Family/Group usage question...

Kristamouse

Original Poster
Kids are out of school for summer and after a long day of the library, lunch and Kroger I started day dreaming about our WDW susprise trip over Labor Day. Then I started thinking about the Magic Bands and my five darling children the complete pain in the a@@ them trying to use the Magic Bands may be.
My question, our family of 7 ( no magic band for Baby Boy I'm guessing) have FP for Dumbo, does each child have to touch Mickey to Mickey to get in the line or just DH and I can tap for all of us?
The children will not have charging privilegeds but will have room access (for a Mom and Dad have hands full holding the other sleeping siblings moment).

ratherbeinwdw

Kids are out of school for summer and after a long day of the library, lunch and Kroger I started day dreaming about our WDW susprise trip over Labor Day. Then I started thinking about the Magic Bands and my five darling children the complete pain in the a@@ them trying to use the Magic Bands may be.
My question, our family of 7 ( no magic band for Baby Boy I'm guessing) have FP for Dumbo, does each child have to touch Mickey to Mickey to get in the line or just DH and I can tap for all of us?
The children will not have charging privilegeds but will have room access (for a Mom and Dad have hands full holding the other sleeping siblings moment).
Everyone has to touch.

ratherbeinwdw

Actually, most of the kids I've seen, the two times we've used magicbands, didn't have a problem touching the mickey head. We have found that wearing the Mickey head on your band with ears closest to your body is the easiest way to touch. Just use the Mickey reader on your left. If you want to wear the band on your right arm, then do the same and have the ears closest to your body and use the reader on the right. This way, you don't have to turn your arm in a weird way.

Kristamouse

Original Poster
Great...can you feel my eye roll? Thank you for the quick answer.
To all traveling 8/31 to 9/8 I am so sorry if you are behind us ans will do my best to show the kids how to do tough quickly:)

ninjaprincesst

It's really very easy, my four year old niece had no issues whatsoever. You do not have to touch mickeys ear to ear, it still works pefectlt fine if the bottom of your mickey is to the top of theirs.

Rob562

Great...can you feel my eye roll? Thank you for the quick answer.
To all traveling 8/31 to 9/8 I am so sorry if you are behind us ans will do my best to show the kids how to do tough quickly:)

You could always do a "training run" at home. Find a pic or two of the FP+ touch posts online, print them out and tape them up in a couple places in your house. Have your kids wear their Band, and pretend to "check in" to different rooms in your house. Maybe say "DING!" when they've done it correctly.

As for everyone checking in at FP+, generally they have everyone touch both the post at the entrance and then the second one at the merge point. But there are occasional reports that at some attractions they only have one or two people in the group touch the first post to keep the line from forming outside the queue. (This seems to be reported as happening most often at the Sarafi in AK) Everyone will have to touch the second post at the FastPass/Standby merge point, though.

-Rob

LAM378

My 4-year-old didn't want to wear his Magicband for more than 3 minutes a day (separate minutes, not even consecutive minutes), so I always wore it right alongside my own or fastened to my backpack strap. I'd just tell the CM I had his band and touch the Mickeys with both our bands. The CMs never cared. Even entering a park, I'd often be rushing in on the right side while my dad leisurely strolled my son up on the left side 30 seconds later, and I'd tell the CM, "this is for me and stroller kid over there," and it would be fine. I'm not sure why that's okay but it always was.

Long story short, if you get lucky and any of the kids don't want to wear their bands, just strap as many as you can to yourself and your husband and you'll speed things up.

Kristamouse

Original Poster
Thank you all, it is a susprise trip so no trial runs here.
I am sure I will me holding a group of them anyway so glad I can click them all at once...

docdebbi

if there was going to be no line to queue up in when you got to the further end of the FP+ line this might matter, but i assure you, you are only holding people up from getting to the next line.

rarely do you walk directly on without even a little delay at that end.

so no big deal. deep breath. no stress.

cspencer96

Thank you all, it is a susprise trip so no trial runs here.
I am sure I will me holding a group of them anyway so glad I can click them all at once...
You will probably have no issue. With almost every family I saw on my most recent visit, it was the parents having the trouble, not the kids. Once the kids do it once, its fun, because an action they are doing makes Mickey turn green, and they hear the "pixie dust" as they do it correctly. They remember how to do it because it is fun. The parents, however, would have to turn their band around because they aren't wearing it properly, or try to scan the side of the band even as the CM instructs "Mickey to Mickey!" It was tragic for them, because their kids would go through so fast and be on their way while they are holding up the line! If you could, on your first visit to a park find a not-so-crowded Touchpoint to use when you enter. Show the kids what you do first, and then let them do it - they'll probably think its crazy awesome, and want to do it over and over again (I witnessed this, too. Cure? Play the in-park games that use the Magic Band).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom