Echo Lake Refurbishment

Magenta Panther

I think all traces of quasi-Lucasland@DHS will be erased fairly quickly after SW:GE opens. And @Magenta Panther will get his dream of actual Disney characters claiming that land for their own.

Of course, what that means for DAK will cause him to blow a gasket. But, what evs.

Well, I don't much care about DAK anyway, since there will never be a Beastly Kingdomme. Or a Pride Lands, or a Jungle Book ride, or anything exciting like that. It wouldn't surprise me if TDO is determined to shove Indy in there, because shallow purchased-IP exploitation is what Chappie is all about apparently. But I honestly do appreciate your telling us that genuine Disney will have a stronger presence in DHS. That honestly made my day. Thank you!

doctornick

The whole land is supposed to be set in the same time period at the new movies, and from everything they have said they want to land to tell one large cohesive story. If they stick to that it wouldn't make sense to have characters like Darth Vader in the land since he wasn't around in that time period. The Star Wars hotel on the other hand could focus on the original trilogy time period.

It all depends on the execution, but they could use the same premise as the current Jedi Training in order to have Darth Vader included in some sort of attraction (i.e. that he's a manifestation of a person's fear via the Force). But it is tough to say how the Force and Jedi will be used in the new land given the timeframe involved; we'll have to see how the mythology is used in The Last Jedi. Episode IX won't come out until after the land opens so the conceptualization of the land likely will be based on The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

I'd like to see something in the vein of Jedi Training though in the new land.

Isn't the premise of the MF ride that Hondo from Clone Wars approaches Chewbacca about a mission that we then go on with him? Maybe that was an old rumor and not true.

Hondo is still alive as of Star Wars Rebels. Don't know how long lived his species is, but Wookies (Chewie) have been shown to live long enough as adults to be a part of the prequels, original trilogy and sequels. Hondo could still be around and swindling at the time of the current trilogy.
Even though it may seem a little SW heavy for some (and come at a loss..sniff sniff... of Muppets) I would not be shocked to see that once SWL opens and is a smashing success, that they use the echo lake area and muppets area for Star Wars expansion, especially focusing on the original trilogy. You can't tell me DIS has not considered it. Imagine a ride themed to Jabba the hut, or a Yoda experience, etc. Just how Potter keep eating up more property at Universal, I see the same for SW. They could even use the expansion place by Indy...

At some point, there will be a Star Wars expansion in DHS beyond this initial land. Whether it be an expansion of GE or a new land. Perhaps even in a different park, but I'd personally just as soon keep Star Wars in the one park. As long as they have other additions to DHS in the meantime, I think they can avoid feeling like DHS is "all" Star Wars. But it would take actually building at least 1 if not 2 other full fledged lands and updating other existing stuff.

And I would agree with having another Star Wars area that is set in the time of the original trilogy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hondo is still alive as of Star Wars Rebels. Don't know how long lived his species is, but Wookies (Chewie) have been shown to live long enough as adults to be a part of the prequels, original trilogy and sequels. Hondo could still be around and swindling at the time of the current trilogy.
I guess that's the premise and the droids can be around forever too. I just didn't realize they would limit this land to only new movie characters. Not sure how I missed that concept. Seems like a huge wasted opportunity. I envisioned this to be an outpost on the outer rim with regular inhabitants but where anyone might happen to stop by. At least they crammed a bunch of the most popular good guy characters into the new trilogy so they are in play to show up but I'll miss the villains. No Vader, no Darth Maul, no Bobba Fet no emperor.

doctornick

IMHO Indy just needs a makeover. Access to the expansion pad behind is still available (always has been) and potentially into the parking lot.

I don't think the concept of a stunt show fits with the current thrust of the park and I think Indy is wasted for that premise anyway. If they want to set up a movie making part of the park, I suppose some sort of stunt show could work, but it's not really my thing so I personally don't care that much.

I do, however, think that Indy is woefully underutilized in WDW where ironically they have so much space to work with. IMHO it's criminal that they don't have a proper ride -- or even a full land -- for that IP. It's got a broad appeal and a very timeless aspect to it that makes it a great choice for theme park use.

Plus they have two fully functional theatres wasting their full potential.

I'd be curious as to which theaters you are referring to. One I would assume is Sounds Dangerous and I would hope that will get a proper show (or use the space for something else) once SW:GE finally opens.

I think if they would update (or fully utilize) some of the other theaters, then losing Indy wouldn't be a big deal. Why isn't there something permanent in the "flex" theater. Or a daytime show at Fantasmic! which was long rumored?

doctornick

I think all traces of quasi-Lucasland@DHS will be erased fairly quickly after SW:GE opens. And @Magenta Panther will get his dream of actual Disney characters claiming that land for their own.

Of course, what that means for DAK will cause him to blow a gasket. But, what evs.

It strikes me as completely bizarre that they would be considering putting Indy in DAK when DHS needs more help and Indy is a better fit there (and already has a presence so there would be some continuity). It's not like Disney doesn't have other IPs that would actually fit well in DAK (e.g. Jungle Book, Bambi, Tarzan, Pocahontas, etc.).

But I am happy that Dr. Jones seems to be on the radar as a topic for WDW. Seems like a no brainer to me. Just use it properly.

matt9112

Echo lake area makes for a logical phase 3 of the rebuild. Because of a lack of capacity they probably don't want to take Indy show, Star Tours or even the Frozen sing along down until SW and Mickey are open. It would be logical that the echo lake section would be rethemed to whatever they retheme Star Tours to. One thing that I found odd is that they didn't add some sort of facility for Jedi Training Academy into the new SW Land.

I think the entire lake area should be rewrapped with the Hollywood blvd theme with some variation ofcourse.
those theaters could be rewrapped and turned into some nice merch locations (think sunset blvd) maybe another place like the tap house? could even put in some access to the ally behind them so you can enter from the ABC side. retheme the abc commisioonairy to be less studio and more Hollywood that never was. maybe some light strings going across the walk way and all new art deco theme. really add another branch of Hollywood before hitting the IPs.

matt9112

The actual lake with Hollywood & Vine and 50s Prime Time is fine, but the theatres need to be utilized, Indy and Backlot razed and Star Tours rethemed or also razed. And how you update these areas while also seamlessly fitting in the replacement with what works... That's a curiosity.

maybe the same Hollywood theme as the rest of the front entry ? I think echo lake is way too close to front entry to theme wildly to some random flavor of the month IP or eat up as an expansion for SW....i think somebody mentioned a phase 3? yeah how many of those does Disney build? would love it if they wrapped the theme that follows Hollywood blvd and sunset into this area tighter. discard all that's left of the studio feel of the theaters and the cheeky nature of the dino. (keep the food location just drop the giant dino)

doctornick

maybe the samed Hollywood theme as the rest of the front? I think echo lake is way too close to front entry to theme wildly to some random flavor of the month IP or eat up as an expansion for SW

The area of the lake itself and the immediate buildings (the theater where Frozen is and the restaurants on the other side) could easily IMHO be switched to be "part of" Hollywood Blvd. This would leave the more peripheral parts of current Echo Lake (Indy, Backlot Express, Star Tours) and theoretical expansion space to be separated into a new land of their own.

jt04

It strikes me as completely bizarre that they would be considering putting Indy in DAK when DHS needs more help and Indy is a better fit there (and already has a presence so there would be some continuity). It's not like Disney doesn't have other IPs that would actually fit well in DAK (e.g. Jungle Book, Bambi, Tarzan, Pocahontas, etc.).

But I am happy that Dr. Jones seems to be on the radar as a topic for WDW. Seems like a no brainer to me. Just use it properly.

Indy fits DAK so perfectly because of the potential synergy with SEA and characters reminiscent of the AC. Everything in the park does not need a heavy conservation message. Something with adventure, mayhem, lightheadedness, even comedy would be perfect counter-programing IMO. And that fits perfectly with many elements of the Indiana Jones sagas.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Indy fits DAK so perfectly because of the potential synergy with SEA and characters reminiscent of the AC. Everything in the park does not need a heavy conservation message. Something with adventure, mayhem, lightheadedness, even comedy would be perfect counter-programing IMO. And that fits perfectly with many elements of the Indiana Jones sagas.
Just a big No.

The park has a really cohesive theme that is as well kept as any theme park out there. No need to ruin that. There are plenty of things they could add to AK that fit the theme perfectly. Indy fits well with DHS. Sometimes just doing the simple and obvious thing is the right answer.

jt04

Just a big No.

The park has a really cohesive theme that is as well kept as any theme park out there. No need to ruin that. There are plenty of things they could add to AK that fit the theme perfectly. Indy fits well with DHS. Sometimes just doing the simple and obvious thing is the right answer.

Everest fits the description I gave quite well. DAK needs that kind of balance or it risks alienating people who go to Disney purely for fun and escapism.

NiarrNDisney

One thing that I found odd is that they didn't add some sort of facility for Jedi Training Academy into the new SW Land.

Are we sure about that? I thought there were still details that have not come out yet for instance how the Star Wars resort will be incorporated into Galaxy's Edge (the entrance and placement), I wouldnt be surprised if they already have something planned for JTA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom