EPCOT Entertainment cuts

dreamfinder

I never found Mo Rockin' to be appropriate for that park... Follow me...

They don't do any Christmas stuff in Morocco, since they don't celebrate Christmas. O.k. Staying true to the country...

They don't light up Morocco in Illuminations due to religious beliefs.... ok, fair enough

But they have a band playing pop music in Moroccan style. Seems inconsistent to me.

Believe it or not, musical influences go world around. I'm fairly certain we could find a Moroccan country music act if we looked. I know that heavy metal has quite an underground following in some Islamic countries where concert goers can be arrested for going to their shows. I know I have ska/punk and goodness knows what else styles of music in my collection in 20-30 different languages. So finding an act in Morocco, I mean of native born Moroccans performing songs in Arabic or French, in a style that we westerners would consider to be pop music wouldn't surprise me at all.

What I don't understand is people are already judging the quality of the new acts without even seeing them. If it's rubbish then complain but at least give ti a chance.

Not judging the new acts, in so much as the way they cleaned house all at once. Rotate an act through each quarter, no problem with that. Removes the staleness, keeps stuff fresh, etc.

What confuses me is that changing these acts can't really amount to a substantial cost savings. If the changes resulted in an annual savings of $1,000,000 I would be shocked. $200,000 would be surprising.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics here -> http://www.bls.gov/ro7/ro7ecec.htm
In the South, wages and salaries averaged $19.20 per hour and comprised 71.3 percent of total employer compensation, while total benefits, at $7.73 per hour, accounted for the remaining 28.7 percent.
So while I doubt all of these guys were getting $20 an hour, other stats put total benefits for an employee for a year at around $10,000. Assuming full time employees, 6 for Mo Rockin, 5 for Off Kilter, 5 for Spirit of America, and 3 for World Showcase Players (may be more, no idea about subs, etc) we are at 19 employees. So running with the $10,000 cost for benefits, that's $190,000 in benefit costs alone. Simply by shifting acts to 3rd party or independent contracts, that's almost that $200,000 figure you were talking about. Do the number of needed techs reduce? (Might be a wash here, not sure if Celtic folk and Berber troup we be mic'ed or not) Would an independent contractor be expected to provide their own costumes? More savings if WDW no longer has to provide and maintain. No idea what union acts get paid per hour, but especially with a long running group, if they can cut hourly wage from $20 down to $15, that's another savings of $10,000 per employee per year. So sticking with our $20 per hour and 8 hours per day, those 4 shows "cost" $3,040 in wages daily. Could WDW get 4 groups of ethnic performers for under $2,500 daily? I'd say yes. I don't see a huge market for steady wages for Italian flag groups and Canadian lumberjacks in central FL. That's another almost $200,000 yearly, so $400,000 just in benefits and wages potentially.

While I hate employers who try to save costs by running out long time employees and bringing in lower wage new hires, but that $400,000 could potentially go a long way. Taking the posted face character rate of $12.85 on the auditions site, and the approx CP pay of $8ish, we can average character pay to be around $10/hr. (May be higher or lower, but it makes the example math easier) Say we look at one Character Spot room. Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, handlers and CM at FP merge, thats what, 10 at a time counting breaks? 12 hours a day, 356 days a year, approx $438,000 ($10x10x12x365) to staff that. Bam, just paid for CP to staff half the M&G for a whole year. Some exec gets a bonus...... Admittedly some days it's open for more than 12 hours, CMs may easily get more than that $10 per hour (I hope) but it adds up fast to a sharpened pencil in the accounting office.

(Not supporting cuts, just showing how to an MBA in a Mens Warehouse suit it can look pretty good)

216bruce

bobanddoug.jpg

Canada stereotype.

DisUniversal

Believe it or not, musical influences go world around. I'm fairly certain we could find a Moroccan country music act if we looked. I know that heavy metal has quite an underground following in some Islamic countries where concert goers can be arrested for going to their shows. I know I have ska/punk and goodness knows what else styles of music in my collection in 20-30 different languages. So finding an act in Morocco, I mean of native born Moroccans performing songs in Arabic or French, in a style that we westerners would consider to be pop music wouldn't surprise me at all.

Not judging the new acts, in so much as the way they cleaned house all at once. Rotate an act through each quarter, no problem with that. Removes the staleness, keeps stuff fresh, etc.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics here -> http://www.bls.gov/ro7/ro7ecec.htm

So while I doubt all of these guys were getting $20 an hour, other stats put total benefits for an employee for a year at around $10,000. Assuming full time employees, 6 for Mo Rockin, 5 for Off Kilter, 5 for Spirit of America, and 3 for World Showcase Players (may be more, no idea about subs, etc) we are at 19 employees. So running with the $10,000 cost for benefits, that's $190,000 in benefit costs alone. Simply by shifting acts to 3rd party or independent contracts, that's almost that $200,000 figure you were talking about. Do the number of needed techs reduce? (Might be a wash here, not sure if Celtic folk and Berber troup we be mic'ed or not) Would an independent contractor be expected to provide their own costumes? More savings if WDW no longer has to provide and maintain. No idea what union acts get paid per hour, but especially with a long running group, if they can cut hourly wage from $20 down to $15, that's another savings of $10,000 per employee per year. So sticking with our $20 per hour and 8 hours per day, those 4 shows "cost" $3,040 in wages daily. Could WDW get 4 groups of ethnic performers for under $2,500 daily? I'd say yes. I don't see a huge market for steady wages for Italian flag groups and Canadian lumberjacks in central FL. That's another almost $200,000 yearly, so $400,000 just in benefits and wages potentially.

While I hate employers who try to save costs by running out long time employees and bringing in lower wage new hires, but that $400,000 could potentially go a long way. Taking the posted face character rate of $12.85 on the auditions site, and the approx CP pay of $8ish, we can average character pay to be around $10/hr. (May be higher or lower, but it makes the example math easier) Say we look at one Character Spot room. Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, handlers and CM at FP merge, thats what, 10 at a time counting breaks? 12 hours a day, 356 days a year, approx $438,000 ($10x10x12x365) to staff that. Bam, just paid for CP to staff half the M&G for a whole year. Some exec gets a bonus...... Admittedly some days it's open for more than 12 hours, CMs may easily get more than that $10 per hour (I hope) but it adds up fast to a sharpened pencil in the accounting office.

(Not supporting cuts, just showing how to an MBA in a Mens Warehouse suit it can look pretty good)
...and if just 3 or 4 thousand guests per year out of the 11.3 million that visited Epcot last year, decide not to go because of the cuts, they've lost their entire $400K in savings. That's just a decline of less than 3 1/100ths of 1 percent before they've screwed themselves. This is the part of the equation I think the bean counters no longer consider.

Fractal514

...and if just 3 or 4 thousand guests per year out of the 11.3 million that visited Epcot last year, decide not to go because of the cuts, they've lost their entire $400K in savings. That's just a decline of less than 3 1/100ths of 1 percent before they've screwed themselves. This is the part of the equation I think the bean counters no longer consider.

They do not consider it because it does not exist. I feel very confident in saying that the number of folks who will stop going to Epcot because of the acts departing is equal or less than the number of folks who will visit to see the new acts and mostly amounts to friends, family, and die-hard friends of the acts themselves and NOT the random/average park goer. Honestly, the folks in this thread are likely the most angered over this change (who aren't directly affected) and how many people here are planning to cancel a trip because of it? Not just willing to say they are in a forum thread, but actually going to cancel?

216bruce

Those of us on this forum seem to always forget that we are a tiny, tiny minority. Most of the folks, a vast, vast majority, won't notice nor care about the entertainment changes. It's this way really with just about most of the stuff we wail and moan about- hub redesign, entertainment cuts, refillable mugs, store closures etc. They only notice the big stuff- new attractions and lands. I love our passion for all of this but 99% don't notice, care.

71jason

I know both Off Kilter and Mo'Rockin' both have albums available for purchase at amazon, so if you folks really want to show your support for them, buy them.

Already have. And I suspect Off-Kilter will still exist in some form, just not with as regular appearances.

If they were closing down Haunted Mansion, would your advice be to go buy up all the HM pins and bric-a-brac? Because it seems like you're missing the larger points here.

Fractal514

Already have. And I suspect Off-Kilter will still exist in some form, just not with as regular appearances.

If they were closing down Haunted Mansion, would your advice be to go buy up all the HM pins and bric-a-brac? Because it seems like you're missing the larger points here.

If you are equating Off-Kilter with the Haunted Mansion, I would argue that you are missing a larger point. The two are NOT comparable in any sense. I understand what you are saying, but you're taken your point to an extreme place that it implodes on itself. In fact, I would argue that comparing the two really puts how insignificant a show like Off-Kilter really is in the grand scheme of a theme park. No one (or at least an amount of folks so small as to be insignificant) goes to Epcot just for Off-Kilter. They have been performing in Epcot since 1997, I'd say that's a damn good run and I'm shocked they've lasted this long, not because they aren't good, but because I DO think that refreshing and changing out the performance acts is the easiest and cheapest way they can contribute to keeping Epcot feeling fresh.

wdwtopten

Have they announced when the new acts are going to begin? I see that there are firm dates for when the old acts will stop, but I've yet to see any information regarding when the new acts begin...

Wags14

Bummer, terrible news. My wife and I really enjoyed Off Kilter while sipping a cold "beverage", and my kids always seemed to stop dead in their tracks and marvel at Spirit of America. Opened up some great history discussions too.

But business is business. Member Dreamfinder put it best, DIS is saving some cash and can now promote brand new acts for their once in a lifetime tourists. It seems like after all that's who they are catering for anyways. :(

lobelia

Most lumberjack shows include log rolling, cutting a log with an axe on a log they are standing on, climbing a pole and cutting the top with an axe, throwing an axe, sawing through a log with a long saw but very little chainsaw action. It is usually in the form of a contest. I can't see it offered at night. They will need some sort of pool for the log rolling. There are traveling lumberjack shows that set up a pool for this where ever they go. I guess I never thought of it as Canadian culture. There are international contestants. It's fun to watch but it doesn't feel cultural to me. There is a weekend long festival about 20 minutes from where I live in Ohio.

DisUniversal

Well yeah, do you know what those pins would be worth on eBay a year later?!? Wish I had bought one (or two) of the Maelstrom tshirts they offered for sale earlier this month. :)

Haymarket2008

This is good news to me. Apart from the Fife & Drum, everything else makes sense. These people have been playing here for YEARS. Time to switch it out. We don't want a tired act. And it's not like they are replacing it with nothing. Although the Lumberjack show sounds pretty awful.

DisUniversal

Have they announced when the new acts are going to begin? I see that there are firm dates for when the old acts will stop, but I've yet to see any information regarding when the new acts begin...
According to an official response from Disney, after the existing acts close, "New experiences are planned to make their debut in the following months. We’ll feature each new group on Disney Parks Blog as they open." So, based on how fast 7DMT was built, how well the parking garages are coming along and the blinding speed at which Avatarland is being constructed, I'd say the new acts should begin sometime in the next year or two.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom