic kingdom and participating resorts first were built. We saw a much different Resort park back in the early 70's. The guest relations were much more comfortable, the lake was a part of the guest entertainment. At that point the lake had been created and I have seen heavy duty blockades for wildlife retainment. I don't think there were any Gators to be concerned with in the man made lake at first. The lake featured boating, wind surfing, swimming, beaches, even a water park across from the old Discovery Island.
... As for creating a boardwalk, I hardly think Disney will put up a ratty old fence along the lake shore with a huge Resort complex as valuable as the FLORIDIAN or even the CONTEMPORARY and POLYNESIAN. When Walt was in charge you know he would theme the life out of whatever he has to do to separate any wildlife from the guests. WIth his imaginative mind you can believe he would do it in a big way. It would be hopeful that the DISNEY company would react the same but it depends on what they feel like spending, doesn't it?.
... Perhaps you would not want to go to a boardwalk, but I can assure you there will not be some ratty looking fence keeping the wildlife away. Whether you consider the Gators or the Guests as wildlife, is your decision but the purpose will be to find a tasteful way to keep the Guest and Gators SEPARATE. Because of what had happened makes it sorrily obvious that there ARE GUESTS that will go to the water irregardless of any signage. There are comments that out number "you, being one that wont leave the Resort area", that have admitted to playing in the lake, even the day before this tragedy happened.
... I believe the days of the guest getting intimate with the lake water is done, and there will be some kind of themed facade to keep the wildlife at bay. The View of the lake, water traffic, lake parade at night with all those lights, the reflection of the fireworks off the water is all a big entertainment plus and Guest draw. As you say the lake is not that appealing, it is a waterway with wildlife and plants in it with the natural life cycles. It isn't a swimming pool with filters and chemicals to keep it clear and clean.
... To keep the appeal and confidence of the Guests and to recover from this horrible event, Disney will have to make some kind of SHOWING that they did a response to what had happened and it has to be a pretty big one. All the PRESS are watching and reporting on this and the GUESTS are watching the PRESS. What would you do?

Phantom Mickey

Before people knew about the brain-eating amoeba swimming was freely permitted, back in the 1970s and early 80s.
But combinations of the amoeba, gators and the fact there are no lifeguards and people are more likely to sue now stopped swimming being allowed.

I have read a few articles that suggest that what you say may be true. As for why they have beaches? When florida Disney World first opened, the lake had all kinds of activities. Remember too, Walt had passed so the park was designed by the WED imagineers. They were used to following Walts wonderful suggestions and with Walt gone, they made a Disneyland in Florida, only much bigger. Walts Brother, ROY had been in the controls of building and running DISNEYLAND with Walt so I imagine Roy had the mindset of building and running the Florida Park very similarly... The Lake was man made by the DISNEY crews and attempts were made to keep the lake free of wildlife. WIth the large resorts built off of the lake, it was only natural to have beaches. At the time I am sure that they saw this as a huge plus for the Resort.
By day you would see wind surfing, water skiiing, swimming, you could rent small water craft and of course the Monorail MKIV running the rail on its way to the Ticket and Transportaton Station.
By night you could see the fireworks off the beaches of the resorts plus the lights of the Magic Kingdom as well as the passing Disney boats made for a very nice back ground.
A water park had been built and operated for some years but as the lake began to change to a more natural habitat for wild life and plants, they needed to rethink the lake as a guest entertainment source.
... Perhaps they should secure the access to the lake, or rather the wildlife from the beach then use the space in a more positive manner.
... What can you do with a beach area? Water slides? surf board areas, (much like on cruise ships now), show areas for nightly entertainment as well as movies areas??? The beaches have become less attractive for entertainment over the years and pretty much can only claim the white sand beaches. I'd say they have been needing something for a while....Perhaps it is time to get some of that entertainment venue back and protect the guest in the same swoop.

Last edited:

Missymoe4

The Disney Company is going through big changes from when the Magic kingdom and participating resorts first were built. We saw a much different Resort park back in the early 70's. The guest relations were much more comfortable, the lake was a part of the guest entertainment. At that point the lake had been created and I have seen heavy duty blockades for wildlife retainment. I don't think there were any Gators to be concerned with in the man made lake at first. The lake featured boating, wind surfing, swimming, beaches, even a water park across from the old Discovery Island.
... As for creating a boardwalk, I hardly think Disney will put up a ratty old fence along the lake shore with a huge Resort complex as valuable as the FLORIDIAN or even the CONTEMPORARY and POLYNESIAN. When Walt was in charge you know he would theme the life out of whatever he has to do to separate any wildlife from the guests. WIth his imaginative mind you can believe he would do it in a big way. It would be hopeful that the DISNEY company would react the same but it depends on what they feel like spending, doesn't it?.
... Perhaps you would not want to go to a boardwalk, but I can assure you there will not be some ratty looking fence keeping the wildlife away. Whether you consider the Gators or the Guests as wildlife, is your decision but the purpose will be to find a tasteful way to keep the Guest and Gators SEPARATE. Because of what had happened makes it sorrily obvious that there ARE GUESTS that will go to the water irregardless of any signage. There are comments that out number "you, being one that wont leave the Resort area", that have admitted to playing in the lake, even the day before this tragedy happened.
... I believe the days of the guest getting intimate with the lake water is done, and there will be some kind of themed facade to keep the wildlife at bay. The View of the lake, water traffic, lake parade at night with all those lights, the reflection of the fireworks off the water is all a big entertainment plus and Guest draw. As you say the lake is not that appealing, it is a waterway with wildlife and plants in it with the natural life cycles. It isn't a swimming pool with filters and chemicals to keep it clear and clean.
... To keep the appeal and confidence of the Guests and to recover from this horrible event, Disney will have to make some kind of SHOWING that they did a response to what had happened and it has to be a pretty big one. All the PRESS are watching and reporting on this and the GUESTS are watching the PRESS. What would you do?

In all due respect, this is presumptuous of what I stated. In fact, you added a lot of content that I did not write.

All I wanted to know is why you're designing a boardwalk for people to walk on when there is already a walkway? For example, the Contemporary already has a cement walkway people use to get around on and view the electrical water pageant. Now, if you're confusing a boardwalk with some sort of safe "fence," then I understand. I was confused with the need to have a walkway overlooking the water when there are already cement walkways a littler further up toward the hotel (of which many people stand on to view the activity on the water, just like they stand at the end of the piers and take in the views).

I never stated I will not leave the resort area. I never said the lake is not appealing. The WATER in the lake is dirty and disgusting, I did say that. How do I know this? Because I stay in the MK resorts. I know how many people come for the entertainment, believe me....I have stood at the end of the Poly pier watching the fireworks and watching the watercraft.

On the other hand, I do agree with your last bullet point.

rob0519

" At that point the lake had been created and I have seen heavy duty blockades for wildlife retainment. I don't think there were any Gators to be concerned with in the man made lake at first. The lake featured boating, wind surfing, swimming, beaches, even a water park across from the old Discovery Island."

Bay Lake is a natural lake. It was not created by Disney. The Seven Seas Lagoon is a man made body of water.

" When Walt was in charge you know he would theme the life out of whatever he has to do to separate any wildlife from the guests. WIth his imaginative mind you can believe he would do it in a big way. It would be hopeful that the DISNEY company would react the same but it depends on what they feel like spending, doesn't it?."

Walt is dead and no longer in charge. That is painfully obvious. There is no hope that the current Disney corporate structure would theme the life out of anything.

Phantom Mickey

In all due respect, this is presumptuous of what I stated. In fact, you added a lot of content that I did not write.

All I wanted to know is why you're designing a boardwalk for people to walk on when there is already a walkway? For example, the Contemporary already has a cement walkway people use to get around on and view the electrical water pageant. Now, if you're confusing a boardwalk with some sort of safe "fence," then I understand. I was confused with the need to have a walkway overlooking the water when there are already cement walkways a littler further up toward the hotel (of which many people stand on to view the activity on the water, just like they stand at the end of the piers and take in the views).

I never stated I will not leave the resort area. I never said the lake is not appealing. The WATER in the lake is dirty and disgusting, I did say that. How do I know this? Because I stay in the MK resorts. I know how many people come for the entertainment, believe me....I have stood at the end of the Poly pier watching the fireworks and watching the watercraft.

On the other hand, I do agree with your last bullet point.

My comments are just presuming that D will attempt to keep the looks of the resort in the standard that they want them to be. I did see a picture where the water line didn't look so great to me, maybe something hiding isn't such a bad idea. Looking from the resort toward the lake you see a blah beach area. Maybe dressing it up a bit, perhaps with a board walk, or whatever, with places to sit by a table maybe, would enhance the look... it was only a thought.....

If I commented incorrectly, then my mistake..

I have not seen this cement walkway you have mentioned. The pic at Grand Floridian does not show one and I don't recall seeing one the last time I was at the Contemporary. That does not mean a sidewalk cannot exist.

The water is not disgusting, I would call it natural as it has created its own environment since the lake had been created. I wouldn't expect it to get any better. At the beginning of the 70s when the park opened and when EPCOT Center opened, Disney was talking about how environmental they were. they talked about almost every manner of reclaiming and reusing including the waterway. You don't hear much about that these days.

I recall at one of the resorts there used to be a fish food feeder on the pier. You had to give them a quarter or two and get a hand full of fish food. When you tossed some in the water, there was an immediate flurry of fish going after the food. Unfortunately, that has been removed now, such is the case with many things at the resort as time goes by. Seems like all the little things that the guests enjoyed have gone away.

Missymoe4

My comments are just presuming that D will attempt to keep the looks of the resort in the standard that they want them to be. I did see a picture where the water line didn't look so great to me, maybe something hiding isn't such a bad idea. Looking from the resort toward the lake you see a blah beach area. Maybe dressing it up a bit, perhaps with a board walk, or whatever, with places to sit by a table maybe, would enhance the look... it was only a thought.....

If I commented incorrectly, then my mistake..

I have not seen this cement walkway you have mentioned. The pic at Grand Floridian does not show one and I don't recall seeing one the last time I was at the Contemporary. That does not mean a sidewalk cannot exist.

The water is not disgusting, I would call it natural as it has created its own environment since the lake had been created. I wouldn't expect it to get any better. At the beginning of the 70s when the park opened and when EPCOT Center opened, Disney was talking about how environmental they were. they talked about almost every manner of reclaiming and reusing including the waterway. You don't hear much about that these days.

I recall at one of the resorts there used to be a fish food feeder on the pier. You had to give them a quarter or two and get a hand full of fish food. When you tossed some in the water, there was an immediate flurry of fish going after the food. Unfortunately, that has been removed now, such is the case with many things at the resort as time goes by. Seems like all the little things that the guests enjoyed have gone away.

You have several meaningful comments and I respect your words. If I came across as sounding harsh, my intentions were not as such. I was merely looking for additional clarification. You have invested a lot of time thinking about how to refresh and create safety in such a nice area, and I commend you for taking the time to do so.

I truly agree with your last point: "little things that the guests enjoyed have gone away." As much as I miss the old, I must learn to transition and embrace the new.

I wouldn't mind the idea of "dressing it up a bit". I do agree, it may be nice.

bethymouse

The "beaches" at WDW to me have always been a place to just "look at" and enjoy from afar. It's beautiful, but just a "landscape" to me. If I wanted to go to a beach, then I'd head to Hilton Head, Vero Beach ( by Disney), Myrtle Beach, Ocean City, etc... Disney will have to look more closely at how they allow guests to "use" their beaches. I just don't know what the answer is to the problem.:(

Bluewaves

The fences are just temporary until the land mines can be installed.

But seriously, they look horrible, but then people are stupid and can't understand stay out of the water so now if someone goes over, under, or around the fence it's their own fault if something happens to them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom