Epcot is an Island? Who Knew?

Walt Disney1955

I never knew about the moat around the outer part. But I don't think I'd classify it as an island. That was all man made. Even Magic Kingdom is a man made island and much more of an island as well. Epcot just looks like it has a creek going around part of it

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I never knew about the moat around the outer part. But I don't think I'd classify it as an island. That was all man made. Even Magic Kingdom is a man made island and much more of an island as well. Epcot just looks like it has a creek going around part of it

Well, not really.

Perhaps you could consider the hub an island, but certainly not all of the Magic Kingdom.

It's drainage ditches never rejoin each other.

menamechris

Well, the Magic Kingdom was designed to "look" like an island from the TTC. It's a pretty amazing accomplishment given when it was constructed

Rinx

Looking at those pictures, I never realized just how much land and trees they had to clear for the Y & B Clubs and Boardwalk.

freediverdude

The area where the Boardwalk is now used to be swampland. I remember staying at the Beach Club shortly after it opened, and one of the CMs told me that they were going to build a hotel "over there" (pointing to where the Boardwalk is now). It was just plants sticking up out of marshy area. I remember asking him how could they build a hotel there, it's just swamp!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Looking at those pictures, I never realized just how much land and trees they had to clear for the Y & B Clubs and Boardwalk.

Originally, that area and much more was to have become "Disney Center"

But the Epcot resorts took over. Even so, between 1986 and 1992 the whole area was one huge phased development area, from the Buena Vista Drive extension and Bonnet Creek Parkway, to the DMGM studios, CBR, Y&B complex, crescent lake, Swan and Dolphin.... The skyline was full of cranes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom