Exciting news!

lovethatwalt

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

I'm a new member to this board and a HUGE fan of Walt Disney - the man. I am so excited to have found this forum with so many other fans!

I recently ordered the Silly Symphonies dvd and showed it to my classroom of first graders. They were completely awestruck and enthralled - in particular by "The Skeleton Dance."

I was shocked that in this day and age - where children are used to such technologically advanced films as Shrek and Toy Story, they could be equally as captivated by a black and white 80-year old cartoon.

I decided to send a letter to both Diane Disney and Roy E. Disney about this incident, and I received a handwritten letter from Roy Disney about four days ago!!! I couldn't believe it! It truly has made my year!! :animwink:

disneypearl

Congrats on getting the letter from Roy E. Disney! I hope you have it in a frame. I would love to send a letter if you could PM me their addresses. I am currently reading An American Original Walt Disney by Bob Thomas. It is a very good book that tells all about Walt's life. What an amazing man!

Welcome to the boards! This is a great place to talk Disney! :wave:

lovethatwalt

Original Poster
Sounds like an interesting book - I'll have to check it out. To tell you the truth, I simply sent the letter to Roy to the Walt Disney Studios in California. I was shocked that he wrote back! I'm still hoping to hear from Diane.

Jesùs_Carioca

Hahaha, ooooh man! That really does sound amazing. The letter for one, and not as importantly yet still beautiful, the fact that you are a cool enough teacher to show her children Silly Symphonies!

Don't leave out the three little pigs, if i may request.

oh, would it bee too much to ask what he wrote in the letter? It really sounds thrilling...i'd love to listen to what Roy had to say.

DisneyBride94

That's awesome. :D Did you share it with your class??
Isn't it nice to know the art of letter writing is still alive and well and appreciated out there somewhere?

lovethatwalt

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

I'm still just so excited by the fact that I found this message board! I had NO idea there were so many Walt Disney fans out there, but am thrilled that there are!

Jesus Carioca, I'm glad you appreciate the fact that I show the Silly Symphonies to my first graders - they love them! I can only hope the parents appreciate it too! Luckily, I only show them during lunch time, not academic time, although you could learn a lot about history from studying the life and times of Walt.

Here is the typed version of my letter from Roy, verbatim:

Dear Allison -
Thanks so much for your letter and the picture of you and your class - and the wonderful story about "Skeleton Dance!"
It's nice to know that the great material STAYS great!
Best Wishes
- Roy E. Disney

Disneybride - I did share the letter with my students, and they were very excited. It also instilled the fact that writing letters is so powerful, as you mentioned.

Wow...so awesome about that letter! How on earth did you find an address to send to them?? I have been looking forever for one...let me know if you are willing to share...and PM me!!!

What a great memory to share with your class and future classes!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom