East Coast flooding, anyone affected?

prberk

Original Poster
I know we covered Matthew's effect on WDW thoroughly here, but many, many people are now affected by flooding throughout the South and Mid-Atlantic states. I think especially it has hit North Carolina in a way few really anticipated. Many towns, even along 95, are completely flooded.

I just wondered if anyone here was affected or knows anyone who has been.

StarWarsGirl

The storm did not reach up to where we live, but I have relatives down in SC. Thankfully, they are far enough inland that they were able to remain in their homes and did not have any major damage. My dad's stepsister and her husband have a vacation home in Hilton Head. We know it was in one of the island's hardest hit areas and we are uncertain of the condition of their home. Hopefully it was spared. I have seen pictures of trees through the roofs of houses in that neighborhood; I hope theirs was not one of them.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
@prberk how very kind of you to start this thread.

I'm in NY and well away from this year's storm damage, but as you note, many members of our online community are in flood-damaged areas.

I hope all of our WDWMagic friends are safe and well.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I am from Eastern North Carolina and the flooding is so widespread and horrific, my 9 hour drive from Florida took nearly 12 hours because the southeast part of the state is/was virtually inaccessible. I've never seen anything like it in my lifetime. I was alive during Floyd, but only 7 at the time so I don't really grasp the seriousness of the situation, but I was just amazed (for lack of a better word) how prolific the floods are. What's fascination (again lacking a better word) is how slow this flood came. My Mom works over in Kinston as a nurse and she was able to witness first hand the water slowly creep into and over the banks. I can't imagine the feeling the residents along the rivers had knowing that within a few days, everything they have would be gone. If there is any silver lining, because it was not a flash flood, many folks were able to get out ahead of time, which has saved countless lives for sure.

Sorry to hear the ongoing reports about the flooding in N.C. From your description, and what I've seen on the national news, it sounds dreadful.

Thank goodness that you and your family are o.k. (I have a brother who lives in N.C., but he lives over in the western part of the state, so he was not affected by the storm.). Let's hope the waters recede, so that people can start cleaning up/rebuilding their neighborhoods, and things can go back to normal for them. Prayers to all of those people involved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom