Face Characters: WDW vs DLR

Raineman

Original Poster
Would if be fair to say that DLR puts more effort into the presentation of their face characters than WDW does? I have never been to DLR, but I have watched countless videos of their face characters, especially Alice and the Mad Hatter, Peter Pan, Lady Tremaine, Anastasia and Drizella, and it seems like how they are presented is very different from the face characters I've seen at WDW. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is impossible to talk to any character-face or atmosphere-without getting in a queue at WDW, yet, at DLR, they are free to wander around and interact with whomever they come into contact with. Were the characters getting mobbed so much at WDW that they had to get people to line up-and if so, why is this not an issue in California?

Bairstow

It isn't an issue in California because the park is made up of mostly repeat visitors who know the drill, know not to mob the characters, and just simply make a line.

Yeah, it's a culture difference.

The whole attitude at Disneyland is far more laid back and relaxed than at Disney World.
Disney World guests tend to be stressed out, trying to in cram everything they planned into a 7-day family vacation that they saved 2 years to be able to afford.
Disneyland guests, or at least a lot of them, just dropped by for a fun day with the kids. They've been there before, they'll be back, and there's no reason to freak out.
The same attitude rubs off on the Disneyland cast members as well, at least the non-character ones, who tend to be more relaxed and less theatrical.

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
I think it is awesome that they can roam freely & I wish it was possible for that to take place in WDW too. That being said, when I visited DLR for the first time in November I didn't really have good character experiences. We went to Fantasy Faire to meet the princesses and all three (Snow White, Ariel, and Cinderella) were very focused on just posing for the photo and not interacting with us at all. They didn't even mention my birthday button, which is normally something EVERY character acknowledges (at least in WDW). Maybe it was just a fluke, but it was pretty disappointing.

Jon81uk

Disneyland Paris used to have less structured meat and greets, but they would get mobbed and you couldn't get a picture as everyone just pushed their kids to the front. I'd rather have nice organised lines. Or characters out and about but not stopping for photos.

Vegas Disney Fan

As someone who goes to DL frequently as a solo adult I love having the characters out and about, not only because they make me feel like a little kid but also because it makes for great people watching. Every time I go to Disneyland at some point I will end up on a bench in Town Square watching the characters interacting with the kids, the smiles and laughter are contagious and for someone who doesn't have kids it's a highlight of every trip. I've only been to WDW once but I really missed being able to catch glimpses of those magical moments.

mikenatcity1

The first time I went to DLR I was shocked that the characters were roaming around. I think I was also more shocked that they have villains randomly out as well. It's great to have the fab 5 in Town Square or 1-2 princesses at the ticket turnstyles near the train station. It's for sure something that I miss when I go to WDW.

KCheatle

As far as the quality of the characters, I found some of the face characters at DLR a bit disinterested at times. At WDW, I think the characters know that this could be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for this family and so they make the most of it. But in DL, they know that chances are good these guests will be back and it's kind of like, "yeah, yeah, whatever..."

Sure- you definitely see more characters wandering around at DLR, but I didn't feel they were "in to it" as much as the WDW characters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom