1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

DVC Dues increses for 2013

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Club' started by GoofGoof, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Phonedave

Phonedave Well-Known Member

Remember, they also have to do a full clean every time a room changes hands. I seem to notice a lot of posts where people are splitting a trip, and staying at a "cheaper" resort most of the trip and then one or two nights at BLT just so they can check out the rooms and see the fireworks, but they are not staying for a long time because of the point cost. The increased churn at the resort will cause the rooms to be cleaned more than twice a week. I don't know if this is the reason for the increase, but it may contribute.

What you really need to look at is not the increase, or the cost per point, but instead the cost per room. I'll give you the numbers for SSR, if you would like to supply the ones for BLT, then we can compare.

SSR is 888 vacation homes (a mix of studios, 1BR, 2BR, grand villas, and the treehouses). Housekeep in 2013 is budgeted for $10,361,056. That comes out to $11,667 per room per year. Now that seems high, but housekeeping includes "Cost of cleaning Vacation homes and public areas and replacement of disposable amenities. Also includes the purchase, replacement, and cleaning of linens and towels."

I wonder how much the other resorts spend per room per year on housekeeping and how it compares to the $11.6K spent at SSR.

-dave

ParentsOf4 likes this.
  2. Phonedave

There is still $5.5 Million left in the exterior painting fund. SRR at the close of 2012 is expected to have $68M left in capital reserves. To me, it looks like they are managing the capital projects quite well.

-dave

PhilharMagician and ParentsOf4 like this.
  3. Phonedave

I posted almost the same thing before I read your comments.

-dave

GoofGoof likes this.
  4. Phonedave

You may, you never know. I wonder what the retal market will look like next year. Especially for points at resorts that took a big hit in dues.

-dave

vitani88 likes this.
  5. captainkidd

captainkidd Well-Known Member

What I was saying is, I paid no more for next year's trip than I paid for this year's. I already paid next year's in full.

Phonedave likes this.
  6. Phonedave

Nice!

I guess we will have to wait until 2014 to see if you have any increases.

-dave

7. captainkidd

Probably 2015. We're going to Disneyland in 2014. At least, that's the plan.

Thinking back on since I started renting points, I've done pretty well. The most I've paid was $11 per point, and the least I paid was $8 (that was a rare 1 time thing.) It seems like we've been stuck on $11 for the past 3 years I believe.

Phonedave and ParentsOf4 like this.
  8. GoofGoof

GoofGoof Well-Known Member Original Poster

BLT has $4,873,531 budgeted for housekeeping and has 295 rooms so $16,520 per room per year. Much higher than SSR. I also wonder if maybe they went over budget in 2012 so part of the increase represents the "make up" for the budget shortfall.

Phonedave and ParentsOf4 like this.
  9. PhilharMagician

PhilharMagician Well-Known Member

There is definately a differant managment style between SSR and BLT with their housekeeping. They seem to hustle more @ SSR. To me the differance has been quite noticable.

SSR has always been one of the best managed rosorts with their money.

No I understand that a full cleaning is required after every check out, but there are also times that rooms go unoccupied so maybe one cleaning per week may be required. BLT may be one resort suffering more from the short stays and full occupancy all the time which will drive up the housekeeping costs. Nonetheless the differnce between the cost you gave ($11,667) and the number from GoofGoof ($16,520) is about $5000 or about 50% higher @ BLT. There is something wrong with that picture. I would love to see more cost comparisons from all of the other DVC resorts.

$11,667 is not that bad of a number when you add in cleaning products, toiletries, coffee, linens, towels, labor and whatever else may be tied up in there.

ParentsOf4, GoofGoof and Phonedave like this.
  10. Sharkreef11

Sharkreef11 Well-Known Member

Where do you rent your points? What's the website?

11. Phonedave

I wonder how muh of that difference is labor and how much is "other". BLT does have common areas that require more cleaning than SSR (carpet vs concrete floors) but I can't see it being THAT much. SSR is also a LOT more spread out. There are people who just deliver the linens via Pargo all over the resort. Could BLT linens need more replacing or be more costly to replace? Maybe people steal a lot of soap and shampoo from BLT. :)

-dave

12. captainkidd

I use multiple ones. Mouseowners primarily.

13. GoofGoof

Did you swipe the linens and shampoo when you visited? We could be on to something here;)

ParentsOf4 likes this.
  14. Disneykidder

Disneykidder Well-Known Member

Anyone going to the Condo meeting next week that can ask these questions? It seems like a very big jump in dues.

15. GoofGoof

I sent an e-mail to member services today asking about the housekeeping budget increase. I'll post the reply if they get back to me with an answer.

Disneykidder likes this.
  16. Ralphlaw

Ralphlaw Well-Known Member

I think it would be cheaper to bring my own maid.

disneydaft and Disneykidder like this.
  17. GoofGoof

I never heard back from member services, but DVC news has a summary of the condo meeting. It sounds like the housekeeping line item increase is partially related to new bedding in the units. They are replacing the heavy bedspreads with something called triple sheeted bedding. The remainder of the increase is related to employee costs which are mostly driven by increased health insurance costs. The bad news is that all DVC resorts will be getting the new bedding in either 2013 or 2014 so if your home resort didn't see a big increase in housekeeping for 2013 it's coming in 2014.

Here's the link to the full summary. It does have a picture of the inside model for GFV. Looks pretty cool:
    http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/owning-dvc/2148-2012-condo-association-meeting-summary

ParentsOf4 likes this.
  18. Disneykidder

Disneykidder Well-Known Member

Hmmm. The article said that Claire Bilby said the GF units will be on sale "soon." I hope it is a near soon and not a later soon.

19. copcarguyp71

copcarguyp71 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I am not an owner but I have a couple of questions...

Did they pose any of this increase due to bedding to members who it would be for before doing so?

The extra money for the bedding has been spent so does that mean since it is paid for that your dues will go back down next year? My gut reaction is no if they operate like any other company but it would be worth pointing out to them that once the capital expense is paid for through dues increase then said increase should disappear. Likely it will not and they will pocket the difference using some sort of convoluted formula. Not poking at DVC specifically but big business in general.

Disneykidder likes this.
  20. GoofGoof

There is not really a system for owners to vote on every line item of the budget. The nature of these particular charges is a little confusing. The DVC news link states that Disney intends to pay the cost of the initial bedding transition, but members dues will cover the cost of future bedding replacements and other related charges. It doesn't sound like it will be a one time charge that will result in dues going back down next year. However, it should not be a driver of an increase next year either since it will already be in the budget and dues.

To answer your question about Disney pocketing the difference, that can't really happen. The DVC dues are set based on budgets and can only be used to cover actual costs and/or set up reserves for future capital improvements. This is a requirement under FL law for all timeshares. The budgets and actual spend are subject to annual audits by an independent accounting firm (audit fees are a component of the dues themselves). The only thing Disney can really "profit" from with DVC dues is maybe allocating a larger portion of shared services expense to DVC at resorts like BLT or BWV where there are both hotel rooms and DVC units. Even that allocation is most likely subject to audit so they can't really stretch it too far.