DVC AP Discount to be discontinued?

tjkraz

I've been a DVC owner for more than a decade and I'll just make the blanket statement that right now, member perks are better than they have ever been.

The first few years we owned, there was no AP discount. That perk started in '05 as essentially $100 off the regular price. Around 2012 it rose to $150 off and more recently DVC has offered a number of extra-special ticket discounts ($199 MYW, PAP for less than AP).

The blanket merchandise discount is new. The volume of restaurants at which owners get discounts is as high as ever. The option to buy Tables in Wonderland only happened 3 or 4 years ago. In the last 12-18 months, they've debuted a lot of exclusive dining events, spa events and other perks only available to owners.

I could go on and on. Not trying to be a sycophant...but DVC really is making a much better effort to offer perks than they did 5 or 10 years ago.

Could Disney offer merchandise at cost? Of course. But I really don't think a $15 windbreaker is the difference between "DVC never does anything for its members!" and "DVC is the greatest thing ever!"

as far as what does Disney / DVC have to gain from discounts? It gets people in the parks. once there, we will spending money on food etc.. As it was said previously, there is little if any profit made from dues.

Two comments:

1) Yes, discounts probably would get more people into the parks. But it also means a lower profit margin on every purchase, meaning Disney has to work harder just to break even.
2) When it comes to dining, bear in mind that every location has a maximum capacity and many are already being maxed-out. If owners get a discount on the DDP or meals at places like Crystal Palace or BOG, they're taking tables away from people who are willing and able to pay full price.

The idea that Disney would make more money with lower prices doesn't hold much water. If lower ticket and dining prices were the key to higher profits, Disney would lower those rates across the board. Not just DVC owners...everyone would pay less.

Unused points are not making them anything.

Actually they can. Unused points = vacant rooms. And 60 days prior to arrival, all vacant villas are available for cash reservations.

We really don't know how many points are going unused. Given occupancy at DVC resorts--specifically, difficulty in getting a villa on short notice--I suspect there aren't a ton of unused points.

And in this regard, what sort of a discount would really make a difference? Is a 10% ticket discount going to get people using their points who couldn't otherwise afford it? 20%? Keep in mind, those discounts wouldn't only apply to the hard-luck owners but also to THOUSANDS who were ready to pay full price.

It seems that they could put some effort to keeping people more than just satisfied with the not insignificant purchase they have made.

Go look at the list of perks on the DVC member website and convince me they aren't putting "some effort" into it.

JohnWD

I know that being a DVC member is not the least expensive way of enjoying a WDW vacation. But for me and my family, it has been the best investment ever. For us, the perks are just perks - they are not deal makers and show stoppers. That being said, we take advantage of AP discounts, and I'm hoping they will continue. We need to buy new ones for our September stay!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom