Trip Report englanddg's Surf and Turf Experience

Salutations!

What's a Surf and Turf? Well, stick around, you are about to find out!

So, the trip has finally started! This first leg of the trip consists of a flight from Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Airport to Reagan National Airport in Washington, DC. Here, I will meet up with the kid and her mom, and we'll crash for the night at the Ritz-Carlton Pentagon City, two stops on the Metro (DC's Subway System) from Reagan National.

But, I get ahead of myself. Let me introduce ourselves for those who don't know about me, and / or didn't follow along with the Pre-Trip report!

I'm englanddg. <waves hello>

9413287751_53d06c6c12_o.jpg

And this is my 8 year old daughter, Kaylee (a.k.a. KK, "the Kid" or "Kiddo").

9413288251_6dbf936437_o.jpg

As you can see, we both like T. Rowe Price Piggies!

Oh, you want to know my age? Well, lets just say I'm old enough...<grin>

So, some history...well...we have been going annually to Disneyworld since 2010, and each trip has been different and more fun than the last.

2010 - First Trip as a Parent
This first year we stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort for 14 days. I had been many times before (my Grandparents lived near Ocala, and I had a Florida Residents Annual Pass), but that was my first trip taking the kid, and as a parent.

Here's a picture of what happens when you don't finish your Turkey Leg.

9420172686_9f0ca3b2c9_o.jpg

9420174978_48abbdf429_o.jpg

And, of course...before my Kid turned to the DARK SIDE (keep going, intrepid readers, the answer awaits!)

9417408181_d3129f8632_o.jpg

Oh, and here's one of my videos commemorating that trip:

Yes, that's right, I'm one of those people who likes to make funky you tube videos about my trips. Some people trip report, some people organize photos and make scrapbooks...I edit videos!

2011 - Kid, Mom and Uncle!
In 2011, I took the kid on a tour of DC for a few days. We did the Smithsonian, the tour of the Capital Building, and a bunch of other things. Then, we flew back to Atlanta for a few weeks, and then on to Orlando for another 14 days at Caribbean Beach Resort.

I had told her we were "meeting Mommy", which technically wasn't false. This trip was special because her Mom and then 10 year old Uncle joined us halfway through. But, the kid had no idea we were going to WDW, and even less idea that's where Mommy was going to meet us!

We surprised my daughter by meeting up secretly at the Castle right before Wishes. The kiddo had no clue, and freaked out. Of course, I got it on video...and...it came out terrible! The lights had already shut off for the show, so you couldn't see anything.

This is her Uncle, though he will not be joining us this trip, just thought I'd give him a little shout out.

9416063366_e1a4b13364_o.jpg

Here's a bonus picture of Darth Kiddo (her Mom is in the background). SEE, I TOLD YOU SHE TURNED TO THE DARK SIDE!

9417248115_895cf48aa9_o.jpg

And, of course...I made a video for this trip!

2012 - Dancing around the Disney World
The kiddo stayed with me the whole summer last year, and we started it with a blast, going to see the Cirque de Soleis Immortal Tour in Atlanta.

Here she got her Michael Jackson hat...one of her most treasured posessions (I kid you not).

7483256118_900936d35a_o.jpg

We stayed late and watched them strike the show, which, considering I used to do stagework, was fun to watch. That's what is going on behind her.

So, for that years trip to "The World", we decided to do something different. So, we did 3 days at Universal Studios, staying at the Royal Pacific. We also did 11 days at Disney, staying at Pop Century. It was also the first trip I told her in advance we were going (this year I did not, having learned my lesson!)

Oh, and that was also the first trip I wrote a complete trip report for, live, while I was there...which is what I will endeavor to do again this trip.

You can read it here.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/englanddgs-magical-mystery-tour.847588/

Also, there is a reason that it was called the "Dancing" trip...because...well...we DANCED!

That trip was loads of fun. I tried to be good, I really did...but, well, if anyone has ever thought that the marketing on the Magical Express ride back to Orlando Airport didn't work, think again!

I decided this coming year, we'd change it up even more. We'd do a DISNEY CRUISE!

A few weeks later, I had us booked in a Veranda Room on the Disney Fantasy, sailing out in a year. I also booked a split stay at WDW, for various reasons which I will get into in a moment.

And so, friends...that brings us to today, read on. <continued next post!>

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Metrics and other items updated on Day 2 Part 4 (I've been calling it Day 1 the past few posts...derpy derp)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Ok, so here's how I'm going to do the picture updates for those days where I have more than 20 pics.

I'm going to edit the original post and include a link to a new post...

So, that being said, here comes Day 3 Part 1 with pics!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Day 3 - Here Comes the Surf! (Part 1)

Magic - 2 (CM at the Port, Seeing the Fantasy)
Peeves - 1 (My kid...pretending she is Houdini and disappearing!)
Breakfast - Too much to List, buffet (me and kid)
Lunch - None
Dinner - Steak Sandwich, Fries (me), Chicken Tenders, Fries (kid)
Snacks - In room Coffee at Contemporary, Sailing Away Drink (me), Fanta (kid)
Dining Credits - 2 TS - 2 TS = 0, 2 snack credits left (I forgot to use them!) $127 needed to break even, used $181.63 - Deluxe Dining was a Deal for this leg!
Steps - 9,620 steps / 4.67 mi / 2,843 cal

Waking up was easier today. The bed at Contemporary was extremely comfortable, and we both slept well. A bit too well, in the kids case, because she didn't want to get out of bed! Even using the Disney Channel to try to spark her interest while I showered and changed didn't work, so I had to get a bit forceful and be the Wake Up Monster (yeah, ok, I don't really call it that, but...you know the role...I had to pester her and eventually force her to stand up before the sleep finally started to leave her eyes.

What a view to wake up to!

Normally I'd let her sleep in, but not today. First, we had breakfast scheduled at 8:45 at Chef Mickeys. Second, we had a very important bus to catch at 11:15. When we had gotten back to the room last night, a note was left on my bed that informed us that the Disney Cruise Line bus would be departing at 11:15, and we were to show up 15 minutes early for check-in. Works for me!

While she got ready, I snapped some last minute photos from the balcony. It occured to me that it was a bit of unintended irony that...when you look down the sides of the Contemporary, it sortof looks like the side of a Cruise Ship!

So, after a quick shower for the kid (she wanted to take a bath, but that is a bad idea when we are in a hurry), we were both refreshed and dressed and heading towards Chef Mickeys. Neither one of us have eaten here before, so it was nice to try something new. Many people rave about the restaurant, and with one minor exception (which I will get into in a moment) I can see why!

I've done quite a few buffet breakfasts and never really been impressed. 1900 Park Fare was the last one I did (last trip) and I vowed I would not be returning there again. I won't get into all the reasons why here, but if you are curious you can find it in my trip report from last year. Lets just say I was...not impressed in the slightest.

So, my only gripe? Well, when we showed up we had to wait in line. It took 20 minutes to be seated. There was another family next to us (who also ended up being seated next to us in the restaurant) who were obviously upset about it. We started chatting and it seems they had a 9:35 reservation. I made the comment that it makes me wonder if it's even worth making Dining Reservations for it, since it seems they were just seating everyone regardless of reservation status. They chuckled at that, but agreed.

After being processed we were directed to take a picture with Mickey...er...a statue of Mickey.

And then directed to wait some more. During this time the call from Mickey that I had scheduled at 9a to inform the kid about the Cruise came in. But, since they were doing the character show, the kid couldn't hear it. So, that was a bust.

We were seated by a nice CM who commented on the kid's braids (that happens...a lot. She actually doesn't like it when people mention it, but I don't think much of it when people compliment her on them).

Chef Mickeys, I am pleased to say, was excellent! The only food complaints I have are the same as any other Disney breakfast...the eggs were bland and the bacon was cardboard. But, otherwise, it was fantastic. I loved that they had fresh lox and capers (one of my favorites). The sawmill gravy on a biscuit with sausage chunks was also tasty. I couldn't stop shoveling that goodness into my mouth.

Likewise, the kid adored it as well, and ended up eating 2 plates (not bad for an 8 year old!). I was surprised she skipped the Mickey Waffle, since that was all she had been talking about on the elevator ride down to the 4th Floor, but <shrug> Whatever makes her happy.

We saw only part of the show they put on there (the characters dance and sing). We did see a later show for two birthday kids (one who was next to us and kept blowing out her candle everytime her hostess would light it, which was hilarious and cute at the same time), and that was neat. All the characteres were great, but Goofy was the most playful (Go GOOFY!...he's my favorite!)

Speaking of which, it was coming up on 9:15. The previous night I had scheduled a backup call from Goofy for DCL, just to be sure she got it, since this was how I planned to reveal the plans to her. This time I put the phone off speaker so she could hear. Lets just say it wasn't the reaction I expected. She just calmly put the phone down afterwards and said, "Goofy says he's going on a Cruise."

<facepalms>

So, I had to explain what was going on, and she started to get excited now. I had forgotten her autograph book in the room, so I set up the iPad for her to watch a youtube video about the Disney Fantasy while I ran upstairs to grab it.

When I came back, where we were going had sunk in, and she was ready to leave. "Lets go, right now, I'm not hungry!" I laughed, and outlined the rest of our trip for her, being sure to mention that we were coming back to Disneyworld, and I'd make good on my promise that we would get Stitch's autograph. This calmed her down a bit, but I could tell she was no longer interested in food very much.

So, as an aside, I want to mention the artwork in the restaurant. Take some time to notice it next time you go. Even the kid (who normally isn't into that sort of thing) noted it, and took a picture of the Pluto painting (Pluto is her favorite character).

(I think she needs to work on framing the shot...but then again, I'm not a great photographer either...so... :p)

When time came to pay our hostess was excited we were using the Magicbands. She whipped out the portable device I've gotten used to seeing and scurried off to two neighboring tables who appearantly had asked how Magicbands work so they could watch me pay with it.

This was a recurring experience the past day and a half. Numerous times on the parks I had guests ask "What is that?" and "How do I get one?". Regardless of your feelings on the technology, I think Disney has a winner with the system, and overall Guests are going to enjoy it. Heck, I know I did, and I went in skeptical...quite literally trying to find everything wrong with the system that I could. After having used it, I can say the only part I don't like is the inconsistant nature of the website. If the website was solid, I really wouldn't have any gripes.

However, there is one thing to note that I forgot to put in yesterday's rather long report (see, it was so long, and I STILL left stuff out!)... When I first read about the bands, I thought to myself, "No way will my kid keep that on her wrist all day." Well, I was right. Though, it did last from around 10a when we checked into Magical Express until around 3p before she finally complained that it "makes my wrist hot" and wanted to take it off. Later in the day (when we started doing FP+ rides again) she wanted to put it back on and wore it all day.

Today, however, she didn't want to wear it at all. So, if you have kids, be aware that they probably are not going to want to wear the bands all day. Every kid is different of course, but I just don't see younger children getting a kick out of the band for long (just like lanyards...they love to wear them for a few hours, and then it's off to Mommy's purse or Daddy's backpack for the rest of the trip!).

I, on the other hand, adjusted to it rather quickly, and before I knew it, I actually enjoyed wearing it.

Moving on, we paid, and had some time to burn before our meetup with the DCL bus. So, we went over to the Arcade and I set the kid up with $10 in credits while I stepped outside for a moment to do a final check in with the office while I still had decent internet to do anything they may need. I also contacted the other IT guy who works with me there and asked him to order me a new iPhone 5 and have my number assigned to it and shipped to Port Orleans French Quarter.

Oh, heh, something else I left out of the experience yesterday...I broke my iPhone! During our little "Wishes Dessert Party" I had brought out a plate with some of the desserts on it for us to nibble on, and the iPhone was under the lip of the plate sitting on the little end-table/footstand on the balcony.

As we grabbed for our goodies, the plate shifted, and my phone fell off the edge and SPLAT, face down on the tile floor. The screen shattered. It's still functional and largely usable (some typing is difficult on it), but I really need a new one if I'm going to work remotely. And, I have a feeling once I get back on shore, I will have a short list of things to catch up on the first weekend.

So, one final check of the room, and one final longing glance and a few pictures from the balcony, and we were off. We made sure to stop by the Atrium Lobby to pick up some free sodas for the trip / boat! I had wanted to snag a few snacks as well, but they didn't have any out at the moment. Oh well!

The DCL bus check-in is in the Main Lobby on the first floor, near the coffee shop on the right hand side. There were a few guests ahead of us and a rather flustered looking elderly lady with a clipboard. The area is not well marked. I think in they could set up a permanent kiosk area over there, and when not checking in they can put out promotional materials for cruises...but that's just my thoughts on it.

Anyhow, I'm not sure why she appeared so overwhelmed, but I hadn't realized she'd just dealt with a group ahead of us. I soon found out why...

Disney Research was out in force with their mobile toughbook laptops all set up. When they saw my band on my wrist, I was immediately approached to complete a survey.

The survey was not short, but I did my best to answer every question as accurately as possible. One thing I didn't like was that some of the questions were rather...difficult to answer well. As they wanted a simple grading metric (1 - 5 scale, basically), and there were some questions that I would love to have answered more accurately. Specifically when it came to grading the website / app (which they often lumped together, which isn't fair. The website has a ton of issues, the app, not so much).

So, while I was filling this out (which made me lose my place in line for check-in, which I wasn't too happy about), a whole gaggle of guests who decided to show up at the last minute for the DCL bus arrived, and were clamoring all over this poor woman with the clipboard to get checked in! See, I told you I'd soon find out!

Since I had been filling out the survey, I had to go track her down to get checked in, but it was painless...they looked up my name on the list and scratched it off. They did ask me, in a way that made me quite nervous, if I had checked bags in that morning.

Oh, I forgot to mention that as well. The DCL transfer includes luggage tags. These tags work from MCO to DCL or from the resorts to DCL. In the letter I got the night before, they asked that if we wished to check any bags, we tag them and place them in the entryway of the room. Bell Services would be coming around 8a to pick them up, which they did that morning (sorry for seeing me in a towel, Bell Services lady, I know that image will require years of therapy)...

Anyhow, I probably wouldn't feel anxious about that query of theirs had I not already experienced lost luggage on this trip. So, I probably am just hyper-sensitive to it right now, and nothing should have been read into it. But, it did make me nervous!

They put us into a haphazard line (more like a clump, really) and walked us out to the buses, which were loading outside of the Convention Center.

Everyone seemed in pretty high spirits (including myself and the kid). The family behind us had noticed my highly stylish pink and black zebra striped suitcase, and this sparked a conversation. By stylish, I mean if you are a cast member of Jersey Shore. I...hate that suitcase.

Here's the back-story. Last year her Mom sent the kiddo to visit toting a cheaply made pink and black zebra striped suitcase. I can overlook the garish nature of the bag (makes it easy for baggage claim, that's for sure)...but the bag has one major flaw. The wheels are too close together. This means, any time you hit a bump or if you walk too fast, the bag likes to fishtail out of control and flip over.

So, last year, after having struggled with the bag, I took the kid shopping and I got her a nice well-made bag that will last her for years. This is the bag I sent her back with last year, and the bag she brought with her this year.

The Zebra Demon Bag stayed in her closet at my house. This year, I thought I'd bring it with me and we could use it for souvenir packing. I also have ended up using it as our carry-on. That bag garners a lot of attention, and quite a few giggles. Comments were made about it when I was checking in at Port Canaveral as well. Hrm, maybe it's not so bad after all. Great ice breaker!

So, we boarded the bus and snagged a seat with a nice view of one of the TVs. They played various videos, trivia games, and a "guess the character" game on the video, which was neat. The kid spent most of the ride playing a game on the iPad, though she'd pause it and watch every cartoon that played.

It takes a lot of hard work to look that good! <grin>

Anyhow, the ride was a very short feeling 1 hour 15 minutes. We came around a corner and I her...the Fantasy, off in the distance. I think I was the first on the bus to see it (or at least the first to say something out loud), because when I pointed and started telling the kid to look, the rest of the bus followed suit.

It was a wonderful sight. After a year of planning and thinking about it, to see her in person is quite a treat.

We pulled into the Port and shot a dancing video. Then off through security. I was a bit worried that my Multitool wouldn't be allowed through, and I was fine with checking it at Port and picking it up upon return. They called over a supervisor, who examined the multitool and ok'd it. Awesome! I bring it with me every year because it's useful to open up packages and the like.

Up the escalator and there we were. A huge blue room with waves on the ceiling (neat effect). A huge model was in the middle of the floor, and Mickey was out taking pictures in front of it. I thought was the Fantasy at first, but it's not. It's either the Magic or the Wonder, I don't recall which. We got into line for the "non-Castaway Club" members, along with the rest of the first timers, and were given the Health Questionnaire to fill out as we waited.

As I was doing this, the kid decided to pull a disappearing act. See, like a moth to a flame, she was attracted to the large TVs on the other side of the room that were playing Disney Cartoons. I turned around and had a moment of panic. I pulled our luggage out of the line (which suddenly doubled in length) and started walking the concourse looking for her. I have to say, I was getting very close to a near panic, as I couldn't find her anywhere!

I wasn't terribly concerned, as we were in a secured area...but, I couldn't help being worried. Sorry, I'm a Daddy. After a frantic search, I found her...happily watching TV in one of the waiting areas. She swears she told me she was going to go watch, but I swear she didn't. She may have mentioned it to my leg or my back, but she certainly didn't mention it to my ears or my brain!

After a lecture, we went back to the line. By now the line had gotten much longer, and I was debating how to politely re-insert myself into it. The CM working that queue area noticed my plight and came over and said we could get into the much shorter Castaway Club line (which, unlike my line, wasn't wrapped outside of the switchbacks and down the hall!).

Thank you CM, that made my day (well, it was one of the things that did).

<Continued Next Post>

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Day 3 - Here Comes the Surf! (Part 2)

The kid noticed some penny machines, and this time she did ask my permission properly. So, I gave her some quarters and pennies and told her to come back after every penny to check on me. This, she did. In fact...she came back a bit too often, each time asking for more quarters and pennies. On the third return, I asked her why. I had given her enough for the obviously 3 machines that were over there. "I am getting pennies for my new friends, they don't have any coins."

How could I be mad about that? So, I gave her quite the handful, and I'm sure there are kids on the boat right now with a penny gifted from her during our wait.

Check in was painless (which was my final concern about this trip). So, with great releaf, we made our way over to the Kids Club Registration area to get my kid all set up for that. They give out a neat little band to the kids (would rather it be a Magicband, but <shrug>). This identify's them, is waterproof and shockproof, and also (at least in my experience) not removable without cutting it off!

The kid complained about it a little, but I think the previous day of wearing the band, she's becoming more accustomed to wearing something on her wrist.

We took a picture in front of the ears and snagged a navigator. After having our room keys scanned at the "check-in", we had our picture taken by a photographer (not sure what that's about...maybe identification purposes? Like a "ship logs" of passengers in case something happens?). Then it was off to the gangplank. The kid was practically running at full speed now.

We were announced on board (something that isn't nearly as glamourous as it looks on youtube when you are toting 3 bags and have an excited kid unrestrained!) and I stopped for a moment next to the Minnie Statue to snap some pictures and soak the whole thing in.

The Grand Atrium is just that. Grand. Pictures do not do it justice. It is smaller than I expected, but far more ornate than I expected as well.

The chandelier is obviously the oft touted centerpiece, with it's glittering pastels and peacock theme, and it deserves it. This certainly is Minnie's boat!

The kid wanted to go up the grand staircase, but that wouldn't get us very far, so I redirected us to the elevators.

Now, I don't know how I found our room so easily. Later I found myself lost on the ship several times (I'll elaborate more on that in the future)...but, we quite literally walked straight to our room. You would think we were veterans of the ship!

Along the way I saw decorated doors and fish extenders and smiled to myself. I bet quite a few of these people are forum members of one forum or another.

Once in the room, it took a good 10 minutes for us to figure out how everything worked. I was already aware, due to reading other's trip reports, that the room had a keycard slot to activate the electricity. I used one of our KTTW cards from Contemporary, which is still sitting in the slot now. While I understand the need to conserve electricity on the boat, and I don't mind that the electric shuts off when we aren't in the room, I do wish they'd have at least one outlet that is "always on" for charging purposes.

So, I sidestepped the system and put a card in the slot that will stay there throughout the trip.

We unpacked and explored the room. It is an exercise in efficiency. So, lets take a tour, shall we?

First, I love the decore. It's simple, yet comfortable and classic. It feels luxurious without feeling overly so.

There are two closets just inside the door (his and hers, I assume).

Two bathrooms are opposite the closets. While both have sinks, one has the toilet, and the other houses the shower/bath.

I had assumed that there would only be a shower in the room, but I was wrong. They managed to squeeze in a small bathtub as well. Neat! Especially for a Cruise Line focused on families.

I claimed the bathroom with the toilet for my grooming needs, and the kid unpacked her toiletries into the other one.

We then claimed drawers. The kid chose the ones near where her bunk were going to be, under the desk. I chose the ones under the small "bar" area.

The room has a small couch which, while it doesn't pull out, could sleep someone if required. There's a small desk area as well, with not enough plugs. Be sure to bring a power strip. This year I skipped the strip (ok, I forgot it) and packed a plug multiplier instead.

The issue with this is that...on the Fantasy, none of the plugs are standard US layout. They are multinational...so the multiplier won't fit / work.

Oh well...

So, wanna talk storage? This room is chock full of nooks and crannies. The coffee table / footstand opens up for storage (this has become the kid's toybox). The bed is high and has plenty of space underneath for suitcases to easily fit down there.

The storage in the bathroom is deceptive...as there is a lot more shelf space than there appears to be at first. While I couldn't picture a family of four doing well in a room like this alone (it would be rather cramped), I could easily picture a family of three doing quite well here. For the two of us, it's perfect!

There is also a heavy curtain that can be drawn down the middle of the room to give privacy between the bunk / lounge / office area and the "master bedroom" area. Nice touch! And, this curtain is heavy. When you draw it, the front part of the room goes completely black!

So, on to the gem of the room. The balcony!

It is MUCH larger than I expected it would be. This is mostly due to the fact we are on the sloped back of the boat...so there's extra space to be had due to the overall design of the upper hull. On the deck are two chairs, two lounge chairs, and a small end table.

The door took a bit to figure out, as there is a two lock process. One lock (a round ) is on the upper left of the door, and is a bolt style lock that secures the door shut. The other is controlled by the handle. When the handle is facing down, and the restraining lock mentioned before is open, the door is able to be slid open. When the handle is down, the door is sealed to the door frame, and can't be opened.

So, unpacking and settling done, we had to get ready for muster drill. Or, as the kid calls it, the mustard drill. "Did you bring your Grey Poupon?" "No sir, I only brought English!" (her joke, not mine).

Muster was uneventful, and frankly, well done. The instructions given by the Cruise Director were clear, and the diagram on the back of the stateroom door helped a lot. When we got down there, the "Muster Leader" (not sure of the official title) was on a megaphone, and at first I thought this was going to be a situation where she preached to one part of the group, and we'd not be able to hear anything. But, I was wrong. She walked down the lines of people asking "could you all hear me" until she found someone who answered no, and then repeated her message. No one in line could honestly say they couldn't hear her! Very clever.

One thing that did bother me, since I'm a "follow orders" sort when it comes to things like this, is how many people did not take it seriously at all. Families were not following instructions, the family to my right seemed to think this was all part of the Deck Party! They were chatting and drinking and generally making it difficult for those around them to understand or pay attention to the life saving information being communicated.

Shame.

So, "mustard" over, we headed up to the Sailing Away party, after a short stop by the Stateroom to check if our luggage was there (it wasn't) and to change the kid into her swimsuit. We arrived just as the Sailing Away party was cranking up. Porters were walking around handing out drinks that are...not free...

In fact, weak and overpriced...$10 for a strawberry / pinapple something that I got...but, considering it added to the festive feel of Sailing Away, I'm not complaining. But, if I had to do it again, I'd decline! But, as I said, it sort of added to the occasion, so, I suppose it was worth it (wish it had been a bit stronger though!).

The kid experienced the whole party dancing and generally enjoying the music from the pool, while I boogied a few feet behind her on the deck, took pictures and videos, and sipped my newly acquired frozen beverage. We did step up to wave goodbye to the webcam, but the kid was a bit cold (winds were blowing in...and they smelled of rain coming...), so we didn't stay up there long.

Back in the pool, I saw the clouds, and being familiar with Florida weather, I knew what those dark clouds meant!

In addition, someone responded to my trip report that they had just experienced a storm and hoped it didn't catch up with us.

Well...it did. At the first flash of lighting, they closed the pool, much to my kids dismay. It broke her mood. We went back to the stateroom and I tried to cheer her up, but she really just wanted to mope and watch Disney Cartoons on TV. I showed her pictures of the Oceaneers Club and Lab to try and entice her to try them out...I tried to get her excited about Enchanted Garden (our restaurant for the night), but it really wasn't happening. Two tiring days of travel and excitement had caught up with her, and her mood wasn't going to reset.

So...room service it is!

I had a cheeseburger, and she had chicken strips and fries. I also ordered a six pack of mixed flavor sodas.

The burger was dry. Her strips and fries were tasty though (yes, I snagged a bite of each!).

But, we still enjoyed spending the evening together, and it helped to reset her mood. Later that night, I was able to coax her to try out the Kid's clubs. So, a rather confused walk around the ship, and we finally found the clubs. I checked her in, and went back to the stateroom. Here I worked a bit on the Trip Report, and had a rum and coke. After a while, I decided to walk the ship, so I could familiarize myself with where everything is.

It was not only a good move that would come in handy on later days, it also proved very relaxing and enjoyable. I found the loop around the front and back of the ship on Deck 4 the most interesting parts of the ship. Don't ask me why, specifically. There's nothing there but white metal on all sides and Cast Only entrances. But, something about it just felt "real"...as if these parts of the ship are the "real" ship, and the rest of it is a facade.

The deck is perfect for cutting between the fore, mid and aft sections of the boat. It 4 also serves as the running track for the ship. 2.5 revolutions = 1 mile. You'll find joggers here often.

Deck 4 aft is where the adult clubs are. I didn't inspect them tonight, I just peeked inside. Though, I did snag a Bass Ale from O'dhdhd.

Deck 4 is also the middle level of the Grand Atrium, and the upper balcony of the Walt Disney Theater. The movie theater is also located here. They also have "Shutters", which my Carribean Beach Resort programmed brain immediately associates with a restaurant or bar, but it's not. It's a Photopass style service, as best I can tell. I'll do more research and get back to you on that. There's also an Art Gallery here.

One deck up is are the Oceaneer Club and Oceaneer Labs.

One deck down (Deck 3) is the shopping, Guest Services, and the lower level of the Walt Disney Theater.

This is far from an inclusive list of what are on these decks, I'm just pointing out what stood out to me as a newcomer walking them for the first time.

Decks 11, 12 and 13 are where the pools and "quick service" eateries are, and I suspect we will be spending a lot of time on these Decks.

Between these three decks you can walk the whole length of the ship as well.

At this point I was feeling the rum and coke and bass ale (ok, and I may or may not have picked up another beer on Deck 11...<grin>), so I went back to stateroom for a while and waited for midnight, when I planned to go pick up the kid. While she has trouble changing gears, she is a social child, and I was pretty sure she was having fun with her new "friends" in the club. I wanted her to do this, to get into the attitude of a "cruise".

This was something I needed to work on as well. It has only been one night, the first night even, and I already am having trouble adjusting. It is nothing like doing a park. First, everyone is much better dressed.

In fact, I felt severely underdressed (to the point of feeling uncomfortable) in many instances. Second, and this could be a reflection of my own insecurity about the ship, everyone seemed to know what they were doing and where they were going. I just felt lost, and many times simply frustrated.

I knew I wanted to find our restaurants. And, I knew where they were located, both on the ships maps and in terms of description (deck 3 mid, for example)...but I found myself walking into dead ends on decks, lost with the elevators, etc.

That first night I just felt overwhelmed by it all. Deck 4 became my highway to everything, and was my saving grace.

So, I picked the kid up, and she had a blast that night. Couldn't wait to come back, according to her. We walked along Deck 4 and back to our Stateroom where she got into her pj's and promptly passed out on her bunk.

Oh, her bunk! Well, I'll get into that in another post. End of Day 3.

Coming up, Day 4 - So Much to See at Sea!

(click to go back to that post)

englanddg's Surf and Turf Experience

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Day 5 - What is so Grand about Grand Cayman? (Part 1)

Magic - 2 (Grand Cayman, Submarine Crew)
Peeves - 1 (Formal Night)
Breakfast - Too much to List, buffet (me and kid)
Lunch - None
Dinner - Steak Sandwich, Fries (me), Chicken Tenders, Fries (kid)
Snacks - In room Coffee at Contemporary, Sailing Away Drink (me), Fanta (kid)
Dining Credits - Not Applicable on the Ship
Steps - 5,830 steps / 2.83 mi / 2,484 cal

So, day 5, and third day on the Fantasy. Here we go!

This cute guy awaited us last night when we came back to the room!

I woke up early, hella early considering we crossed a time zone and are now an hour ahead. Daylight Savings where we "fall back" is always like sleep Christmas to me, and the fact we did so mid-cruise is even more so!

They left us a nice little note on our beds to remind us to turn the clocks back, and the ship operates on "port time", so that meant we got an "extra hour" today to play or do whatever. Of course, like Daylight Savings, we'll have to pay this time back, but for now, the delay is appreciated.

Today is our first Port. Grand Cayman Island. I had explained to the kiddo how this was part of the British Commonwealth, but it, frankly, was over her head.

So, lets skip back to how the day started...

Sleeping in. Again...for both of us. I was up a few hours ahead of time, and considered going and getting breakfast for us both, but I am still iffy about how Cabanas works, and what to do. So, I spent the morning going through emails and relaxing on the veranda working on my body tan. Imagine the stay pufft marshmallow man on a reclining deck chair...and you have me.

After a few hours, the kid woke up. I purposfully let her sleep in. After the past few days, we both were short on sleep, and high on energy, and that means sleep to get back into a normal groove. So, I didn't rush her at all. She woke up, and her first instinct was to turn on Disney Cartoons (that's my girl!).

We got ready for the day to antics of Donald and Goofy. Can't say there is a much better way to wake up...but I needed some food and some coffee (the latter being more important).

So, after getting dressed for the day, we made our way to Cabanas. Now, the kiddo had a few choices of outfits left that were clean (laundry night is tonight), and one of them is a blue dress which is quite gaudy, and also quite carribean. She selected this dress...but kudos to her, she can pull it off. I could not (for many more reasons than my sex alone).

I wore the last clean daytrip outfit I had, and as I said, we headed out to Cabanas for breakfast.

If I ever thought Chef Mickey's had a great buffet...which I did a few days ago, I had not experienced Cabana's breakfast.

Holy wow it was good! I had eggs benedict, corned beef hash, sausage, peppercorn lox, and lox and eggs.

I was rolling in breakfast heaven.

The kiddo had a Mickey Waffle, chocolate pancake, hash browns and a glass of Orange Juice and Milk.

The kid and I did a milk chug contest, which she won. I also peeled the orange she wanted for breakfast, and broke it into slices for her to eat.

Breakfast done, we headed towards the Walt Disney Theatre to get our passes to go ashore. On the way, we ran into a tour group...which cut us off, and a CM who was overbearing with directions. I knew where we were supposed to be, it is not my fault we ran into a tour group!

But, the CM was helpful (not really) and directed us where I was already going. I think what turned me off was that she kept saying "talk to me"...

I responded, deadpan..."Um, ok." Now, I should be lenient, as she was an islander (not from Grand Cayman...barbados as I recall from her nametag), and there is a language difference...mind you I did not take offense, but I didn't exactly cooperate either, as her questions were silly. I knew where I wanted to go, I just wanted her tour group to let us by. She was cute though...yeesh, I have a thing for island girls... <blush>

Once there, I got to experience the unloading process in full, and wow, Disney has this down to a science. First there was an MC named David who was fantastic. He always had a nice quip mixed with explainations. Extremely professional, yet fun. Second, the rest of the supporting staff, including the officers who poked their heads in, let him run the show. Again, good call.

David owned us the moment we walked into the auditorium, and he was tons of fun (and tons of information as well). My favorite joke that he used was "like an airline, you think that once you've been called you should all stand up. Don't!"

So, we made our way off the ship, and onto a two story Tender Boats.

Once in Grand Cayman, we walked the tourist area, picking up a snow cone for the kid for donation only to a local church. I gave an extra few bucks for their cause, and they let the Kid spice her cone herself (including squirting the red strawberry syrup all over her dress)...

But, that's how you learn. So I was not upset.

A few napkins later, we (including her red stain) walked to the duty free shops and picked up some goods to give as gifts when she returns to the ex and her family.

I also picked up a nice polo shirt for myself.

I almost picked this up for my co-worker/employee since this is a private joke between us.

We went off to the perfume shops where we picked out some gifts for Nana (grandmother) and Mommy. The kid had a blast here pretending she was an educated fragrance shopper!

Now, I worked for Calvin Klein for a while (during the CK-B rollout, to be specific), and as a result was quite familiar with the protocol, which shocked my kiddo.

Time was closing in for our Port Excursion, so I pulled a parental veto, and after taking a short break to do a few dancing clips for the video, ID checks. Think of it like a safe zone...

When dancing in front of the welcome sign for the Caymans, a well meaning couple kept saying "do you want us to take a picture of you?"

We did, as we are both Disney Fantasy groups...they just didn't get why we were Dancing. I didn't inform them...

While waiting for our excursion, we passed by a shop that had "Spicy Meat Pies"...oh, I wanted one of the Jamaican goodies, as I love them...but, this one was terrible.

I had two bites, and tossed it. It was that bad. If you want good meat pies, I wouldn't get them from the vendor here!

So, the time had come to get ready for our excursion, a submarine voyage. And, I must say, this excursion was worth every dollar.

After a short taxi ride, we were taken to a two level boat. We were told to board upstairs...not sure why (I found out later!)

We went out to where we were supposed to meet the submarine, and...we got to see it surface!

The kid found this quite interesting!

Soon, we were on board. It was more spacious than I expected!

We went down to around 60 feet in depth, and the staff was polite and informative, and I learned a lot about the "visible spectrum"...see, this is something I didn't know. After 5 feet, the red spectrum of light begins to dissipate. So, coral shots that are colorful, photographers use massive flashes to get that color out. That's why everything seems so "blue" so deep. The kid adored the trip!

And she loved the "shipwreck" (actually it's a monument, but I let her think it was a shipwreck)...

It was time to surface again...and we enjoyed every minute!

<Continued Next Post>

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Day 5 - What is so Grand about Grand Cayman? (Part 2)

This was a great excursion that left us a lot of time to leasurely work our way back to the boat without feeling rushed. The kid adored it.

On the way back we got a great view of the "pirate ship" in the harbor.

They also offered a variety of unique drinks!

Nice touch Disney!

Back on board, we relaxed a bit in the Stateroom and then got dressed for our first real "luxury" dinner...Animators Pallete.

Goodbye Grand Cayman!

We were seated with a wonderful Mother/Son duo who I thoroughly enjoyed conversing with, as did the kid (she is asleep now early just because she wants to play with him tomorrow...um...kiddo growing up too fast!)

The restaurant was amazing!

I ordered the Black Truffle Pasta Pureittes filled with Truffle scented Cheese and coated with a Champane Sauce.

It was very good!

The kiddo had some fruit.

I decided I wanted a drink, so I got the Blueberrilicious. This has Tequila, fresh blueberries, passion fruit juice, orange flavor liquor, and freshly squeezed lime juice.

It...was terrible.

One neat thing about dining is that you can order whatever you want, so I got the Baked Potato and Cheddar Cheese Soup with Bacon Bits and Chive...it was pretty good. Not Le Cellier, but still decent.

For an entree, I got the Animators Trio of Veal, which had a grilled Tenderloin, pulled Shank and Totellacci Pasta with a Sun-Dried Tomato stuffing, a Sage reduction (and annoying sage leaf on top), and garnished with a Potato Crisp. It sounds a lot better than it tasted.

Then came dessert!

The kid got a Mickey Ice Cream...covered with chocolate syrup and mickey sprinkles. A Kids delight!

I decided on the Sweet Temptations. This is a trio of crunchy walnut cake, pineapple financier and lemon mousse. It...was fantastic!

The meal was excellent, though I wish I was on another ship where they animate your drawings (hi, Dream) or where they change colors (Hello Magic and Wonder)...but I enjoyed it all the same. Crush basically owns the show as the DJ, and it goes on throughout your dinner...it's not the same as the other ships.

After a wonderful dinner, the kid wanted to go to her Club, so I checked her in and did Skyline and O'Gills. I tried to do laundry, but that seemed very popular to do tonight...so I am still up doing it. Dryer should be done now.

And so, I've caught back up. I've left out a bit here and there, but it's nice to be back on a normal posting schedule. So, if I make reference to the past few days, I'll be sure to clarify.

I'm off to get my dry laundry and go to bed. Thanks for following!

Next post - Day 6 - Can Ruins ruin a day?

(click here to go back to the flow of the posts)

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Day 6 - Can Ruins ruin the Day? (Part 1)

Magic - 1 (Tour guide for the Ruins tour!)
Peeves - 2 (People who don't follow the rules, Over Enthusiastic Service)
Breakfast - Eggs Benedict, Breakfast Sausage, Eggs with capers and sauteed mushrooms, Bacon, 2 slices of Orange, Dill Salmon (lox) with Cream Cheese and capers, Chocolate Milk, Glass of OJ, Cup of Coffee (me)
Eggs, hashbrowns, bacon and an orange sans 2 slices, 1 tall glass of orange juice, chocolate milk
Lunch - None
Dinner - Slow Roasted Duck and Cheese Quissadilla, Saffron Mussel Soup, Peppercorn Crusted New York Strip, Sweet Temptations (me)
Mini Cheeseburger, Fries, Veggies, Grilled Pork Chop, Kebob Dessert (kid)
Snacks - 1 bottle of grapefruit soda, 1 Mexican Coke (me), 1 Mexican Fanta (kid), 1 Jumex Apple Juice (shared), 1/4 bag of Mexican Cheetos (shared)
Dining Credits - N/A on the ship
Steps - 9,635 Steps, 4.68 mi., 2852 cal.

This bad boy welcomed us home last night!

Ok, so I'm starting to notice a pattern forming here...

I wake up around 8a or 9a, and let the kid sleep in for a bit while I straighten up the room, check emails, and do other general "housekeeping". Then I wake the kid and she takes a bath or shower and does her morning routine while I set out her clothes for the day. Then, as she is getting dressed, I do my morning routine and take my own shower.

Then we head off to Cabanas for a mid-morning breakfast (10a - 10:30a or so). Then back to the stateroom to hang out for a while as we wait for our afternoon shore experience. Go on shore, do the experience, return to the ship. Eat dinner. Then relax for the evening. Bed by midnight or soon after. Rinse and repeat!

So, a few days in and I know the boat better. I finally have gotten the hang of cutting through different venues to get places on the ship. For example, I didn't realize you could cut through Cabanas to get to the pool...so we had been going to Deck 13 (Goofy Sports) and walking down every day. So much easier to cut through. Same with Deck 4. The first two days I'd been taking the exterior decks because I didn't realize you could cut through the venues there to get to Midship.

Little things like this are not indicated well on the map, and frustrated me the first few days because I kept hitting dead ends. But, I think we got the hang of it now (at least we don't get lost as much!).

So, on with the our day!

I woke up this morning to wonderful (but hot) weather. We weren't expected to port until 12:30p, and it was 8:30a, so plenty of time to burn. I let the kiddo sleep in while I caught up on work and did a few other things (youknow...the routine I described earlier!).

I've enjoyed the extra long deck. Many times I just stand out there and just watch the sea. It's very relaxing. The view is better during the day, but it's obviously more comfortable at night! One thing I sort of don't like (not sure what could be done about it though) is all the light pollution that prevents the stars from being visible. One of the things I remember from the windjammer I did as a teenager was how amazing the skies at seas at night are. On the Fantasy, I can barely make out even the brightest starts. Not really a complaint, just an observation.

I drank the Grapefruit Soda I'd bought at Grand Cayman the day before...I love grapefruit soda, and it's hard to find here in the US!

The kid woke up and drank an apple juice I had snagged from the Contemporary that had been sitting in the fridge waiting for someone to want it. She watched cartoons while I got her bath ready. So, lets talk about TV on the Fantasy.

As you'd imagine, channels are limited. They have a few internal channels, my favorite being the "map" channel and the "bridge view" channel. Of course, they have ABC and Disney Channel. But, the channel of choice for this trip is...the Cartoon Channel. It plays classic Disney Cartoons 24 / 7.

You know when you notice that they loop it in groups of characters, you've seen too much of it! That...would be me! They play 3 or 4 Donald cartoons, then 3 or 4 Goofy cartoons, then three or four Mickey cartoons, etc. At first I thought it was a static loop (they do repeat a lot of the cartoons), but I've seen new ones thrown in every now and then...or at least ones I must have missed in earlier viewings.

Loops or not, the kid doesn't care. She could watch this channel all day and order room service for the whole trip and enjoy herself just as much. Toss in pool time, and she could care less about all the rest of the stuff there is to do on the ship! I'm kidding here, of course...well...sort of! <grin>

Down to Cabana's for breakfast. This is our second day eating here (and it's the only breakfast I know of on the ship outside of brunch at Palo)...and I'm perfectly find with that. They varied the menu a bit today, and it was still excellent!

I'm especially fond of the eggs benedict!

I did miss the Pastrami Salmon rolls they had yesterday, but the dill tasted just fine.

The kid tried a hashbrown today, smothered in ketchup of course! Other than that her meal was no different than yesterday. Oh, yeah...we had chocolate milk today instead of white.

As we ate we noted a speedboat circling us. Obviously the boat was military.

They kept circling the Fantasy, doing figure eights and it generally looked like the crew was just having fun scooting around the ship. They would slow down from time to time and wave at people who I assume were on the upper decks (above us).

Flying a Mexican flag, I assume this is Mexican Security (Federali) for the cruise. A lot of the other Guests were chattering about it as well. A bit later another boat (this one obviously civilian Port Authority) sped towards the hull at a 90 degree angle. At the last minute, the driver whipped the boat parallel to the Fantasy, and a man boarded the ship. The boat then sped off. I'm assuming this was either a harbor pilot or an immigration and customs official who boarded.

This was all quite interesting to watch. It was a very different experience than Grand Cayman, where we dealt with Tender boats.

After breakfast we headed back to the room. The kid watched TV, and I stood out on the deck and watched the docking process. It was interesting to see the Captain swing the boat around in a quiet pirouette. As we neared the deck, I wandered if we'd backed ourselves into a corner, but I was way off. My view from the back of the ship had distorted my perspective! Something I realized after we exited the ship.

Once again we headed to the Walt Disney Theater to head ashore. This time the Theater was being used as the assembly point for the Chicchoban Mayan Ruins excursions.

Apparently, this is extremely popular. We were told repeatedly (by different people) that over 800 people were participating in the excursion! I'm glad we were early for the 12:45 meeting time! We got to be part of the first group out, and the first group back as a result!

Again the departure was handled well...though once again I was shocked how many people don't show up prepared with their excursion tickets, room keys and or photo IDs. It's not like we aren't told repeatedly to do so!

But, this works to our advantage, as it means that even a very long looking line, really isn't, as Guests are turned away and it means we can skip ahead in the line!

A short wait and we were off on the pier. They do run a shuttle along the length of it, but we (and most guests) just walked it. As we got closer to the end of the pier we heard drums. The kid asked why they were beating drums. "Are we going to war?" she queried. "Um...not that I know of, why?" "Drums are for war. Where's my sword!?!"

My kid is stupid silly.

As it turns out it was a group of Mayan Reinactors done up in full ceremonial / traditional garb. They seemed to be having such a great time talking about their culture and meeting with people. I wanted to go see them up close, but we had an excursion to attend! So, off to our line.

After ticket check, we were put on a tour bus. The bus was a bit dirty, but not uncomfortably so. The kid and I settled down in a seat halfway down the bus, and soon we were on our way to the mysterious Mayan Ruins!

I was quite excited about this excursion. I studied Central American Indian cultures in school, and the Mayan civilization always interested me. Partially due to the advanced nature of their culture, and particularly due to the brutality of it. If the Incans were the Romans of American Indians, the Mayan's were the Persians!

I was chomping at the bit to see real temples with my own eyes...perhaps temples that Cortes himself (though he was a brutal man) may have seen.

So, we were off. Costa Maya, once you leave the secured port area, was just sad. It had incomplete construction, and the whole area just felt depressed. Much of the construction was rather recent, easily within the past 10 years. I suspect at one point, entrepreneurs had thought they could turn Costa Maya in to a vacation destination, using the cruises to spread the word...but it obviously didn't work out.

Half constructed buildings and abandoned buildings were everywhere.

Things didn't get much better as we traveled to our destination. Some houses were very well kept, others were falling apart. It reminded me of driving through some of the more rural parts of the US in the South. You'll pass by a very nice house and a few yards away is a house that is occupied, but falling apart.

We went through a military checkpoint (yeah, not something you see too often in the US, though you will see border checkpoints and random TSA / police checkpoints. This one appeared fairly permanent...and considering what I've read in the news about the goings on in Mexico, it made me wonder if this was related.

It reminded me of East Germany...

On the way our tour guide, Carlos, introduced himself. He was a wealth of information. Not just about the Maya, but about the Yucatan Peninsula itself. Full of lots of neat little trivia, he was a joy to listen to. He had a great sense of humor as well.

For example, he started off his presentation all in Spanish. Which was hilarious! I understood most of what he was saying (I work with a lot of Spanish speakers and studied it for 3 years in high school / college)...but it was quite obvious that many in the bus had no clue what he was saying.

Well, what he was saying was, roughly, "Welcome to Mexico and the Yucatan! It is a beautiful place with noble history. Since you are in Mexico, I will be doing today's tour in Spanish. Do you understand Spanish? Does anyone speak Spanish?" (someone in the back recognized this phrase, a teenager, I think, from the voice) "Yes, I do!" "Excellent. Then I will be doing some common expressions. Where is the bathroom?" (he stared around the bus looking for comprehension).

"Would you like to have some Taco Bell?" (some people perked up at the term "Taco Bell") "Well, my friends, there is no Taco Bell here. What about some beer (cervesa)?" At this many on the bus obviously knew this word. Here he cut into English.

Anyhow, it was a fun little opening. He had a sly sense of humor and a good natured banter. Another example. "Are any of you hungry?" (someone in the back says yes) "Well, I'm sorry, there is no food. I'm hungry too, though, so we can be hungry together!"

Anyhow, the ride over was pleasant, though Carlos's monologue didn't last the whole trip...the kid napped on my leg, and I took a short nap as well, waking up as we were pulling off the main highway and into the entrance of the ruin site. Oh, another neat thing Carlos did was hand out his own stickers (just a standard yellow circle sticker) to identify "his group".

This was a smart move on his part, because all 800 of us coming off the Fantasy all had the same Pinocchio sticker! This way he could tell who belonged to him or not! He also came with artifacts which he passed around, and pictures as well. Extremely organized and informative, I was impressed!

When we got there, Carlos instructed us that it was safe to leave personal belongings and bags on the bus, and due to the walking nature of the tour and the heat, we probably should do so.

One thing I wish I had brought with us was some water. They sell it (and bottle holders) for a reasonable price outside of the excursion check in area on the ship, but I skipped it. I was regretting that decision now, as while the bus had air conditioning, it wasn't that great.

To my relief, there is a small snack bar at the ruin site, as well as many shops that present "hand made" wares. No idea if they really are "hand made" or if that's just what they say to sell things to tourists...but I don't care either way. The quality of the merchandise, for the most part, was very good. The kiddo and I grabbed a soda each and I picked up some Mexican Cheetos.

Lo and behold...Mexeetos!

Why Mexican Cheetos? Well...I had joked with the kid that while here in Mexico she could get some Mexeetos (Mexican Cheetos). It was just a joke because she had gotten some chips at Grand Caymen, and asked me what snacks they would have here. I didn't realize there really would be Mexican Cheetos!

We walked the shops and got a few ideas for souvenirs. Then, it was off on the tour!

A short walk and we were seeing the first pyramid. As it turns out, this pyramid was discovered (or...rediscovered) in the 1970s and renovated / excavated in the mid-90s. The Mexican government has worked to restore the pyramid, so it's one of the cleanest examples in terms of rock-work in the park.

<Continued Next Post>

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Day 6 - Can Ruins ruin the Day? (Part 2)

The kid and I took a few dancing videos here and the group continued on.

Next we got to see a buried temple that hadn't been excavated yet. To a casual viewer it would look just like a hill, but as Carlos explained, hills are very rare in the Yucatan, so most "hills" are generally un-excavated temples. The Mexican Government has plans to start working on this particular hill/temple in the next few years.

From there we went to a plaza and got to see the back part of the first temple we saw. This was quite interesting, but Carlos took it a step further. He pointed out some of the trees in the area, including the "chewing gum tree", the Manilkara Chicle / Sapodilla.

He explained the history of Chewing Gum and the Mayan impact on it. Chiclet, he explained, is a Mayan word taken by an entrepreneurial Spaniard who observed the Mayans using the sap from the tree to clean their teeth. The word literally means (according to Carlos) "To Chew".

A few minutes later he called the group together again and started handing out a unique looking leaf and told us to smell it. The smell was oddly familiar, but I couldn't place it. Turns out, it's allspice! Neat!

He was full of little surprises like this all day.

We rounded a corner and he showed us a stela, which is a large stone tablet with Mayan hyroglypics on it used to communicate / commemorate special events, special people, etc...

From there he showed us some very large steps, which most of the group climbed. He did not tell us what was at the top of the steps, which was wise.

Because you come over the edge to see this...

From there he gave us another quick rundown of what we are looking at, again rife with unique little pieces of information, including that the temples used to be painted, and some of the paint had survived on one of the two temples at the top of the mount. He then informed us that we would meet at the buses in a half hour, and if anyone had further questions or needed directions to the exit, he would be standing close by.

The kid had fun running around the temples, and we went and saw the paint, but my mind was distracted at this point. Why? Well, I coudln't remember if I'd left my bag on the bus or not. This worried me because my room key and Passport Card were in the bag! Among the very short list of things you CAN NOT lose while ashore, these items top the list! Everything else is an inconvenience, but these items are required to get back on board the ship!

Mental images of possible situations kept going through my head...what if I'd lost the bag? What if I didn't have my card and Mexican security wouldn't let me pass? What if when I got to the ship, how would they handle it? Would they allow me back into my stateroom to grab my real passport?

I tried to calm myself that yes, I had left the bag on the bus as Carlos had instructed us to do. The kid swore that she remembers me leaving it there, but because of the importance of the cards, I was a few steps away from freaking out! I had to see them with my own two eyes. So, the 20 minutes we explored the ruins, I have to say I was a bit distracted.

As soon as I felt we'd seen pretty much everything we needed to see, we hightailed it (kid in tow, she wasn't pleased by my choice of walking pace) back to the busses. I think I was the first one of my tour group back! We went on the bus, and yes...there it was...my bag.

I took out the cards and put them in my wallet, and the kid and I went shopping!

We picked up a dress for her little sister, and a dress for her. I got myself a chess set.

And we got two clay whistles, one for the kid and the other for her uncle.

The kid also picked out a Dolphin necklace for her mom...but decided to wear it "for safe keeping". By the end of the day she decided she wanted to keep the necklace for herself. <grin> Ok, I won't tell!

In all the deals were ok. I'm not much of a haggler, but I did it here. They seemed to expect it. I found it worked best to offer to buy more, but at a lower price. Call it a "bulk discount"!

The bus ride back was fairly uneventful. We drank a Jumex Apple Juice together and shared some Mexican Cheetos. They...weren't very good.

The kid says they taste like Macaroni and Cheese, and that she doesn't want to eat anything that tastes like Macaroni and Cheese that isn't Macaroni and Cheese. Deep thoughts, by KK.

Along the way we did pass another tour bus which had broken down, and our driver stopped and checked on them before continuing. I believe he was telling the other driver he'd be back to pick up his passengers, but I'm not sure. Also, on the ride back a group of police vehicles (5 as I recall) sped past lights on. They were pick-up trucks and their beds were filled with armed people. Wierd. Good thing they were speeding the opposite direction from where we were going!

I want to be clear, even though I noticed the police and the military checkpoint, at no point did we feel uncomfortable or unsafe. Everyone we ran into was wonderful and nice. These are just things I noted on the trip, and not a reflection of the area, per se. I've felt more uncomfortable driving through some neighborhoods in Atlanta than I did in Yucatan!

So, if you are looking at doing this tour, don't let those things I mentioned concern you. As I said, they were just things I noticed (and easy to notice, as there really isn't much out there but farm houses, a few general stores / shops, and roads...so, there's not much to look at!).

Walking the pier back to the ship we ran into the Mayan Warriers again and snapped a photo with them. They work on tip only, so I made sure to leave something.

Along the way back I noted that the maintenance platform is painted to match the hull. Hello Disney Details!

Back on board we stopped by the room to take a quick shower and get ready for dinner. Tonight was Enchanted Garden.

The kid decided to skip an appetizer, but I had the Slow Roasted Duck and Cheese Quesadilla. It was an interesting taste. Mango, Cilantro and Red Peppers with a Chimichurri Sauce and Arugula Drizzle. Not really something you'd imagine would go well with duck, but it did.

This isn't a classic Quesadilla, rather it's more like a Rangoon. Triangular pastry deep fried. However, it felt like it was lightly seasoned...maybe adding some minced habanero or something to give it some kick would be nice. That being said, I would get it again if we go back.

I also had the Saffron Mussel Soup. There was one mussel inside, but it was of a good size, so no complaints. The dish was garnished with chives. It was ok. It also tasted a bit light on seasoning. I also think a cream sauce of some sort would have added something to the dish. Still, it wasn't bad, and I ate most of it.

Why didn't I finish it? Well, our servers are a bit quick on the draw! More than once (tonight and last night) I've had meals taken from me before I'm finished, and it happens so quickly and unexpectedly that I barely have time to react! I'm not complaining (otherwise I would complain), but it would be nice if they asked me before just grabbing my plates.

That being said, our service team is fantastic, and I know they are just doing what they've been trained to do (keep the table clear and the meal flowing), so...<shrug> Still, a "Are you ready for your next course, sir." before snagging my dish would be nice.

For entrees the kid went all out. The mini Cheeseburger (something she wanted to try last night) wasn't so "mini". In fact, it looked just like a normal cheeseburger that you'd get at Flos or from Room Service! With this came mac and cheese (always a winner) and a floret of broccoli and cauliflower with a steamed carrot. She devoured it all!

She also ordered a grilled Pork Chop. The kiddo LOVES pork chops (good taste, eh), so she was excited to see it on the menu. However, I must say she wasn't so excited once it came out. It looked like someone had stepped on it, and they spooned some pineapple on top.

Now, I've had Hawaiian style pork chops, and I know that pineapple goes well with pork. But, when you see "grilled pork chop" on a menu, Hawaiian style isn't exactly what comes to mind. The kid didn't even touch it, even though I offered repeatedly to cut it up for her. I didn't even try it (and I like to taste everything). It just looked sad. Even our dining companions commented on it. Here, see for yourself.

I had the Peppercorn Crusted New York Strip. This was served on a bed of chopped and sauteed Green Beans and Corn with whipped Yukon Gold Potatoes and a Brandy Sauce.

Now, before I go further, look at this...Does that look like a New York Strip to you? It didn't to me. It looked more like a cheap thin sirloin cut. Not what I expected when I saw it on the menu. I ordered it Medium Rare, and I'm glad I did. The meat was tough even at that cut! The Peppercorn crust was nicely done, but I still had to salt the meat a bit. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't what I expected and I didn't enjoy the meat alone.

Now, not focusing on the negatives of the dish, lets look at the positives! EVERYTHING else on the plate was delicious! I especially enjoyed the Green Beans and Corn. Well seasoned, I loved every bite. The potatoes were creamy and buttery with a nice crust on the top (probably used a burner on it, I think).

The Brandy Sauce was everything the menu implied it would be with "dark berry fruit flavors and the powerful undertones of a fine Cabernet Sauvignon". These saved the steak for me. I would mix all the items together on the fork to make a bite, then dip it in the sauce and devour!

For dessert the kid had a rather neat deconstructed Fruit Kebab. It came with toothpick skewers, fresh fruit and a chocolate dipping sauce. This was gone almost so fast that I didn't have time to take a picture of it!

I had the Sweet Temptations. This is a "tour" of the desserts offered here. Tonight, I made sure to order some coffee with dessert! (you'd think that would be an automatic question from the servers, but it's not...at least not for my service team).

The trio of miniature desserts include Cinderella's Lemon infused Cheesecake (sooooo gooooood), Chilled Chocolate Souffle (sooooo riiiich!) and a Tiramisu (sooooo perfect). One thing Disney has nailed both nights is dessert. Diet be darned, be sure to check them out if you go on a cruise!

Stuffed and happy, we went back to the room and the kid changed into her swimsuit. We went for a night swim, and stayed until they closed the Mickey Pool off. I worked on the trip report, and the kid practiced floating, kicking and holding her breath under water. She made it to 15 seconds! A new record!

Movies were playing. High School Musical (which I had not seen, and isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be...I can see why it did pretty well in the theaters...it's still a teen / kids movie, but it was enjoyable), and after that was Teen Beach Movie. This one, I could live without seeing. I have seen it before, and once was enough. Thankfully, I had my laptop with me. <grin>

We picked up some chicken nuggets from Flos for the kid, and I had some pizza. I also had my mug from the Contemporary with me with some...extra adult spice, if you will, in it to add to my soda...or rather to add soda to it! <wink>

Around 11:00 they closed the Mickey Pool. I'm not sure why...maybe cleaning? The kid still wanted to swim, but the only other pool that was still open (that she has access to) is the Donald Pool.

This pool is in the same area as the Mickey Pool, and it's right in front of the big screen. It's 5'2" deep, which is about 8 inches taller than the kid. While her swimming has been getting better (or at least her fear of water is dripping away), I was worried about her in this pool.

I put down my things and kicked off my sandles, warning her that the pool is much deeper than it appears, and twice as deep as the Mickey pool. She...didn't believe me, and jumped right in.

Now, I don't think she would have had any issue if she heeded my warnings, but she didn't. The depth caught her off guard, and before she could devolve into panic I swooped down and lifted her out of the pool.

She was laughing (crazy little ) and crawled back into the pool. This time she eased herself in and hung off the edge. I let her do this for about 10 minutes, but didn't feel comfortable being more than a few feet away (certainly not 15 - 20 feet away in a deck chair facing the pool)...so, I pulled a parental veto and declared the night over. The fun meter had been pegged!

Back in the room, we watched some TV and I worked on this report. Then off to dreamland to be well rested for tomorrow.

So, coming up. Day 7 - So Long, and Thanks for "Arrrrrr" the Fish!

Click here to go back to the timeline of the thread.

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Love the pictures of the ruins! If I ever do a Western, I'd love to go there
It was a very interesting tour. Well worth the price, I think. I also liked how well it was timed. They were very organized, and informative.

I'd highly recommend it.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Those Mexican cheetos look disgusting.

Really appreciate that you're reposting as you edit the pics. I end up rereading, which is entertaining. Also, I really like your new profile pic. Your kid looks somewhere between this is awesome and am I really kissing this. Adorable!
They...weren't very good. But, the kid was right...they did taste like mac and cheese.

Sortof like if you bought a box of the Kraft Instamac and dumped it straight in your mouth...

(I think Canadians call it Kraft Dinner...so who says South Park has no educational value!)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Day 7 - So Long and Thanks for "Arrrr" the Fish! (Part 1)

Magic - 3 (Dophinaris, Pirates, Fireworks)
Peeves - 0 (Wee hee!)
Breakfast - Ham and Cheese Omelet, Bacon, 2 glasses of milk, 2 small glasses of Orange Juice (shared), 2 coffees (me)
Lunch - Steak (they called it beef, but it wasn't shredded beef or ground beef, more like chopped skirt steak) Burrito (me)
Chicken Nuggets and Fries (kid)
Dinner - Pearls of the Carribean, Carribean Style Conch Chowder, Captain Hook's Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi (me)
Mac and Cheese, Fries, Veggies, Steak with gravy, Chocolate Brownie (kid)
Snacks - Black Coffee (me), Raspberry mini muffin (me), 1 Double Shot Cafe Latte (me), 1 Mexican Coke (me), 1 Mexican Fanta (kid), 2 rum and cokes (me)
Dining Credits - N/A on the ship
Steps - 11,524 steps, 5.51 mi, 2979 cal

Ok, get ready for a long one. Today was a VERY busy day!

I woke up extremely early today. Around 6a ship time (which is the same as Central Time, US). I tried to go back to sleep, and normally I can. But today, it just wasn't happening. I felt too rested, too relaxed, and really didn't care to sleep any more.

It was still too early to wake up the kid, who was zonked out.

So, what to do with my time? I decided to go for a run on Deck 4, exterior, and then walk the ship. And, just for giggles, I brought you all along with me.

Oh, and you can click on the youtube logo to watch on youtube, then click on the gear in the video player you can adjust the video quality up to 1080 HD. I uploaded it in HD...but it doesn't play that way when embedded.

Yeah, I wore my GoPro on my headband. I got several odd looks from people, and a few asked what I was doing. When I explained I was doing a walkaround of the ship which I planned to speed up and put to music and post on youtube, I got several positive responses. "Oh, that sounds cool!".

But, I did look a bit goofy...I admit it!

So, after a lap around Deck 4 Exterior, I walked all over the ship for around 45 minutes. I picked up a coffee and a raspberry mini-muffin along the way. I collected a ton of video of the ship, all from a first person view. I've already reviewed some of the video using an HDMI cable, my laptop, and the rooms television. That's right, if your computer (or iPad) has the capability to connect to HDMI, you can use the stateroom TV as a display. Quite nice. I've used it the past week a few times as a second monitor. It's nice when doing code to have the finished product up on one screen, and the code and debugger on the other.

I backup all my pictures onto the 2 TB USB drive I brought with me. The other drive was busted (not surprising, it is a year old), so I donated it to Oscar the Grouch (threw it away)...I'm a bit bummed about that, but really for used drives that cost me nothing, I really am not complaining.

Around now the kid started to wake up. So, time to turn on the Disney Cartoons (I'll be dreaming of these cartoons word for word for months!)...at least they do seem to toss in a new one from time to time.

We lazed around the room. We didn't really have anywhere to be until 10:35 a. I watched us dock at Cozumel, and the whole procedure was very similar to Costa Maya. I also poked around on the internet some. Lets spend a moment talking about internet on the ship. It's much better than I thought it would be. It costs $55 for 100 minutes of time, $100 for 250 minutes of time, and $150 for 500 minutes of time. That's right, usage is based on time, not bandwidth. So, for example, I find myself doing a lot of work (like writing these reports) offline, and then popping on for a few minutes here and there throughout the day to check email, post responses, etc.

In fact, this is the primary reason I am not even trying to upload photos anymore. Flickr would work on it for 10 or 15 minutes, and then time out with an error. This is eating into my paid time, so even if I am working on something else online, it's not really something I care to afford.

I've also noticed that the internet towards the middle of the ship is better than aft. In my stateroom it's ok. At the pool or at O'Gills (pub), it's excellent. On my stateroom deck it won't even work (times out). Also, streaming (youtube, netflix, etc) is pretty much out of the question. While it will work, the lag is so bad and the time it takes to load / buffer a video so long that it's just a bad idea to do it.

So, while I wouldn't recommend you crank up World of Warcraft, it will function for day to day needs. And, it works far better than I thought it would. One note...be sure that you LOG OUT at the end of each session. You do this by going to a site provided to you by Disney.

If you don't, you'll find that your minutes continue to tick away, even if you aren't using the internet.

Moving on with our day...

We went to breakfast at Cabana's and, since we had only about 40 minutes until we had to meet inthe D Lounge for our excursion, we shared a quick breakfast of a ham and cheese omelet, and some bacon.

Docking was pretty much the same as Costa Maya. Nothing to note there. However, Cozumel is significantly larger than Costa Maya, and much busier.

We met with the rest of the excursion group in the D-Lounge, where our tickets were checked, a Simba Sticker issued to us (to mark us as "Dolphin Swimmers", other groups, even if going to the same place, were issued different stickers. Disney uses the stickers to identify that you are a cruise line passenger, and what excursion you are going on.) Then we were directed across the room to a gentleman who issued us wristbands.

We still had some time to burn, so I snagged the kid and we hopped over to the Cafe and got a Cafe Latte. Then back to D-Lounge to wait.

The staff was again amusing, yet organized. While not as funny as the CM who manned the Walt Disney Theater the past two ports, the staff here was full of little jokes and LOTS of warnings. "Do not bring any unpackaged food on shore. No fruit, no bread, no T-Bone steak that you have kept in your pocket for the past 2 days waiting for the right moment to eat. Nothing. Seriously, you will be caught, and the fine is $10,000. That's US dollars people!"

We didn't wait long. Soon, we were following a series of paddles (carried by kids, including mine, such a position of responsability!) down through the exit check-out points and onto an assembly point on the dock.

We were divided into two lines and handed off to the Dolphinarus staff. After walking the pier, we were taken up an escalator and over a bridge that lets out into a shopping plaza. "Plaza Fiesta" to be exact, but it didn't really feel much like a party...rather, it was like any other port. The vendors are very persistant. "Make your name on a bracelet in 5 minutes, princess?" Some really seemed enthusiastic about what they were doing, others looked bored, and barely even attempted to stop people...sitting in chairs, etc. Not that I blame them per se, it was HOT!

Along the way we ran into this guy...

Down a flight of stairs, and the kid informed me...she needed to use the restroom! Yes, great timing there kiddo! Your bladder and I will be having a serious conversation later! However, Jose, who was in charge of our taxi loading process, was very understanding. We hadn't started loading yet, so the kid and I rushed over to the closest restroom, and while I normally allow her to potty by herself, this time she went in the mens with me and I stood outside her stall urging her to keep a decent pace going.

We washed our hands and rushed back just as the last taxi was loading. The ride was what I had expected on a crowded street where traffic laws and right of way are more a factor of whomever gets to the spot first than any controlled method. Toss in people on mopeds scooting around, and it makes for a very interesting ride! Quite a few times I was convinced we were going to hit something (or get hit), but it never happened. However, we did get stuck behind a military truck that had rear ended a sudden stopping taxi. Appearantly there was no damage (or so little that neither party cared) because after inspecting both vehicles and the military driver (with armed backup) obviously not pleased with the cab driver, both got back into their vehicles and traffic started moving again.

Dolphinarus is an intersting place, and not what I expected at all. First, it's right in the heart of the metropolitan coast of Cozumel. Really, only a few blocks from the Port. In fact, we could have walked there in about the same time the Taxis took (and with less heartburn).

It is much smaller than I expected when we first got off, but this is decieving. Once you get back into the facility, it's actually a decent size. I had run into some people who did the Dolphin Swim in Costa Maya yesterday and they complained that the facility was small and the water was dirty...so I was a bit worried.

While I can't claim first hand experience of what they have at Costa Maya, I can say I am pleased to report that Dolphinarus is a very clean and well run facility. The staff, for the most part, are friendly and observant of the guests. Sure, some (like the lady at the cart) look bored, but then again...minding the souvanier cart all day must be boring. The locker lady likewise wasn't very outgoing, and the cashier in the Photo Lab (I'll get into that later) was flat out rude. But, everyone else was awesome, so I can overlook all this. Those few stick in the muds really didn't impact our experience at all!

Now, if I did have one serious gripe, it's that you get absolutely no direction from the staff on how this is going to work once you get there. I understood later why they do this, but for now, just put yourself in my shoes at the time...a facility I am not familiar with, and process that I really have no clue about outside of the very short description on the DisneyCruise.com website...in fact, all I really know is that I have a wristband and we are supposed to go swim with a Dolphin.

So, we sort of followed the herd who arrived with us, who, as it turns out, also had no idea what they should do. Immeadiately to the front after you pass through the turnstyle and have your wristband checked is a large patio with tables. They look like restaurant tables, with condiments in the middle and all. This struck me as odd, because I didn't see any waiters or food being served, or even drinks...so I thought that maybe, in a previous life, this facility was a restaurant with an ocean view or something.

People began to claim tables with their towels from the Fantasy, and from here you could see what we all had come for. The Dolphins in their pools. Current meet / swim with the Dolphin shows were being done, and we all got a good view of what we were in for, plus added fun. The dolphins jumped and swam and played together. Two of the side pools had dolphins that appeared to be off today (or on break, turns out they were on break) and they were actually even more fun to watch. They played with each other, tapped floating balls, etc.

The kid and I thoroughly enjoyed what we saw (though, I was still confused as to what we were supposed to do next). We talked about sonar, and I shared what little I know about Dolphins as she asked various questions. So, as an aside, and to get a bit serious here for a moment...I watched a movie called "The Cove" a few months ago, and this weighed in the back of my mind. I wondered, how many of these Dolphins came from Japan? Were they well treated here?

Now, I'm no Dolphin expert, but they did seem to be rather happy. The pens had plenty of room, and you could see that they had extra pens that were empty, and all the pens interconnected with obviously removable gates...I assume they open these up for times when the place is closed to give the Dolphins free time to wander through them all. I don't know this for sure, and it's really none of my business...but it is something that I thought about, so I am sharing it here.

Eventually I guessed we were in the wrong spot (we were, we were at the exit), and looking around for clumps of people, I noticed that the facility is much larger than I thought originally. There's a small walkway just to the right as you enter the facility that takes you over to showers, lockers, one of the empty pens I spoke of, another bay (which I later learned is the maternity bay, and they have two adolecents in there), a covered staging area and life jacket dispensary, and a quaint refreshment bar.

I noticed a small kiosk. This is where you can rent towels (we had brought some from the Fantasy, so no need) and a locker (which I recommend). Lockers are $3. You will be asked to surrender Photo ID in exchange for the key. I felt a bit anxious giving away my Passport Card, but <shrug>, I really wanted a locker key!

The lockers are well sized, and easily held our towels, my daypack, the kid's dress, etc. They key comes on a lanyard, which is very convenient for the upcoming experience. As a note, you are not allowed to bring anything into the pools except for your personal googles. That is it. So, leave your waterproof cameras at home, etc...because they won't be allowed. Partially for the safety of the dolphins, partially for your safety, and partically because they have a profit motive (which I'll get into later).

We wandered down to where the lifejackets are, and one of the staff pulled us aside and informed us we would be in bay 3, which she wrote on our wriststrap with a permanent marker. Then we went and got fitted for lifejackets and hung out and watched the dolphins. About 10 minutes later, it was time to head down to meet our flippery new friends!

After a short safety lecture from one of the trainers, we were split into our respective groups. One group was of younger children (4 - 6 or so, I'd guess) who were going to do the shallow water Dolphin Meet, and the other two groups were doing Dolphin Swims. We were introduced to our trainer / guide, Thomas. Thomas was awesome. As is usual, I've found at least so far in Mexico, the first question is "English or Spanish". I'd do ok if he was all Spanish (and, about half the presentation was in Spanish or he'd say both things). One family in our group only spoke Spanish.

The pool is divided into three sections. The deepest section is the domain of the Dolphins, and is about 20 feet deep. Next is a ledge that is about 4 to 4.5 feet deep. This is where the "swim with the Dolphin" experiences happen. Lastly, there's a ledge that's about 6 inches deep. This is where the meet with the Dolphin" people go.

This was a bit deep for my daughter, even though she's been working on her floating, paddling, kicking and submerging all week long to get ready for this experience. I am not sure what I had expected, but it wasn't quite as deep in the "meeting area" as this! Certainly not a 20 foot drop-off! I began to get a bit concerned that perhaps I had overestimated my kid's ability to do this. I don't want to be the sort of parent that forces her into experiences she is not ready for. The whole way in I kept asking "are you ok?"...She confirmed every time that she was, so we kept on.

Well, it turns out, as soon as she realized that her feet wouldn't touch the sandy ledge, even though there was a ledge to hold on to, she began to get a bit nervous. And when playful dolphins started to check us out (curious, no doubt), she got even more anxious. Nervous is the wrong word. I could see it in her eyes, she was a few minor steps away from all out panic. But, I held on to her and propper her up on my leg and whispered in her ear to calm down, and that helped...some. There were quite a few points during the experience that I thought about sitting it out, or indicating that we couldn't really participate. I don't want to cause a scene for the trainer or ruin other Guest's time here because my kid is freaking out about salt-water!

But, luckily, Tomas (our trainer / host) was quite adept with dealing with this sort of thing, and gave me ample time to calm her down while he continued the experience, out of order, skipping around us between sessions so she had time to calm down.

In the end, she did the whole experience, and she didn't break down (though, she did have a few close calls where I thought she might!) I was quite proud of her.

She floated out into the 20 foot water with me, and though she probably doesn't realize it, she was treading water by herself. I merely had my hand resting on the back of her lifejacket. I wasn't providing much in the way of beauancy.

Our Dolphin friends today were Aphrodite and Hermes (loving the Greek names! This from a guy who used to own a cat named Aristophanes (if you don't know who he is, google will help). They were great fun. Aphrodite is 28 months old and Hermes is 14. Obviously, Hermes was the most playful, but both were amazing to meet.

So, first we all lined up against the wall and our new friends swam by and said hello. We got to touch them on the back and sometimes they'd turn over and let us pat their belly. Our trainer warned never to grab them or to touch near their eyes, mouth (unless instructed to, we'll get to that in a moment) or blowholes (common sense, you would think...but, maybe not).

Then we got to shake hands with the Dolphins. You would float about 5 feet out from the ledge and put both hands on your life jacket. The dolphin then swims up and presents his/her pectoral flippers, which then you can touch lightly.

After this, another trainer joined us (I'm sorry, I missed his name) and the group began to do two activities at once. Half the group did "Dolphin Hugs" while the other half got to do their "ride". Then the two groups "switched". If you think about it, this is a pretty smart way to do it. That way, no one in the group gets "bored" and the group is easier to control (and as a result prevent harm to the guests or the dolphins), and it also means one dolphin isn't stuck giving all the "rides". I did my ride first...

Followed by the kid doing her "kiss and hug". In this experience you are instructed to put your hands in a specific signal and wait. The dolphins will kiss your cheek, and then you kiss them...yes, full on lips, on their chin.

And then me doing the same. If you've ever wondered what a Dolphin kiss tastes like...well, it's salty.

For the "hugs" we were instructed to place our palms, hands flat, under their chin and push backwards slightly, basically keeping them from floating or hitting the wall, and then we could pet them.

<Continued Next Post>

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Day 7 - So Long and Thanks for "Arrrr" the Fish! (Part 2)

Now came the big moment. The kid's turn to ride. I was still nervous if she would be able to do this, but Tomas noticed her trepidation earlier, and informed me I could swim out with her, and if she didn't want to ride alone, she could ride on my back. However, the experience so far had melted most of the kiddo's nervous nature about being in water where her feet couldn't touch the ground, and come time for her swim, she wanted to have a go at it on her own.

I swam out with her, and instructed her to hold the pose. Left arm straight out, other arm on her life jacket, I let her go and floated a few inches away. We saw Tomas gesture to the Dolphin to start her run. She flipped on her side, and dove, swimming deep and around our right side and surfacing upside down with her right pectoral fin directly in the kid's hand.

I yelled, grab on to both and hold on tight! She was shocked, but did so.

A few seconds later, she was in Tomas's arms and laughing hystarically.

I swam back over and we got to watch a short "farewell" show done by the dolphins with flips, claps and waves. We also got to "sing" with our dolphin. The whole experience lasted around 45 minutes, and I'd say it was well worth it.

Salty, wet, and tired, the groups left the pool and then were led around the campus to the exit. From here, staff members were immediately guiding us into the "photo shop". This is where they really make their money, I suspect (not that I fault them!).

Throughout the experience a photographer and a videographer (or, at least...a gal with a still camera and a guy with an HD camcorder) recorded the experience of all the guests. I must say, I was impressed with the results. We had 50 pictures of us alone, not to mention video. The picture packages range from $69 for 2 pictures (yes, you read that right) to $349 for "unlimited pictures with a DVD". Guess which one I got. :p

I mean, really, this is a once (or at best a few times) in a lifetime experience...and I want every shot I can lay my hands on. As I stated (and you've seen, because ALL of the pictures I posted of the experience (not the venue) are from this collection.

But, it did leave me rather spent (literally), and I didn't want to hang out much longer...but we had to. Once you decide on your package and you let an attendant know, they write you up a ticket (like a restaurant). Then you take this ticket to the cashier, who then charges you (yes, they do take credit cards...though, if you use Amex, the charge is converted to pesos!). Then the cashier gives you a ticket with a claim number on it and informs you that you should come back in 10 - 15 minutes to pick up your merchandise.

So, since we had some time to wait, we decided to go watch the Dolphins again.

While I was paying, the kid had found a nice (and overpriced, but it is nice) Dolphin necklace and earring set for her mother. She felt guilty that the stone Dolphin necklace we bought at Costa Maya she liked so much that she decided she wanted to keep it, instead of giving it to her mother. So, this was a "make up" gift, I suppose.

I appreciated her good intentions, so even though the price was a bit steep, I still went for it. She also wanted to get two stuffed Dolphins that came as a set. One would be hers, and one her sister's, she explained. Again, I went for it.

From there we decided to go back and watch the Dolphins we just swam with in their tank. I noted that they had shut down all tours...it seems this was lunchtime / afternoon break for the Dolphins!

We sat down at the quaint little bar and I ordered a Dos Equis (I needed something to ease the hit my pocketbook just took!) and the kid got a Fanta Orange. We sipped for a while, and the bartender and the kid got into a conversation about Dolphin trivia. For example, Dolphins never sleep. When half their brain gets tired, the other half wakes up and takes over while that half sleeps, and vice versa. As a result, Dolphins never sleep. I don't know if this is true or not, but it sounds plausible, and would explain a lot!

After burning all that energy swimming and propping up the kid, I was famished. I hadn't intended on getting a meal here (I was offered to stay and eat as we exited the show). I had thought, meh, this will be poorly prepared food and overpriced. I'll skip it.

Man, am I glad I changed my mind. The food was awesome! And VERY reasonably priced (as was the beer / sodas).

I got a steak burrito. It came with homemade guacamole, fresh sour cream, shredded queso fresco, rice with steamed chopped carrots (interesting combo), and black refried beans. They also included dish of extra sides, including pico de gallo (also fresh), extra sour cream, and chimmicurri sauce (with appropriate bite to it...lovely, just lovely!).

This was a great ending for the experience. Sitting there at this quaint little bar while the kid watched the dolphins eating great food and sipping a cold beer with fresh lime squeezed in it.

If you do this experience, I'd recommend not skipping the restaurant. It's fantastic.

They also have "Americanized" items on it, like burgers, fries and chicken nuggets. Guess what the kid ordered...

I sort of wish I'd been there with another adult, because they had a sampler for $27 that included pretty much every Mexican dish on the menu...but, seeing as how, unlike a cow, I only have one stomach, I stuck with my burrito, which was both satisfying and filling.

We ended up hanging out here for an hour and a half (an hour and a half longer than I had expected) just soaking up the atmosphere. Since they had stopped tours, and most of the tourists had left (there was one other family who had hung around afterwards with us...when I struck up conversation, apparently they had done it before, and discovered what I just did as well), the kid got a lot of attention from trainers (including Tomas) who answered her questions, etc.

Of course, they wouldn't let us back near the Dolphins, but she and her new friend (the kid of the other family who stuck around) enjoyed yelling questions down to the trainers as they fed the Dolphins, and she even got a semi-private show when two fo the Dolphins decided they were in a playful mood.

New groups started to show up, and I decided it was time to call it a day. It was only a bit after 2p, but we'd already had a full and active day, and I wanted to be sure I had the kid back on the boat before her excitement / energy cracked and she wanted a nap (yeah, after this mornings activities, I was expecting she would!).

So, we headed back to the boat.

I had noticed this earlier, the prevalence of American brands, and I suppose that must appeal to some people.

I sort of get places like Jimmy Buffett's (even though I'd never do one when on a trip like this), or even Hard Rock Cafe (though I'd never do one again...period!)...

But, this caught my eye...

Who travels all the way to Cozumel...to go to Hooters? I mean, I guess the local community might keep it active and in business...but the way the logo was plastered all over the port, I doubt that is the case. I was half tempted to go in and see what a "Mexican Hooters" looked like, but I had a tired kiddo with me. Maybe...maybe that's the draw? <shrug>

We headed back to the ship and the kid looked exhausted (and frankly I was a bit tired of walking as well), so we paid for one of the rickshaws which wait at the end of the pier to take us back to the ship. It wasn't much faster than walking, but it was more relaxing. These rickshaws work off a tip basis only, and I decided $10 was a fair number for the gentleman who took us for the ride.

The kid provided him with his tip, and he wished us a great day which we did to him in kind. The kid decided she knows some Spanish and said "Bueaners Deez". Yeah...I think we need to work on her pronunciation. <grin> But, he didn't seem mind, and smiled and said "Have a great day, Princess, thank you!" and turned around to pick up his next fare.

This is a good place to interject something I noticed throughout the trip so far. They are constantly cleaning, and constantly doing maintenance. Pressure washing, painting, lacquering, scrubbing, detailing...I've seen all these things on my trip. And, I'm glad to see it. It explains the pristine condition it's kept in, something I deeply enjoy.

I wish I saw a bit more of this at WDW. The schedule they keep this thing running on is proof that consistent preventive maintenance can keep things in operating condition sometimes far better than closing things every year or two for a month or longer to do "refurbs" which are really not much more than PMs that are ignored throughout the standard operating calendar. Not that WDW doesn't do PMs, but...lets just say the difference is obvious.

Another thing I've noticed, and at first it annoyed me until I got the hang of it. You don't have "mousekeeping" here. You have a "Room Steward". And, mine, Carlos is his name, quite literally takes care of your room. You get your room cleaned and made up twice a day. Once in late morning, mid-day and the second during "dinner" as a "turn down". Carlos seems genuinely upset that I gather our dirty towels together into a nice little bundle and put on the bed for him, or that I gather all our dirty trash cans together so it's easy for him to empty them.

One day, day 3 of the cruise I think, he stopped me in the hall when he caught me walking a dirty plate from Flos (a quickservice eatery on Deck 11 by the Mickey Pool / front funnel). He asked what I was doing, and I said I was taking my dirty dish back, as we had brought the meal down to the stateroom with us the night before. He took it from me and said something along the lines of "You are on vacation, enjoy your vacation. If you have any dirty dishes, any at all, just put them outside your door, and I will pick them up. You shouldn't worry about these things when you should be having fun!"

So odd...

Toss in that I get nifty towel animals from him every day (something I haven't seen at WDW in years until this Atrium Club stay at Contemporary, and even then it was just a simple Mickey, not this...

This sounds like I'm railing on WDW, and that's not my intent. It's just such a different experience to have your room cleaned, beds made, and towels replaced not just once a day, but twice a day. At WDW, I might get Mousekeeping twice a week...and even then it's not impressive. No different the past few trips than anything I'd experience at any other hotel (outside of the very understanding Mousekeeper we had last year who was so helpful when the kid got sick in the bed)...

But, it's completely different on the ship...and...I must say...something I could get very used to!

Along those lines, Carlos was putting up the kid's bunk daily, which upset her in the afternoons. So, she took it upon herself to leave Mr. Carlos a note today.

So, when we got back from Cozumel, indeed, her bunk was down, and made up. She crawled up on it, and before I could get her out of her swimsuit (which had dried off since our experience) and her sundress...she had zapped out. I just let her nap, caught up on a few things from work, and organized the various papers (like Navigators, etc) that I've acquired over the past few days.

After about an hour she woke up, and I made her bathe and get fresh (should have done that before letting her sleep in her sheets, but she was done by the time we got back to the room. Final aboard time was 5:30p, and it was only a bit past 3:00p...and tonight was Pirate Night. So, I offered the kid a choice, go do something now and get dressed later, or get dressed now and see how much time we had left to do something before our dinner at Royal Court at 5:45p.

She decided she wanted to get ready. Now, you may be thinking why so long? Well, I had brought nail polish with me (as well as nail polish removal pads, I ain't stupid!). I had planned on doing the kid's nails for her, but she really wanted to do them herself (uh oh)...

Well, I conceded, with the conditions that we put a towel down underneath her and she stay on it, and that the nail polish stays closed when she's not using it and on one of the metal trays that the ice bucket sits on so that if it did spill, I could clean it up. She agreed, and took her sweet time making her digits a mixture of pink and black.

This took about an hour (she REALLY wanted to be sure they were dry!).

The kid's costume came out much better than I could have hoped. She looked spectaculARR (yep, I'm gonna be full of these for the rest of the post)...

My costume, on the other hand, didn't turn out quite as good. The "boots" (which were shoe covers) were floppy and wouldn't stand up right. The hat was nothing like what was pictured on the package, and even after 10 minutes of playing with the internal wire, I couldn't get it to look decent in any way...and don't get me started on the knee length pants!

So, this particular pirate had designARRR shoes and jeans! (see, told you)

Nails done, tattoos applied (I'd brought temp tattoos for me and the kid, she put an anchor on her upper arm, and she decided I should put a skull and crossbones on my lower arm, since my shirt was long sleeved but I'd pushed the sleeves up to my elbows). Jewels / earrings done (likewise, I'd brought a pack of those "jewel" sticky earrings...I ended up with blue stars, the kid with purple hearts).

<Continued Next Post>

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Day 7 - So Long and Thanks for "Arrrr" the Fish! (Part 3)

All this done, we ventured out for our dinner reservation at Royal Court.

Our dinner partners were likewise dressed up, and we took a few moments (or rather the kids did) to compare costumes. My kid was without a sword, but our dinner companion had a spare one from Pirates League earlier in the day, and gave one to her. How awesome! The kid beamed at this, and I was quite grateful. Also, as a nice touch, her costume had included a sash, which worked wonderfully to stow the sword during dinner and afterwards.

So, on to dinner. Tonight was Pirate Night, so we had a Pirate Menu!

For appetizers, I decided on Pearls of the Caribbean, and the kid skipped an appetizer (again).

It was pretty good. It's a cold appetizer which consisted of a butterflied steamed shrimp served on a bed of Couscous mixed with chopped shrimp and raw salmon tossed in a lemon grass vinaigrette served on a bed of cucumber. I enjoyed every bite, and it was quickly gone. Quite a refreshing and light start to the meal.

This was followed, for me, by a Caribbean Style Conch Chowder. This was a very good chowder. The conch was delicious, and melted on the tongue, almost like a well prepared lobster tail, but with a slightly different taste. The broth was well seasoned and buttery. I thoroughly enjoyed this as well.

Now, for the entrees. I got Captain Hook's Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi. This was served with a bed of Jasmine Rice and sauteed with diced pineapple and a mild curry sauce. The dish was ok, but again felt under-seasoned (especially the fish). The dish also included a fried plantain.

All mixed together (basically, mushed everything with my knife and fork so I was sure to get a bit of everything in each bite) it was ok. But, nothing spectacular. I'd skip it if I saw the dish in the future, though I thought the initial presentation was nice!

The kid got a skirt steak with gravy, mac and cheese, vegetables (including a mini "corn on the cob"...which she ate like Tom Hanks did in "big")...and some french fries (which made her day...as usual).

For dessert, the kid had a chocolate brownie, and I ordered the Rum Soaked Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Glaze and Whipped Cream. Coffee was served, but...after 20 minutes, and the Mickeys Pirates of the Caribbean Show quickly approaching in 10 minutes...both myself and my table mates skipped dessert. This disappointed me...as I really was looking forward to this experience.

I'm not sure why it took 20 minutes to bring us (or rather, NOT bring us dessert), but I wasn't thrilled with the experience. I don't really blame the service team, per se, but it would have been nice if they had informed us the BOH / Kitchen was running behind.

Overall, the dinner was ok, but nothing spectacular. Still better than most Table Service at Disney World, so I really shouldn't complain. But certainly not what Animators Palette was a few nights ago.

So, bellys full, it was time to head off to the Pirate Party!

It wasn't nearly as crowded as I had thought it would be, but the areas near the stage were already staked off by excited pirate people! We ended up hanging out on the port (left) side of the stage near the special seating.

When it became obvious to the attendant that only one special needs person was showing up, she went and gathered children (including my kiddo) to fill the rest of the seats. As a result, she had a fantastic view quite literally at the foot of the stage! Myself, not so much, but it wasn't terrible.

The show is campy and fun, and includes a whole range of Disney Characters. Captain Hook is, hands down the heart of the show, though once again I saw fantastic Goofy (go Goofy!) hamming it up both with the audience and on stage. He got especially excited when he spotted someone with pirate goofy ears (like mine!).

After the show, there were several hours of Pirate Themed activities going on all over the ship, but the kid wanted to do the Midship Detective Agency. Se la vie. So, we went off to Deck 5 Midship and registered ourselves.

I must say, I was impressed with the game. First we did the Muppets adventure, and that rushed us all over the ship. It's so funny, some days the kid complains about walking (like in Costa Maya..."Daddy, my feet hurt"), but hand her a Muppet Map and she's running around the decks like there's nothing to it!

We enjoyed the first round so much, we decided to do another mission as we burned time waiting for the Buccaneer Blast (and fireworks). We couldn't finish this mission because our time ran out, but it was loads of fun. I don't want to get into too much detail about the missions, as they are pretty fun with decent plots worthy of an Encyclopedia Brown novel or a good game of Clue.

I will, however, share a few observations.

1) After the first painting when you start the mission, you can go to any painting on the ship you like, but you can't go to the same painting in the same mission twice. If you do, you'll see the same challenge / clue / reveal that you saw before. The only other painting you will be forced to travel to will be the last one in the mission.

This is very nice because you can plan to stop by paintings that are around the things you want or need to do. In fact, it's a good way to get the kid where you need them to be on the ship (for shows, dinner, etc)...though, if you do that, be warned, they may not want to take a stop!

2) The missions are saved, including overnight. So, there is no rush or pressure to do it all at once. If you don't finish a mission, or you need to, or want to, take a break...do it. The mission will pick right back up where you left it as long as you keep your card.

3) Take a moment at each painting to stand in front of it before activating your mission using your card. The paintings are animated, and they are amazing (hello Pirates of the Caribbean, Deck 5 Aft!). If your kid isn't patient enough to do this, take some time yourself and do so.

So, off to the Buccaneer Blast! Again, being used to how these nighttime shows can get crowded at WDW, I was surprised how, when we ARRived (see, I told you I wasn't finished with that) only 10 minutes early, how open the deck still was. Granted it was more crowded than the earlier Mickey show, but we were easily able to snag some great seats mid-deck with a nice view of the main stage and of the Starboard area where the fireworks would be.

The show was loads of fun. Jack SpARRow, of course, made a surprise entrance, and the script, acting and humor was right in line with the movies. I thoughARRly enjoyed it...and taped the whole thing...which, was a mistake.

Why? Well, the fireworks were about to staARRt and I got the dreaded "low battery" warning on my camera! I prayed it would last through at least part of the show, but it wasn't happening. No time to run down to the stateroom and snag a new battery, I was stuck.

I was a bit miffed I won't have that footage for when I work on the video for this years trip, but in a way it was a blessing in disguise. See, I've been taping fireworks for the past few years of trips, and this was the first time since 2010 when I've just sat back, kid in my lap, and watched them! And, it was so worth it, to just sit there and enjoy the experience while holding my dearest in my arms and seeing her gasp and "ooooh" and smile and laugh. Dolphins aside, ARRguably this was the best part of the evening.

Something to be said about doing that, and something I need to remember to do more ARRften.

The show was excellent, though obviously not Magic Kingdom fireworks or Illuminations, but with a tempo that keeps you interested and surprised, and an impressive finale worthy of any Disney show. It was ARRmazing!

After the fireworks, the show wrapped up and they turned the deck into a massive dance party. We hung out for a little while, but the kid wanted to get back to her Midship Mystery, so off we went ARRmed with our map, pencil and card!

We nearly finished (down to the last 3 paintings) when it shut down (yes, the Midship Detective Agency keeps office hours!)...but, as I mentioned before, the mystery is saved in the state you left it. So, we went back to the stateroom, got cleaned up, put on an "ARRon"-demand Disney movie (which, are free, by the way) and soon we had both passed off to dreamland.

Oh, if you didn't get the reference for the Day's title...it's Douglas Adams (Hitchhikers Guide) Adams postulated that Dolphins are really the most intelligent animals on the planet, and they were aware of the pending destruction of earth. So, they disappeared, leaving a cryptic message saying "So long and thanks for all the fish." Since tonight is also Pirate Night...I made it "Arrrrr" the Fish. Yeah, I'm hilarious, I know. Please be sure to tip the bartender, and thank you all for being a great audience!

Next...Day 8 - Is it Crazy to be so Lazy?

Click Below to rejoin the normal stream of the Thread

[URL="http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/englanddgs-surf-and-turf-experience.870261/page-3#post-5647712"]englanddg's Surf and Turf Experience[/URL]

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Day 15 - Do the Danes do it Better? Lego find out! (Part 1)

Magic - 1 (Mini-land)
Peeves - 1 (I will never complain about Disney Maintenance again...ok, yes I will, but...)
Breakfast - Ice Cream (kid)
Lunch - Panini (me)
Dinner - McDonalds, Meatball Sub (me) McDonalds, Nuggets and Fries (kid)
Snacks - 2 Coffees (free) (me)
DP Credits - 27 - 2 = 25 Meal, 24 - 0 = 24 Need $127, used $34.00
Steps - 19,087 Steps, 9.29 Miles, 17 "Very Active" minutes, 3608 Calories Burned

Get ready Peeps, this is gonna be a long one!

This morning we woke, or rather I woke, early. I'd decided after yesterday that I really didn't want to deal with a cab to the Legoland shuttle bus that meets at the Florida Premier Outlets. Plus, having run into quite a few people on the cruise who had tried out Legoland, I really didn't think we'd spend all day there.

Now, I'm very familiar with this park...er...well, I've been there before...back when it was Cypress Gardens. And, I loved it. I had a Floridian Triple Pass (or whatever they called it) where we could go to Sea World, Boardwalk and Baseball (now defunct) and Cypress Gardens, and my Grandparents took advantage of this several summers!

Still, while it's not Disney, but I have lots of memories from this park (including being very bored by the Gardens which my Grandmother adored, and enjoying the water ski show).

When I heard that Lego Group had bought them out, and was planning on converting the park, I was actually very excited. First, I love Lego, second, I am glad to see this park continue to live (unlike it's sister park Boardwalk and Baseball)...

But, none of this is the reason we are going. When I called the kid at the end of the school year she was so excited. She thought she would be spending the whole summer with me (she wasn't going to), but part of her enthusiastic rambles was that she wanted to go see Legoland.

Not Disney...not Universal...Legoland.

Now, I should mention that she did the "Legoland" here in Atlanta last year with her summer camp program, and I'm sure that played into her love for the toys. But, since I love the toys as well, call me a consumer sucker!

So, I made sure we had one day on this trip where we did it! And, today was that day!

Originally I had planned on taking the Legoland Shuttle Bus. This shuttle departs from the Orlando Premium Outlets on Vineland Ave. It costs $5 a person, but it only makes 2 runs. One in the morning to get to Legoland, and one in the evening after Legoland closes. I really wasn't sure that we would stay the whole day, so instead I decided to rent a car. I had run into a lot of people on the Cruise who had done Legoland, and a common theme was that the park really doesn't take up a whole day...so I was partially expecting that we would be done mid to late afternoon.

Bus500pxrnd.png

Anyhow, fate seemed to smile on us as we walked out to snag a taxi to head over to the AAA Car Care Center, as the Alamo Shuttle pulled up just as we were walking up! It seems someone else was renting a car today too, and their timing corresponded with ours!

Excellent!

Once we got there, I asked if they had a convertible. They did! It's a late model Sebring, nice!

The kid especially thought this was cool! Sure, it cost a little bit more than a small car, but when in Florida, gotta do the drop top, right?

The weather was perfect today. Along the way, the kid pointed out a "HIDDEN MICKEY!" Er...I'm not sure how "hidden" it is, but it is certainly a Mickey!

I needed some coffee, so we stopped at a Racetrack Service Station to get some. While here, the kid spied the ice cream machines, and when she found out they had Cookies and Cream, she desperately wanted some!

They had a very cool toppings bar as well. I was impressed!

Ah, soft serve ice cream smothered with chocolate chips! The breakfast of champions!

When you are travelling, be sure to keep an eye out for speed changes. There are a few places where it drops from 60 to 45. There was a police speed trap outside of Dundee (pretty close to the park). Keep an eye out for the speed signs!

As we cruised a song came on the radio that the kid recognized and started singing along. I had never heard it, and she looked at me and said "It's perfect for our trip! It's Rockin' Down The Highway! You don't know this song?"

No...sorry, kiddo, I don't. But, she was right. It was perfect music for our approach to Legoland.

As a side note, I have no idea how she knew this song. I looked it up later and it's a Doobie Brother's song. I actually saw them at Wolf Trap years ago, but somehow don't remember this song at all. Embarrassing! <grin>

Soon we were there!

The first thing that struck me...the place was desolate! Especially since we showed up 30 minutes after Park Opening! The good news was that this meant that parking was painless. Legoland has a few different rates for parking that are in line with what Disney charges.

Cars are $14, Motorcycles are $7, RVs are $15 and "Preferred" is $20. The Preferred lot is literally at the front gates, and all the other lots have to walk through it to get to the Park itself. Not sure if it's worth $5, but if it was a busy day, or if I had a group of smaller kids, I may consider it. But, for us...$14 was more than enough. Especially since the lot was deserted. Here, look!

I took that picture just to show how empty the lot was, but of course the kid wanted to be in the shot!

Legoland's gates are really fun. Be sure to walk around them and take in all the little "hidden" things. At first glance you would think that there isn't much to look at, but there are hidden minifigs doing funny things all over the sign. So, my recommendation, slow down and look up!

Legoland also has a service similar to "photopass" which you can sign up for. We, did not. But, like the Photopass photographers at Disney, they will take pictures for you using your own camera...though, they don't seem very pleased about doing so!

As we approached the ticketing counters, the kiddo had to use the restroom. Since they are clearly visible from the ticket booths, I decided to let her go on her own while I got our tickets.

So, Legoland Tickets. They are not cheap...though they are in line with other theme parks in the area. One Day tickets are $74 for a kid under 13, and $81 for everyone else. For an extra $15 each you can get tickets that are "Water Park Combo" tickets. This, I probably wouldn't do. But, I'll get into that later.

By far the best deal is the Florida Annual Pass, at $99 for kids or adults. This gets you unlimited entry to the park and the water park. But, I'm not a Florida Resident, so...no dice. We got normal one day passes. The line was incredibly short (maybe 10 people comprising 4 to 6 families), and for someone used to DisneyWorld lines, this is nothing!

But, that didn't stop people in line from complaining. One lady in particular obviously didn't want to be there, and made sure that she voiced her displeasure loudly for all the rest of us to hear. "Oh, this line is too long!" Really? Ok...well, I'd love to see what you think of Toy Story Mania on a hot summer Saturday! <grin>

I also spotted these...yep, in central Florida you can't escape Disney ANYWHERE! Also, that's the line off to the right in the picture. See, what did I tell you...nothing to it!

So, tickets in hand I went to wait for the kid outside the restrooms. 5 minutes passed...7 minutes passed...and now I was worried. I cracked the ladies room door open and called inside. She responded. Ok...well...I'll just be patient. Another 5 minutes passed, and now I was getting very concerned. I'd seen several women come and go, and while I suppose it could be a situation that does require time, I couldn't help but be concerned.

Now that she's old enough to go to the restrooms on her own, I must say it is the most nerve wracking experience ever. Even though I know where she is, and what she is doing, and can control the point of entry for the most part...the inability to check on her without feeling like I'm breaking some major social stigma is frustrating, to say the least!

Well, I swallowed that frustration and cracked open the door again...and this time I was greeted with a nice woman trying to help my daughter put her dress on. This is the dress we got in Mexico, and the kid loves it. But, it is a bit of a challenge to put on. Somehow, the kid had gotten her arm lodged pointing straight up through the neckhole and they couldn't get it off!

No wonder she had been taking so long! Well, no biggie. I took her into the mens room and we had her squared away shortly. Thanks to the nice woman who was trying to help her out...I'm sure it was even funnier in the restroom where I couldn't see it. Not that I would DARE laugh at my child...no...never. <grin>

I was Wholly unfamiliar with the park, and had done limited research intentionally. I wanted it all to be just as fresh and new to me as it was to the kid. So, after a quick stop at the park map, we went off to our first ride. I did note showtimes here. I knew I wanted to see the Pirate's Cove show, because this was the old Water Ski show that I used to enjoy. I wanted to experience it! The kiddo was excited that they had Chima. I have no idea what Chima is...but by the end of the day I had a VERY good idea. I'll get more into that later.

So, Chima was where she wanted to go first! However...we passed by the line for Island in the Sky and there was virtually no wait AND they were loading. SCORE!

So far, I'd been impressed with the park. It's smaller than Disney, but you would expect that. The Park Map showed that it had a ton of things to do though, and I was excited. Plus, considering the park was recently renovated, I thought it would still have that "new sparkle" about it. So far, it had...until we approached this, our first ride.

Now, Islands in the Sky is a ride that is a carryover from the Cyprus Gardens days, as I recall. It takes you up 150 feet into the air, and as a first ride at a park we were both not familiar with, I thought this would be a great thing to do.

Well...it wasn't. We got stuck about 10 feet off the ground, for about 20 minutes.

Grand vista, don't you think? A maintenance guy showed up, and later another one (his supervisor I assume) came as well. They fiddled with buttons and jittered the ride hydraulics, while yelling at the ride attendant to try and "balance out the weight". Now, my guess is that the ride has a safety trigger that had been depressed, which kept up from going up. That's fine...the issue is...it also kept us from going DOWN!

We did get to make a full revolution though. My glorious view was of the mostly empty, swampy pool under the ride. It...was disgusting.

That's a GOOD picture of it. On the other side there's swamp scum. It did help a bit though because my kid and the kid next to her had fun spotting the water snakes (yes, there are water snakes that live in that pool). Now, I took all this with a grain of salt. But, I do hope it's something that Park Operations / Maintenance addresses in the future, and it made me appreciate the maintenance at Disney all the more. That being said, had the ride operated properly, I most likely wouldn't have given it a second thought, and certainly not gone on so long about it in this report! <grin>

So, moving on. They finally got us unstuck, and as we departed we were given a "jump the line" pass good for any ride throughout the day. Nice offering, I appreciated it. But, as you will see, it turned out we never needed to use it. The park was desolate! The longest wait we had was still under 5 minutes, and most rides we quite literally walked on to!

Not wanting to try a ride quite yet, as I was processing if this bode well for the rest of our day, we went over to the Lego Factory. I had read about this, and was excited to see Lego blocks being made. There is so much cool stuff they could do with this. Like the miniature bottling plant at World of Coke here in Atlanta, I was pumped.

<Continued Next Post>

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom