Energy changes . . .

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Mecha Figment said:
all i know is i really really really hate the ellen storyline with jepordy. it's sooooo boring. At least the old version had a sence of awe and amazment to it. now its' oh hahah look at the funny dinosaurs haha. when i remember with the old show it's oh wow!!!
I feel your pain. I agree.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
im so glad this is back up. the last 2 visit to epcot for me, UoE has been down or under rehab (Ellen version). i havent ridden it since 1994.

please stay up during september. :D

YO martin. whats up? :wave:

EpcotMark

I think the thing missing the most from the original show is the song "Universe of Energy" by Al Kasha and Joel Hirschhorn. We need to bring that back some how. It was so exciting.:)

Buried20KLeague

CThaddeus said:
Funny, I feel exactly the opposite. The current one teaches and entertains. I still laugh at the jokes, and I still look forward to them. Ellen and Jeopardy give this show modern relevance people can relate to. And those who claim no one knows who Bill Nye is anymore obviously don't watch PBS; he's still on every day here.
The original was a long, boring high school science film. If it were any more dry, there would have been cactus growing in the theater. Its only saving grace was being bookended by two great songs.
I took some friends on the Ellen version two weeks ago (the day before it closed) and it turned out to be one of their favorites of all of the attractions at Disney World. The mother couldn't stop talking about it, and both of the children (ages 6 and 9) recognized all of the main actors in the show (even Michael Richards). I hope this show stays in its current form for years to come. It still has a lot to give.

I agree, and like this version a lot more than the first.

But the problem with it is that in it's current state, it's not "timeless". I think this has been discussed before. Disney has always made movies and attractions that wouldn't get "dated" (i.e. Pirates, HM, Splash)... And the popular feeling is that they first broke that rule with the movie "Aladdin"... All the Robin Williams jokes that 50 years from now no one will get. Then it bled over to attractions, with this one as an example. While the gags are still recognizable and funny right now, the longer the attraction stays like this, the less relavent it will become and something will need to be done. Even now, when people see it, it's easy to recognize it's been that way for a good while. It's only going to get worse.

WDW Kip

Buried20KLeague said:
I agree, and like this version a lot more than the first.

But the problem with it is that in it's current state, it's not "timeless". I think this has been discussed before. Disney has always made movies and attractions that wouldn't get "dated" (i.e. Pirates, HM, Splash)... And the popular feeling is that they first broke that rule with the movie "Aladdin"... All the Robin Williams jokes that 50 years from now no one will get. Then it bled over to attractions, with this one as an example. While the gags are still recognizable and funny right now, the longer the attraction stays like this, the less relavent it will become and something will need to be done. Even now, when people see it, it's easy to recognize it's been that way for a good while. It's only going to get worse.
Great point about the timelessness of attractions being important. While I've always loved Cranium Command, it too had many pop culture references that were only relevant when it first came out. Now it seems a little antiquated, which is one reason why it's shutting down.

However, I would argue that, given the nature of Future World as a vision of the future that is constantly changing, that some more current references etc. might be ok if the attractions are made with the intent of changing them a few years later.

CThaddeus

The problem with the theme of the pavilion is that it is discussing current energy problems and possible solutions. As long as there is progress in the world, this attraction would always become stale and outdated after some time. In ten years, the idea of nuclear or oil energy may take a back burner to some as of yet undiscovered miracle energy source. All of our thinking may change.
Currently, I see no need for an update of Ellen's Energy Adventure. There are only two things that even look dated to me - Alex Trebek no longer has a moustache, and the "Jeopardy" set is now much more high tech. Frankly, I don't think any joke in the show will be outdated any time soon...and I feel the actors are all still known very (if not extremely) well. Even if everyone suddenly forgot who Ellen is tomorrow would it really matter? You don't have to know the person starring in the attraction to enjoy it.
I think this pavilion could survive quite nicely for at least another ten years without any fear of the jokes not being funny or relevant anymore. If anything, it's going to be our science that might make it behind the times. Then, I'll agree, an update would be in order at that time. For now, leave it alone and focus on Journey Into Your Imagination with Figment, getting Wonders of Life re-opened, and maybe ADDING a few attractions/pavilions rather than just replacing the good ones. My twenty cents' worth...

dxwwf3

I like both versions of the UoE. I enjoy the old one much better now that I am older and can appreciate it more (from videos mostly by Martin of course), but I also think that EEA is just as good in a totally different way. I think it tells a story in a great way and it is one of the few times that I find Ellen actually funny. I wouldn't be against any changes that might come to the pavilion in the future, but I have enjoyed what the UoE has given us so far.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom