Duffy meet and greet in Walt Disney World's Epcot will end October 3rd this fall

midwest_mice

I think this is a good spot to put this guy!! My wife would love it

ches.jpg

photo copied from Kenny the Pirate.

Last edited:

Bocabear

I am all for removing Duffy and any other character at EPCOT….except maybe Dreamfinder and Figment….let the characters live in the Magic Kingdom… The thing that is ruining the Walt Disney World experience is homogenizing everything…the shops all have the same stuff, you can see any character at any park…The uniqueness of each of the parks is declining by degrees every year…

brb1006

Original Poster
I guess Duffy will have to hop the first Duffy bus back to Tokyo...
autobus-peluche-japon-duffy-japonshop.jpg

Yes, that is a very real thing in Japan. And it's upholstered in full on teddy bear theme.

I just hope the Japanese tourists who coordinate their daily outfits with their Duffy bear (I've seen this many, many times) don't forsake Epcot now! ;-)
I'm going to bet alot of Japanese tourists will be visiting Duffy on his final day in Epcot.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Why hasn't he been at Disneyland Park in Anaheim? He's missing out on the interactions with the Mad Hatter and Alice. I also hope they find a way to bring Toulouse and Berlioz at Epcot's France Pavilion.

The WS has enough characters floating about....

brb1006

Original Poster
QUOTE="Dawnh16, post: 6843640, member: 89664"]Omg, I would die. We need this.[/QUOTE]
I can imagine the fun interactions he would have with guests along with the Mad Hatter.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I was always curious as to why Disney would make a character that appeared only in merchandise. No movies, no tv, no rides, no shows, no restaurants; just merchandise and m&g? I didn't realize he was that popular to appear beyond merchandising and now it's no surprise to me that Americans don't care in the slightest for a character who only appears in the parks, and just barely at that.

lazyboy97o

I was always curious as to why Disney would make a character that appeared only in merchandise. No movies, no tv, no rides, no shows, no restaurants; just merchandise and m&g? I didn't realize he was that popular to appear beyond merchandising and now it's no surprise to me that Americans don't care in the slightest for a character who only appears in the parks, and just barely at that.
It ultimately comes down to cultural differences being completely misunderstood and ignored. It's not that Americans won't go for something that is almost entirely merchandise. Duffy was a smash in Japan because of circumstances very unique to Japan that were totally ignored. Executives at Disney just ignorantly assumed that his meteoric rise and subsequently huge falling was the result of a forced marketing push and that such a massive push would yield similar results anywhere else in the world.

brb1006

Original Poster
It ultimately comes down to cultural differences being completely misunderstood and ignored. It's not that Americans won't go for something that is almost entirely merchandise. Duffy was a smash in Japan because of circumstances very unique to Japan that were totally ignored. Executives at Disney just ignorantly assumed that his meteoric rise and subsequently huge falling was the result of a forced marketing push and that such a massive push would yield similar results anywhere else in the world.
Another reason why Duffy is a hit in Japan is because Japan has a long history with cuteness and anything cute which can be viewed very differently in the West. Japan also makes tons of merchandise for any property when its from their country or not. Disney is also extremely popular in Japan.

Heck if you visit any Japanese website or any store in Japan that features Disney. Expect to see alot of Minnie Mouse,Marie, Chip N Dale,Stitch, and Duffy merchandise since all these characters are loved by the Japanese. Speaking of Chip N Dale, since their very popular in Japan did Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers ever air in that country?

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Heck if you visit any Japanese website or any store in Japan that features Disney. Expect to see alot of Minnie Mouse,Marie, Chip N Dale,Stitch, and Duffy merchandise since all these characters are loved by the Japanese. Speaking of Chip N Dale, since their very popular in Japan did Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers ever air in that country?
What a coincidence, I'm actually watching an episode of Rescue Rangers right now. After a couple Google searches, it looks like there is at the very least a Japanese version of the show's theme song, but that doesn't confirm per-se that the show actually aired in Japan, just that it exists in that language. I'd assume yes, however.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom