Favorite Places to Eat when NOT on dining plan!

MomofPrincessGrace

Original Poster
Hello Everyone!

So we are currently planning our trip for next year, and with the increased cost of the dining plan (and the super picky 7 year old that belongs to me), its not worth it to pay like $70+ per person per day. We are wanting to do maybe a table service everyone other day, and a cheap QS at other times. We will be staying in a DVC villa and driving down, so I am packing breakfast bars and snacks. We would also like recommendations for places with portion sizes large enough to share.

Here is my current 'want to eat' list:
Biergarten (never have eaten here)
Via Napoli (I really like their quattro formaggi pizza)
Crystal Palace (Breakfast)
maybe Mama Melrose with the Fantasmic Package

Thats all I can think of.

Kevin_W

We like Mama Melrose more than most of the internet seems to, but still prefer 50's Prime Time Cafe. 50's definitely has shareable portions as well, so it can be a cheaper TS meal. (I also haven't had a problem getting a Fantasmic seat without the package.)

We haven't been on the DDP in years since we could go during times FD was offered, so it doesn't affect what we chose to eat particularly. We go to places that we enjoy.

geekza

I'm in the same boat as the OP. We're driving down and staying a week, but the cost of the Dining Plan, combined with the difficulty in securing reservations, convinced us to just eat at just a very few Table Service locations, eat Quick Service for the rest, and pack our own breakfast food. I haven't been to WDW in 12 years and my wife has never been, so we have no idea what's really good.

Since it's just my wife and I and we're driving, we aren't necessarily tied to eating in the parks if there are more inexpensive places we can get to easily off-property.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
We eat at the same places with or without. Just go where we love or where we want to try no matter the cost or price, or dining plan or not etc. We eventually want to try all 85+ Restaurants on property. We don’t personally find though most table services are enough to share unless it’s served family style. Go by the menus you like pick that way. ;)

Here is some of our fave table services so far (lots more to try and won’t mention those we didn’t like being everyone is different so don’t want to discourage) ;)

Via Napoli
Tiffins
‘Ohana (both meals)
Mama Melrose
Kona Cafe (breakfast)
Boma (both meals)
Sanaa
Le Cellier
Turf Club
Splitsville (sushi is awesome)
Cali Grill
50’s
Sci Fi
Jiko
Hoop De Doo
Artist point
Olivia’s (all meals)
Homecomin’
Chef De France
Be our Guest (lunch and dinner haven’t tried breakfast)
Liberty Tree Inn (lunch when you can choose family style OR off regular menu a la carte)
Raglan Road
Tutto Italia
Rose and Crown
Hollywood Brown Derby

Here is our fave quick service locations so far:

Sunshine Seasons
Columbia Harbor House
Casey’s
Liberty Inn
Pizzafari
Restrauntourus
Kussafari Bakery(mainly snacks)
Flame Tree
The Mara
Contempo Cafe
Captain Cooks
Sommerset
Cosmic Rays
Harambe Market
Yak and Yeti QS
Sautli Canteen

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

We did not have the DDP on our last visit (last week), and given our meal cost totals, we saved quite a bit of money by not doing so. I should note that we most often drank free ice water with our meals except where noted otherwise below, and that at some of the a la carte TS we visited, my over-age-10 son ordered from the kids' menu. We'd prepared him for the possibility that he might not be allowed to, but no server batted an eye.

Our favorite TS meals (and coincidentally, our least expensive ones) were:

- dinner at Yak & Yeti (no ADR, but we got priority seating with our Landry's Select rewards card, and the food and service were top-notch, with huge portions: cost for 2 appetizers - I had one as my meal - 1 adult entree - spicy Korean beef, which DH said melted in his mouth - 2 kid entrees, and 3 specialty drinks, with 20% gratuity: $121)
- lunch at Via Napoli (cost for a large pizza which was delicious but so big that DH and I couldn't even finish it, 2 kids' spaghetti, salad for 3 which we also couldn't finish, and wine flight, with 20% gratuity: $125)
- dinner at Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater (the food may not be spectacular, but it's perfectly good and the atmosphere is unique and worth trying at least once, cost for 3 adult entrees with decent portion sizes, 1 kid entree and 3 milkshakes, with 20% gratuity: $102)

Our favorite CS meals were:

- lunch at Pecos Bill's (cost for one fajita platter split between two adults and we still couldn't finish it by the time we'd added items from the toppings bar, plus an extra order of tortillas, 2 kids meals and 2 orders of churros: $45)
- lunch at Hurricane Hanna's (Beach Club) (we ate there twice as we were staying at the BC and it was convenient to our room, plus it offered an interesting menu, which had everything from Buffalo chicken to a seafood roll, and the kids' meals were served in sand pails the kids could use later: cost for 2 adult entrees and 2 child meals: $42-45).
- breakfast at Captain Cook's (Poly) (2 orders of Tonga Toast, one with bacon and one with sausage, that we split between the four of us because the portions were so large, total cost $18).

OP, I see that Biergarten is also on your list. Although we didn't go there this time, I wholeheartedly recommend it. It's one of my family's favorites, and one of the most fun and crowd-pleasing buffets on property in my opinion. If you can, schedule your meal to coincide with a live musical performance.

MomofPrincessGrace

Original Poster
We did not have the DDP on our last visit (last week), and given our meal cost totals, we saved quite a bit of money by not doing so. I should note that we most often drank free ice water with our meals except where noted otherwise below, and that at some of the a la carte TS we visited, my over-age-10 son ordered from the kids' menu. We'd prepared him for the possibility that he might not be allowed to, but no server batted an eye.

Our favorite TS meals (and coincidentally, our least expensive ones) were:

- dinner at Yak & Yeti (no ADR, but we got priority seating with our Landry's Select rewards card, and the food and service were top-notch, with huge portions: cost for 2 appetizers - I had one as my meal - 1 adult entree - spicy Korean beef, which DH said melted in his mouth - 2 kid entrees, and 3 specialty drinks, with 20% gratuity: $121)
- lunch at Via Napoli (cost for a large pizza which was delicious but so big that DH and I couldn't even finish it, 2 kids' spaghetti, salad for 3 which we also couldn't finish, and wine flight, with 20% gratuity: $125)
- dinner at Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater (the food may not be spectacular, but it's perfectly good and the atmosphere is unique and worth trying at least once, cost for 3 adult entrees with decent portion sizes, 1 kid entree and 3 milkshakes, with 20% gratuity: $102)

Our favorite CS meals were:

- lunch at Pecos Bill's (cost for one fajita platter split between two adults and we still couldn't finish it by the time we'd added items from the toppings bar, plus an extra order of tortillas, 2 kids meals and 2 orders of churros: $45)
- lunch at Hurricane Hanna's (Beach Club) (we ate there twice as we were staying at the BC and it was convenient to our room, plus it offered an interesting menu, which had everything from Buffalo chicken to a seafood roll, and the kids' meals were served in sand pails the kids could use later: cost for 2 adult entrees and 2 child meals: $42-45).
- breakfast at Captain Cook's (Poly) (2 orders of Tonga Toast, one with bacon and one with sausage, that we split between the four of us because the portions were so large, total cost $18).

OP, I see that Biergarten is also on your list. Although we didn't go there this time, I wholeheartedly recommend it. It's one of my family's favorites, and one of the most fun and crowd-pleasing buffets on property in my opinion. If you can, schedule your meal to coincide with a live musical performance.
The portions at Via Napoli are huge. Me and DD could have easily split the kids pizza last trip. I really want to try Pecos Bill's, it just hasnt fit into our plans, yet. We will be doing a split between Poly and BW, and I SOOOO want to try the tonga toast and that is an AWESOME value! I will have to check out Hurricane Hanna's too, because that sounds good too!

geekza

I think we're definitely going to hit Pecos Bill's this year. Since we're on a budget, there aren't a whole lot of Quick Service options in the MK that are supposed to be decent. When I was younger, Cosmic Ray's was entertaining and I didn't care so much about the quality of the food. Now that I'm firmly middle-aged, I don't know that Sonny Eclipse and soggy fries would sit well with my wife and me.

Looking at the prices for an average meal on-property, I have a feeling we're going to be eating a lot of Pop-Tarts and peanut butter sandwiches.

MomofPrincessGrace

Original Poster
I think we're definitely going to hit Pecos Bill's this year. Since we're on a budget, there aren't a whole lot of Quick Service options in the MK that are supposed to be decent. When I was younger, Cosmic Ray's was entertaining and I didn't care so much about the quality of the food. Now that I'm firmly middle-aged, I don't know that Sonny Eclipse and soggy fries would sit well with my wife and me.

Looking at the prices for an average meal on-property, I have a feeling we're going to be eating a lot of Pop-Tarts and peanut butter sandwiches.
I was actually surprised when I was looking at the QS prices as it was a little cheaper than I thought. We had always done the DDP, but its just not worth it to pay and we will be doing the 'pre-pay' buy loading the money on a gift card to use. Whats great about the QS places is you can order a kids meal and will most likely be full after. We have made the mistake too many times of stuffing ourselves and then walking around in the heat and we were miserable. I do know that the footlong as Casey's with fries is plenty for 2 adults. I was only able to eat about half of it before I had eaten myself sick. We will be splitting that next time.

Goofy KC

Another vote for Via Napoli! Easy to share, tasty apps in case pizza isn't enough.
I love, love Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe. Folks will say you can get it at the QS but it ain't the same. The strawberry sauce adds the 'wow!'
Not a fan of Biergarten, but many really like it. The seating is weird and I don't like the smell of kraut.
Brown Derby is nice and you can choose to go expensive or not. The salad is super filling and affordable by Disney standards. If you are doing Via Napoli, Mama Mel's might be too much Italian??

MomofPrincessGrace

Original Poster
Another vote for Via Napoli! Easy to share, tasty apps in case pizza isn't enough.
I love, love Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe. Folks will say you can get it at the QS but it ain't the same. The strawberry sauce adds the 'wow!'
Not a fan of Biergarten, but many really like it. The seating is weird and I don't like the smell of kraut.
Brown Derby is nice and you can choose to go expensive or not. The salad is super filling and affordable by Disney standards. If you are doing Via Napoli, Mama Mel's might be too much Italian??
I love sour kraut so that wouldn't be an issue for me :hungry:. I was hesitant of the seating arraignments but after cruising a few weeks ago and being stuck with the same family for 3 nights at dinner with no music in the background as a detraction wasn't too terribly bad. Im usually good at making conversation, but maybe we will sit with people who just like to mind their own. Also, I could eat Italian food all the time haha, especially if doing pizza one night and pasta another.

danyoung56

We eat at the same places with or without. Just go where we love or where we want to try no matter the cost or price, or dining plan or not etc. We eventually want to try all 85+ Restaurants on property.

I do this same thing. It doesn't matter whether a given restaurant is considered overpriced or not - if I wanna eat there, I do. Course, I'm just a single park stormer, so it's not too bad budgeting for one!

IWhen I was younger, Cosmic Ray's was entertaining and I didn't care so much about the quality of the food. Now that I'm firmly middle-aged, I don't know that Sonny Eclipse and soggy fries would sit well with my wife and me.

Awww, c'mon - an average burger while watching Sonny Eclipse is pure Disney magic!!!

Amos1784

My husband and I if eating at a Table Service normally go the route of one appetizer and one meal and we split it and think it is PLENTY of food. Especially if it is hot outside. We also have found some counter service to have improved drastically in the past few years.

Counter Service:
Satulli Canteen- AK
Fish and Chips- UK Epcot (fraction of the cost just as good as inside)
Tangerine Cafe- Morocco
Flame Tree BBQ- AK
Sleepy Hollow- Waffle Sandwiches MK
Hurricane Hannah's- Beach Club

Table Service:
Via Napoli- Great Value in comparison and easily shareable
Biergarten
Boathouse
Homecomin
Crews Cup- Yacht Club
Olivia's- Old Key West
Sanaa- AK Lodge
Yak and Yeti- I know it gets mixed reviews but we have always had a great meal there

The only one on your list I would maybe not "recommend" is Crystal Palace but it may just be more a preference. I always feel like no matter what reservation or not we end up waiting a long time for a table and it is just overly crowded and kind of crazy. I would rather do Breakfast at O'Hana, not as much variety in food however a more pleasant dining experience. Some love Crystal though so if you are partial to Winnie the Pooh characters you might love it.

LeighM

Our March trip was the first trip we've done in years without the Dining Plan. We only had a few table service ADRs that were on our must do list: Ohana dinner, Kona Cafe breakfast, and Boma dinner (which we had to cancel when my husband got sick the day before). Everything else was quick service. My husband and I have different tastes so sharing meals is never an option for us, however, I did wish we had split the waffles at Sleepy Hollow (MK) for breakfast, as well as the breakfast burrito at Yak and Yeti Local Foods Cafe. I never eat a large breakfast but it's my husband's favorite meal of the day. The portions were too large for me to finish.

MomofPrincessGrace

Original Poster
The only one on your list I would maybe not "recommend" is Crystal Palace but it may just be more a preference. I always feel like no matter what reservation or not we end up waiting a long time for a table and it is just overly crowded and kind of crazy. I would rather do Breakfast at O'Hana, not as much variety in food however a more pleasant dining experience. Some love Crystal though so if you are partial to Winnie the Pooh characters you might love it.

Although the food is meh I love the atmosphere. Both times we have eaten here were for lunch. Last time was a longer wait, but not more than 20-30 minutes. I think the topiaries are so cute!

Does anyone know if you can do Ohana if one of the people in your party wont eat the food? Both me and my sister would love to eat dinner there, but the kid (8 yo) wont eat any of the food. Although I would love the experience, its not worth it to pay for her if she won't eat anything.

geekza

Crystal Palace used to be really nice "back in the old days," but it's really all about the character interactions now. It's still pretty, but I understand that you don't go there for the fine cuisine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom