Epcot Needs HELP

dlrwdw98

Original Poster
The majority of WDW fans agree that Epcot has declined. I see SO much potential in the park, and Epcot is getting outdated and ignored.
Back in the 80's and early 90's, Epcot (then EPCOT Center) was amazing. It had a World's Fair feel to it. Horizons, the original Figment, World of Motion (I prefer Test Track though), just every attraction was so engaging and creative.
We all need to take action. Start a petition and contact Disney about the state of the park. Epcot needs to be what it used to be: an amazing park that celebrated innovation and world culture.

disney4life2008

EPCOT is a bore. There is only so much of Illuminations I can take: I know many love it on here but it does not have high return value for me like Wishes or Fantasmic does. Honestly, as of late I am only drive to EPCOT if I am craving fish and chips (the main attraction) and everything else is a supplement. I used to enjoy spaceship earth but something is lacking with the attraction (alas, I can only do the ending computer so many times). Mission Space, Test Track, Soarin while great I can do without. Even World Showcase as recent as 4 years ago I could spend the entire day there but with the removal of daytime street entertainment and the increase of drunks I have lost my interest. Hollywood Studios is not too far behind EPCOT but the shows alone is enough to keep me entertained. EPCOT needs a refresh like HS but I suspect this will not happen in the next 10-15 years.

Cmdr_Crimson

The real question they need to figure out is....How do you make a park that celebrated the the 21st Century after it's been official after 16 years......I do hope we get Answers come Oct 1st 2017...Epcot's 35th Anniversary.

Edward M

Looking at this from a CEO (money) standpoint, I see them thinking that putting Frozen and a new Soarin ride in is the solution. Extreme profits from drinks and food as well as increased demand for tickets. It's a win win for them. This means having a higher capacity proven popular attraction with a new film (more demand) as well as an E-Ticket popularity level Frozen ride (which is no gamble since people will flood the gates for it). By putting it in World Showcase, parents can get their food and drink on, and kids can just love Frozen. The issue is that we (the hardcore Disney World fans) are the outliers at this point. The hardcore fans just don't measure up to the money that Disney World receives from tourists, and tourists want Frozen and beer. Just don't expect any new attractions until well after Star Wars Land.

the-reason14

Ya, epcot definitely needs some tlc. A lot of things in WDW need tlc honestly, but epcot glaringly needs tlc. Its overall theme is what hinders it. We now live in the future, and the future isn't as exciting to a 2016 kid as it was to a 1982 kid. Epcot suffers from an identity crisis, and hopefully they can figure out something to do with it soon.

Marc Davis Fan

I think the aesthetics of Future World should be near the top of the priority list. The streamlined, partially-minimalistic original design theory has been mixed together with jarring, out-of-place visual additions (e.g., Mouse Gear, Club Cool), that detract from the holistic effect of the buildings and walkways.

The same aesthetic strategy being carried out on Discovery Island at AK (muting colors and shapes, so as to let the holistic effect take center stage) can be applied to Future World.

copcarguyp71

Petitions won't do anything. People need to speak with their wallets for Disney to notice.
A petition will do nothing. Might as well start a blog to complain about Epcot, it'll have the same impact, which is 0.

We are in our third year of a self imposed five year boycott to see if they can apply themselves to something more than marketing, demographics tracking and timeshare hocking. So far...not impressed but I will say that I have seen an increase over the past year of special offers being sent to me. Perhaps devaluing themselves with special offers is not the way to get return visitors but rather increase the value for vacation dollar for those who have seen what magical wonder can really be as with EPCOT (and WDW) of the past.

TXDisney

I love world showcase and a good amount of the rides at Epcot such as soarin, mission space, test track, spaceship earth and nemo and friends. Pretty much everything else I think can be redone. I do know the universe of energy really can't be removed bc it serves other purposes besides just the ride. But innovations and the imagination areas can use a makeover. It also seems like there's more spots for rides there that aren't used. Epcot is my favorite park, but It's very hard for little kids to enjoy that park as is. If like to see them address that in the future.

SeanWM48

i just think they should add a pavilion. i know it's debated all the time on these boards about which one (i vote Australia) but regardless, just do it, i can't imagine it wouldn't be worth adding a new one to the lineup.

P_Radden

I've said it before and I'll say it again... First, update the 3 films in World Showcase to 4k. Then, I want to see new rides built in the Germany and Japan pavilions. Finally, build a new country pavilion in the large "Africa" expansion pad located between China and Germany, as well as another country located at the large expansion pad between France and Morocco. Each of the new countries would feature some sort of Dark Ride or attractions. The smaller expansion pad between Morocco and Japan could be turned into a beautiful park with lots of shade and fountains.

It would also be cool if they expanded the Italy pavilion to the empty pad between it and Germany and incorporated some sort of ride or attraction in to that pavilion.

With all these changes, World Showcase would be a solid 1 day park in itself.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
The real question they need to figure out is....How do you make a park that celebrated the the 21st Century after it's been official after 16 years......I do hope we get Answers come Oct 1st 2017...Epcot's 35th Anniversary.
I'd be more hopeful for the 40th. Ain't no way anything is going to be done by 17, except for the Arrendelle trash.

Schneewittchen

It all seems like a continuum to me.
MK got new Fantasyland a couple of years ago.
AK is getting Rivers of Light and Avatarland.
HS is getting Star Wars land and Toy Story land.
I presume in a couple of years, a biggish investment will be made in Future World at Epcot. And we can always hope for a new country pavilion.

Glasgow

The main problem now is that we're not talking about a few fixes here and there, it's now in a state where it almost needs a full revamping on the FW side. WoL, UoE and JIYI all need a complete overhaul. M:S is a great, immersive experience but has never had the full enthusiasm of the fan community due to its relatively limited appeal. TT2 is a shell of it's former self IMO (TT1 was a complete story, now it's flashy lights on a good ride - still enjoyable, of course). SSE is still a winner for me but many feel the ending is subpar. Soarin is getting some attention too but only because it's so popular.

At any rate, the overall draw and profitability is still there due to WS and the myriad festivals, which is fine - to each their own. But they seriously need to toss some money towards FW. Even my parents were lamenting the lack of changes and quality and they only go every 10 years or so .. lol. Not good -- We're doing our part by reducing trips from every year to every other year now. Not a big deal for TWDC but its the only way to express your displeasure.

OliveMcFly

Back in the 80's and early 90's, Epcot (then EPCOT Center) was amazing. It had a World's Fair feel to it.
My bf and I were watching 'Tomorrowland' the other night and I said something very similar. It would have been great to go to a World's Fair. I agree, EPCOT did feel that way. I miss the non-character side of the park.

yensid67

In order to properly update Epcot with the future, they will have to figure out what the future will be, where the current technology is headed and marry Imagineering with it to come up with a newly updated future for Epcot. Imagineers would have thought that the future would eventually become the past as it is now in 2016 and you would have thought that they would have planned for it...heck they had more than 20 years to figure out a new 'future' for Epcot's future!
Personally, I would like to see Epcot be updated with the feeling that it had when there was a future. When we lived in the 90's and they were showing us what life would be like after the millennia, we got excited at the possibilities. Now that we have those possibilities at our figure tips, we are craving even more possibilities for our new future. One of the new possibilities is Space Flight on a commercial level, Social media has taken center stage...maybe one of the big names in Social interaction can sponsor a pavilion that deal with the future of social media and its future!? There are so many possibilities for the new future, there just needs to be direction and money available...and a willingness to make the changes in a timely fashion...not 5 years for 1 attraction!

Retroman40

I completely agree with the OP. Epcot has so much potential I could go on and on. Epcot was my first Disney love after my first visit in 1988. I STILL love the place and hope it gets the much needed love it needs.

POLY LOVER

The problem is they seem to have no ongoing process improvement Anymore. You can't let all the parks get old and dated at the same time then try and do a catch up at the same time. History tells us that you fight a war on too many fronts you lose in the end. The improvements have to be ongoing to keep things fresh. These parks make millions and deserve consistent upgrading. This is not the way it was in the past. I love Epcot and its theme crys out to be futuristic and a wow factor when you visit. When you walk in you should be dazzled by technology. Because of what they have done it will leave
Epcot as the last renovation. Be careful, universal is knocking on disney's door.

Last edited:

KDM31091

Epcot, notably Future World, is in a sad state. Energy is 20 years old and dated. Wonders of Life is an event pavilion. Innoventions is basically shuttered, huge wasted space. Even though I'm glad about the 2nd floor of Imagination sort of "reopening", it's still not really an attraction, just going to be another lounge.

I think keeping up with the future is difficult and expensive with attractions, so I get why things have stagnated. The problem is that so much of it needs to be updated now that it's going to be an uphill battle.

Also, kind of a side note, but on my trip in October, Future World kept closing at 7pm most nights, which is relatively ridiculous when it's the front half of the park. I also noticed the lighting was pretty poor, almost like walking through the dark to get to World Showcase and back. I can see closing a few attractions early, but the entire front half of the park is a little ridiculous. This is a budget cut that needs to be rolled back. Not sure if it was just specific to the time I was there or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom