Emergency Evacuation Procedures at Disney's Polynesian Villas

SpaceMountain77

Original Poster
Hello everyone,

Today, we experienced a truly challenging day at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort. Shortly after 10:00 am this morning, we lost power in Pago Pago. Aside from affecting the amenities in the studio, such as air conditioning and lighting, the loss of power affected both the elevator and sliding glass doors. We were on the third floor and the locked sliding glass doors prevented us from evacuating Pago Pago. Moreover, my mom, an 84-year-old woman with a hip replacement, was informed that she would have to walk down the stairs to exit the building. It seemed as though we had no choice and, because we were unaware of the ramifications of the situation, she walked the three flights. Upon getting into her wheelchair on the ground level, she felt sore and lightheaded. The cast member that aided in the evacuation apologized and wished us a nice day.

After the stair experience, I went to the front desk to inquire about the possibility of another room. Initially, the cast member was unaware of the blackout and, after some back and forth with her supervisor, informed me that there was nothing that could be done. Frustrated and unsure of how to proceed, I called DVC member services and spoke to a manager. The manager informed me that Reedy Creek cast members should have responded to assist my mom and a short-term room offered for her to rest. Although I was told that someone from the resort would call, no one responded.

Power was still out when we returned to the resort after 5:00pm. We were told that power would be restored shortly, but it took about an hour for it to finally come on. In the time that had past until it did, we were again without power and the elevator, which had come back online briefly, was out again. Reedy Creek was dispatched to help my mom down from the third floor, but they ended up using the elevator because it came back online during the time it took for them to respond. Ultimately, we were moved, but it was only after much frustration and aggravation.

With this post, it is my intent to note several things. Regarding safety, it is certainly alarming to know that the sliding glass doors cannot be opened when power is lost; the doors need to be opened from the outside by a cast member. If an emergency evacuation is required in Pago Pago, second and third floor guests would need to jump from the balconies, break the glass doors, or wait for a ladder rescue.

I know things happen, but there should always be some type of policy or procedure in place to ensure guest safety during an outage. Not everyone can spend 7 hours in the parks on a 90 degree day waiting for power to be restored. Moreover, it is reasonable to expect older guests and guests with disabilities to require some assistance after walking three flights of stairs.

Finally, when there is a problem, it is truly challenging to be a DVC member because there is no one at the resort to advocate for us. There were many “I am sorry, but there is nothing that I can do” responses before my mom had air conditioning and a place to rest. Prior to our move, several cast members made a clear distinction between the Villas and the Village.

As a DVC member, my only expectation is a clean, well-maintained room. Today, I never asked the cast members for anything other than a place for my mom to rest because the evacuation walk significantly affected her. I did not ask for an upgrade, free dining or even a Dole whip; I just wanted her to be comfortable. Although we are grateful to have a functioning room, the initial and continued response today was truly frustrating. As was stated by the DVC member services manager, we may be DVC members, but we are guests of Disney’s Polynesian Resort.

Jim

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Hello everyone,

Today, we experienced a truly challenging day at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort. Shortly after 10:00 am this morning, we lost power in Pago Pago. Aside from affecting the amenities in the studio, such as air conditioning and lighting, the loss of power affected both the elevator and sliding glass doors. We were on the third floor and the locked sliding glass doors prevented us from evacuating Pago Pago. Moreover, my mom, an 84-year-old woman with a hip replacement, was informed that she would have to walk down the stairs to exit the building. It seemed as though we had no choice and, because we were unaware of the ramifications of the situation, she walked the three flights. Upon getting into her wheelchair on the ground level, she felt sore and lightheaded. The cast member that aided in the evacuation apologized and wished us a nice day.

After the stair experience, I went to the front desk to inquire about the possibility of another room. Initially, the cast member was unaware of the blackout and, after some back and forth with her supervisor, informed me that there was nothing that could be done. Frustrated and unsure of how to proceed, I called DVC member services and spoke to a manager. The manager informed me that Reedy Creek cast members should have responded to assist my mom and a short-term room offered for her to rest. Although I was told that someone from the resort would call, no one responded.

Power was still out when we returned to the resort after 5:00pm. We were told that power would be restored shortly, but it took about an hour for it to finally come on. In the time that had past until it did, we were again without power and the elevator, which had come back online briefly, was out again. Reedy Creek was dispatched to help my mom down from the third floor, but they ended up using the elevator because it came back online during the time it took for them to respond. Ultimately, we were moved, but it was only after much frustration and aggravation.

With this post, it is my intent to note several things. Regarding safety, it is certainly alarming to know that the sliding glass doors cannot be opened when power is lost; the doors need to be opened from the outside by a cast member. If an emergency evacuation is required in Pago Pago, second and third floor guests would need to jump from the balconies, break the glass doors, or wait for a ladder rescue.

I know things happen, but there should always be some type of policy or procedure in place to ensure guest safety during an outage. Not everyone can spend 7 hours in the parks on a 90 degree day waiting for power to be restored. Moreover, it is reasonable to expect older guests and guests with disabilities to require some assistance after walking three flights of stairs.

Finally, when there is a problem, it is truly challenging to be a DVC member because there is no one at the resort to advocate for us. There were many “I am sorry, but there is nothing that I can do” responses before my mom had air conditioning and a place to rest. Prior to our move, several cast members made a clear distinction between the Villas and the Village.

As a DVC member, my only expectation is a clean, well-maintained room. Today, I never asked the cast members for anything other than a place for my mom to rest because the evacuation walk significantly affected her. I did not ask for an upgrade, free dining or even a Dole whip; I just wanted her to be comfortable. Although we are grateful to have a functioning room, the initial and continued response today was truly frustrating. As was stated by the DVC member services manager, we may be DVC members, but we are guests of Disney’s Polynesian Resort.

Jim

Unfortunately your experience is far too typical of WDW 'service' or rather the lack thereof today, I would DEMAND to have your points refunded for at least today as Disney did not deliver a usable room for hours

flynnibus

Premium Member
Where are these glass doors you mention? And how do they obstruct your path? I've not been in these buildings and am curious.

There is always the expectation that you will have to use the stairs in the case of fire or power issues. And as the staff mentioned, EMS will help those in need (Disney won't let staff do it.. they call EMS to do it).

At the end, you say you never asked for anything more than a place for your mom to rest, where earlier you ask for a room swap. Are you sure the 'there is nothing we can do' wasn't actually a response to the request to change rooms? For which if they do not have any rooms available on the ground floor, what would the preference be?

I can understand the frustration when dealing with a family member who is struggling.. and it sounds like once they understood the specifics they made some additional accomodations for you.

It sounds like if this is a recurring concern for your family, you should be booking accessible rooms.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The main door into the longhouse. You can see it at the far right of http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/the...nesian-village-resort-deluxe-studio/23758.htm

Then there is no way that couldn't be openable. It's a fire exit. They would never pass inspection as fire exits can not be blocked and must always be able to open.

Sure maybe someone didn't know how to manually operate the door, but if the door is not easily bypassed.. it's a death trap. I find it hard to believe RCID and their inspectors would miss that.

Maybe there are fire exits in the stairwells as well? Or other points of egress (follow the exit signs...)

MMDVC

The Polynesian is getting lots of reports of guest dis/satisfaction along with reports of great satisfaction.
I think all guests should have satisfactory reports at this newest DVC. Sorry but have a magical stay anyway is not Disney ... At this price range all the kinks should be worked out by now. A person has just reported No water in Poly Bungalow with no forewarning at 8 a.m. No showers no coffee No clue from front desk!

SpaceMountain77

Original Poster
Pago Pago has 7 entrances/exits: 3 on the first floor, 2 on the second and 2 on the third. All exits are sliding glass doors. Hawaii, for example, has a stairwell with single push-bar doors, but this is not a feature in Pago Pago. There were several families that tried to open the doors on the third floor, but none of them were successful. Moreover, when the cast members responded, only the doors on the east side of the building were opened by cast members because the doors on the west side could not be opened. Perhaps some of the doors open with a simple push. Unfortunately, the doors at Pago Pago required cast member assistance and could only be opened from the outside on the east side.

Yes, there is a degree of personal responsibility with travel. However, at the time of check-in, the only available rooms were located on the second and third floor. As I am sure you know, first floor requests are noted but not guaranteed. To guarantee a first floor room, we have been regularly told that one would need to book a handicapped accessible villa. Unfortunately, DVC resorts do not offer the Florida Special design that is offered on the regular resort side. All DVC handicapped accessible villas have roll in showers, the Florida Special design has a shower with multiple support rails. We need the rails, not the roll-in design, so we do not book the DVC accessible villas. Also, it is worth noting that not all handicapped accessible rooms are located on the ground floor, the location varies by resort. At the Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, handicapped accessible studios are located on the first, third and fourth floors.

If the building was on fire, then yes, my mom should have used the stairs. However, this was not the case as there was no pressing emergency. Reedy Creek should have been called to assist her during the outage evacuation.

Regarding the doors, if roughly a dozen people are unable to open a door and exit a building safely, then it is certainly a safety concern.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Pago Pago has 7 entrances/exits: 3 on the first floor, 2 on the second and 2 on the third. All exits are sliding glass doors. Hawaii, for example, has a stairwell with single push-bar doors, but this is not a feature in Pago Pago. There were several families that tried to open the doors on the third floor, but none of them were successful. Moreover, when the cast members responded, only the doors on the east side of the building were opened by cast members because the doors on the west side could not be opened. Perhaps some of the doors open with a simple push. Unfortunately, the doors at Pago Pago required cast member assistance and could only be opened from the outside on the east side.

Yes, there is a degree of personal responsibility with travel. However, at the time of check-in, the only available rooms were located on the second and third floor. As I am sure you know, first floor requests are noted but not guaranteed. To guarantee a first floor room, we have been regularly told that one would need to book a handicapped accessible villa. Unfortunately, DVC resorts do not offer the Florida Special design that is offered on the regular resort side. All DVC handicapped accessible villas have roll in showers, the Florida Special design has a shower with multiple support rails. We need the rails, not the roll-in design, so we do not book the DVC accessible villas. Also, it is worth noting that not all handicapped accessible rooms are located on the ground floor, the location varies by resort. At the Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, handicapped accessible studios are located on the first, third and fourth floors.

If the building was on fire, then yes, my mom should have used the stairs. However, this was not the case as there was no pressing emergency. Reedy Creek should have been called to assist her during the outage evacuation.

Regarding the doors, if roughly a dozen people are unable to open a door and exit a building safely, then it is certainly a safety concern.

I'd assume the doors are secured by maglocks which are supposed to disengage if the fire alarm is sounding, Hence only the CM's could open the doors - perhaps a malfunction prevented the maglocks from disengaging automatically or the alarm severity did not permit maglock disengagement.

SpaceMountain77

Original Poster
I'd assume the doors are secured by maglocks which are supposed to disengage if the fire alarm is sounding, Hence only the CM's could open the doors - perhaps a malfunction prevented the maglocks from disengaging automatically or the alarm severity did not permit maglock disengagement.

The fire alarms never sounded because it was only an outage. Perhaps the alarm was necessary to release the doors?

mousehockey37

I think you should send a letter, like this, when your trip is over. Make sure you also fill out your review at the end. If you continue to address the issue in a reasonable manner, hopefully you will get somewhere! I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!!

Hello everyone,

Jim

The OP is still there.... I wouldn't wait til you got back. If you can get in touch and meet with someone from DVC face to face about this situation and deal with Disney/Poly about it, that's the way to go. Nothing gets something solved faster than being there in person. They can't hang up on you or transfer you when you're at their desk, with a DVC rep.

mousehockey37

Probably - but one would think that in the event of an evacuation there would be a procedure to open all the emergency exits quickly, Seems like CM training needs to be upgraded.

Well, in the event of an actual emergency, if a sliding GLASS door can't be opened.. I'd fully expect someone to put a fire extinguisher or other blunt, heavy object THROUGH the door... They can replace the glass, not the people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom