Face character ethnicities overseas

BasiltheBatLord

Original Poster
This is kind of a random topic, but it's something I've wondered for a while: In overseas parks (particularly the Asian ones) are certain ethnicities imported in to play respective face characters? For example does Disney employ white women to play Snow White, Aurora, Elsa etc, a black woman for Tiana, an Arabian woman for Jasmine and so on? If so, what is the casting process like for that? Do they actually hire actresses from abroad or do they look within the park's country itself for foreigners who are living there?

I was at HKDL a few weeks ago. I didn't meet any face characters but I noticed the princesses in Flights of Fantasy were for sure white, while I couldn't exactly tell the ethnicities of the princesses in Wondrous Book.

lazyboy97o

Yes, persons of the matching ethnicity are brought to the parks from abroad. Typically they hire from those already working as face characters at Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World.

retwinked

Thanks that's interesting. Are they required to learn the country's native language?

Not at all. In fact, even if they are able to speak the country's language, they are not supposed to because it would be considered "breaking character" since in the original movies the characters all speak English. In this sense they would be staying true to their original portrayal. Of all the times I visited Ariel at her meet and greet at DisneySea, I have never heard her once speak Japanese even if 98% of her visitors were Japanese. And she would use difficult phrases with very American nuances like "Where do you swim from?" and "Oh that's a nice dinglehopper" which I'm sure totally go over their heads, but they all mostly come for the picture, not so much for the chat haha.

Sped2424

Not at all. In fact, even if they are able to speak the country's language, they are not supposed to because it would be considered "breaking character" since in the original movies the characters all speak English. In this sense they would be staying true to their original portrayal. Of all the times I visited Ariel at her meet and greet at DisneySea, I have never heard her once speak Japanese even if 98% of her visitors were Japanese. And she would use difficult phrases with very American nuances like "Where do you swim from?" and "Oh that's a nice dinglehopper" which I'm sure totally go over their heads, but they all mostly come for the picture, not so much for the chat haha.

Doesn't seem like these guys are breaking character. The rules and guidelines for language are far different than you think my friend when it comes to these performers.

GiveMeTheMusic

Doesn't seem like these guys are breaking character. The rules and guidelines for language are far different than you think my friend when it comes to these performers.

It sounds like the previous poster was referring to Tokyo specifically, where that is indeed the case. They want them to speak English as much as possible there. Paris and Shanghai are different.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom