Epcot Opening Day stories

EpcotMark

Original Poster
Was anyone at Epcot Center on opening day, or even the first month? I worked at Epcot for several years about a decade ago, but I am curious if people have stories from the first few days in 1982. Crowd size, ride issues, merchandise, entertainment, etc.

For example, one thing I heard from a retired director of engineering services, is that on Spaceship Earth, the ride vehicles at the top would not automatically turn around for the trip back to earth. There were Cast Members there that had to manually turn them.

Other stories?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That’s correct. A poor CM has to endure the heat of 180top for several weeks.

The Imageworks exhibits continuously broke each day, and a third shift team spent all night for weeks fixing them each day after closing.

Magic Journeys wasn’t show ready until September 25th

The Imagination rides issues are well documented

THEMEPARKPIONEER

The Imageworks exhibits continuously broke each day, and a third shift team spent all night for weeks fixing them each day after closing.

I can't even imagine how they could turn those

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yup, I seem to remember John Kemp telling me that in his office. Also no recordings of "your vehicle is about to turn backwards" in those days.
And when they did add it, circa 1986, it was before 180top. The planetarium kept its (darker) wonderment.

ppete1975

I think that would scare me... riding the ride all of a sudden some body is like "HI IM BILL" and then does something to my ride vehicle before decsent.... if he yelled BOO I'm pretty sure hed killed people.

EpcotMark

Original Poster
It amazes me that the ride system doesnt tear itself to pieces. The way its built with all the inclines, descents, twists and turns, creating all sorts of forces working against each other.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It amazes me that the ride system doesnt tear itself to pieces. The way its built with all the inclines, descents, twists and turns, creating all sorts of forces working against each other.
It’s actually very well designed (like most of EPCOT Center) - the chain of vehicles is stressed to a design tolerance. The smaller amount of vehicles descending the core is balanced out by the larger amount of vehicles slowly ascending at a shallower angle. However should a vehicle chassis need to be removed, a spacer bar neeeds to be attached across the gap before the chassis can be taken off (by hand) - failing to do so would produce a rubber band effect in the gap.

Like the pavilion as a whole it’s a gorgeous piece of design.

Walt Disney1955

What was the mood of Epcot? I know that Lillian, Diane and Sharon Disney did an interview at Epcot on either opening day or close to it. Was it received well? Did people think it was anything close to what Walt wanted? Conversely, since it is so drastically different than Magic Kingdom how did it do in comparison? I am just thinking of how badly California Adventure did when compared to Disneyland.

EpcotMark

Original Poster
What was the mood of Epcot? I know that Lillian, Diane and Sharon Disney did an interview at Epcot on either opening day or close to it. Was it received well? Did people think it was anything close to what Walt wanted? Conversely, since it is so drastically different than Magic Kingdom how did it do in comparison? I am just thinking of how badly California Adventure did when compared to Disneyland.

I know that Roy E Disney refused to attend the opening of EPCOT Center because he was appalled at the cost. Not sure about the other disney relatives.

The opening of Epcot was October 1 1982. The ceremony from that day is on youtube. However the "Park Dedication" celebration took place a couple weeks later somewhere around October 21 or 24. Does anyone have a video of that? The only thing I know about that ceremony is it took place at the fountain and different waters from different countries around the world were added to the fountain at that event. I would love to see a video of that!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I know that Roy E Disney refused to attend the opening of EPCOT Center because he was appalled at the cost. Not sure about the other disney relatives.

The opening of Epcot was October 1 1982. The ceremony from that day is on youtube. However the "Park Dedication" celebration took place a couple weeks later somewhere around October 21 or 24. Does anyone have a video of that? The only thing I know about that ceremony is it took place at the fountain and different waters from different countries around the world were added to the fountain at that event. I would love to see a video of that!
Opening celebrations lasted into November. Every building had one. Aside from bathrooms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom