Earfell Tower to be removed

George Lucas on a Bench

It's an iconic Disney landmark in its own way and has been associated with MGM and WDW for a long time now. I don't doubt that they will trash it with little hope for relocation or another version, but it makes the lifespan of actually detested crap such as the EPCOT wand and giant hat all the more disturbing. RIP Earfell Tower, you will soon be with the Castle Cake in Disney heaven.

ToTBellHop

It's an iconic Disney landmark in its own way and has been associated with MGM and WDW for a long time now. I don't doubt that they will trash it with little hope for relocation or another version, but it makes the lifespan of actually detested crap such as the EPCOT wand and giant hat all the more disturbing. RIP Earfell Tower, you will soon be with the Castle Cake in Disney heaven.
The Castle Cake certainly didn't go to heaven.

For the record, I believe they plan to trash it. I just feel the timing with it coming down sooner than necessary and Disney Springs getting a water tower this year is conspicuous. It's probably easier just to build a new prop for Springs but what ever happened to that environmentality that guides WDW (or so they said on the monorail. "If we can dream it, we can do it," and all that)?

The timing is probably coincidental.

Now the reason for all of the closures in the back of the park so soon...

JoeCamel

The Castle Cake certainly didn't go to heaven.

For the record, I believe they plan to trash it. I just find the timing with it coming down sooner than necessary and Disney Springs getting a water tower this year is conspicuous. It's probably easier just to build a new prop for Springs but what ever happened to that environmentality that guides WDW (or so they said on the monorail. "If we can dream it, we can do it," and all that)?

I don't doubt that the tower will be recycled. I can almost see the ship from China pulling up to load it so it can be melted into something else.

WhatJaneSays

How many people actually pay near $100 bucks to get in the park?
Basically no one. MK is the only park that has any reasonably measured attendance from one park/one day tickets purchased at “retail” price. I’d say at maximum it's 1% of daily attendance but realistically it’s probably less than 100 people a day.

Wisconsin

So what's left from Opening Day?

1. Great Movie Ride
2. Brown Derby
3. Crossroads of the World
4.The Darkroom
5.Oscar's Super Service
6. 50's Prime Time Cafe
7. Indiana Jones

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Meeko77

So what's left from Opening Day?

1. Great Movie Ride
2. Brown Derby
3. Crossroads of the World
4.The Darkroom
5.Oscar's Super Service
6. 50's Prime Time Cafe
7. Indiana Jones

Correct me if I'm wrong...
What about Dinosaur Gertie's Ice Cream of Extinction and Min & Bill's Dockside Diner? Still so hopeful Gertie will stay. Love her!

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Sad to see the tower go. Agree that it is going the way of the BAH, seems like wishful thinking to have it moved elsewhere on property. Heard the same ideas from fans when the BAH went, and we know how that ended...

Next Big Thing

Basically no one. MK is the only park that has any reasonably measured attendance from one park/one day tickets purchased at “retail” price. I’d say at maximum it's 1% of daily attendance but realistically it’s probably less than 100 people a day.
You'd be very wrong on that percentage. It's actually pretty high.

JohnD

Wasn't there a water tower included in all of the concept art and models for Disney springs located in front of the new town center area?
Wouldn't this make sense if they are going to recover it from here that it could be positioned at springs now the transformation is progressing with its latter stages?

I like that idea. You'll be able to see it from I-4.

Goofyernmost

I don't understand why everyone thinks it can't be seen from World Drive because it most certainly can be seen, then I remember that so many people come in from the airport via ME and that goes in from a different side. I don't care one way or the other if it's there or not, but, I will miss seeing it as I drive onto the property. I don't find it nostalgic really, but, it did always amuse me for it's uniqueness and the instant recognition that you are in Mickey Land. I also am not excited about wasting things, but, I am realistic that it might be cheaper to just build a new one over in DS then try and dismantle that one and reuse it there. I'm sure that there is enough hurricane resistant steel in that tower to pull a few bucks in recycling.

FettFan

I'd like it if Animation Courtyard and the RNRC/Sunset Showcase area got linked and were turned into the only remnant of the Studio theme, and a smaller Earful Tower could be made there. So the Hollywood side of the park could have "Hollywood Boulevard" with GMR and the Echo Lake dining areas, "Sunset Boulevard" with TOT, Fantasmic, and the BATB theater, and "Hollywood Studios" with the Earful Tower, RNRC, Disney Jr, the LM theater, and Sunset Showcase. Maybe they could put something in the Animation Academy's place as well, such as a dark ride or a refined animation exhibit. Then the other half of the park could be where all the IP worlds go. That way, everybody wins.

Buena Vista Street, complete with Oswald M&G.

DManRightHere

I disagree. Just think of how many people are at ticket booths in the mornings.

FettFan

Some views of the Tower through the years... (cue up the Sarah McLachan)
tumblr_m5q84brIYp1r4z5hmo1_500.jpg

wdweth123456.jpg

image_mgmsocerershat4.jpg

dal596434LARGE.jpg

Advertising the live-action 101 Dalmatians in 1996.

sky59423LARGE.jpg

Advertising the arrival of Fantasmic! in 1998/1999. While this angle makes the "Fantasmic" logo look superimposed onto a photo of the Tower, it was indeed really there.

tip594343LARGE.jpg

Being repainted with the new "Hollywood Studios" logo:
Earffel-Tower_Full_3059.jpg

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I disagree. Just think of how many people are at ticket booths in the mornings.
My experience is just the opposite. I have hardly ever seen a big line up at the ticket booths, especially for DHS, but, even for MK. Even if it there were lines, that doesn't mean that the people are buying just one day tickets. I know that when I had to change my 10 paper ticket to the new one, I had to do it at the ticket booth and the wait was less then two minutes.

Sped2424

They have already including concept art. They showed it back in August ....
They showed us star wars land bits and pieces, and then toy story land which are the only thing we have seen. Given what we have heard and what is closing far more is going into hollywood than we know. I think it's time they give the public something to bite on at least so that these closures don't seem as harrowing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom