Evacuations

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
As for Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, it's just standard roller coaster evacuation with all trains stopping at the nearest block brake, followed by cast members leading the guests to the exit. As for the other two... I have to refer you to someone more experienced in Disney exclusive ride systems.

Doodlyday

Original Poster
As for Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, it's just standard roller coaster evacuation with all trains stopping at the nearest block brake, followed by cast members leading the guests to the exit. As for the other two... I have to refer you to someone more experienced in Disney rides.
Is it possible to be stuck mid loop, and if so, how would they handle that?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Indeed. RnRC stops at brake zones where there are adjacent platforms and stairs.

Soarin', one can imagine it has an emergency gravity release.

Tower, if all else fails, can evacuate onto the roof of the VVC as a very last resort.

Tom

Beta Return
Is it possible to be stuck mid loop, and if so, how would they handle that?

If that happened, it would be a catastrophic failure. It's happened on coasters before, and it's because of a serious structural or mechanical failure. There's nothing natural to stop a train in a loop, nor is it possible without physical intervention (i.e. broken track or train catching on each other).

Tom

Beta Return
Indeed. RnRC stops at brake zones where there are adjacent platforms and stairs.

Tower, if all else fails, can evacuate onto the roof of the VVC as a very last resort.

:eek: So, if there is a complete failure in the lift or drop shafts, they would evac guests onto the roof of the VVC? I can't even comprehend that. They'd have to bring me lunch and a bedpan, because I'd be staying put in the cab until they got it moving again.

So you're saying when Soarin' breaks down, it becomes ToT? :eek:

I was imagining that if that gravity release was engaged it would be pretty jarring for guests upon impact.

It would be a controlled descent. And it would likely only happen if the backup generators also failed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
:eek: So, if there is a complete failure in the lift or drop shafts, they would evac guests onto the roof of the VVC? I can't even comprehend that. They'd have to bring me lunch and a bedpan, because I'd be staying put in the cab until they got it moving again.
Absolutely positively the last resort if for a catastrophic reason the car cannot be moved.

kap91

Soarin also has cherry picker type lifts used for maintenance that could be used if all else failed.

I've always wondered how they evac pirates in a non emergency. Do they make people get their feet wet?

Tom

Beta Return
Soarin also has cherry picker type lifts used for maintenance that could be used if all else failed.

I've always wondered how they evac pirates in a non emergency. Do they make people get their feet wet?

No. CMs put on waders and tow boats to the next spot where the "track" gets near shore. There are several locations throughout the ride. We were evac'd from DLR's Pirates last year.

EvanAnderson

For Soarin, if the carriages get stuck in the air, there's a Return To Load button on the Tower console that works basically every time. It will lower all 3 carriages (A, B and C) to the ground. Seatbelts then have to be manually unlocked with air release valves under the seats.

If Return To Load doesnt work, then maintenance has to come and go behind each carriage and manually jog it down using "Jog Mode". Each carriage is seperate, (the theatre can fly with any variation of the carriages going at once), so each has to be jogged down 1 by 1. It can take 10-15 minutes to get them all down. Then seatbelts are manually unlocked again.

If that doesn't work, the very last straw is using Reedy Creek Emergency Services to use the cherry picker (already in the theatres) to get everyone out one by one. It has been simulated before, but never used on guests.

loveofamouse

For roller coasters anywhere, they run on gravity. They take you to the top of a lift hill and drop the car for the ride. That's why no more than 1 coaster car can be in an area between brakes at any time. There are also brake areas throughout the track that can stop a car, slow a car travelling to fast, or otherwise control what is basically graceful falling. In an emergency, your car would just continue to the next brake area where it will sit until someone comes and manually unlock the harnesses and walk you out.

For ToT, the first lift and the 5th D all are areas the vehicle can be stopped and passengers unloaded. I would imagine that, in the drop chambers, since you are sitting in a frame anyways, it would stop midsequence and either stay where it was until manually lowered to the ground or gently lower itself down if the system's safeties would allow it (i.e. no lift unloading below you). In the event of a full system outage, I would imagine that everything would come to a grinding halt exactly where it is since no where during that ride are you not controlled (no free falling).

Rob562

Absolutely positively the last resort if for a catastrophic reason the car cannot be moved.

Martin, I know there are platforms inside the shaft (either behind or next to the VVC). Presumably they can evac onto those in an emergency through a pop-open panel in the cab (ala Horizons)?

-Rob

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Martin, I know there are platforms inside the shaft (either behind or next to the VVC). Presumably they can evac onto those in an emergency through a pop-open panel in the cab (ala Horizons)?

-Rob
That I can't answer. One would assume so. I can't imagine average guest rappelling up the interior of the shaft.

Soarin' broke down when I was on it. It jolts forward in the air and lowers you down. They fixed the problem and started the ride from the beginning. However, that was due to a faulty seatbelt... I know you didn't ask, but for PPF, they have to call the fire department to get people down. LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom