Favorite Fast Food Place: KFC or Popeye's

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Popeyes, between these two.

But, Bojangles is my favorite.
We have had a few Bojangles pop up in J-ville over the last couple of years, but none are all that close to me. Is there anything notable about them that would make me go out of my way?

Bairstow

We have had a few Bojangles pop up in J-ville over the last couple of years, but none are all that close to me. Is there anything notable about them that would make me go out of my way?

Well the bone-in chicken and french fries are both markedly better than Popeyes'.
They have good dirty rice too, but be careful- it's surprisingly hot.

peter_tsai_food_bojangles-4.jpg

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The chicken spices are better, nice tang to them, and a great crispy crunch that doesn't get soggy as fast as Popeyes (and certainly not KFC, where it seems like it's almost always soggy). Especially the spicy blend. They have fried seafood which is also good (the Po-Boys are excellent). The fries are seasoned and ok, but the dirty rice is awesome. The red beans and rice is pretty good (I've had better, but for fast food it's decent).

But, really, yeah, best fast food chicken I think, when it comes to the fried stuff.

prberk

A lot of people argued that Hardee's chicken was better than KFC or anyone else in town. I think they still have it here in Virginia, but I have not been in a while.

Fun fact: the reason that Hardee's added chicken was that they bought out the Roy Rogers fast food chain, which was a burger joint with fried chicken (AND a great burger fixin's bar, I might add, which would rival any fixin's bar you would find at WDW). There adapted Roy Rogers' chicken recipe for their Hardee's restaurants. Some Roy Rogers locations stayed as Roy Rogers, particularly at rest areas in the north (probably for contractual reasons), but most have now closed, I think. Hardee's is the same company as Carl's Junior in the western United States. Don't know when that happened.

MaxsDad

I live in the town where Hardee's originated. Yes, their fried chicken was pretty good. When they decided to go in this current direction, they dropped the chicken around here. (Some offer Red Burrito Mexican Food as well). The ones near me would go under if not for one thing: Breakfast. They do a strong breakfast, then the place is a ghost town for the rest of the day. I can still remember the first Hardee's sausage biscuit I had in the 1970's. They are good. This new direction was poorly executed. If you are going to go the premium angle, you can not come off so cheap and sleazy in your ads. And if you are going to charge a premium for your product, you better have a decently clean environment and good servers.

Here, as far as bone in chicken goes, Bojangles is dominant. Popeyes is not big yet, but I suspect they are trying to build.

Oddly, the number one chicken franchise (sales and consumer rankings) has not yet been mentioned in this thread.

Bairstow

Oddly, the number one chicken franchise (sales and consumer rankings) has not yet been mentioned in this thread.

Chick-fil-a doesn't have bone-in chicken, so they're not really relevant.
Fried chicken sandwiches and strips are a completely different genre of food from "fried chicken".

betty rose

Just a question, does anyone know why our KFC is changing it's menu all the time. They had a new rice bowl, that was pretty good. (I'm not a picky eater), went back the next week, and it was gone. This seems to be happening a lot at our franchise.:confused:

Bairstow

Just a question, does anyone know why our KFC is changing it's menu all the time. They had a new rice bowl, that was pretty good. (I'm not a picky eater), went back the next week, and it was gone. This seems to be happening a lot at our franchise.:confused:

They're probably just experimenting with taking an approach like Popeyes, which has a rotating specialty menu with a limited-time item every month.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom