"Encanto" Coming Fall 2021

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Which totally makes up for the fact that the movie is a box-office flop. :D As for Disney+, what does "Disney" get out of having the flick on its streaming service? That service is a money pit. Loses tons of money. Will the subscribers who signed up to see Encanto stick around? We'll see...

D+ is operating in the red because of the huge wads of cash being thrown at the infrastructure to have it available in just about every country in the world (like Netflix is) and to have enough new content to draw people in. It's an investment. Subs (and sub fees) keep going up. It is projected to be profitable (just like their linear channels are profitable) in 2024. If Wall Street didn't think Disney could reach that goal, DIS stock would be a whole lot worse than it is now.

This is exactly what happened to Netflix which was in the red for years and years until it finally made a profit. Altho, it's back in the red because of all the money they're spending on new content to keep up in the Streaming Wars due to so many studios shunting their movies away from Netflix to their own corporate-linked streaming channel.

Also... Disney's increase in subs was slowing last Fall, and a month after Encanto hit the service... subs jumped and beat expectations. So, there's a financial benefit to having the world's number one ear worm on your service.

You know, you can simply say you don't like Encanto without trying to make it sound like (falsely) that a lot of other people also hate it (despite the soundtrack being the number one billboard album for over a month) or to make claims that its success doesn't have financial rewards for Disney.

I'm sorry you feel so uncomfortable having a minority opinion.

Magenta Panther

D+ is operating in the red because of the huge wads of cash being thrown at the infrastructure to have it available in just about every country in the world (like Netflix is) and to have enough new content to draw people in. It's an investment. Subs (and sub fees) keep going up. It is projected to be profitable (just like their linear channels are profitable) in 2024. If Wall Street didn't think Disney could reach that goal, DIS stock would be a whole lot worse than it is now.

This is exactly what happened to Netflix which was in the red for years and years until it finally made a profit. Altho, it's back in the red because of all the money they're spending on new content to keep up in the Streaming Wars due to so many studios shunting their movies away from Netflix to their own corporate-linked streaming channel.

Also... Disney's increase in subs was slowing last Fall, and a month after Encanto hit the service... subs jumped and beat expectations. So, there's a financial benefit to having the world's number one ear worm on your service.

You know, you can simply say you don't like Encanto without trying to make it sound like (falsely) that a lot of other people also hate it (despite the soundtrack being the number one billboard album for over a month) or to make claims that its success doesn't have financial rewards for Disney.

I'm sorry you feel so uncomfortable having a minority opinion.

Where did I say that a lot of people also hate it? Do point that out to me. Because, if I did, I didn't intend to. I am well aware that many people do like it. They didn't bother to show up in great enough numbers at theaters to make it profitable, of course - such a trivial matter! - but it's certainly become a fad elsewhere. (Supposedly, people avoided it because it looked like "Coco" but starring a girl...which makes one wonder how popular "Coco" really was...)

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Where did I say that a lot of people also hate it? Do point that out to me. Because, if I did, I didn't intend to. I am well aware that many people do like it. They didn't bother to show up in great enough numbers at theaters to make it profitable, of course - such a trivial matter! - but it's certainly become a fad elsewhere. (Supposedly, people avoided it because it looked like "Coco" but starring a girl...which makes one wonder how popular "Coco" really was...)
Oh, I knew nothing I said would get thru to you. You weren't my audience. Good day.

Sir_Cliff

Great now can Orlando get something now beyond a janky a$$ garden during the Flower and Garden Festival and inauthentic Colombian food from the adjacent booth 👀

Like a meet and greet with Mirabel would be nice here too just saying 👀👀
I really don't know why they are so timid in promoting their new animated films these days.

They used to put on entire parades before the films even opened, now they are reluctant to open a meet and greet until well after a film is a proven success. This particular DL Encanto show raises the interesting question of why they don't even use the projection technology to put on a relatively cheap pre-show for the fireworks to promote new films when they come out.

mf1972

finally got around to watching it, & just found it to be ok. beautifully animated, but i didn’t enjoy it as much as i have other disney animated movies. congrats for its oscar win. i wont take that away from those who worked on the film. perhaps i’ll watch it again at some point, but wasn’t that impressed on my first viewing.

BrianLo

Netflix is still in the black. The rest is true, the last quarter operating margins were less than a year ago on the back of content spending. But revenue was ahead, net income and EPS.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Who said it wasn't profitable?

It earned $229M in theaters against a $50M budget. Sure it didn't make it to the $1B club, but it didn't lose money either. And had it had a longer exclusive run in theaters it likely would have made a whole lot money.

And as has been pointed out it has been a huge success in streaming numbers, which equates to subs.

This doesn't even mention the merch sales, song downloads, and other ancillary markets such as PVOD.

So in reality for a film you claim wasn't profitable, I would guess it'll probably end up netting Disney close to a $1B when its all said and done. Which is probably the exact reason why Disney said its their next franchise.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Billboard’s Greatest of All Time Disney Songs Chart
Rank, Title, Artist, Movie, Hot 100 Peak Position/Year
1. “We Don’t Talk About Bruno,” Carolina Gaitán, Mauro Castillo, Adassa, Rhenzy Feliz, Diane Guerrero, Stephanie Beatriz & Encanto Cast, Encanto (No. 1, 2022)​
2. “Can You Feel the Love Tonight,” Elton John, The Lion King (No. 4, 1994)​
3. “A Whole New World (Aladdin’s Theme),” Peabo Bryson & Regina Belle, Aladdin (No. 1, one week, 1993)​
4. “Let It Go,” Idina Menzel, Frozen (No. 5, 2014)​
5. “Colors of the Wind,” Vanessa Williams, Pocahontas (No. 4, 1995)​
6. “Beauty and the Beast,” Celine Dion & Peabo Bryson, Beauty and the Beast (No. 9, 1992)​
7. “Surface Pressure,” Jessica Darrow, Encanto (No. 8, 2022)​
8. “Circle of Life,” Elton John, The Lion King (No. 18, 1994)​
9. “Go the Distance,” Michael Bolton, Hercules (No. 24, 1997)​
10. “You’ll Be in My Heart,” Phil Collins, Tarzan (No. 21, 1999)​
Encanto is up to 15 Billion minutes watched on D+. And that stat was from four weeks ago.

Magenta Panther

Who said it wasn't profitable?

It earned $229M in theaters against a $50M budget. Sure it didn't make it to the $1B club, but it didn't lose money either. And had it had a longer exclusive run in theaters it likely would have made a whole lot money.

And as has been pointed out it has been a huge success in streaming numbers, which equates to subs.

This doesn't even mention the merch sales, song downloads, and other ancillary markets such as PVOD.

So in reality for a film you claim wasn't profitable, I would guess it'll probably end up netting Disney close to a $1B when its all said and done. Which is probably the exact reason why Disney said its their next franchise.

LOL, "$50M budget". Where did you get that? No way that flick only cost 50 million, given the way it looks. "Sing 2" cost $85 million! According to the site The Numbers.com:

Opening Weekend:$27,206,494 (28.3% of total gross)
Legs:3.53 (domestic box office/biggest weekend)
Domestic Share:41.9% (domestic box office/worldwide)
Production Budget:$150,000,000 (worldwide box office is 1.5 times production budget)
Theater counts:3,980 opening theaters/3,980 max. theaters, 6.9 weeks average run per theater
Infl. Adj. Dom. BO$96,074,893

So! Given that, according to Hollywood arithmetic, a movie has to make at least twice its budget to break even, Encanto is a box-office flop.

Oooh, and even more bad news. The flick bombed in China, a big market. Here's the take from Variety.com:

Maoyan currently estimates “Encanto” will gross $6.68 million over the course of its full mainland run, which may feel like a drop in the bucket for the well-received yet expensive film that has failed to break even at the box office.

(mic drop).

tcool123

LOL, "$50M budget". Where did you get that? No way that flick only cost 50 million, given the way it looks. "Sing 2" cost $85 million! According to the site The Numbers.com:

Production Budget:$150,000,000 (worldwide box office is 1.5 times production budget)
Theater counts:3,980 opening theaters/3,980 max. theaters, 6.9 weeks average run per theater

So! Given that, according to Hollywood arithmetic, a movie has to make at least twice its budget to break even, Encanto is a box-office flop.

Oooh, and even more bad news. The flick bombed in China, a big market. Here's the take from Variety.com:

Maoyan currently estimates “Encanto” will gross $6.68 million over the course of its full mainland run, which may feel like a drop in the bucket for the well-received yet expensive film that has failed to break even at the box office.

(mic drop).
Yet it was one of the highest grossing films in 2021...I think it points more to the fact that the 2021 box office as a whole was not healthy enough for the typical tentpole films.

1649439575089.png

Domestic -

1649439619195.png

Disney Analyst

(mic drop).

Oh for goodness sake, get out of here. Context is everything, and you are being completely disingenuous.

Last year was a disaster for movies, apart from Spider-Man when most theatres were finally reopened.

Encanto is a smash hit, specifically since it went on Disney+ - and would have been a financial theatrical hit had we not been in a pandemic.

(mic drop).

Disney Irish

Premium Member

(mic drop).
IMDB lists its budget as estimated 50M, which I would trust over "thenumbers".

The $120-150M number being thrown around in the trades appears to include the marketing, which again is all estimates.

Disney has at least broken even on it as they haven't stated they had to write down any loss for the film, which they are required to do if they lost money on it.

Also we know that "Hollywood Math" has always been "fuzzy". So these estimates that are being thrown around could be way off.

Long story short just because you personally didn't like it doesn't mean it was actually flop. The fact that Disney has stated this is their next franchise should tell you they don't see it as a flop.

Magenta Panther

Oh for goodness sake, get out of here. Context is everything, and you are being completely disingenuous.

Last year was a disaster for movies, apart from Spider-Man when most theatres were finally reopened.

Encanto is a smash hit, specifically since it went on Disney+ - and would have been a financial theatrical hit had we not been in a pandemic.

(mic drop).

(pics up mic) Sorry, but your say-so means squat. Context doesn't matter where dollars are concerned. Conjecture doesn't win the day. Your assertions aren't based on fact. A "smash hit" isn't a smash hit if it doesn't make money. Disney airing its own content on its money-losing streaming channel isn't much of a win.

(mic drop).

Magenta Panther

IMDB lists its budget as estimated 50M, which I would trust over "thenumbers".

The $120-150M number being thrown around in the trades appears to include the marketing, which again is all estimates.

Disney has at least broken even on it as they haven't stated they had to write down any loss for the film, which they are required to do if they lost money on it.

Also we know that "Hollywood Math" has always been "fuzzy". So these estimates that are being thrown around could be way off.

Long story short just because you personally didn't like it doesn't mean it was actually flop. The fact that Disney has stated this is their next franchise should tell you they don't see it as a flop.

Yeah, I'd take "thenumbers" AND Variety over IMDB any day. And do you know nothing about the cost of animation? Frozen cost 150 million to make! Do you seriously believe that Encanto cost only a third of that?

Dream on, silly dreamer.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah, I'd take "thenumbers" AND Variety over IMDB any day. And do you know nothing about the cost of animation? Frozen cost 150 million to make! Do you seriously believe that Encanto cost only a third of that?

Dream on, silly dreamer.
Well again, just because you personally didn't like it doesn't mean it was actually flop. The fact that Disney has stated this is their next franchise should tell you they don't see it as a flop.

Disney Analyst

(pics up mic) Sorry, but your say-so means squat. Context doesn't matter where dollars are concerned. Conjecture doesn't win the day. Your assertions aren't based on fact. A "smash hit" isn't a smash hit if it doesn't make money. Disney airing its own content on its money-losing streaming channel isn't much of a win.

(mic drop).

Lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom