Easter Observations from the World

Hey all, not sure if this is in the right place, but I don't have any inside information so I figured I would keep an observation thread on this board.

At any rate, just got back from 4 and a half days in WDW and I wanted to share my observations with you all. I have tried to organize them as best I can!

MyMagic+
  • I went into this with an open mind, but the Fastpass+ system is a trainwreck. Maybe its because our trip was spur of the moment, but I found it to be very restricting and even stressful. I don't like to look at my phone much when I'm on vacation, and I hated the tiering and lack of park hopping. I know both of those are going to be addressed, but this was a major downfall.
  • I heard many, many people remarking about the same criticisms. In fact, many of the guests I spoke to were very jaded at the Mouse, and most were doing a split stay at Uni or off property. There were a lot, a lot of complaints about wait times, FP+, and many other things.
  • I do however, love the magicband. It makes things a lot easier and more streamlined. I think it could have been implemented with traditional fastpass, without reserving ride times.
  • I hate the fact that you can't cancel reservations without paying through the nose. That, coupled with FP+ made us incredibly less flexible, which I hated. I felt confined on my own vacation.
General Resort
  • Like I said before, lots of complaints.
  • Lots of construction too, my Dad was lamenting about all the visible construction resort wide (not in the parks, infrastructure work)
  • Monorails are filthy, but the TTC isn't bad
  • Poly looks absolutely awful right now
  • GF villas look pretty nice, even if the scale is a bit off.
  • Weather was terrible, nothing Disney can do about that
  • Bendy busses are nice
  • Bus service was very consistent
  • Epcot Resort area is still beautiful
  • New DME video sucks. Like actually, its terrible. Just a myMagic+, DVC and Disney Parks Blog promo.
Cast Members
  • This one I was most surprised about. Our experience with CMs was either amazing or terrible. I can't even count the amount of times a CM was very rude to me or to family members for asking questions or trying to work out FP+/DME issues. Most CMs were rude, to the point where it started to have a negative impact on our vacation. This was mostly an issue at the MK. I guess I would be ed too if I was overworked, dealing with a madhouse for little pay, but...still.
  • We did have one really nice women help us at the Liberty Tree Tavern and everyone at the Beach Club, where half my family (but not me) stayed were awesome.
The Dolphin
  • Overall, a nice resort where I would stay again in a heartbeat. Nice grounds, nice pool, nice area, and cheap. To me, it's a no brainer when considering the prices of the other Epcot Area resorts.
  • Room I stayed in was dated and a bit dirty though, but for less than 140 a night, and with the way I do the parks, I didn't really care all that much.
Magic Kingdom
  • The park was ABSOLUTELY, and I mean ABSOLUTELY filthy. I don't just mean the occasional litter or popcorn, but I mean filthy. Buzz and the Laugh Floor....and hell, all of Tomorrowland were disgusting. WDW railroad, MSUSA, and Fantasyland were also a mess. Adventureland, less so, but I mean...filthy. Litter everywhere, chipped paint, burned out light bulbs, puke smell in way too many places, broken effects, it was shameful.
  • Castle looks amazing
  • Hub however, does not. This was expected. At least they refilled most of the moats.
  • The new set up with the Parade after the Fireworks led to the worst crowd I have ever seen, and I have been there twice on July 4th. CMs were understaffed and had zero control Wednesday night, with nobody moving, altercations nearly breaking out, ect. I had a very nasty encounter with a few CMs screaming at me to move when there was literally no where for me to go with two ECVs parked in the walking lane, refusing to move. When they did, one of them ran over my foot, leaving a gash. It was a nightmare.
  • I'm...rather tall. I can't help it. Please don't tell me I'm blocking your little girls view of the fireworks when I was there first. I can't even move if I tried. If you wanted a great view so badly, move to the Hub.
  • The amount of visible showbuildings at the MK is actually pretty terrible. You can still see some of the NFL show buildings from Tomorrowland and the TTA...they made zero effort to hide the dumbo building from anything, Tomorrowland is a mess of showbuildings. The new bypass work seems to be under way, but as a result you can see the entire backside of MSUSA. You can see showbuildings from Splash, from the WDW Railroad, all of old fantasyland, and near the Tangled Toilets. My dad and mom, who don't often notice these details, pointed them out to me on numerous occasions. I mean seriously, visible showbuildings everywhere.
  • Tried the Haunted Mansion for the first time. (Despite being to WDW 9 times now). Cannot believe I missed it all these years, what a phenomenal, phenomenal dark ride.
  • Wishes needs to be replaced. Loved Celebrate the Magic though.
  • Splash was immaculate. Really. Even the jumping fountains were working. I was hard pressed to find an effect not working. Let me re-emphasize, even the jumping fountains were working. It was glorious.
  • Pirates looked good too.
  • Thunder looks good but can use those upgrades.
  • Still have yet to ride the Little Mermaid Ride. Looks nice from the outside, but I'll wait until we get those upgrades.
  • Gastons Tavern <3
  • Forced perspective seemed to work on Belle's castle.
  • 7DMT looks great!
  • Rode Pooh for the first time too...great little ride.
  • Dole Whip <3 still amazing
  • Cinnamon almonds...delicious
  • TTA was filthy
Epcot
  • Not a fan of some of the showbuildings of the Land and Seas being visible, but thats been an issue for a while.
  • Flower and Garden festival had the park looking gorgeous
  • Park was very clean
  • New soda in club cool is a bit of a let down
  • I'm sorry, but I like the Nemo overlay...
  • Soarin's fill was not grainy and in the best condition I have ever seen it, both times
  • Cronut was good. Overrated but good. Dole whip with rum was way better
  • Ate at Garden Grille for the first time. It was decent...salad was delicious
  • Illuminations is the one thing at WDW that I hope is never, ever replaced, ever. Upgrades to pyro and to fountains, sure...but its my favorite thing ever.
  • Dunno why anyone with the DDP would eat quick service at anywhere else but France
  • Flower and Garden Festival was a real plus
  • I really like elements of the new Test Track, including its Background Music, but I wish it were themed a bit more/better. Still, its my favorite ride and I feel like this version fits Future World well.
  • Still my favorite park, and it always will be.
  • I actually enjoy the new paint scheme in FW. Looks way different in person.
DHS
  • Sigh...what can I say about this park? I love it, I really really do. Walking up Hollywood Blvd. or Sunset with a Butterfinger muffin and iced coffee from Starring Roles is one of my favorite things to do. It just needs so much help, and so much to do. We were able to do everything we wanted: TSMM three times, Rockin twice, Tower, Great Movie Ride, Backlot Tour, Star Tours, and breakfast before 11:15. I wish half the park was an old time hollywood theme, and the other were immersive movie themed lands. Call it Disney's Hollywood Adventure or something, I don't know. DHS has a wonderful feel to it, I wish that was expanded.
  • Toy Story is a blast
  • Backlot Tour wasn't half bad
  • GMR looked great
  • Star Tours 2.0 is really amazing.
DAK
  • I have an ever growing appreciation for DAK. The park is simply stunning, wonderfully and beautifully themed. It has an assortment of great rides and wonderful background music, and the best themeing in WDW. It just could be so much more.
  • Bugs Life was in good shape.
  • Safari in the morning was great, but the Wild Africa Trek does kill some of the immersion. Seems to be work being done on the nighttime safari, as there were walls and signs of construction
  • FOTLK theater and area looks tremendous, but the large HVAC really destroys the themeing. They need to cover that up before its completed, because honestly the area adds a ton to Africa.
  • The new pathway to Asia was under construction
  • The Asia/Everest area is spectacular, though I hate seeing the Everest show building when you drive in/when the train leaves the station. They need to fix that...and the Yeti.
  • Avatar construction is basically just cleared area and dirt piles, can't wait for that expansion though
  • Still nets under the tree of life...
  • Dinosaur needs some love
  • I hate Dinorama
  • Flame Tree BBQ is still awesome and has the best views in DAK
  • I really feel like DAK will be my second favorite park after the expansions

I didn't go to DTD or to the water parks, so no comments there. I love WDW and I absolutely can't wait to go back, but I really want to try Disneyland soon. Campaigning for the next family trip to be in California! and then back to WDW sometime in late 2015/16!

FlaggNL

Thanks for sharing your feelings an comments! We will experience it next October! Hope a lot of complaints from your side will be better by the time ;)

CrescentLake

Original Poster
Thank you for reading! It was a lovely time, and I have a feeling they will be. The extra FP+ entitlements solve some problems, and likely it won't be as busy when you're there/the hub rework will be further along. Seems like we have a lot of exciting things to look forward to at WDW! Have a wonderful trip!

CrescentLake

Original Poster
Enjoyed your thoughts.
Personally I am hoping they NEVER get rid of WISHES!!! My absolute favorite...I have made many a WISHES at MK :inlove:

Appreciate it! Wishes has always been hit or miss for me, I don't know. I love it, don't get me wrong, but for me, it may be time for a change. I hope they keep it for you as long as possible though :] I have the same sentimental attachment to Illuminations that you do for Wishes.

DisneyDebNJ

Appreciate it! Wishes has always been hit or miss for me, I don't know. I love it, don't get me wrong, but for me, it may be time for a change. I hope they keep it for you as long as possible though :] I have the same sentimental attachment to Illuminations that you do for Wishes.
Illuminations also holds a very special place in my heart. I am sorry you experienced so much negativity during your trip. I guess I wear rose colored glasses, there may be some not-so-nice things during our vacation, but our over-weighed by the good. Hey, as long as I am on vacation I try my best to keep a smile on my face :) I do appreciate your thoughts. Maybe next time, things will be much better for you :)

CrescentLake

Original Poster
Illuminations also holds a very special place in my heart. I am sorry you experienced so much negativity during your trip. I guess I wear rose colored glasses, there may be some not-so-nice things during our vacation, but our over-weighed by the good. Hey, as long as I am on vacation I try my best to keep a smile on my face :) I do appreciate your thoughts. Maybe next time, things will be much better for you :)

I appreciate your kind words. The trip was actually a ton of fun! I am obsessed, as most people on this board are, so it really was lovely. I could have fun in WDW just exploring hotels or parks and not doing any rides. I love it. The good outweighed the bad, and I can't wait to go back!

This time though, I definitely noticed some stuff that I found unusual. It wasn't enough to make my stay unpleasant, I just was not happy with some of what I saw.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom