Favorite WDW Podcast? Am I missing any?

lincolnryan

Original Poster
What are your favorite podcasts? Here are my big ones right now..

WDW Prep To Go: I like how the shows are broken up into topics since you can pick/choose which ones to download. I also like how she is very focused on park strategy and she can give a lot of good tips very concisely. The downside with this show is that she is probably to the point where she is taking on "show topics" that aren't really worthy of their own topics. I think this podcast can really be good if she did a 3-day a week schedule (or even 2) with a Tips day (current format), Trip Report day, and news/guests type day.

WDW Radio: At first I didn't really care for this show because I felt like it was more for someone who was a real regular at the parks and/or lived in the area and visited all the times. Over time though, I came to appreciate the upbeat nature of the show and consider it in the rotation now.

Be Our Guest: I used to like this one quite a bit, but there’s something that is missing with the show and I can’t put my finger on it. Mike is great, the owner of the travel agency is great, but then the younger lady and older lady are brutal. But even outside of that, what really boggles my mind is that they are SO far behind on questions (most of their questions are answered after people’s trips) and they still don’t sift through them to find broader questions that apply to more people. They’ll take the time to answer a question like “I am going to Disney in Oct 2014 and I lost my magic band, called Disney to deactivate it, and now I found it again. Can Disney reactivate this band?” . Those are the types of questions that nobody probably cares about and isn’t even relevant to the questioner since the time has passed. Go through and pick through some better questions so you can at least catch up!

Dis Unplugged: I honestly, HONESTLY have no idea why people listen to this podcast. They have like 6 people on the show and they are all kinda grumpy, particularly Kathy (?). Even with all those people, there isn’t 1 that I can say are really all that great. I think maybe the problem is all these people are local, so they can’t even empathize with a visitor…even though they are travel agents. They make fun of clients that say things like “I want to do everything” or “I want it to be magical” and then go on a tirade about people like that. I think there is only one lady on there that has kids and she reminds you of it at the beginning of every sentence. I also think she expects the world to revolve around her because she has kids (Hey, so does everyone else at Disney!)

WDW Today: I only recently discovered this and think it’s a really great show. All the people on the show are friendly and light-hearted. They seem to be pretty knowledgeable about all things Disney, including restaurants and hotels. The mix of the hosts is great too….one guy has young kids, Len I think has slightly older kids, and then there is the older guy.

I’ve listened to a couple other shows like Passporter girls (Brutal) and another one, but these are the only ones that I’ve listened to for more than a couple episodes. If I had to pick 2, I’d go with WDW Prep and WDW Today.

How bout you?

Millies

Unfortunately I can't recommend anything. But I just recently got into podcasts after listening to Serial, and I just booked my trip to WDW. So the idea of there being WDW podcasts has me very excited. Thank you for the reviews. I'm going to subscribe to a few, but are there any specific episodes you'd recommend to someone a month out from their trip?

lincolnryan

Original Poster
Unfortunately I can't recommend anything. But I just recently got into podcasts after listening to Serial, and I just booked my trip to WDW. So the idea of there being WDW podcasts has me very excited. Thank you for the reviews. I'm going to subscribe to a few, but are there any specific episodes you'd recommend to someone a month out from their trip?

If you are looking for just straight tips/strategy, then definitely check out WDW Prep School first and find topics you like. If you have kids, how old are they? I only ask cause there are some really good ones that you'd probably want to listen to, but might not be relevant depending on the age of the kid.

CP_alum08

I only listen to 2 anymore; and WedWay Radio. WedWay is all history, and it's great. is very much unbiased in my opinion. Where other Disney podcasts can be WAY too overly positive this one doesn't shy away from being critical of things that we should be critical of.

Sweet Melissa

Really the only Disney podcasts I listen to are the Disney Hipsters (be warned, not family-friendly) and ISO5571 (which is a Disney photography podcast).

draybook

I've caught a few DIS-unplugged podcasts, but most of them were the same two dudes and they seemed pretty cool. I caught one show that was like 4 or 5 people from I think the GF resort later last year. Honestly, I find the environment over at DIS to be a little more hostile as compared to here, so I keep that in mind when reading the live chat during the podcasts.

DisneyManOne

I personally love "What's the Attraction?" This is a review podcast hosted by two theme park geeks known only as SurferClock and TAP-G, and each episode, they review a certain attraction from one of the "big 3" theme parks in Central Florida (Disney, Universal and SeaWorld). There's a lot of fun gags they do, and if you're planning a trip to Disney for the first time, check them out because they provide insight on which atttractions are essentials for your trip and which ones to avoid like the plague.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Wedway is good one, they are upbeat but realistic. I read the WDW hipster blog occasionally, I might have to check out the podcast too.

Sans Souci

Out of curiosity, what did you think of Serial?

SeanWM48

lol i like when the hosts at DIS unplugged get cranky it's a good listen. i check out their podcast almost weekly or at least every other show. it's good to hear a local's perspective. also have to give pete credit for calling out disney when necessary. he's not one of those "everything is perfect in every way at disney world" type of people. like yeah we all love the place but let's not turn our brains off. just check out his rant(s) about the downtown parking garage

Bairstow

Two that I highly recommend:

The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish with Len Testa and Jim Hill: http://podbay.fm/show/452620851
Mostly just a platform to get Jim rolling and start spouting off interesting stories and obscure trivia.
The podcasts about the decisions that went into the planning and design of the various resorts are especially interesting.

The Season Pass Podcast: http://www.seasonpasspodcast.com/archive/index.html
This is actually a podcast about theme parks in general rather than just Disney's, but Disney is the most frequent topic of conversation.
A number of these, especially the interviews with Bob Gurr, Tony Baxter, Jerry Rees, and Garner Holt are absolute must-listens for Disney fans.
It's also a good way of broadening your horizons and see what else is out there in the world of theme parks and themed entertainment.

lazyboy97o

The Season Pass Podcast really is the best when it comes to real content. Hopefully the interviews with atony Baxter continue, as they seem like they will only get better the longer he is retired.

WEDway Radio is decent, but their research seems to always have some gaps.

40goingon7

I like WDWRadio, Lou is very passionate about Disney and the parks. Each episode is a delight to listen to, he also has trivia at the end of each podcast!

I also like 2men and a mouse. Same passion level, not as high quality but their love of Sonny Eclipse is a hoot. They recently had a Romance in the Parks podcast and the both detailed their stories of how they proposed to their wives in the MK. Very funny to hear they went through similar struggles and fears as I did.

Communicore Weekly has great history and reviews, with great music as well.

DIS is often very negative, as others have stated. Their recent review of My Magic+, I though, was from the viewpoint of a local without kids. Not to get into a debate here but for our family, who gets to go once a year, not having to get the entire family to the park at opening just to get a Fastpass for YFR is crazy! Because of the new system we already have our fastpasses for April so we don't have to rush the family out the door. The biggest complaint they had was that it gave them ride times for later that day, and they did not want to stay that late. Seemed to not be in line with their clients.

bgraham34

Currently I listening to the follow and enjoy them all.

Communicore Weekly - History and fun stuff
Enchanted Tiki Talk - Celeb Interviews and Different topics each week. I love their $40 a day shows
2 men and the mouse - News and general disney discussions
Radio Harambe - I don't always listen but good show on animal kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom