E.P.C.O.T. Question

Chris

Original Poster
I have always heard that EPCOT stood for Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. However, at the Walt Disney Exhibit at MGM last week, I watched the video of Walt describing the idea for EPCOT and he call it the Experimental Prototype CITY of Tomorrow. Just symantics but I thouth it was interesting. Does anyone know why they changes the name behing the acronym?

SteveS

Just a guess here, but the original plans were for a city. Housing schools, shopping, etc, etc. Obviously the EPCOT we have now isn't that, it is more community.

MCMike37

Yes, Walt's original idea was to have people living and working in EPCOT. Something along the lines of what Celebration is but with more technology and things like that.

Sheri

Yeah the first time I heard what Epcot stood for was with city,

Does anyone know why they didn't continue the idea with the city?

NowInc

Walt Died....too much red tape was involved...he only decided to build the Parks in Florida so that the state would allow him to build the "city"...after he died tho....things just didn't go as planned.

DZannini

Actually there is a town in Florida called Paradise Florida. It is a town that was created by Disney. If you subscribe (or buy) The Disney Magazine there is an ad in the edition that has Monsters Inc on the cover.

DLMAGICDARREN

Probably just a slip. In the official Epcot book published in 1982, Walt is quoted as referring to it as Community, not City, even though they jokingly wanted to call it Waltopia.

Even Walt once referred to Sleeping Beauty castle as Snow White Castle, mistakes do happen.

NowInc

Originally posted by DZannini
Actually there is a town in Florida called Paradise Florida. It is a town that was created by Disney. If you subscribe (or buy) The Disney Magazine there is an ad in the edition that has Monsters Inc on the cover.

Do you mean "Celebration"? The town thats too good to be true...because it really is. It was built by disney..this is true...tho it is FAR from what walt wanted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom