1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Fantasmic! 2.0 Rumors, Speculation, Announcments

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by Nland316, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Nland316

Nland316 Well-Known Member

Fantasmic! has been dark for almost the past year and a half, but is rumored to return with new scenes and tech enhancements later this summer. I felt that it was about time to start a thread on this beloved return as we approach the supposed reopening of the show. As for what updates may be in store, lips have been sealed pretty tight, but rumors suggest a new Pirates of the Caribbean scene- replacing Peter Pan on the Colombia, as well as a Tangled scene- presumably with glowing lanterns. Recently I saw a tweet of a screenshot from the DPB that basically confirm show enhancements. Let's hope that the quirkiness and charm of the show is still kept intact and the updates do the show some good! https://twitter.com/woc91elefante/status/833843859041849344

PrincessJulia1207, mickEblu and kap91 like this.
  2. thealmightyvance

thealmightyvance Well-Known Member

drones for the lanterns? plz disney

Nland316 and Dr. Hans Reinhardt like this.
  3. Figments Friend

Figments Friend Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to the new edition.
    Interested to see what is added and how they decide to stage it.

I'm hoping for some stellar 'magical' moments that will make viewers gasp in wonder.

I'm hoping for a exciting and tastefully done 'Disney nighttime staged spectacular'

I'm hoping for a lush, symphonic musical journey and NOT yet another 'Disney video clip show'.

I'm hoping for 'Murphy' to be in excellent condition and ready to roar for another twenty years.

I'm also hoping it is not saturated with 'Pixar' , 'Marvel', and 'Star Wars' references.

Fingers, arms, and legs crossed.
    Don't let us down, DLR Entertainment!

-

4. raven24

raven24 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't this be Fantasmic! 3.0?

Crazydisneyfanluke likes this.
  5. GiveMeTheMusic

GiveMeTheMusic Well-Known Member

I mean, 2009 was really Fantasmic 1.5 - the content didn't change at all. This is the first time the show's content will really be shaken up.

6. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

Dr. Hans Reinhardt Well-Known Member

And it's not a moment too soon. Loved the old show but after seeing the ginormous mist screens and soaring fountains in WoC the Fantasmic production seemed a little lacking. It was still good, but a refresh definitely wouldn't hurt.

brb1006 and nemofinder22 like this.
  7. SuddenStorm

SuddenStorm Well-Known Member

I don't think the mist screens or fountains will be much bigger for this iteration unless Disney really dumps some money into it. In 2014, they added new fountains that were similar to WoC but they kept breaking so they went back to being static.

The Woc vs. Fantasmic debate will go on till the end of time- I think that Woc has fountain and screen effects better than F!, but F! has better music, clips, and other effects. Actual performers is a real plus as well.

8. SuddenStorm

What worries me is the potential loss of original animation and renditions of classic Disney songs. They might just take a WoC and play the clips from the movies- with the same audio, over the fountains with actors dancing on stage etc. which I think might be a huge loss.

A few months ago on Reddit, a guy claiming to be a Cast Member (which I always take with a grain of salt, since that could be some guy working the churro cart) shared this

"We are hoping to change fastpass up(not solid news), Peter Pan is out and replaced with pirates of the Caribbean with some awesome effects, Pinocchio is also out(he didn't work near the end) and replaced with some unknown scene, bigger/more princess barges, new lights and effects overall and some new finale that I'm unsure of as of now!"

This lines up with what we've heard, and makes sense. Not really any new news, just thought I'd share.

I also predict that most of the Fantasia bits will go, and the Pink Elephants segment.

brb1006 likes this.
  9. SuddenStorm

This is gonna be an unpopular opinion- but what if Disney just scrapped the whole show, and developed a new soundtrack, and new uses for the island, Columbia, and Twain? By altering the current show, they limit their creative abilities (in the same vein as overlaying an attraction).

This would also prevent it from having to compete with 25 years of nostalgia. Disney could likely do some pretty amazing stuff.

FerretAfros likes this.
  10. Nland316

Nland316 Well-Known Member Original Poster

Snippets I've gathered from @DLThings on Twitter, and just general online sources:
    -New projections on Colombia and TSI
    -Tangled is in (i'm hoping for drone lanterns)
    -No Marvel, Star Wars, or Frozen
    -Aladdin is replacing Pinocchio
    -POTC is replacing Peter Pan
    -June 16th is the target date, but of course things shift and is most definitely not confirmed

And I'm sure there are others, but I really hope that these changes don't butcher the show. They are already quite extensive but I am remaining cautiously optimistic.

BrianLo and brb1006 like this.
  11. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

Dr. Hans Reinhardt Well-Known Member

This got my attention and sounds promising.

brb1006 likes this.
  12. LizaMarie89

LizaMarie89 Active Member

I had a moments panic that this was at wdw and fantasmic wouldn't be happening during my trip - this is only disneyland currently, correct?

brb1006 likes this.
  13. brb1006

brb1006 Well-Known Member

New animation for the water screens is welcome.

14. brb1006

brb1006 Well-Known Member

But the Fantasia bits sorta served as an unofficial symbol for the show.

Crazydisneyfanluke likes this.
  15. HMF

HMF Well-Known Member

The first point I can only sigh at.
    The second I will withhold judgement till i see it.(on youtube)
    but I don't really like the idea.

16. GiveMeTheMusic

Perfectly normal pirates don't turn into zombies without some technological assistance.

17. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

Yes. WDW has never changed their show, nor even closed it for a good long rehab.

Disneyland's Fantasmic has had three long rehabs in the last 15 years, and it has been closed for 14 months and will reopen as a new show with new tech and scenes and characters this summer.

18. LizaMarie89

LizaMarie89 Active Member

Thank you for answering me! Looks like amother trip to WDL is needed!

TP2000 likes this.
  19. GiveMeTheMusic

A Fantasmic redo at WDW is on the table, but TDO has not committed the budget. And they may not ever, because WDW fans love circa 1998 Fantasmic.

drew81, AJH219 and brb1006 like this.
  20. drizgirl

drizgirl Well-Known Member

Do they love Fantasmic circa 1998 or do they tolerate it?

I do think the DLR AP base does a good job holding feet to the fire with park updates.

wdrive and Dr. Hans Reinhardt like this.