DVC Rentals

slowbee

Original Poster
Has anyone rented points from a DVC Memeber. Was thinking about renting points and as with anything that is 2nd hand, I wanted to know if there is anyone else who can put me a little more at ease with renting points.

aroyston

I rented points a few years ago and stayed at the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge for 5 nights. It was definately worth it, very easy to do. I'd recommend using the dvc points rental board on wdwinfo.com for people looking to rent you points, thats where I found someone. The problem with renting points is that from what I've seen, availability is much harder to come by then the hotels. Also, try not to use dvc points for weekend nights(friday and saturday) because they are like twice as much, which really kills the value of it. If there is availability for your dates, I would highly recommend giving it a try.

slowbee

Original Poster
I've looked and we're staying Sunday thru Friday morning... so we're going to luck out on that one... I read the boards and have a few leads, but I didn't find much on how to protect yourself and the money you're about to fork over..

artvandelay

I've rented points from a member, who I found on the rent/trade page at disboards, and had no problem. Try to rent from someone who's been on the boards for awhile and has rented to other people successfuly. Check this by clicking on their screen name and going over their previous posts. Good luck.

RickEff

I've always dreamed of having enough points to rent out one third of them each year to just about cover my annual fees.

Maybe some day!

I happened to register www.dvcrental.com years ago in hopes of developing a trading / rental site for DVC members and people who want to rent. I'll have to decide this year whether I want to develop it or if I should just sell the url.

momto3squirrels

We rented points for a Sun-Thursday, 5 night deal at OKW and are very happy with our service and amount paid. I researched quite a few leads and chose someone on ebay who had a wonderful feedback rating. Must say we saved a ton of money and have had tons of help with our trip from the guy who rented the points to us. I've called Disney numerous times just to check on the reservation (for my own peace of mind) and no problems. The boards aren't the only place to rent points...just so you explore all options.:wave:

NotAZoo

Just did it for the first time and couldn't have asked for an easier time getting everything set up. My only recommendation would be to just simply ask for references. Most people who have rented out their DVC points before have them and take no offense at being asked.

Have a great time!

kellydisney

I booked 2 vacations this year - one in May at Boardwalk Villas and one in September for our "disneymoon" at Beach Club Villas. I used the Disboards and I had a great experience with two different renters. I am hoping it all continues to go smoothly but I would do this again in a heartbeat if it does :)

Phonedave

We rented points for a Sun-Thursday, 5 night deal at OKW and are very happy with our service and amount paid. I researched quite a few leads and chose someone on ebay who had a wonderful feedback rating. Must say we saved a ton of money and have had tons of help with our trip from the guy who rented the points to us. I've called Disney numerous times just to check on the reservation (for my own peace of mind) and no problems. The boards aren't the only place to rent points...just so you explore all options.:wave:

How is that possible ?

DVC will not talk to you. They will only talk to the contract owner. You will have no communication with DVC untill you check in.

Of course the DVC owner could have given you his name and member number, but you would not catch me doing that.

You do have to trust that the owner is doing what he or she says they are doing, and that they don't cancel the reservation while you are on the plane.

This guy http://www.dvcrequest.com/ has been around for quite some time. He works a little differently than renting from an owner. His operation is as follows

If you are an owner, and want to list on his site, you then put him as a owner on your contract (it's not really an owner, but somone who can make reservations, etc - I forget what it's called). You then tell him how many points you have available and when.

If you want to rent, you call him up and tell him where and when you want to stay. He charges $13 a point, and makes the arrangements using the contracts he has. He then sends you the reservation info.

It is more than you could rent directly for, but you are dealing with somone who is not going to cheat you, as it's an established business. He also has pretty much as many points as you need.

-dave

tjkraz

How is that possible ?

DVC will not talk to you. They will only talk to the contract owner. You will have no communication with DVC untill you check in.

Dave...you do realize that you bumped a 4 1/2 year old thread, don't you? :veryconfu

It was around 3 years ago that DVC stopped communicating with non-members. Back in 2006 I'm quite certain DVC would verify a reservation for a renter as the poster describes. Now all communications must go through the member.

luvlifeinfl

I am a DVC owner, this yr we tried to rent out points that we had banked from the previous yr into this yr that needed to be used. I had 1 person contact me on renting our DVC and I showed her through Disney if she tried to book a 2bdrm villa how much it would cost for 7days.

I like others did reserach and found that the fair market value to rents points was $8-$12 point, studios would be cheaper than a 2bdrm. I went into that we would have to sign a contract and when we went through all the info and I told her how much it would cost and it was 1,600.00 cheaper than the Disney reservation site, she told me I was still charging her to much money, I thought my gosh you think I am just going to give it to you. I hope next time we want to rent we have better luck.

Phonedave

Dave...you do realize that you bumped a 4 1/2 year old thread, don't you? :veryconfu

It was around 3 years ago that DVC stopped communicating with non-members. Back in 2006 I'm quite certain DVC would verify a reservation for a renter as the poster describes. Now all communications must go through the member.

Ouch

I swear it came up as new for me.

I didn't even look at the dates.

-dave

Pioneer Hall

Ouch

I swear it came up as new for me.

I didn't even look at the dates.

-dave

There was a spam/illegal post put in before your's where someone put points they had up for rent. That brought the thread back from the dead and made it look relevant. Now it looks like you went searching and brought it back since the post was deleted.

tjkraz

When you rent points do you have a to add sales tax or do the points included tax???

If you're asking as the non-member who wants to use the points, the offering price is typically all-inclusive. If someone is renting points for $12 each, usually you pay $12 per point and your accommodations are completely covered.

That said, all rental agreements are unique. Can't stress that enough. Rentals are a glorified handshake agreement between two parties and they can set their own cancellation policies, payment policies, etc. Some owners could even put in a clause charging extra to cover taxes. I've never heard of that but there's nothing to prevent it.

Make sure the terms are carefully defined up front in writing.

You can literally save thousands of dollars renting points but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are 110% sure that you will be making the trip.

Getting back to the tax issue, the member who receives the funds would obviously be subject to taxes on the income.

mickeysshoes

If you're asking as the non-member who wants to use the points, the offering price is typically all-inclusive. If someone is renting points for $12 each, usually you pay $12 per point and your accommodations are completely covered.

That said, all rental agreements are unique. Can't stress that enough. Rentals are a glorified handshake agreement between two parties and they can set their own cancellation policies, payment policies, etc. Some owners could even put in a clause charging extra to cover taxes. I've never heard of that but there's nothing to prevent it.

Make sure the terms are carefully defined up front in writing.

You can literally save thousands of dollars renting points but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are 110% sure that you will be making the trip.

Getting back to the tax issue, the member who receives the funds would obviously be subject to taxes on the income.

Thanks very much...that was very helpful info. I am pricing and looking at options for a 4 night / 5 days get away for me and DH for a year from now...and thinking it would be cheaper for us to rent the points and stay in a Studio at either VWL or AKV.

tjkraz

I am pricing and looking at options for a 4 night / 5 days get away for me and DH for a year from now...and thinking it would be cheaper for us to rent the points and stay in a Studio at either VWL or AKV.

It probably will save you money. Sort of depends on incentives Disney offers, though. Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge are the two cheapest Deluxe resorts.

Here's the problem, though--this time of year is VERY popular with DVC members. Members can book 11 months in advance. If you want a Studio at VWL for October - December, you really need to commit to it 11 months in advance. Start looking for a renter now.

If you want AKV you may have a few extra weeks since the number of DVC villas is much greater. But I wouldn't let it drag out too long.

Meanwhile Disney isn't going to announce any cash discounts for Fall 2011 for many months. So you really can't do much of a comparison.

In the end, renting is likely to save you some money--we just don't know how much. Disney's park business is steadily improving and discounts aren't as good in '10 as they were in '09. No real reason to think that '11 will be any cheaper.

Pioneer Hall

I would really love to possibly rent points for next November.. Just don't know much about the process..

There are a number of sites and boards out there that have people who are willing to rent their points to people for a fee. The process itself isn't very difficult...you find someone with the amount of points you need, agree on a price for the points, and they will book your reservation for you. However, it is very important that you be extremely careful with who you are booking with and see if this person has references and is a reputable renter. You are also going to make sure you have a contract with the person that clearly outlines the terms of the rental, cacellation and payment policy, etc. Since renting doesn't have anything to do with Disney you are basically entering into a handshake agreement with someone that you both will fulfill your parts of the deal. Most agreements work fine, but you hate hearing about a horror story here and then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom