Rumor Dropping the "Walt" from "Walt Disney World"

Sharon&Susan

1659064347789.png

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Why not both? Coca-Cola is officially referred to as both Coca-Cola and Coke. It seems like it would be possible to officially adopt the “Disneyworld” nomenclature for some sort of branding nonsense (complete with the generic logotype used in Paris and China) while the name is technically still Walt Disney World, slowly relegated to fewer and fewer uses.

Not that I agree with the decision if they did this, but I'm expecting this is what we'll probably see...more marketing opportunities to label things as Disney World, but not change the entire thing.

It helps the "Disney Parks" stuff if they can just quickly say "Disneyland and Disney World" even if it doesn't sound right to us.

LSLS

So, my guess, there is some truth to this, but not the way said. My guess is starting at D23, all remarks have been told to leave the "Walt" part out. I HIGHLY doubt they make an official announcement. My guess is going forward, their releases and statements will leave Walt off, and the they will try to make the transition over a few years without people really noticing. I can't imagine those two are so out of touch they think they can hard transition it.

Lilofan

So, my guess, there is some truth to this, but not the way said. My guess is starting at D23, all remarks have been told to leave the "Walt" part out. I HIGHLY doubt they make an official announcement. My guess is going forward, their releases and statements will leave Walt off, and the they will try to make the transition over a few years without people really noticing. I can't imagine those two are so out of touch they think they can hard transition it.
I would tend to agree. I would say 9 out of 10 that I know who go to Disney in FL, don't say I'm going to Walt Disney World. They say Disney World instead.

Tha Realest

i go back and forth. This is so stupid and petty I can see them doing it out of spite just because he testified at HUAC.

On the other end, the company is formally known as The Walt Disney Company. The imagineering division is Walt Disney Imagineering. As some others have noted, tons of signage (much of which they've spent the last year updating) has WDW. Will they change the company name, the road signage, the in park signage, ALL the existing merchandise, etc. ?

Lilofan

i go back and forth. This is so stupid and petty I can see them doing it out of spite just because he testified at HUAC.

On the other end, the company is formally known as The Walt Disney Company. The imagineering division is Walt Disney Imagineering. As some others have noted, tons of signage (much of which they've spent the last year updating) has WDW. Will they change the company name, the road signage, the in park signage, ALL the existing merchandise, etc. ?
Not the same scale of it but DHS was MGM Studios before the name change.

bhg469

Im gonna call this one of those discussions that probably 100% happened and it got through a few levels of executives but then was squashed.. One of those people shared the info with someone who shared it with Jim.. This would be lunacy if it actually happens..

Smiley/OCD

Building off of this, they could rename the entire resort Disney Orlando Resort. Magic Kingdom would become Disney World, EPCOT would be Disney EPCOT Park, Disney’s Hollywood Studios would become Disney Hollywood Studios Park and Animal Kingdom would be Disney Animal Kingdom Park. 🤣
I like that Disney Orlando Resort or DOR…as in “Chappie, don’t let the DOR hit you on the way out!”

WorldExplorer

For a company that loves to milk and even sometimes misuse the Walt legacy (especially any of his quotes), no way I’d see this happening. If anything I’d imagine they’d somehow add more Walt Disney to the name like “Disney, Walt Disney Walt Disney World” 😂

In other news, some of y’all got the tin foil hats screwed on super tight tonight.

"Walt's Disney Adventure"

ryguy

The company is a mess.
I stopped caring about anything related to this company since 2018 really. This isn't even a shocking rumor to me anymore. I think my days on this site are numbered, too. Lol.
I am with you. I have been weening Disney out of my life the last few years. It's not as hard as you think. I feel good about it, to me it's the only way to get their attention (not that I am expecting them to care or notice). What Disney fails to realize, once you lose a customer its tough to get them back.

Indy_UK

I can see why a name change would be for consistency but the Walt should remain for Orlando

Disneyland
Disneyland Paris
Hong Hong Disneyland
Disney World

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom