Easiest Car Rental at LAX?

sammysmom1

Original Poster
We usually rent thru National, however, I have been reading that the shuttles are extemely slow at LAX. Anyone have any suggestions for renting a car? We need an SUV since there are 5 of us. Thanks!!

Mouse Trap

In May we used Avis and I have nothing, but good things to say. I signed up for their free preferred program online beforehand. Shuttle came within 10 minutes and when we arrived at the lot there was a digital board with our name on it and where the car could be located. No waiting in line, no hassles... nothing! Jumped in the car, drove to the security gate, checked out and we were on our way to Anaheim in less than 30 minutes from arriving at the airport. Highly recommended.

Cosmic Commando

I rented a car only once at LAX. I use Hotwire often and have had trouble only once... do NOT use Hotwire for a car rental at LAX! I was given Budget; I normally wouldn't have a problem with Budget, but the Budget at LAX is absolutely horrible. It was literally a 120 minute wait for my car, and that is not unusual based on the Google reviews.

As for who I would recommend, one of the hosts of a very good Disneyland podcast (Mousetalgia) swears by Midway Car Rental. They have good reviews online, they are price-competitive, and I remember something from the podcast review that they pick you up in an easier place than the other car rental shuttles? I'm going to see if I can quickly find where they talk about this on the show.

Edit: Start listening around 28:00 of this episode: http://traffic.libsyn.com/mousetalgia/Mousetalgia_-_Episode_219.mp3

Last edited:

BostonJP

I rented a car only once at LAX. I use Hotwire often and have had trouble only once... do NOT use Hotwire for a car rental at LAX! I was given Budget; I normally wouldn't have a problem with Budget, but the Budget at LAX is absolutely horrible. It was literally a 120 minute wait for my car, and that is not unusual based on the Google reviews.
Out of curiosity is your compliant with Budget or Hotwire? I only ask because I just used Hotwire to book a rental through Enterprise and already paid for the insurance, but your quote is making me nervous now!!

Cosmic Commando

Out of curiosity is your compliant with Budget or Hotwire? I only ask because I just used Hotwire to book a rental through Enterprise and already paid for the insurance, but your quote is making me nervous now!!
The Enterprise at LAX (if that's where you're renting) actually has good reviews, so I wouldn't worry. You got lucky. I'd put it 100% on the local Budget office; if I were Hotwire, I might consider excluding results from local branches that have a reputation like some of the bad ones at LAX, but that would probably upset the national chain. You shouldn't have a problem, but I won't use Hotwire for an LAX car again... won't chance getting one of the awful agencies. I had never had a problem renting a car before; I had assumed that service was more or less consistent across a company.

BostonJP

The Enterprise at LAX (if that's where you're renting) actually has good reviews, so I wouldn't worry. You got lucky. I'd put it 100% on the local Budget office; if I were Hotwire, I might consider excluding results from local branches that have a reputation like some of the bad ones at LAX, but that would probably upset the national chain. You shouldn't have a problem, but I won't use Hotwire for an LAX car again... won't chance getting one of the awful agencies. I had never had a problem renting a car before; I had assumed that service was more or less consistent across a company.

I can agree completely with this. I've always used only Enterprise and I have never been disappointed. I am kind of surprised to see that at LAX, even the more reputable agencies like Budget still have terrible reviews on Yelp and Google. I guess in an airport the size of LAX it's much more challenging to please all customers!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom